• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

Having the Parc Ferme rules begin at the start of FP3 seems like an odd and potentially very significant change. Is it meant to help mechanics get a rest?

Because if you can't change your setup into FP3, Friday starts to look all the more important - yet Friday is when the track is at its' greenest and least indicative.

That rule is gonna cause some headaches.

itsgreen

Caterham leaving F1 for real now? Tony Fernandes tweeted F1 isn't working out just before closing down his account.

Well a buyer will have to start from scratch basically, or at least sponsor wise...

Nearly all sponsors are affiliated with other Fernandes businesses. GE for instance is a big one. I will bet 1000$ they only sponsor because that was part of the engine deal for his airline...

Mastah

And will only increase the amount of safety cars needed, increase accidents & increase costs for teams.

Perfect.

I almost want to see someone stalling on these stupid restarts and another driver plowing into him, sufferring minor injury. Maybe that's the only way to stop this ridiculous madness of chasing show and killing sport in the process.

Few interesting stats posted by Nando:

Fernando Alonso ‏@alo_oficial 8m

GP Austria;
G Force max; 3.4
Heart rate: 140 average, 167
max Temp: 39.3
Gear shift request: 3124
Braking: 426
Braking force: 115kg average

This sport is turning into a sham. A desperate need for a shakeup in the FIA is a must.

All the changes and suggestions are overwhelming and they're really killing the sport.

Cost cutting, environment, safety, road cars transferable technologies, entertaining races, push to pass buttons, standing starts, artificial sparks, blow horns.. Etc... What the crap is happening? I for one gave up on keeping up with everything after nearly 20 years of following this sport and it's the only one I follow passionately.

I'm not debating that the initiatives are not good each separately viewed, but this is a racing sport, and it seems that they forgot about that

I've heard once that the omission from a single jumbo flight from jfk to Heathrow is more than the omission of F1 cars throughout the season. Could be an exaggeration, but it makes you think. Especially that f1 has 8 jumbo Jets flying they're stuff around for races..

DBT85

The thing is that the emissions of an F1 car aren't even the biggest polluter during a weekend. Imagine the stuff the paddock trucks put out every time. Not to mention the planes that gets the teams to other continents.

The new engine formula isn't specifically about making F1 green, it's about pushing the tech on consumer cars which IS going to be greener. Which is what the sponsors want.

Regardless, F1 is supposed to be a technical sport, and the calls to use outdated engines baffles me.

Dilly

Banned
The new engine formula isn't specifically about making F1 green, it's about pushing the tech on consumer cars which IS going to be greener. Which is what the sponsors want.

Regardless, F1 is supposed to be a technical sport, and the calls to use outdated engines baffles me.

This, I don't understand why especially the F1 crowd keeps whining about this.

It's not about making F1 greener, it's about building a relevant platform for manufacturers to invest their money in technology that will benefit their road cars in the end.

Without the new engine formula, Honda wouldn't have come back, Renault and Mercedes would have left and you'd be stuck with Cosworth and Ferrari engines for the whole grid, very healthy for the sport.

Gruso

Yep, it's not about reducing emissions at the track. It's about a much bigger picture. Eventually all cars will be electric (or otherwise not running internal combustion engines) and so will F1. These are the first steps in that long journey. It might be decades away, but people calling for the return of old engines (as much as all of us would love it) should start accepting that.

On the point of air transport emissions, a mildly interesting fact: McLaren has been claiming carbon neutral status for a few years now. That means they invest in other areas that offset their carbon output (which I understand includes their air travel).

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/12/12869.html

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/198400/1/mclaren-reconfirms-carbon-neutral-status.html

Guys some great news in 2015 we are going to have standing restarts. lol
https://twitter.com/autosport/status/482201560618106880

Also
-reduced wind tunnel time
-less in season testing
-part ferme rules imposed from the start of FP3 rather than the start of qualifying
-Friday night curfew has been increased from six to seven hours
-ban on tyre blankets has also been dropped for 2015
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/206026/1/standing-start-restarts-confirmed-for-2015.html

Also 4 engines unless we have 20+ races.

there's nothing wrong with reducing aero, but the reduction in testing just ensures backmarkers and middle of the pack teams stay that way. Standing starts after a safety car is fucking ludicrous though, this sport is being turned into a laughing stock.
Just totally artificial gimmicks that make F1 less about the prestige and more about fucking buffoonery and shameless pandering to the lowest common denominator.
Maybe F1 having a massive reduction in tv viewers and a drop in trackside attendance (due to the lack of satisfactory noise levels) will make FIA (and any teams that sign off on their BS) have a rethink about what it is that theyre doing.

Gruso

there's nothing wrong with reducing aero, but the reduction in testing just ensures backmarkers and middle of the pack teams stay that way. Standing starts after a safety car is fucking ludicrous though, this sport is being turned into a laughing stock.
Just totally artificial gimmicks that make F1 less about the prestige and more about fucking buffoonery and shameless pandering to the lowest common denominator.
Maybe F1 having a massive reduction in tv viewers and a drop in trackside attendance (due to the lack of satisfactory noise levels) will make FIA (and any teams that sign off on their BS) have a rethink about what it is that theyre doing.
I don't think you can complain about gimmicks AND complain about the lack of noise. Aren't you just wishing for the return of something that is ultimately superficial?

DBT85

On a similar subject, why aren't we running 18" rims yet?

The teams are arguing that it will be an unknown for them and costly to develop for. I suppose in part because a current F1 tyre is like half of the suspension travel of the whole car, and they won;t get that on 18"s. Though I expected them to have made the switch by now.

Dilly

Banned

Yeah, it is definitely the noise and not the TV coverage being behind a paywall, still not actively using social media, ridiculous ticket prices and years of dominance by one team that's causing a drop in viewers.

Come the fuck on.

Lotus whipped out an E20 and had it fly around London in celebration of the Silverstone Grand Prix.
Listen to the sounds of that sweet V8 engine reverberating around the stone and concrete. I dont care what anyone says the the sound of high revving, thirsty engines will be forever missed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JxxUcCsNBE

Urgh, I was cringing like a motherfucker at the sight of all those bollards and concrete walls.

Dead Man

The problem is nothing is even close when you drop down a tier. Maybe Japanese SUPER formula but yeah, the barrier to entry is too high.

Open wheel racing never really interested me other than F1, but F1 is the motorsport that always had the most interest for me. Between all the crap changes over the last 5 or 6 years, and my other favoured series going to pay tv I am pretty close to just not following any motorsport for the first time in 30 odd years of being interested in cars and motorsport.

Hasney

The problem is nothing is even close when you drop down a tier. Maybe Japanese SUPER formula but yeah, the barrier to entry is too high.

It's alright, we've got Formula E! That should be gr-

In Formula E they are going to use the medium of social media to get the fans engaged, and determine whether or not a driver gets to use the extra boost. Such a system could possibly work via hashtags – something likely along the lines of ‘#FEAndretti’ – and will be determined on whether or not its trending. Alternatively the official Formula E Twitter account could measure the popularity of a driver through retweets or favourites.

Balls.

Jesus fuck the FIA are idiotic. If you want some decent competition, stabilize the rules for a few seasons. These massive changes every god damn season just assure one team is going to dominate. By the time other teams have the chance to develop a competitive car, the rules have moved on in some other ridiculous direction.

FIA keeps wanting to have their cake and eat it too. They want F1 to continue to develop as the pinnacle of automotive technology, but they want to impose a tremendous amount of rules that attempt to reduce the costs to extent that would be much more logically achievable with standardized parts/chassis and other "parity" racing series practices.

It's alright, we've got Formula E! That should be gr-

Balls.

Might as well broadcast an PS4 online F1 tournament. can't get greener than that.

and re the argument about getting the manufacturers interested in the sport, it's not that important in my opinion.

whomever is willing to invest will invest regardless. if we have a full grid supplied by Ferrari, so be it, that might take the costs down. Let the invisible hand does it work and don't try to enforce in every single step the direction of the sport.

F1 will not collapse if manufacturers choose to leave. It will collapse however if fans lose interest. I barely know any fans in their early-20s now. Can't blame that on the current new set of rules, but the constant shake ups in the rules leave people confused and less interested. The new shakeup is not only reducing interest from new fans, but making old fans lose interest in the sport altogether.

That's what the governing body needs to focus on. While they claim they do, they're definitely using a wrong approach

amar212

Might as well broadcast an PS4 online F1 tournament. can't get greener than that.

It is closer than you may think.

14319905487_93fcccd58f_h.jpg

Zeknurn

A Swiss-Middle Eastern consortium is understood to be behind the takeover of Caterham F1, in a deal that will be confirmed in the coming days.

It’s believed that the consortium members, including interests from Dubai, intend to keep a low profile. The deal was brokered by a former F1 insider who will retain a role as an advisor.

The Caterham name will be retained, as there are no plans to request a change for 2015 and beyond. The team will also continue to use Renault engines.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/06/30/consortium-behind-purchase-of-caterham-f1/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom