• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

I watch F1 for places like sector 1 in Suzuka, Copse, Maggotts and Becketts at Silverstone or for places like Spa and the Nurburgring, where REAL racing and history is made.
Monaco?

Monaco has a good third sector. I love everything from the tunnel to the starting line.

Fox Mulder

Not really no. Handful of kamikaze overtakes, but it's Monaco... if it's not raining it's probably not going to be exciting.

I need to look up videos of rainy monaco.

the ai cars in f1 2014 made it pretty interesting in the rain during my career mode race there. Like the top ten got wrecked at the first turn.

No apology necessary! :)
I´m probably my usual bad at explaining, but my point is: when everyone involved absolutely loves this race, then there can´t be something fundamentally wrong with it?

It's got far more to do with the spectacle than anything else. Massive dose of celebrity, style and fashion to go with the usual racing.

Problem for me is I don't give a shit about any of that... so whilst I love qualifying (pretty much the best qualifying in F1), you can keep the race because the win is pretty much bolted on for whoever got pole.

pants

Great clip but what in the hell was Hakkinen trying to do by running to Irvine's Ferrari?

Whatever is was, he's lucky the marshal stopped him. Irvine didnt take shit from anyone.

Literally everything is better in that clip than this year. Better engines, better chassis, better commentary, better on screen graphics, better camera angles. :(

Yeah, 1996 and 1989 are two of my very favorite seasons.

Ewl43WQ.jpg

uyCWBdK.jpg

xS3hj3Y.jpg

zblkMnV.jpg

iRDJ0aO.jpg

Jeez looking at that picture I just realized Mercedes has been with Mclaren since 1994. That's got to be the record for a privateer x manufacturer engine supply deal

hamchan

The Monaco Grand Prix is worth it for the onboard footage alone imo. It really lets you appreciate the skills these drivers posses.

Yes. I love just watching the Senna Monaco onboard footage occasionally. It's one of the most terrifying tracks from that perspective.

I don't think it's a very good race because of the lack of overtaking but I think I'd love it if they just did time trials the whole weekend.

Ark

I've just realised; I miss seeing Vettel at the top. I don't mean I miss his domination, but I miss seeing him fighting in the top 3, not just for best of the rest.

Maybe the last 5 years have just caused me some stockholm syndrome.

I miss seeing Alonso up there too.

EDIT: And it'd be nice to see Button up there too. Oh what the heck, give us another championship like 2010 already.

Rather than host grand prix in places that couldnt care less about F1, why doesnt Formula 1 go back to the Imola circuit.
It's not a modern Tilke track, but I believe it could host races as exciting as the ones in 05 and 06, not to mention the tifosi will turn out and help create an electric atmosphere in the stands. Its absolutely criminal that this circuit isnt back on the F1 calender, fuck Azerbaijan and fuck that New Jersey track that will never materialize

Draconian

Rather than host grand prix in places that couldnt care less about F1, why doesnt Formula 1 go back to the Imola circuit.
It's not a modern Tilke track, but I believe it could host races as exciting as the ones in 05 and 06, not to mention the tifosi will turn out and help create an electric atmosphere in the stands. Its absolutely criminal that this circuit isnt back on the F1 calender, fuck Azerbaijan and fuck that New Jersey track that will never materialize

Because money.

It's a real shame too.

Fruitster

Yeah, Imola is still a great track. Pre 94 it was a fantastic track, but even after that it's still a better track than most on the F1 schedule at the moment. Need more tracks like that back, along with Mexico's old circuit, maybe Estoril. You really appreciate the old tracks now that they seem lost to F1 forever.

Hammer24

Banned
Who of you guys asked about VET chassis couple weeks ago? Can now confirm it was not bent. New chassis is as planned in the RBR dev roadmap. Problem is, they are right now simultaneously developing in so many different directions, that they spread their resources thin. Second chassis will come one month later. And yes, VET is still their #1 driver, so he got it first.
But don´t sweat, RIC fans, its said to be disappointing and not faster than the old one.

Hammer24

Banned
Yeah, Imola is still a great track. Pre 94 it was a fantastic track, but even after that it's still a better track than most on the F1 schedule at the moment. Need more tracks like that back, along with Mexico's old circuit, maybe Estoril. You really appreciate the old tracks now that they seem lost to F1 forever.

Most would need extensive investments to get to current safety standards - and are in countries that simply can´t afford those. We have to face the reality, that its now a luxury to even have some races in Europe at all.
For the record, I´d love to see Kyalami back.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
If Ferrari engine update in Canada and aero upgrade in Austria won't work, they will probably switch their focus to 2015 after Monza at latest

Fruitster

Most would need extensive investments to get to current safety standards - and are in countries that simply can´t afford those. We have to face the reality, that its now a luxury to even have some races in Europe at all.

Sadly you are right. Just as how F1 moved on from tracks like the old Nurburgring and Osterriechring due to safety standards, costs (cheers Bernie!) it looks like the same again for a lot of the tracks that were part of F1 in the nineties. Thankfully we still have tracks like Spa, Suzuka and Montreal. Kyalami would be great to see back. Not been used since 93 but was there something about it possibly coming back?

itsgreen

I'm happy to see the A1 Ring back on the calendar...

Would really love Imola to be race #4 again :)

I still think that a true European Grand Prix would be the best idea. One that moves to another circuit every season. (From a pool of at least 3/4 circuits, not just alternating)

Dilly

Banned

That luxury is self created by the sport though, and primarily Ecclestone, no?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Interesting fact - in 1997 and 1998, second race in Germany hold the title of 'Luxembourg Grand Prix',due to the fact that FIA allow only one race per country. Nurburgring is quite close to Luxembourg, so they used nearby country as host. German GP was held at Hockenheim.

Same with Imola - racetrack is not in San Marino, but outside of its boundaries, but it held title of "San Marino Grand Prix".

This is also the reason for the title "European Grand Prix" to appear - second race in Germany(1999-2007) or Spain (2008-2012 at Valencia) held this title.

Juicy Bob

I always found Imola races to be boring, to be honest.

We all remember the drama of 2005 and 2006, but those races demonstrated just how difficult a circuit it was to pass on. It's too narrow and has too many chicanes to produce good racing in F1 anymore.

Hammer24

Banned

Yes and no. A large portion must be attributed to the very much heightened safety regulations, that teams and drivers pushed for as well.
And don´t forget, that the teams want and need the money handed out at the end of the season. Without the high associated costs put to the track organizers, there would be no money to be handed out. And thus by now no more small teams at all.

Lach

Interesting fact - in 1997 and 1998, second race in Germany hold the title of 'Luxembourg Grand Prix',due to the fact that FIA allow only one race per country. Nurburgring is quite close to Luxembourg, so they used nearby country as host. German GP was held at Hockenheim.

Same with Imola - racetrack is not in San Marino, but outside of its boundaries, but it held title of "San Marino Grand Prix".

This is also the reason for the title "European Grand Prix" to appear - second race in Germany(1999-2007) or Spain (2008-2012 at Valencia) held this title.

There are a few other examples of this. For example the last few Swiss Grand Prix were held in France after car racing was banned in Switzerland...
[edit] Actually only one in 1982. There was a Swiss Grand Prix in Dijon in 1975 but that wasn't an official F1 venue...

James Allison: Working at Ferrari sucks

"There is a wealth of talent at Ferrari, the experience and quality of the people on the technical side is a match for any team," Allison told the BBC.

"It is a question of giving them the encouragement to actually go off and do more unusual things and then have the time to look at them and know that if they fail it's OK because there's still time to put a back-up plan in place and for that to work.

"Creativity and originality will only come if you set out to allow the engineers in your organisation the space and the time to do that.

"If you force them to operate with their back against the wall, up against deadlines that are very tight, then there is no time for them to think about how they might approach something differently."

Ferrari's poor form - at the start of this season and in the last few years - contributed to the resignation of Team Principal Stefano Domenicali last month, while President Luca Di Montezemolo confirmed that Scuderia are in the middle of an internal restructure.

Allison added that Ferrari are expecting a big step up in performance at the next race, in Canada in a fortnight's time.

"We all - the big teams that is - have similar-sized facilities. It is very difficult to achieve a rate of improvement that is substantially different to the people we are fighting with," he continued.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9327528/-Lack-of-creativity-stifling-Ferrari-

I always found Imola races to be boring, to be honest.

We all remember the drama of 2005 and 2006, but those races demonstrated just how difficult a circuit it was to pass on. It's too narrow and has too many chicanes to produce good racing in F1 anymore.

Remove the Ariante Bassa chicane as they seem to have done and that means the run down to the Tambarello corner after the exit from Rivazza is flat out. The braking point into Tambarello would be as good an opportunity as any for overtakes.
PDM.jpg

Nicktendo86

Who of you guys asked about VET chassis couple weeks ago? Can now confirm it was not bent. New chassis is as planned in the RBR dev roadmap. Problem is, they are right now simultaneously developing in so many different directions, that they spread their resources thin. Second chassis will come one month later. And yes, VET is still their #1 driver, so he got it first.
But don´t sweat, RIC fans, its said to be disappointing and not faster than the old one.

Thanks for the update Hammer, lots of people questioned how it wouldeven be possible for a carbon fiber tub to get bent, sounds like they were right.

I really hope RB get on top of the issues Vettel has been having, in terms of the ERS and everything not working. I want to see a fair fight between him and Danny. For what it's worth, I think Danny would continue to beat him.

Fox Mulder

you see the rush for new facilities in all kinds of sports though. Just a reality of current sports.

plus drivers wanted all the safety standards that old tracks probably can't accommodate without massive changes and cash.

Hammer24

Banned
I really hope RB get on top of the issues Vettel has been having, in terms of the ERS and everything not working. I want to see a fair fight between him and Danny. For what it's worth, I think Danny would continue to beat him.

By now there are enough unhappy people at RBR and REN that would tell you, that VET and his inability to change his style of driving is the problem, and at least some of the failures are to attribute to him "overdriving" the car in certain scenarios. A car is not always breaking just for one driver, contrary to what WEB fans would lead you to believe ;)

You realize 3/4 of this thread has called out Vettel for the stuff he did over the last 4 years right. This isn't a complaint unique to Hamilton, he just has the spotlight at the moment.

Vettel is a special type of asshole whose closest comparison would be shuey however i dont think vettel is anywhere near the driver that he was in terms of skill...he has just had the luxury of having the best car on the grid for the past 4 years and now they don't.

I have had the hugest shit eating grin on my face everytime his car blows up or gets out qualified by Danny......there is defiantly a championship somewhere down the line but at the moment I still think Alonso is the best driver on the grid and he is by far a better sportsman

But Sportsmanship does not win championships....Vettell proves that

gunther

At first I was happy that Vettel was having it rough, but know is just sad. He will come back and he has to for hte good of the sport.

pants

Vettel is a special type of asshole whose closest comparison would be shuey however i dont think vettel is anywhere near the driver that he was in terms of skill...he has just had the luxury of having the best car on the grid for the past 4 years and now they don't.

I have had the hugest shit eating grin on my face everytime his car blows up or gets out qualified by Danny......there is defiantly a championship somewhere down the line but at the moment I still think Alonso is the best driver on the grid and he is by far a better sportsman

But Sportsmanship does not win championships....Vettell proves that
Other non Hamilton drivers gets shit. (This was my point, you're quoting me out of context)

Give me a break, they're nothing like each other. Alonso was nastier in his bad days, Schumacher was nastier, Senna was nastier.

I really don't get where people have built up this Vettel = Hitler mentality from.

I am an Aussie so lets get the Webber love on the table and in full view but i dont think vettell has been in a situation where he has been pushed and forced to pull off the impossible....the car pretty much gift wrapped his championships

Alonso..Hamilton actually fought and put in some really good examples of driving to win their respective championships

Vettell won by having the best car on the grid not from driving....he is also boring as fuck to watch race and for the past 2 years i switched off the tv after the first 10 laps as it was a predictable ...Webber shit start....Vettell overtakes gets pole and zooms off ...it was then a shootout of Ferrari or Mclaren or if Webber was on the ball and had one of his on days

id love to see a musical chairs in F1 where they put a random F1 driver in another car...could you imagine Kobyashi is a Merc???...wed have highlights for years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom