• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
Schumacher leaves hospital.

I thought he went home a couple months ago?

he got out of the intensive care unit a couple of months ago and was transferred to a hospital near his house. and now he is home.

yeah I figured these rumours have little to do with the F1 team but more with the whole Ferrari brand and that Chrysler thing. what a shame, they need to give the F1 team more attention. they need that ruthless german efficiency machine that Schumacher built.

Hasney

Really? Why should the team radio be banned completely? F1 is not purely a driver's sport, it's a team sport. What you're suggesting is ridiculous.

Exactly. The radio should remain open for entertainment as well, I enjoy the radio calls they play.

how is it ridiculous? these drivers are supposed to be the best in the world - so let them prove it. motorcycle racing is a team sport but that's man and machine going at it alone as it should be. the radio isn't entertainment, it needs banning as do all the knobs and switches on the steering wheels.

this micromanagement by people sat at rows of computer screens and in race car adjustments by the driver is just total shit. the drivers have ample time during practice sessions to fine tune their machines with their engineers, if it's not to their liking in the race then tough, it's their own fault and they should have to live with the consequences and manage as best as they can.

Another half arsed measure, the team radio needs to be banned completely. Only the stewards should have the ability to relay messages to drivers for safety reasons; warning of on track incidents, etc.

F1 is a joke.

If the McLaren is shit next season I'm out.

I would say it's another half arsed messure to make the sport more entertaining. It's all artificial

We used to have teams controlling the car's setup remotely but that has been banned.. Talking to drivers? Should be okay imo

And McLaren? Lol.. I think they'll bounce back. Usually they're always better than Ferrari in doing that over a season, but I can understand why they're not putting all their weight on this year's car.. Give them till the end of next year, if Hondas engine is at oar woth Ferrari's they'll fair well I have no doubt

kiyomi

how is it ridiculous? these drivers are supposed to be the best in the world - so let them prove it. motorcycle racing is a team sport but that's man and machine going at it alone as it should be. the radio isn't entertainment, it needs banning as do all the knobs and switches on the steering wheels.

this micromanagement by people sat at rows of computer screens and in race car adjustments by the driver is just total shit.

F1 has been micromanaged from within the pits and within the cockpit for decades, there's nothing new about it.

I don't know about you but when I see stuff like Hamilton and Rosberg in Bahrain, that more than proves to me how these guys are the best at what they do.

the drivers have ample time during practice sessions to fine tune their machines with their engineers, if it's not to their liking in the race then tough, it's their own fault and they should have to live with the consequences and manage as best as they can

But.. that's exactly what they do. It's partly why Parc Ferme exists. They do manage as best they can, but within the rules of being permitted to have advice from the pit wall. I don't get the anger.

Ark

Another half arsed measure, the team radio needs to be banned completely. Only the stewards should have the ability to relay messages to drivers for safety reasons; warning of on track incidents, etc.

F1 is a joke.

If the McLaren is shit next season I'm out.

And nothing of value would be lost.

You guys are forgetting that F1 is a team game now, not a driver's game. I'm all for less pitwall baby-sitting, but severely limiting the radio would be silly, especially in the early era of these intricate power units.

Id rather see DRS banned first. Miserable as it was seeing a title slip through Alonso's hands because he couldnt pass Vitaly Petrov on the straights, DRS isnt the solution.

So do people really support things like "driving to the beeps"? Frankly, I'm astonished if that's the case. It's totally taking away from the skill of the driver and having them just react automatically to a computer prepared set of points where they can save fuel.

I think I must be getting old, but when I think of the old legends squeaking over the line on vapour I can't help but feel that the current methods are a bit robotic.

Hasney

So do people really support things like "driving to the beeps"? Frankly, I'm astonished if that's the case. It's totally taking away from the skill of the driver and having them just react automatically to a computer prepared set of points where they can save fuel.

I think I must be getting old, but when I think of the old legends squeaking over the line on vapour I can't help but feel that the current methods are a bit robotic.

Maybe not the beeps, but team radio for sure needs to stay. With the comparison to motorbikes, I love F1 for the technology and clever rule bending probably more than the drivers themselves. Hell, sometimes I wish there were no technical restrictions and just say the fastest car wins. See what crazy single seaters some of these crazies can come up with.

Ark

Id rather see DRS banned first. Miserable as it was seeing a title slip through Alonso's hands because he couldnt pass Vitaly Petrov on the straights, DRS isnt the solution.

Then find a way to reduce aerodynamic grip and increase mechanical grip because otherwise we'll be stuck with 2010 all over again. DRS implementation is perfect right now, it does exactly what it needs to. It is by no means a 'free pass' or 'artificial'.

Dead Man

Then find a way to reduce aerodynamic grip and increase mechanical grip because otherwise we'll be stuck with 2010 all over again. DRS implementation is perfect right now, it does exactly what it needs to. It is by no means a 'free pass' or 'artificial'.

It sounds a bit silly, but could they not specify a maximum amount of downforce as measured in a wind tunnel at a fixed speed? It would encourage reduced drag and therefore less turbulence, and could be adju8sted as needed to reduce speed while retaining design freedom.

duckroll

I'm all for less automated systems and driver assistance. At the same time I'm also all for technological aid which actually makes the cars go faster in a non-artificial way. All that crap about diffuser regulations and stuff was crap imo. If you a car has better aerodynamics because it was designed better, that should be allowed. I prefer that over artificial stuff like DRS. KERS is kinda borderline, because I can see it as a strategy element since you have to charge it first.

Team radio though? It's part and parcel of communication. The drivers don't have to listen to the specific advice given by the engineers, but I don't see how them having more information is a bad thing. It informs the driver to make better decisions. The actual decisions are still made by the drivers themselves, and the engineers don't always know best because they lack the actual driving experience.

I think it's possible to look at F1 as a sport the unifies both driving talent and team technology. That's what makes it appealing to me. It doesn't have to be purely one or the other.

Chris R

Could the race really work with zero radio contact from teams?

And I'd love to see a reduction in aero grip and refueling to return :(

FuturusX

this micromanagement by people sat at rows of computer screens and in race car adjustments by the driver is just total shit. the drivers have ample time during practice sessions to fine tune their machines with their engineers, if it's not to their liking in the race then tough, it's their own fault and they should have to live with the consequences and manage as best as they can.

Dat bias...man. We know the real reason why you want to ban the radio.

Juicy Bob

Banning team radio would deny us of one of the most human elements of a race broadcast. We'd lose the celebrations, the anger, the confusion and the other emotional outbursts during a race.

The other thing is safety. Drivers are entitled to be told about debris or oil or other factors on the circuit. Also, these modern cars are so complicated that drivers need constant instruction to change settings to avoid the cars breaking down, so how are they going to be able to manage that without clear instructions?

It's also difficult to just have the FIA give out warnings over team radio, because a lot of drivers (Raikkonen comes to mind with this) are very particular about not getting radio messages at certain parts of the circuit such as in the middle of a corner or just before a high-speed section. At least with team radio, the engineers have discretion about when they can give orders and info.

The thing that gets me about team radio is that I don't see how banning it would make F1 any better. The racing this season has already been fantastic and the drivers still can make a massive difference on their own - look at Ricciardo, Bottas and Alonso.

Considering we aren't in the Schumacher era of traction control, launch control and unlimited car parts any more, I'd say F1 is pretty damn challenging for drivers.

Mastah

Hahaha, so much for "rumors" according to di Montezemolo, he is out:

Boss™AntonioBoselli ‏@antonioboselli 1m

ULTIM'ORA MONTEZEMOLO LASCIA, MARCHIONNE NUOVO PRESIDENTE FERRARI - BREAKING NEWS MONTEZEMOLO STEPS DOWN, MARCHIONNE NEW FERRARI PRESIDENT

DBT85

It sounds a bit silly, but could they not specify a maximum amount of downforce as measured in a wind tunnel at a fixed speed? It would encourage reduced drag and therefore less turbulence, and could be adju8sted as needed to reduce speed while retaining design freedom.

Just not a feasible restriction, and would pretty much kill any aero development throughout the season. If you're going to do that you're getting even close to spec racing.

Doesn't Andrex's 'Super Ignore' extension have that functionality?

Not on the chrome store.

Hahaha, so much for "rumors", Montezemolo is out:

lol. 3 days after saying he's not going anywhere.

TCRS

Banned
untitled-89vun1x0shw.gif

holy shit it has happened. not sure how to take this news. as that one report said it has more to do with the car division but it will have an effect on the F1 team. someone create a thread, that guy was a legend. ferrari boss for 23 years.

Mastah

What a day for Ferrari :O

Pablo Elizalde ‏@EliGP 1m

Ferrari president di Montezemolo has quit. Santander chairman Emilio Botin has died. Intense start to the day.

Not only di Montezemolo is out, but also Botin, who was seen at almost every race, died.

Wow. I can't say I'm totally surprised by this, but this is still ... wow. I really don't know what to think about it. He was there when Ferrari dominated the sport and when it became a midfield team.

Business

I'm all for less automated systems and driver assistance. At the same time I'm also all for technological aid which actually makes the cars go faster in a non-artificial way. All that crap about diffuser regulations and stuff was crap imo. If you a car has better aerodynamics because it was designed better, that should be allowed. I prefer that over artificial stuff like DRS. KERS is kinda borderline, because I can see it as a strategy element since you have to charge it first..

I wouldn't call it crap. The problem was teams interpreting the rules differently which led to double decker diffusers. The debate was if these interpretations were within the spirit of the rules or not.

I wonder what will Santander do, Botin was the main man behind their sponsoring Ferrari and Alonso.

This and Montezemolo leaving may be Alonso's chance to bail out clean from Ferrari.

Juicy Bob

Regardless of Ferrari's recent fortunes, you can't ignore the fact that he was at the helm during their brightest ever days as a racing team.

NHale

LdM (and Marmorini) is the "Ferrari Scapegoat" for 2014. Who is going to be next year? My bet is Pat Fry (he got lucky this year).

I wonder what will Santander do, Botin was the main man behind their sponsoring Ferrari and Alonso.

I do too. Santander is basically the biggest sponsor of F1 (Ferrari and 40% of the races in the calendar).

Botin always liked F1 and developed a very strong relationship with Alonso (it was rumored that Santander would go with him if he decided to accept the Honda offer). With someone new at the helm maybe his hobbies are completely different and they disconnect from F1.

Get ready for tobacco branding to return guys. Everyone knows it's coming...

DBT85

Full statement

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12474/9463161/di-montezemolo-steps-down

"Ferrari will have an important role to play within the FCA Group in the upcoming flotation on Wall Street. This will open up a new and different phase which I feel should be spearheaded by the CEO of the Group.

"This is the end of an era and so I have decided to leave my position as Chairman after almost 23 marvellous and unforgettable years in addition to those spent at Enzo Ferrari’s side in the 1970s.

"My thanks, first and foremost, to the exceptional Ferrari women and men from the factory, the offices, the race tracks and the markets across the world. They were the real architects of the company’s spectacular growth, its many unforgettable victories and its transformation into one of the world’s strongest brands.

"A warm farewell and my thanks also to all of our technical and commercial partners, our dealers across the globe and, most particularly, the clients and collectors whose passion I so wholeheartedly share.

"But my thoughts go also to our fans who have always supported us with great enthusiasm especially through the Scuderia’s most difficult moments.

"Ferrari is the most wonderful company in the world. It has been a great privilege and honour to have been its leader. I devoted all of my enthusiasm and commitment to it over the years. Together with my family, it was, and continues to be, the most important thing in my life.

"I wish the shareholders, particularly Piero Ferrari who has always been by my side, and everyone in the Company the many more years of success that Ferrari deserves.”

Dead Man

Just not a feasible restriction, and would pretty much kill any aero development throughout the season. If you're going to do that you're getting even close to spec racing.
I don't think it would be anything like a spec series. Maximising downforce while minimizing drag has always led to interesting solutions from designers.

Shaneus

Our society is in a sad state, when its come down that tinfoilhat conspiracy bullshit needs to be addressed in an editorial.
Yet: when you do so, put everything on the table, otherwise its useless.
About the only thing that's a lie in that article is where Rosberg said everything was forgotten. It's about as forgotten as Multi-21 was a week after it happened.

Hammer24

Banned
About the only thing that's a lie in that article is where Rosberg said everything was forgotten. It's about as forgotten as Multi-21 was a week after it happened.

I did not imply he was lying, but he was leaving some things out. Like f.i. the very interesting Lauda interview from Saturday, which in fact started the conspiracy stuff.

Banning team radio would deny us of one of the most human elements of a race broadcast. We'd lose the celebrations, the anger, the confusion and the other emotional outbursts during a race.
They're not talking about banning team radio, only the performance related aspects.

"Brake bias two clicks forward"
"Use mode three on the third straight"
"Tyre temperature 6 front, 8 rear"
"Lift and coast into turns 3 and 4 to save fuel"

etc

DBT85

Scarbs has confirmed for me what I expected, that Merc have to supply identical hardware to all customer teams, so they can;t get a new part unless everyone gets it. Software is written with the teams for their needs.

I don't think it would be anything like a spec series. Maximising downforce while minimizing drag has always led to interesting solutions from designers.

But they wouldn't be maximising downforce, they'd have a limit that they can hit and it would just be a race to efficiency with no other gains. The higher the efficiency, the more it costs to get another 1%. At least at the moment the teams are spending that money to try and get more downforce too.

If they want to limit some of the DF they could further reduce the size of the wings or maybe the amount of elements on the wings etc.

Dead Man

Scarbs has confirmed for me what I expected, that Merc have to supply identical hardware to all customer teams, so they can;t get a new part unless everyone gets it. Software is written with the teams for their needs.

But they wouldn't be maximising downforce, they'd have a limit that they can hit and it would just be a race to efficiency with no other gains. The higher the efficiency, the more it costs to get another 1%. At least at the moment the teams are spending that money to try and get more downforce too.

If they want to limit some of the DF they could further reduce the size of the wings or maybe the amount of elements on the wings etc.
That leads to exactly the same thing. We almost have spec aero at the moment, finding more speed costs an absolute fortune.

Juicy Bob

They're not talking about banning team radio, only the performance related aspects.

"Brake bias two clicks forward"
"Use mode three on the third straight"
"Tyre temperature 6 front, 8 rear"
"Lift and coast into turns 3 and 4 to save fuel"

etc
I'm not really sure what difference that is going to make.

Sure, it's going to make life a little bit tougher for the drivers, but are we really going to be that much more in awe of them for it?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
They should enable open coms between drivers in teams. So Lewis and Nico could use verbal warfare and force each other into mistakes :D tv ratings would surely rise :p

Sure, it's going to make life a little bit tougher for the drivers, but are we really going to be that much more in awe of them for it?

I might be to be honest. I'm still a little disgusted that they get to do pretty much unlimited practice starts before going to the grid on race day. Far too much of this shit is garage tweaked / analysed these days.

Sure, go crazy on all of that in practice. But for qualifying and race day I think the only influence the garage should have is on when to pull the driver into the pits and how much wing to change when they're there. Timing related stuff aside of course.

I thought they took an important step in banning the blown diffuser, thats what made passing so bloody difficult. This year,all the best overtakes we've seen have been without DRS and last race at Spa, we saw all kind of overtaking in the run down to the bus stop chicane, which isnt a DRS zone. Its not even needed on some tracks and on others, like Monaco or Hungary it is useless.

I might be to be honest. I'm still a little disgusted that they get to do pretty much unlimited practice starts before going to the grid on race day. Far too much of this shit is garage tweaked / analysed these days.

Sure, go crazy on all of that in practice. But for qualifying and race day I think the only influence the garage should have is on when to pull the driver into the pits and how much wing to change when they're there. Timing related stuff aside of course.
Eh, but it still doesnt guarantee a good start. Mark Webber's starts were notoriously bad, Rosberg was slow off the line at Spa and at Monza, Lewis' race was almost wrecked by a software glitch.
I believe there's still a significant amount of driver skill in the starts, which is why certain drivers distinguish themselves with their ability to execute a great start: Alonso, Massa, Lewis (Massa is always getting off the line extremely well, him crashing into other drivers is another matter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom