• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer24

Banned
The most public oligarchs (Abramovich, Usmanov, AAR) are not good investors but there are plenty who are and just stay in the background. Unsurprisingly most people haven't heard of them despite their vast wealth and overseas investment, they prefer it that way though.

And then there are a lot of in-betweeners, like f.i. Mordashov. I´d still say Gulf money is much preferred.

So apparantly Hammy's 'smiling at the data' was that he saw he would have been on pole and that he was much faster than Nico, which led to him to believe he was the moral Victor in qual and that Nico really did scupper his lap.

I seem to remember a similar statement at Monaco in 2007, when he was sulking that he didnt win and what happened after that...
Will we see Nico overdrive into T1 at Canada this year...

Nicktendo86

I have no doubt in my mind, whether he did it on purpose of not, that Hamilton was on course for pole and should have won the race.

However, that didn't happen, and Hamilton needs to get over it and keep his head focused on the next race. So much of this season still to go, he is clearly miles faster than Rosberg, this is his championship to lose. That is why I am so critical of him moaning about pit stops etc on team radio, there is nothing he can do at the point of time to change things that have happened and he is letting himself get distracted.

He really is his worst enemy sometimes.

Internal Monaco fallout in Mclaren.
Ron backs Hammy, tells Alonso to be nice to be nice to him, implying he should have won. Alonso flips as he was driving a measured race (on his side of the garage) and won comfortably.

Internal lines were drawn and Alonso saw red and literally overdrove the car in Canada, he doesnt usually make mistakes but something upset him enough to mess up the first few corners that year.

So will the lines be drawn at Merc, Canada is a raw pace track and Hammy is perhaps the fastest driver in F1, what will Nico come up with to try and match him...

kiyomi

So apparantly Hammy's 'smiling at the data' was that he saw he would have been on pole and that he was much faster than Nico, which led to him to believe he was the moral Victor in qual and that Nico really did scupper his lap.

I seem to remember a similar statement at Monaco in 2007, when he was sulking that he didnt win and what happened after that...
Will we see Nico overdrive into T1 at Canada this year...

Why would Nico over-drive into T1 because of Hamilton's apparent sulking?

Hamilton will want to do what he usually does at Canada which is go bloody fast. I don't see Rosberg as the type of driver to do something silly into T1. He'll settle for 2nd place if he has to.

because he will likely be outqualified by hammy and he will start in P2.
He will be insensed by the internal bullshit going on in Merc and will do his best to be leading out of T3.
He knows he has to do something special in the first sector.
Its going to be all out (modern) war at Merc from here to the end.

Hammer24

Banned
Internal Monaco fallout in Mclaren.
Ron backs Hammy, tells Alonso to be nice to be nice to him, implying he should have won. Alonso flips as he was driving a measured race (on his side of the garage) and won comfortably.

Internal lines were drawn and Alonso saw red and literally overdrove the car in Canada, he doesnt usually make mistakes but something upset him enough to mess up the first few corners that year.

So will the lines be drawn at Merc, Canada is a raw pace track and Hammy is perhaps the fastest driver in F1, what will Nico come up with to try and match him...

Hmm, I would like to argue that:
- HAM is much more mature now
- ROS is no ALO, both very different from an emotional pov
- Ron is no Lauda/Wolff, Ron was never any good at any kind of open discussion. He´s the man for the four-eyes-talk; L/W will keep everything out in the opne, with as many people as possible involved, so that no misunderstandings will happen

Next race, I expect HAM to drive damn fast. And ROS too. For them, this WDC is a marathon, not a sprint, and I don´t expect boneheaded driving even with the pressure to put onto each other.

I predict that there is going to be two camps in Merc now, Merc will try to make a public view that all is fine and they are racing but in his mind Hammy Believes Nico cheated to take the Monaco win away from him.
There is no going back now I Believe.
Yes, he is older but he is not more mature, the amount of questionable comments and decisions he has made since 2007 is increasing.

And I wouldnt discount Nico, he has showed his ruthlessness many times in the past.
remember when he was running cars off the track at Bahrain?

Now its a different situation. both of them know there is a 50% chance they are going to be WDC... but who will it be?

intentional or not, war was declared last weekend and it was also shown that Lauda could not change Hammy's mind.
Wait until 4 races time...he will be Calling them maniacs and he has no control over them.

kiyomi

because he will likely be outqualified by hammy and he will start in P2.
He will be insensed by the internal bullshit going on in Merc and will do his best to be leading out of T3.
He knows he has to do something special in the first sector.
Its going to be all out (modern) war at Merc from here to the end.

I dunno about that, I think Rosberg is smart enough to acknowledge when he's not as quick as Hamilton. When that happens in Canada, I don't see him risking a silly move. Right now he should be pretty happy that he's leading the WDC and just won in Monaco (despite the circumstances), so I think he'll be pretty relaxed if he has to settle for 2nd.

I disgree, baring any major upsets/mech/rain/SC. Its going to be Merc 1-2s for the rest of the year.
none of them will be settling for a 2nd Place, 'if you arent first, your last'

Hammer24

Banned
I predict that there is going to be two camps in Merc now,.

Everything may well play out the way you describe, but I strongly disagree with this sentence.
Both sides of the garage want to see their driver win, yes. That's called encouraging competitiveness in a competitive environment. But both drivers will still have full go at each others data. There will absolutely no division within the team when it comes to data, parts and developments. I can only repeat myself, whoever tries to withhold something from someone else in the team, and this goes for absolutely everyone in the team, is a goner. Period.

Nope. You want to finish first, you gotta finish first. Who says there wont be an accident while lapping? Some technical failure? WIL showed in Monaco, that even MER engines can break. Being clever and collecting 2nd places may well be the ticket to the WDC.

kiyomi

I disgree, baring any major upsets/mech/rain/SC. Its going to be Merc 1-2s for the rest of the year.

I think Rosberg has enough confidence to say to himself, "There will be races where I can be quicker.".

Either way, I can't wait for Canada and see the next chapter in this.. drama.

Everything may well play out the way you describe, but I strongly disagree with this sentence.
Both sides of the garage want to see their driver win, yes. That's called encouraging competitiveness in a competitive environment. But both drivers will still have full go at each others data. There will absolutely no division within the team when it comes to data, parts and developments. I can only repeat myself, whoever tries to withhold something from someone else in the team, and this goes for absolutely everyone in the team, is a goner. Period.

Nope. You want to finish first, you gotta finish first. Who says there wont be an accident while lapping? Some technical failure? WIL showed in Monaco, that even MER engines can break. Being clever and collecting 2nd places may well be the ticket to the WDC.

Im not so sure they would be a goner, I dont see them being able to exercise that amount of Control. L/W proved it last weekend. Merc do seem to have alot of managers and no one with a favourite like El-Ron, but lets see.
The data is usually the first to go.

Hammy is historically fast at Canada, Nico will know that, hence he will try everything possible to beat him, there will be no second place acceptance here.
Imagine the hammer blow to hammy that would be?
But the likelyhood is that hammy will win... but lets see.

I blame it all on Ross Brawn.

When teams unnecessarily use team orders to manipulate races, they destroy any chance of harmony between drivers. The paranoia of preference never fades.

Mercedes fired Barwn, and changed tack, but the damage is already done. The well is poisoned.

Team orders - terrible, terrible management. Never do it.

I dont see that stopping them :)

Anyways, its all total speculation.
Some nice articles in the last two Days:
JAF1 on pit stop strats in Monaco, here is a choice clip:

If Hamilton had pitted and there had been no Safety Car he would have been behind the Ferraris and could have been vulnerable to Ferrari deliberately leaving one of their cars out to block him while the other built a gap. Given that the “blocking” car would be Alonso, this is doubtful, but you never know.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/...lan-to-beat-nico-rosberg-in-monaco-pit-stops/

Thats pretty hilarious.

And the SSF1 conclusions, I usually agree with 95% of Gills comments:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/22058/9326473/conclusions-from-the-2014-monaco-gp

BopNoqLCAAAa0Di.jpg

Alonso has taken a photo from within Ferrari's simulator. Looks like they might be using 3D glasses?

NHale

Hammy is historically fast at Canada, Nico will know that, hence he will try everything possible to beat him, there will be no second place acceptance here.
Imagine the hammer blow to hammy that would be?

It will not matter in the end and I truly believe both Lewis and Nico know very well that the championship is not decided in Canada if they go 1-2. But if either one of them overdrives and ends on the barrier that could very well end up deciding the championship unless RBR recovers and is able to steal points from them.

1 DNF takes 4 races to recover the 25pt deficit so I have no doubt that DNFs will end up being the decider in the end especially now that Nico showed some fighting spirit in him.

Hammer24

Banned
1 DNF takes 4 races to recover the 25pt deficit so I have no doubt that DNFs will end up being the decider in the end especially now that Nico showed some fighting spirit in him.

And on top we still have this double-points-bullshit at the end of the season.

And on top we still have this double-points-bullshit at the end of the season.

or it could be Amazing, could add some real drama to the last race.
lets hold out until we see it.

I would think that F1 could embrace a fight to the finish top 6 battle.
And before the crowd goes wild, it could stop the focus onto next years car halfway through the season and make the second half interesting.

But again, lets see...

Hammer24

Banned
or it could be Amazing, could add some real drama to the last race.
lets hold out until we see it.

I really hope the WDC will only be decided in the very last race, double points or not.

I would think that F1 could embrace a fight to the finish top 6 battle.

I personally would not want something like that, but maybe I´m simply too old to embrace these kind of changes. *shrugs*

So, assuming the differential from 1st to 2nd is 7 points per race normally, that would make the last one worth 14. Ehh... short of a DNF I don't think it's going to be enough to give Rosberg the championship at that point as I think Hamilton is going to be a long way ahead.

Maybe he can pay someone to crash into Hamilton.

I just looked at Wikipedia to try and handicap Brazil. A single podium between the both of them! Statiscally, I'd imagine its got to be one of Lewis' worst tracks. I'd have to look closer to get a clearer picture on Nico.

Hammer24

Banned
I would say a 4 win streak, and until Monaco where the only one he didnt win was because he didnt finish would make him the clear favourite.

But Monaco was the first race this season, where he showed some pressure getting to him. And a DNF, no matter why, is always possible. *plays-devils-advocate*

Well, I dont think pressure was on an menu on the track where you cant OT, if he beaten in Canada, then the question will be asked.
Lets see, Nico has to dig deep and Hammy may implode, so its nots decided yet, but the trend is there.

So you expect HAM to win out? I´d say that's a bold prediction, as we are still in May.

If I thought I had any chance of getting a meaningful return on it I'd stick £500 on it right now and not bat an eyelid. Short of an injury it's as close to a sure thing in sport as I'm ever likely to see.

Ark

Apparently we're assuming Mercedes is just going to carbon copy 2007 McLaren? Most of the reason for that was Ron and the team being stupid (surprise). The only thing that could cause this fallout to explode are the drivers themselves, and I am firmly of the belief that Mercedes, and Lauda especially, can control them both.

Jibbed

Jumping to conclusions the forum.

Fixed. I still think there's more to this than 'locking his rear brakes' or whatever. As an occasional driver myself, those steering inputs baffled me. All the other guys I was watching the race with jumped out of their seats when it happened.

It's in the past now anyway, roll on Canada.

Hammer24

Banned
OK, I give up.
When facts and detailed explanations by an expert, whose experience and position put him pretty much above all doubt can´t erase silly conspiracy theories, because some fans jumped from their seats - than its just no fun coming here.
I think I take a break and step away from this thread for a while.

DBT85

At least there's a mat for that too...

That conclusions board is wrong. It says moot which is correct. The internet as a whole continually and incorrectly says mute instead. I charge that the jump to conclusions mat be changed. All in favour?

AcridMeat

Banned
Not reading anything as I'll be watching the Monaco GP tomorrow, but just finished qualifying as I was told to. HAHAHHAHAHAH Rosberg you Schumacher copycat scumbag.

Hopefully a good race! (Won't check here until I'm done).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
If Marussia keeps their place in points, they will receive additional 30 million $ at the end of the season.
F1's prize money structure is based on a complicated system that rewards long-term competitiveness rather than results over a single season.

Any team that finishes in the top ten during a single year earns what is known as a 'Column 2' payment - which is shared equally and worth around $10million. This is what Marussia earned for finishing 10th last year.

However, if a team finishes in the top ten for two years out of three, it then also receives what is known as a 'Column 1' payment based on its finishing position in the constructors' championship.

Tenth place is worth around $30million extra - and should Marussia hold on to ninth, then its earnings could jump to a massive $50million due to a $40 million Column 1 payment and $10million for Column 2.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114170

Razgreez

Derek Warwick explains why Rosberg was deemed not to have cheated:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9329209/Wawrick-explains-Rosberg-decision

We've seen the stewards make illogical decisions so many times that this "erring on the side of caution" approach was to be expected. Lest we forget that up until recent times drivers were, more often than not, not punished for running into others and destroying their races (RAI - SUT Monaco 2008 for example). I maintain that mistakes are fine as long as they don't directly affect other drivers negatively - may even bring into context the effects of mistakes which bring out safety cars and affect the order of races and championships (purposefully or inadvertently) but we shan't go there

I have no doubt in my mind that Rosberg knew exactly what he was doing and that even "if" he didn't his "mistake" directly affected others.

That conclusions board is wrong. It says moot which is correct. The internet as a whole continually and incorrectly says mute instead. I charge that the jump to conclusions mat be changed. All in favour?

I'd have said "aye" but your grammar just gave me a headache :p

OK, I give up.
When facts and detailed explanations by an expert, whose experience and position put him pretty much above all doubt can´t erase silly conspiracy theories, because some fans jumped from their seats - than its just no fun coming here.

Please dont i love your insight, forget the f#ckwits.

Hasney

OK, I give up.

Aw, please don't. Unfortunately, people see what they want to see, but they can be ignored. Even added to a list to ignore them! They're not worth it and we'd miss you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom