• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an Aussie so lets get the Webber love on the table and in full view but i dont think vettell has been in a situation where he has been pushed and forced to pull off the impossible....the car pretty much gift wrapped his championships
That might very well be true, but that doesn't make him the sort of person you're suggesting he is. Sure, he used his status in the team to his advantage but you're comparing him to people who literally lied, cheated and backstabbed to win. Hell, Schumacher was willing to crash into people to win.

dubc35

I'm more and more impressed with Alonso. He's had a dog car for years now. He almost won WDC in 2012 and is winning the championship this year* while Raikkonen only has 17 points.

* MER excluded as they have already locked up WDC/WCC.

Just noticed I'm up to 2nd in the manager league (and none of that joint-with-ten-other-people bollocks either). Already looks like there's an insurmountable gap to first though, sadly. Ho hum.

And seriously guys, has no one continued with GP Predictor?

DBT85

Button saying Hamilton could well destroy Rosberg in Canada, as its exactly what he would do to him at McLaren after a weekend didn't go well.

Hammer24

Banned
Well, that's exactly what you gotta do if you want to excel at your job - put every bit of energy -positive AND negative- into your work.
Canada will be great. And with this years cars, I predict at least three kisses for the wall of champions! :)

dubc35

I expect Lewis to dominate Canada as well. He just placed P2 to Nico and he has always been good in Montreal.

Just noticed I'm up to 2nd in the manager league (and none of that joint-with-ten-other-people bollocks either). Already looks like there's an insurmountable gap to first though, sadly. Ho hum.

And seriously guys, has no one continued with GP Predictor?

I haven't check on F1RM after Monaco but before that it seemed like there was no way to get enough money to do anything, at all. Maybe if I nailed some pole times but I have been off. Honestly not too motivated to continue to *play* it since I can't make any moves.

As for GP Predictor, I found it rather boring. I only had one year to play the old F1 RM and I guess I wished it was still running.

He also seemed to be trying out the lingo:

"Mathematically we are right in there", Vettel told Austrian media during an event at the Spielberg circuit on Tuesday.

"We are looking at the situation race-by-race. Of course it did not go well recently but we are looking forward to the next races.

"For sure we made progress and this proves we are on the right path. We won't be favourites in the near future, but over a race distance, anything can happen.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
A. Wurz said before the race on ORF that he expect Mercedes gap to others to widen once again in Canada.

Fruitster

Yeah, Mercedes will clean up in Montreal if they stay reliable. The last section especially is made for that car. Hamilton has always been strong there too, can't see Nico outracing him.

Ark

tumblr_n5vc9bREtC1t1f0hno1_1280.jpg

We're just over one-year away from the 10th anniversary of Alonso's first title, and this year may be the first during his Ferrari career that he doesn't win a race during a season. All the while incredible new talent is emerging in Ricciardo, Kvyat, Hulkenberg, Magnussen, and Grosjean.

That third title is getting further and further away..

DBT85

We're just over one-year away from the 10th anniversary of Alonso's first title, and this year may be the first during his Ferrari career that he doesn't win a race during a season. All the while incredible new talent is emerging in Ricciardo, Kvyat, Hulkenberg, Magnussen, and Grosjean.

I genuinely don't think he can win one at Ferrari now. They can't get Newey and they used Costa as a scapegoat who then went to Mercedes and has built what could easily be the championship winning car. If he has any sense he'll jump to RBR when Ferrari sign Vettel.

Shaneus

That might very well be true, but that doesn't make him the sort of person you're suggesting he is. Sure, he used his status in the team to his advantage but you're comparing him to people who literally lied, cheated and backstabbed to win. Hell, Schumacher was willing to crash into people to win.
Well, Vettel *almost* crashed into Webber in whatever the multi-21 race was. Unless I'm thinking of another one... but I think it was that.

Realistically, what are the chances of Ferrari having a WDC/WCC-winning car in the next few seasons? I have no idea and I know they've gone through some staffing changes recently, but with my limited amount of knowledge, I just don't see it.

Bloody love to see Aloso and Vettel in the same team, though.

On that note, have there been any races this season where neither Danny or Seb have had mechanical problems? I'm trying to think of a time when Dan has outquali'd Seb but the only times I can think of are when Seb seemed to have some kind of mechanical issue.

Fake edit: Looking at some Formula E stuff, it appears to be shaping up as quite a solid series... except for the fact that they're not tying it in any way whatsoever to F1, even as an opening race during every second round or something like that. What a stupid decision.

Well, Vettel *almost* crashed into Webber in whatever the multi-21 race was. Unless I'm thinking of another one... but I think it was that.

It wasn't that close. Rosberg and Hamilton came closer recently.

There was of course the infamous crash, but that was mostly down to Vettel's crashy nature at that point, something he thankfully got a handle on.

On that note, have there been any races this season where neither Danny or Seb have had mechanical problems? I'm trying to think of a time when Dan has outquali'd Seb but the only times I can think of are when Seb seemed to have some kind of mechanical issue.

China was legit wasn't it?

jey_16

Banned

2010 was soul crushing, I still remember staring at the screen and thinking it was a nightmare. 2012 was almost just as bad with the Vettel spin raising my hopes.

Ferrari only one or two steps away from becoming the next McLaren I fear

Shaneus

China was legit wasn't it?
Oh, it may well have been. I wasn't projecting my point of view onto anyone, I just honestly couldn't pick a round from the top of my head where mech. probs weren't an issue.

Edit: Hah, this is great:
sir_jack_brabham_mclaren_go_kart_01-0519-mc:1006x467.jpg

Brabham and Bruce McLaren in a go-kart race. From here.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I genuinely don't think he can win one at Ferrari now. They can't get Newey and they used Costa as a scapegoat who then went to Mercedes and has built what could easily be the championship winning car. If he has any sense he'll jump to RBR when Ferrari sign Vettel.

They only need Flavio, so they would cheat to Moon and back :p

Toto Wolff had a Q&A yesterday on Mercedes AMG Twitter and he confirmed that they are already moving resources to 2015 car. Team will also not tolerate any reckless driving from their drivers, because team is top priority.

pants

I would call a demolition what Schumacher used to do to Barrichello regularly. Was almost like they were driving for different teams.

pants

Reports in the press today that Honda want to buy a majority share in McLaren.

No way Dennis would allow that. If Honda wants a team they will have to buy a smaller/younger outfit like they did with BAR. Lotus would have been a good fit pre mass exodus.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
No way Dennis would allow that. If Honda wants a team they will have to buy a smaller/younger outfit like they did with BAR. Lotus would have been a good fit pre mass exodus.

Plus they would change color of tiling in Mclaren HQ and Ron would have OCD based heart attack.

Allen still dreaming about Newey coming to Ferrari...I wonder how much does he get from Ferrari for that blog.

Nicktendo86

Reports in the press today that Honda want to buy a majority share in McLaren.
Fantastic news, if true, that they want to buy the 50% the Bahrain's hold. While money from the middle east is not bad per say, I wouldn't say it is as stable due to being built on oil and the whims of a few very wealthy people.

Hammer24

Banned
I wouldn't say it is as stable due to being built ... the whims of a few very wealthy people.

Uuuh, I would say that's factually wrong. Many European companies, even very big ones, much prefer gulf money to investments from Russian oligarchs or hedge fonds. Which is pretty much the whole palette of options nowadays. And its because they do not act on a whim, and usually stay out of your day-to-day business.

Nicktendo86

Uuuh, I would say that's factually wrong. Many European companies, even very big ones, much prefer gulf money to investments from Russian oligarchs or hedge fonds. Which is pretty much the whole palette of options nowadays. And its because they do not act on a whim, and usually stay out of your day-to-day business.

I don't know, I would say in the context of a motor sport's company it would be better to have owners who are rooted in motorsport rather than a single, wealthy person? Perhaps I have a romatic view though and am completely wrong! So long as the team is well funded, I don't really care anyway.

Getting investment from a clueless oligarch or oil rich Arab is preferable to a company like Honda for management. Basically because the former group knows nothing about motorsport or auto manufacturing and will just let the team get on with it, the latter would have an agenda and start changing things to their liking. Rich clueless investors are much less likely to interfere and just keep writing the cheques for a bit of prestige.

I don't agree about hedge funds though Hammer, if I had to pick and investor for any business I would rather take it from an established major than a hedge fund.

Hammer24

Banned
I don't agree about hedge funds though Hammer, if I had to pick and investor for any business I would rather take it from an established major than a hedge fund.

Maybe we misunderstand? I´d put the Russian oligarch in the same "unwanted" category as hedge funds - both tend to try to talk into your everyday business decisions.

Maybe we misunderstand? I´d put the Russian oligarch in the same "unwanted" category as hedge funds - both tend to try to talk into your everyday business decisions.

Yes, I didn't read your post properly.

The most public oligarchs (Abramovich, Usmanov, AAR) are not good investors but there are plenty who are and just stay in the background. Unsurprisingly most people haven't heard of them despite their vast wealth and overseas investment, they prefer it that way though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom