• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end, Nico still has to prove himself and even if he wins the championship, which I don't think he will, it's always going to be tainted by this weekend.

That's alot of drama.

Who didn't do some stupid shit? Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel etc. all don't have a clean record anymore. Rosberg was like a virgin in this regard.

In the end, Nico still has to prove himself and even if he wins the championship, which I don't think he will, it's always going to be tainted by this weekend.

It was exactly about that. Lewis explained the situation in the Sky interview. McLaren has two strategists who look out for the best result for each driver and Mercedes has one, who looks out for the best possible result for the team and the driver leading is the one that gets preference.

And yet when Lewis was leading in Spain they brought him in a lap or two early because Rosoberg's tyres were shot to pieces when Lewis was going purple. This feeds into Lewis's attitude that the team are working to favour Rosberg and not the leader. The shitty pit stops can be forgiven because its clearly not something they can help, shit happens, but bringing Lewis in two laps early when Rosberg was losing over a second a lap clearly favoured the driver running behind.

Again, if Mercedes and Toto are talking about fair racing and the leading driver getting priority strategy then they need to follow through or split the team in two and separate their process because Rosberg is getting some level of support that Lewis has not received.

avaya

And yet when Lewis was leading in Spain they brought him in a lap or two early because Rosoberg's tyres were shot to pieces when Lewis was going purple. This feeds into Lewis's attitude that the team are working to favour Rosberg and not the leader. The shitty pit stops can be forgiven because its clearly not something they can help, shit happens, but bringing Lewis in two laps early when Rosberg was losing over a second a lap clearly favoured the driver running behind.

Again, if Mercedes and Toto are talking about fair racing and the leading driver getting priority strategy then they need to follow through or split the team in two and separate their process because Rosberg is getting some level of support that Lewis has not received.

Wolff is a total total shithound. I can not stand seeing that fucker on TV.

It's the other way around. This way it was impossible that Rosberg would be faster than Hamilton.

Pimpwerx

Teammates used to run separate strategies. I think we saw this change with the advent of the undercut. Stupid tire changes have made that a thing, when it wasn't before. The delta between used and new was never so big. Now that it is, it compromises team running order if both cars are trying to undercut. They'll be operating at or outside the margins of the optimal team strategy, and incur additional risk simply by being less than optimal. It's probably more fair to give lead driver preference then. PEACE.

It's the other way around. This way it was impossible that Rosberg would be faster than Hamilton.
No, they should have left both of them out there. That's the right strategy for the race leader if they are playing that game. Rosberg would just have to suck it up and accept it was not going to be his day. Any other strategy would hand the second placed driver an undue advantage.

cmr-94

Everything is wrong with this. At every point this season the leading driver has had priority. The example you give - if rosberg comes in and has a quick lap or two on fresh rubber, he could undercut lewis. To think the team is favoring rosberg is just plain stupid

Everything is wrong with this. At every point this season the leading driver has had priority. The example you give - if rosberg comes in and has a quick lap or two on fresh rubber, he could undercut lewis. To think the team is favoring rosberg is just plain stupid
See above, leave them both out there. It's not like they were going to be caught by RBR.

NHale

I think Mercedes are going to have to split the garages now and have two separate teams. I can see Lewis wanting to go that way whatever Toto says. If Rosberg wants to play dirty then Lewis needs to get down in the mud and withhold setup information from the other side.

Rosberg basically cheated by fucking up Hamilton's hot lap in qualifying. Hamilton needs to fight back and send a message to the team that he's not going to have that kind of bullshit. Back me or sack me kind of stuff.

Toto can talk all he likes about having unified teams, but if one of the drivers is going to play dirty then it means nothing. In Hamilton's place I would be calling up Alonso tonight asking for tactics and strategy to split the team. Divide and rule.

This post is even more hilarious considering Hamilton used a more powerful engine map in Barcelona despite the team not allowing him to.

And also because you think Hamilton is more important than Mercedes and he can simply demand them to change their philosophy just because he wants.

How many times did Hamilton was involved in a bitter team mate battle when he had clearly the dominant car? 2 out of 2. I would say he doesn't need advice about whining in the radio to the team, being suspicious about everything the team tells him to (or not) do or making childish comments about upbringing of his rival because he's already an expert.

I was hoping for a tight hamilton and rosberg fight during the lasts lap. how does one get something in the eye with a closed visor? unless he opened it in the middle of a lap which is stupid.
Eye lash, eye brow - coulda been something from inside the helmet.

avaya

This post is even more hilarious considering Hamilton used a more powerful engine map in Barcelona despite the team not allowing him to.

And also because you think Hamilton is more important than Mercedes and he can simply demand them to change their philosophy just because he wants.

How many times did Hamilton was involved in a bitter team mate battle when he had clearly the dominant car? 2 out of 2. I would say he doesn't need advice about whining in the radio to the team, being suspicious about everything the team tells him to (or not) do or making childish comments about upbringing of his rival because he's already an expert.

How many times has Hamilton had to deal with 2 privileged white boys losing their shit as he showed them up? 2 out of 2. Not his fault his team mates can't handle their shit.

NHale

How many times has Hamilton had to deal with 2 privileged white boys losing their shit as he showed them up? 2 out of 2. Not his fault his team mates can't handle their shit.

So it's because he is black after all. #blessed #godisgreat

malyce

This thread going places lol. Ham just needs to chill and does what he does best on the track. The winner of the Monaco go was decided on Saturday. There's not much he could have done about it. Its racing and shit happens. He just needs to stay focused on track and keep the off track politics and drama to a minimum. Keep it together and avoid dnfs and the championship is his. 3 out of Nico's 4 wins since they've been teammates have asterisk beside them.

So it's because he is black after all. #blessed #godisgreat
But this is the issue. You all hate on Hamilton because he likes hip hop or like a bit of bling, basically because he doesn't fit into the same model as all other racing drivers. I personally couldn't give a shit about his personal life or tastes but look at this thread, a whole bunch of white people taking the piss out of a black guy because he is aligned with black culture. You just did it whether or not you realise it.

I like Hamilton's racing style and I believe he is the fastest guy out there at the moment, that he is black or into black culture has no bearing on his driving ability and it is all nonsense. Your post says everything I need to know about your attitude to him, and it's disgusting.

ramparter

Banned

What's the story behind this? If true then damn that guy, he is an unbelievable loser. Now I know why I never liked him in the first place - other than costing Nando his 3rd title.

But this is the issue. You all hate on Hamilton because he likes hip hop or like a bit of bling, basically because he doesn't fit into the same model as all other racing drivers. I personally couldn't give a shit about his personal life or tastes but look at this thread, a whole bunch of white people taking the piss out of a black guy because he is aligned with black culture. You just did it whether or not you realise it.

Formula 1 - not a bunch of rich kids.

Hamilton isn't somekind of black ghetto kid but his father was IT manager and bought him an own kart when he was a little child.

NHale

I like Hamilton's racing style and I believe he is the fastest guy out there at the moment, that he is black or into black culture has no bearing on his driving ability and it is all nonsense. Your post says everything I need to know about your attitude to him, and it's disgusting.

No I didn't and never did. I don't care about who is white or black because that doesn't mean anything. It's never a source of an argument for me. Only used it because Lewis used it once at Monaco to try to say the stewards were against him because he was black. And the hashtags are just jokes. The same thing when everyone jokes about Vettel's finger. Or we can't joke anymore because he is black?

And if you want to check, look my post history in this thread when someone last year before the Hungary GP posted a difference image between twitter posts from Hamilton (recording a music track) and Alonso (on Ferrari simulator).

But what is really happening which your post clearly show is exactly the opposite. People trying to imply the stewards, Nico, Mercedes, the stars and the ocean are against Lewis just because of his skin color. Which is shameful and delusional.

What's the story behind this? If true then damn that guy, he is an unbelievable loser. Now I know why I never liked him in the first place - other than costing Nando his 3rd title.

That's what Niki Lauda said today. But maybe he's also conspiring against Hamilton.

FuturusX

End of the day Hamilton is going to come back stronger and consistently beat Nico on traditional circuits where "accidents" will not define who qualifies on the pole.

Can Nico raise his game? Possibly...but not likely.

"I drove with all heart and drove fairly all weekend. I leave today quite happy and go in to the next race with even more energy and a new determination."

Welp.

Wtf?

Ok, so he used the more aggressive engine map even though the team told him not to. It's in the same category of offence as Vettel's "tough luck" and it didn't even cost the team anything.

All you anti-Hamilton people are absolutely oozing hate. I see no logical underpinning to your criticism of him. Yes, he has terrible taste in music and fashion but on track he is nothing more than assertive.

Hamilton supporters like Zomg can cite distinct actions from Mercedes which (coincidentally or not) have favoured Rosberg. Just because he's whiny doesn't mean his complaints have no merit.

As they say in politics, argue the issues and not the man.

Even then you have no reason to be so hateful.

... and he apologised to his team.

He didn't cost Nando anything. Nando cost himself the WDC in 2007. Can't believe we are going back there.

No I didn't and never did. I don't care about who is white or black because that doesn't mean anything. It's never a source of an argument for me. Only used it because Lewis used it once at Monaco to try to say the stewards were against him because he was black. And the hashtags are just jokes. The same thing when everyone jokes about Vettel's finger. Or we can't joke anymore because he is black?

And if you want to check, look my post history in this thread when someone last year before the Hungary GP posted a difference image between twitter posts from Hamilton (recording a music track) and Alonso (on Ferrari simulator).

But what is really happening which your post clearly show is exactly the opposite. People trying to imply the stewards, Nico, Mercedes, the stars and the ocean are against Lewis just because of his skin color. Which is shameful and delusional.

That's what Niki Lauda said today. But maybe he's also conspiring against Hamilton.

Can they just be allowed to do what they want? Lewis recorded a music track, fine. He won that Hungarian GP in dominant fashion... What does that say about your point?

NHale

Can they just be allowed to do what they want? Lewis recorded a music track, fine. He won that Hungarian GP in dominant fashion... What does that say about your point?

And my point was what exactly? Did I say it mattered? Did you even look at the post to reply like that? You don't have to look that far on my post history since even in March I posted this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104774214&postcount=1862

Also serves to anyone else trying to attack me because of "hate" or anything worse. It's a shame that this thread had to go so low and I regret being a part of this.

And my point was what exactly? Did I say it mattered? Fortunately for me my post history already has my responses to this subject and 2 months in advance as well: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104774214&postcount=1862

Also serves to anyone else trying to attack me because of "hate" or anything worse. It's a shame that this thread had to go so low and I regret being a part of this. I guess I have to learn to stop posting here and let this thread to the fans of the winning driver.

That's a fair assessment, btw.

Different topic: Apparently, on Spanish TV, Whiting said he thought ROS did park the car deliberately.

Nicktendo86

Going on about the pit stops. He is a winner, he wants to push the team, but he talks to them over the radio like they are purposely disadvantaging him. It must be demoralising for his engineers to hear that, and he needs to keep his head in the game or mistakes will happen. Going on about the pit stop while the race is ongoing won't change anything, have the discussion after.

Edit: tweets from Marc Priestly, ex McLaren enginner:

Before all the Lewis fans start complaining, I'm a big fan of his driving, but not so much of the way he conducts himself within the team.

Fully get LH emotionally charged during GP & it's certainly not just him, but it frustrates team when drivers think they've been had over.

FuturusX

Senna was the same. Alonso and Vettel too. They demand the best and are not afraid to tell you. Step up your game or hire mediocre drivers like Button and Massa.

Antti

Jesus Christ...that's low.

Senna was the same. Alonso and Vettel too. They demand the best and are not afraid to tell you. Step up your game or hire mediocre drivers like Button and Massa.

In this very race, in the face of actual problems, we had a frustrated "Come on guys" from Vettel, followed immediately by "no, I'm sure you're doing your best." And Vettel has the reputation for being a whiner.

Nicktendo86

I don't seem to have heard this amount of criticism from Hamilton before though, even during the dark days of McLaren fuck ups. Unless my memory is wrong? This is easily the best/most dominant car he has ever had, you would imagine he would be more relaxed relative to previous seasons, maybe he really feels the team are favouring rosberg? I dunno :/

FuturusX

In this very race, in the face of actual problems, we had a frustrated "Come on guys" from Vettel, followed immediately by "no, I'm sure you're doing your best." And Vettel has the reputation for being a whiner.

Do you really want to dig up Vettel's radio transmissions?

End of the day these guys are operating under a great pressure and are being asked to be the best they can be at all times. The tension will always spill over. Deal with it.

I don't seem to have heard this amount of criticism from Hamilton before though, even during the dark days of McLaren fuck ups. Unless my memory is wrong? This is easily the best/most dominant car he has ever had, you would imagine he would be more relaxed relative to previous seasons, maybe he really feels the team are favouring rosberg? I dunno :/

Nico's 'accident' clouded the whole weekend. In terms of team chemistry it affected the mood around the team. Lewis felt that Nico has not conducted himself fairly and he's probably transposing that into the strategy.

Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton are all cut from the same cloth. They want a team built around them in service of them. They all want to be number 1.

The bigger story here is what's going on at Red Bull. Vettel is falling into the clutches of being a number 2.

Rosberg has been there longer and he is a German in a nominally German team. There have been specific occasions where the team seem to have given Rosberg an advantage that he should not have had, such as bringing them both in two laps earlier in Spain when leaving them both out would have been a better strategy for Lewis. Letting them race in Bahrain when it was a safety car that brought Rosberg into play in the first place rather than any skill to catch up. These decisions can be seen as favouring Rosberg when the stated team strategy is to give the leading driver optimum strategy.

Even after Sepang when Lewis ran away with it the other garage opened up his setup and took away his tactical advantage and destroyed al the work they had done to build it up.

I think acting like a petulant child is poor form and Lewis but I can see where his paranoia comes from. Especially after two seasons at McLaren where the team were developing the car in a direction which suited his team mate's driving style and not his.

Nicktendo86

Yeah I get that, needs to assert himself on the team. Must feel like a guest in rosberg's team which is wrong as he is the superior driver. I just don't like the petulance, I slag Vettel off for it so would be double standards if I don't call out Hamilton :p

Oh, and Rosberg clearly parked the car in qually, should never have been on pole.

Going on about the pit stops. He is a winner, he wants to push the team, but he talks to them over the radio like they are purposely disadvantaging him. It must be demoralising for his engineers to hear that, and he needs to keep his head in the game or mistakes will happen. Going on about the pit stop while the race is ongoing won't change anything, have the discussion after.

Edit: tweets from Marc Priestly, ex McLaren enginner:

You should know that Priestley is hardly impartial. He's always had it in for Alonso and Lewis.

He's getting destroyed on his own Twitter account for these unsubstantiated remarks.

Nicktendo86

Wow at Hamilton's comments on the BBC, asked what will he have to win in Canada and replied the speed, when he gets pole will win the right way. Shots.fired.

Measured comments reported by Adam Cooper.

Lewis Hamilton: “I was driving with one eye…”
Lewis Hamilton was forced to give up his chase of Nico Rosberg in Monaco after getting some debris in his eye.

In the closing laps he lost some nine second to his team mate, and came under threat from Daniel Ricciardo. Until then he had been pushing Rosberg hard.

“I’ve never really had it before,” said Hamilton after his eye problem. “I kept making sure my visor was as closed as possible but I had quite a bit of wind coming in. I got close to Nico at one stage and all of a sudden I got a bit of debris in my eye, or some dirt, so I was driving with one eye, which is virtually impossible to do and so through the low-speed corners I was trying to open up my visor to clear it up but it was just making it worse. Fortunately, I think with five laps to go it cleared up so I was able to stay ahead of Daniel.”

Regarding his fight with Rosberg, he said: “All the races have been very, very close but this weekend I think I had very good pace. I drove with all my heart and gave it all I could, fairly, and I feel like I drove fairly all weekend. So I leave today quite happy and I can go into the next race with even more energy and determination.

“Generally, there is a fierce battle between me and Nico and it will continue that way to I’m sure quite late in the season. Nico’s not had a single hiccup through the season so far. Obviously I had a car that didn’t finish in Melbourne but otherwise it’s still quite close, so I’m just going to keep my head up, keep pushing. I know the team are working hard for the both of us. The team can sometimes be in awkward positions, which they were yesterday, and their job is really to protect us both, and that’s what they did.”

Consider the context. He won 4 of the 6 races of the season and he's still in 2nd place, to a driver who, let's be honest, isn't on the same level as Hamilton and Alonso.

The only reason he didn't win Melbourne and Monaco is because of factors outside his control. Yesterday Nico was cleared by the FIA but they're no paragon of transparency or honesty, combined with the vitriol from the public, he's bound to be pissed.

And when was the last time a pit stop or team decision gave him an advantage over Nico vs the opposite?

The last ten laps or so really salvaged what had mostly been a disappointing race. Great result for Bianchi. Funnily enough, just before the highlights started I was wondering what had been up with him so far this season, as he's hardly been thrashing Chilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom