• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staab

So goddamn close...
IF Felipe had hit Vettel from the side, the consequences could've been a lot more dramatic, I think.

cmr-94

correct call that rosberg didnt get a penalty for cutting the chicane. weve seen it many times before and a warning has always been given. consistency is consistent

Juicy Bob

Watching from Perez's onboard, he doesn't do anything wrong. It looks like he moves slightly left, but that's only because of the way the track curves. He doesn't turn left.

Hasney

BBC F1 forum are pretty unanimous that it was Massa's fault.

correct call that rosberg didnt get a penalty for cutting the chicane. weve seen it many times before and a warning has always been given. consistency is consistent

Agreed. if Hamilton was going for a move when he did, I'd have the opposite view, but that was fine.

thenexus6

Instagram 40 minutes ago:

u3u0to2.png

Was a damn crazy crash too..

First 30 or so laps were pretty uneventful then soon as Merc has problems it all kicked off.. I was sure at some point Massa was going to win! Very well done to Ric he's my favourite driver on the grid!

This has to be the most positive and satisfying podium interview to watch all season. Hamilton's bitterness in the last couple of races was really souring the victories. Funny how after his retirement, everyone is now all smiles! :p

Come on. That's bullshit. It was one race. He won everything else, there was no need for bitterness and there was none.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Was this the first F1 race from TV director? Cutting to unimportant scenes, missing a lot of action...

Nico for Autosport:

"When you lose ERS it doesn't harvest anymore, then any braking is done by rear braking, so that is why the rear brakes overheated," said Rosberg.

"That made it massively difficult: I needed to cool the brakes and lost speed on the straights.

There is nothing to fine here.

Some of you should watch f1 for more than one fair weather fan season.

the hell are you on about here. the stewards took a Grand Prix victory away from Lewis for cutting a chicane and "gaining an advantage" over Kimi Raikkonen at Spa in 2008. Get out of here with that nonsense.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Scarbs F1 saying it was the control electronics that failed on both Merc.
Hamilton's failed first cos he was following in Rosberg's hot exhaust air for too long.

Edit: Too late, mentioned already.

kiyomi

^ Well I guess I'm closer than I thought...

With all concerned faces on the pitwall I think that something really strange happened.

Almost seems like it would be a software issue that links the two, but it also be quite some significant coincidence.

DrM said:
Was this the first F1 race from TV director? Cutting to unimportant scenes, missing a lot of action...

I was thinking this race that FOM should do picture-in-picture when they cut to replay, the replays are so long sometimes that it always feels like you're gonna miss something.

Igo

Most drivers don't keep their foot in and gain a second when cutting a chicane. They need to put some foam or bumps there to stop that bullshit in future years.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Most drivers don't keep their foot in and gain a second when cutting a chicane. They need to put some foam or bumps there to stop that bullshit in future years.

They only need to lengthen that nasty high orange kerb to the grassy area :D

Nico for Autosport:

"When you lose ERS it doesn't harvest anymore, then any braking is done by rear braking, so that is why the rear brakes overheated," said Rosberg.

"That made it massively difficult: I needed to cool the brakes and lost speed on the straights.

Yes this years rear brakediscs are alot smaller because of the increased harvesting with the new powerunits.

olore

Any comments from Lewis yet?

Interesting, didn´t know that about the rear discs being smaller. Engineering wise it does make sense, but wonder what safety margin they are being built to. Say, if the MGU-K fails..

BBC F1 forum are pretty unanimous that it was Massa's fault.

No they weren't. DC said he moved across (he did) and EJ said it was Massa's fault.

The crash was 100% Perez's fault.

https://vine.co/v/MD0BgJYVeam

How many accidents has he caused in his F1 career? It's about time some action was taken. He's lucky his stupid actions didn't do some serious damage to the other two drivers near him, if Massa had ploughed into the cockpit area of the Red Bull it would have been horrific.

Staab

Interesting, didn´t know that about the rear discs being smaller. Engineering wise it does make sense, but wonder what safety margin they are being built to. Say, if the MGU-K fails..

He was in "neutral media mode" : "bad luck, will come back stronger; Nico 0 DNF, Lewis 2... eh"

ok. give me an example and i might agree

Spa 2008. Hamilton actually gave the place back to Kimi after cutting the bus stop chicane, then overtook him again before Eau Rouge. But he was still handed down a 25 second penalty and stripped of his victory with the logic that he never would have been in a position to overtake had he not cut the chicane.

cmr-94

Spa 2008. Hamilton actually gave the place back to Kimi after cutting the bus stop chicane, then overtook him again before Eau Rouge. But he was still handed down a 25 second penalty and stripped of his victory with the logic that he never would have been in a position to overtake had he not cut the chicane.

Hamilton gave the place back, but still gained an advantage as he had the slipstream. therefore he retook the position before the first corner. if he had not cut the chicane, he wouldnt have overtaken kimi in that position.

Anyway, its not a comparable example. Kimi had won the final corner. lewis had not won the corner. if lewis wasnt behind nico, there is no way nico would have got a penalty. its only because lewis was behind him that we are even talking about this. the decision was the correct one

Hamilton gave the place back, but still gained an advantage as he had the slipstream. therefore he retook the position before the first corner. if he had not cut the chicane, he wouldnt have overtaken kimi in that position.

Anyway, its not a comparable example. Kimi had won the final corner. lewis had not won the corner. if lewis wasnt behind nico, there is no way nico would have got a penalty. its only because lewis was behind him that we are even talking about this. the decision was the correct one

youre splitting hairs and talking rubbish and you know it. In both instances a driver gained an advantage and a chunk of time cutting a chicane, with one driver defending a position by doing it and the other gaining one. Thats the only difference here, both cases involve a driver veering off track and gaining an advantage.
Though at least in Lewis' case, you could argue Raikkonen closed the door on him and forced him off the track, Nico simply buckled under pressure from a pursuing car.

paskowitz

No they weren't. DC said he moved across (he did) and EJ said it was Massa's fault.

The crash was 100% Perez's fault.

https://vine.co/v/MD0BgJYVeam

How many accidents has he caused in his F1 career? It's about time some action was taken. He's lucky his stupid actions didn't do some serious damage to the other two drivers near him, if Massa had ploughed into the cockpit area of the Red Bull it would have been horrific.

Since it is hard to focus on both cars at once, watch one car at a time. If you focus on Massa it looks like he turns into Perez. If you focus on Perez, it looks like he turns into Massa. It is possible they both turned into each other.

David Croft @CroftyF1

Five place grid penalty for Sergio Perez in Austria for causing the accident at the end of today's race with Felipe Massa, just announced.

youre splitting hairs and talking rubbish and you know it. In both instances a driver gained an advantage and a chunk of time cutting a chicane, with one driver defending a position by doing it and the other gaining one. Thats the only difference here, both cases involve a driver veering off track and gaining an advantage.
Though at least in Lewis' case, you could argue Raikkonen closed the door on him and forced him off the track, Nico simply buckled under pressure from a pursuing car.

Hamilton didn't accelerate off track either. But tbh it's hard to compare the incidents with respect to the rules when one involves an overtake and the other doesn't.

cmr-94

Your also missing the significant difference. unlike the 2008 incident, they werent side by side. nico did not defend the position by going off track. if he stayed on track, he would have maintained his position.

And why would I be wasting my life talking to you if i thought i was talking rubbish lol

DBT85

As soon as it happened I thought it was caused by the ERS failing and them having to lean on the brakes more and I remembered hearing that the rears were much smaller than they used to be because of the ERS doing so much of the leg work this season.

They save some weight being that much smaller and obviously less rotating mass is also important for the engine, but if they'd had normal disks on the rear Hamilton would likely have finished the race, instead it's another DNF :(

Your also missing the significant difference. unlike the 2008 incident, they werent side by side. nico did not defend the position by going off track. if he stayed on track, he would have maintained his position.

And why would I be wasting my life talking to you if i thought i was talking rubbish lol

he took himself out of the second DRS zone by cutting that chicane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom