• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Speaking of the pre-podium room, Rosberg should have used the old Scrubs joke.

Rosberg in Italian: Say something in Spanish to me and I'll laugh so it looks you're talking

Massa in Italian: I'm not going to do that

Rosberg points and laughs incredibly hard at Hamilton.

What happened to Hulkenberg? That's not the type of races he needs to get a seat at a top team.

Shit strategy. Started on the hard and still came in around the same time as everyone else, but to go on the softer tyres.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Nico goes into last 6 races with 22 point advantage over Lewis. IF they continue with today's trend, they will on one point difference after Putin GP. Nothing is lost for Lewis and I think he knows that well. Five races with normal and one with double points.

Force India is only one point behind Mclaren and today they equalized their best all time season score with 109 points (they collected as much in season 2012-2013). Too bad that Nico H. is struggling after summer break.

Looking at results table, without Felipe numerous DNFs and finishes out of the points, WIL could have 20 points more at minimum in WCC - around 200. They have 177, which is more than in last four seasons (10/11,11/12,12/13,13/14) when they collected total of 155 points.

It's going to come down to who wins the last race. Simple as that really. If I was Nico I'd be spending all my time in the simulator on that one. I wouldn't even bother with the others as he can finish second in all of those and still win using the last race.

...just imagine how unpopular he'll be if he wins the championship that way.

Hasney

It's going to come down to who wins the last race. Simple as that really. If I was Nico I'd be spending all my time in the simulator on that one. I wouldn't even bother with the others as he can finish second in all of those and still win using the last race.

...just imagine how unpopular he'll be if he wins the championship that way.

I've said it all along, even I'd hate it if the championship was won that way. If Hamilton somehow gets a 25 point lead, I'll be pulling for him at Abu Dhabi. If Rosberg can still mathematically win without double points, I'll be pulling for that outcome.

Hamilton: Great recovery from a poor start. "Let's leave a 2s gap"
Rosberg: Very rare see him buckle under pressure. Lol @ crowd
Massa: Happy to see him back on the podium
Bottas: Great recovery, exciting drive. Star of the future.
Ricciardo Ricciardo Ricciardo: I've always liked the guy, but now I can call myself a fully fledged fan. Wonderful driving, future world champion indeed.

Hasney

Lewis just said on the forum that the call to wait until the end was an advisory based on the first stint where he couldn't punch through the dirty air. He thought he would give it a shot and when he got within the 2 second barrier he couldn't fully break in the first sting, he may as well make an effort.

Don't forget the call was delayed, so he would have gotten it just coming out of the pit, so it made sense.

Hasney

This is the most humble and personable interview Rosberg has given all year (BBC).

It sounded a lot like the Hamilton interview at the last race. I think they're getting back onto goodish terms again now.

Either that, or they're getting much better PR training.

justjohn

Lewis Hamilton can't seem to go through a race these days without something going wrong. The idea that he will race trouble free in the remaining races is optimistic at best. I don't know why it keeps happening to him but I doubt we've seen the last of his problems.

Hasney

They haven't even congratulated each other, much less glanced at the other.

Think DC just summed it up best. Neither of them want to give the other a glimpse into their psyche, so even if they are back to being cordial, they'll probably not be talking openly a lot.

Ark

And even then it looked terribly forced.

Eh I wasn't seeing that, but I guess it could be. He's still got a 22-point gap and he only lost the lead because of a mistake.

Lewis Hamilton can't seem to go through a race these days without something going wrong. The idea that he will race trouble free in the remaining races is optimistic at best. I don't know why it keeps happening to him but I doubt we've seen the last of his problems.

Welcome to Lewis Hamilton's Formula 1 career :p

dakun

Sky talking about 2015 having only 8 teams driving with 3 cars?? didn't get all of it but apparently someone "important" tweeted that?

Think DC just summed it up best. Neither of them want to give the other a glimpse into their psyche, so even if they are back to being cordial, they'll probably not be talking openly a lot.

Maybe - but I wouldn't even call this cordial at this point. It's just nonexistant.

Eh I wasn't seeing that, but I guess it could be. He's still got a 22-point gap and he only lost the lead because of a mistake.

He's just trying hard. Maybe it's genuine, maybe it's because English is not his mother tongue and he doesn't feed comfortable, but it always looks as if he is trying too hard.

Hasney

Sky talking about 2015 having only 8 teams driving with 3 cars?? didn't get all of it but apparently someone "important" tweeted that?

I can't tell if that would be shit or great. Seems odd though, assume Lotus would be one of the teams to leave.

He's just trying hard. Maybe it's genuine, maybe it's because English is not his mother tongue and he doesn't feed comfortable, but it always looks as if he is trying too hard.

Could be either, the German accent can make somethings sound a lot like that. Vettel seems to be the only German that's full grasped the inflection of the English language, but I guess growing up with Monty Python probably helps that in his case.

Tweeted by Adam Parr, ex-Williams CEO.

Adam Parr
‏@adam_s_parr
This is the last year of F1 as we know it. In 2015 eight teams will contest the championship, with several teams entering three cars.

Hasney

Assume the 3 car teams would be Merc, Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and maybe Williams. If only some teams have 3 cars, I think only the top 2 should score constructors points though.

EDIT: No more development for Lotus this year, apparently already working on next years. Hope they are still there... Even with Pastor.

Ark

Assume the 3 car teams would be Merc, Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren and maybe Williams. If only some teams have 3 cars, I think only the top 2 should score constructors points though.

I imagine that's how that'll work, but it seems ridiculous.

Fox Mulder

I'd rather see a third williams or redbull than shit teams like marussia and caterham doing nothing at all.

Juicy Bob

There's no way that will happen with Haas arriving in 2016 because you can almost guarantee Haas will not have planned to run three cars.

Hamilton: Great recovery from a poor start. "Let's leave a 2s gap"
Rosberg: Very rare see him buckle under pressure. Lol @ crowd
Massa: Happy to see him back on the podium
Bottas: Great recovery, exciting drive. Star of the future.
Ricciardo Ricciardo Ricciardo: I've always liked the guy, but now I can call myself a fully fledged fan. Wonderful driving, future world champion indeed.

Have you not been watching this season until now?

dalin80

Banned
Latest from the Autosport morons: Rosberg went off deliberately as part of his punishment as he had to make sure that Hamilton won this race...

Too think that that used to be the best racing forum. :(

stryke

Latest from the Autosport morons: Rosberg went off deliberately as part of his punishment as he had to make sure that Hamilton won this race...

Too think that that used to be the best racing forum. :(

You have to be a special class of idiot to believe that kind of nonsense. Even if the guys on Sky shoot it down, Crofty should just be ignoring them in them in the first place instead of giving it attention.

Ark

Nah, the Autosport forums have always been tripe. I used to read them occasionally back in 2010 and I stopped once my GAF account was validated.

NHale

I hope with maximum of 3 cars per team and minimum of 1 car (like in the 90s) that can be customer cars, F1 introduces some rules that prevent a top team of hiring 3 of the best drivers.

Something like 1 of those 3 drivers can't have more than 30 GPs before the start of the year or something. Maybe that could give some young talent without money an opportunity in the sport.

I hope with maximum of 3 cars per team and minimum of 1 car (like in the 90s) that can be customer cars, F1 introduces some rules that prevent a top team of hiring 3 of the best drivers.

Something like 1 of those 3 drivers can't have more than 30 GPs before the start of the year or something. Maybe that could give some young talent without money an opportunity in the sport.

Agreed. I'd actually go lower on the GP count too.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
You can be certain that we will see one Mexican driver next season, with Mexican GP coming next autumn.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It will be fun evening at Wolffs

Bw8gNkZCYAEFpoB.jpg

Toto is ready to wreck some havoc :p :D

Took 5 seconds off at the end.

Ridiculous! wasn't it a stop and go? I know teams would use their scheduled pitstops to do the penalty but if he doesn't serve it in the race then he should get a harsher penalty.

Which raises the question. What if a teams chooses to ignore the penlty even if they do a pitstop? They would get an added 5 secs to their time?

Hasney

Ridiculous! wasn't it a stop and go? I know teams would use their scheduled pitstops to do the penalty but if he doesn't serve it in the race then he should get a harsher penalty.

Which raises the question. What if a teams chooses to ignore the penlty even if they do a pitstop? They would get an added 5 secs to their time?

It's just an option they have. If you have to take a pit stop anyway, it'll be a lot better to sit there for 5 seconds so it's in your hands for the rest of the race.

You can be certain that we will see one Mexican driver next season, with Mexican GP coming next autumn.

Perez back to Sauber then with Astana ponying up millions to get their man Juncadella a Force India race seat next season, or is The Hulk moving to one of these three car teams?

John_B

I hope we can get some more clean fights between Hamilton and Rosberg. The wheel-to-wheel action between them was limited today, but for many races it seemed the championship was not being earned by one driver beating the other.

Hamilton is at 28 career wins now. He should tie Alonso (32 wins) by next year. He might reach Senna (41 wins) before his career is over. Pretty impressive. Rosberg is currently tied with Juan Pablo Montoya at 7 career wins.

I almost feel bad for how brutally Vettel is getting handled by Ricciardo. If this continues next season I think many will reconsider what tier he belongs in. Then again he has many seasons ahead of him, and it will be interesting to see what he can do in another team (that does not also employ Ricciardo).

I hope we can get some more clean fights between Hamilton and Rosberg. The wheel-to-wheel action between them was limited today, but for many races it seemed the championship was not being earned by one driver beating the other.

Hamilton is at 28 career wins now. He should tie Alonso (32 wins) by next year. He might reach Senna (41 wins) before his career is over. Pretty impressive. Rosberg is currently tied with Juan Pablo Montoya at 7 career wins.

If all goes well, no reason why Lewis can't reach 40 poles (optimistic, but milestone is definitely in the realm of what's possible.

As for race wins, he could tie Alonso by year end, and in the process become the most successful British driver ever (Mansell has 31 wins). 6 races left and Mercedes should be in contention in all of them and he will need to win a few in order to stay in contention for the WDC... so could be possible to see Lewis reach the 30-win/40-pole milestone by Abu Dhabi.

kiyomi

I almost feel bad for how brutally Vettel is getting handled by Ricciardo. If this continues next season I think many will reconsider what tier he belongs in. Then again he has many seasons ahead of him, and it will be interesting to see what he can do in another team (that does not also employ Ricciardo).

I think track record, for me, proves that Alonso and Hamilton are in a class of their own when it comes to being a complete Formula 1 driver. They both have all the attributes you'd want from a top-line driver, fast, completely committed, adaptable, etc. While Vettel has the majority of that, this year has shown us that he's not the invincible and dominating character that he was in his championship years and the way he's being beaten has to be troubling. It also shows though that Ricciardo is doing a job beyond what I think any realistic F1 fan would've expected.

Championships are still championships and Vettel will always garner respect for that, but look at Schumacher. Statistically the most successful driver ever, but does anyone truly believe he's the best that's ever lived?

Ark

Championships are still championships and Vettel will always garner respect for that, but look at Schumacher. Statistically the most successful driver ever, but does anyone truly believe he's the best that's ever lived?

There is no 'best F1 driver to ever live'. Even Senna was not the best F1 driver to ever live. There's a group of 'best F1 drivers to ever live' and you can pick and choose from that group depending on era, etc imo

Schumacher was definitely one of the best though, regardless of anyone's own biases, he was incredible.

I'm not going to delve into a defensive argument on Vettel again, but the people writing him off this season are very silly. This is his first poor season at the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom