• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

Eh, but it still doesnt guarantee a good start. Mark Webber's starts were notoriously bad, Rosberg was slow off the line at Spa and at Monza, Lewis' race was almost wrecked by a software glitch.

What was the problem Bottas had? His team said the start was so bad it didn't show up as a start on the telemetry.

Business

I'm not really sure what difference that is going to make.

Sure, it's going to make life a little bit tougher for the drivers, but are we really going to be that much more in awe of them for it?

It would add uncertainty to the race that's for sure, which maybe is not bad for the show. Drivers would pit and wouldn't know for certain if they are coming out on clean air or behind a car, a driver wouldn't know how is he doing exactly on fuel so he may risk or not and end up with no gas in the last lap... and so on.

Having said that I still think it works good enough now, but I wouldn't dislike it if they reduced the amount of communication between driver and box.

Hammer24

Banned
I thought they took an important step in banning the blown diffuser, thats what made passing so bloody difficult. This year,all the best overtakes we've seen have been without DRS and last race at Spa, we saw all kind of overtaking in the run down to the bus stop chicane, which isnt a DRS zone. Its not even needed on some tracks and on others, like Monaco or Hungary it is useless.

You heard HAM on the radio Sunday? Even slipstream drag is a thing again.

I believe there's still a significant amount of driver skill in the starts,

Not really. The drivers skill shows on Friday, when he decides with his engineers, to what setting the clutch will be handadjusted for the start on Sunday. Misjudge, like ROS has done a couple times, and there is nothing you can do in the car.

DBT85

Not really. The drivers skill shows on Friday, when he decides with his engineers, to what setting the clutch will be handadjusted for the start on Sunday. Misjudge, like ROS has done a couple times, and there is nothing you can do in the car.

What's the bite point test thing they do for then on the parade lap and the laps to the circuit?

Also, I think there should be more transparency with the radio messages. Make all of it public after the races. All of it.

The problem during the races is that we only get a fraction of what is actually said and it can add a slat to an event that isn't there.

You heard HAM on the radio Sunday? Even slipstream drag is a thing again.

Then how come Mark Webber's starts were always bad and Alonso's starts are always good?

In other news, Sir Jackie Stewart is not even remotely pleased about Hamilton breaking his record of 27 wins.

“How many grands prix has he raced in?” he said. “Clearly there are more races run today than when Nigel [Mansell, the leading British driver with 31 victories] or I was racing. It’s the batting average that really counts.”
Stewart also seemed reluctant to welcome Hamilton to the pantheon of the truly great drivers. “He was created by McLaren, which at that time had one of the most successful teams in the world. As a young driver he had a wonderful position from the beginning. And then he’s joined Mercedes-Benz, again one of the most powerful and influential names in the history of motorsport. And he’s a very competent driver.

“The combination of a good car and a good driver is tough to beat. I think he’s earned it. He’s still only in his late 20s. I retired when I was 34. Michael Schumacher was in his 40s when he retired. So there’s a long future ahead of him. So he’ll accumulate a lot more victories because he’s a desirable driver for any team to have, particularly a multi-national.”

When asked which Mercedes driver he would put his money on for the title, he said: “I’m a Scotsman. I don’t put money on things like that. It’s very difficult to say. Nico has got less emotional baggage. Lewis is still quite emotional as we’ve seen since the incidents, whether it be Monaco or anywhere else for that matter.
Sheesh, the guy sounds almost hostile.
I believe the man has an axe to grind against the modern era of F1 drivers because they dont race in the gentleman's manner that he did in the 60s and 70s.
I remember reading his list of top 5 drivers and apart from Alain Prost, there wasnt a single person from the 80s, 90s or 2000s from that list...Schumacher and Senna didnt make it, because he didnt approve of the ruthless things they did to win.

Ark

I thought they took an important step in banning the blown diffuser, thats what made passing so bloody difficult. This year,all the best overtakes we've seen have been without DRS and last race at Spa, we saw all kind of overtaking in the run down to the bus stop chicane, which isnt a DRS zone. Its not even needed on some tracks and on others, like Monaco or Hungary it is useless.

The problem lies with the front-wing and the floor.

EDIT: Stewart is silly.

EDIT2: Somehow I completely missed LdM stepping down. What a sad day, I actually liked LdM :( Can't tell if I'm surprised that Bernie is going to be around in F1 longer than LdM.

Shaneus

I did not imply he was lying, but he was leaving some things out. Like f.i. the very interesting Lauda interview from Saturday, which in fact started the conspiracy stuff.
Fair call, I didn't think you were... just... yeah :)

On another note, another pearler from WTF1's FB:
GOJM5EN.jpg

I wonder how the press will react, should Ferrari be more competitive next year (LOL). Are they going to give LdM some credit or is he going to be Ballmer'd?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I wonder how the press will react, should Ferrari be more competitive next year (LOL). Are they going to give LdM some credit or is he going to be Ballmer'd?

I think they will undergo serious transition under new management... that could mean several years before they are at the top again.

Perez will soon sign new contract with Force India. It would be awesome if FI can overtake Mclaren in WCC :D

As much credit as they gave Brawn for this year's Mercedes :|

I was happy to see Dominicali go, I was calling for his head for years. Didn't expect LdM to get the axe too. But it's very well deserved. Leaving SD in his place for years and years, let down after let down has shown that he's not really on top of his game.

Redbull has emerged, a new team, yes new, Mercedes has became a strong team and now dominant. All happened while he was watching

Ark

Redbull has emerged, a new team, yes new, Mercedes has became a strong team and now dominant. All happened while he was watching

There's nothing LdM or Ronny D could have done about that. They put everything into fighting for 2007 and 2008, RBR and Brawn just took advantage of the situation and the sport is waaaaaaaaaaay better off for it :)

In Allison I believe.

Not really. Not even he can pull out a decent car of Ferrari

Maybe Ferrari will learn their lesson and stop firing high-profile people when results don't come in during one season.

Ok.

So apparently they have banned radio communications with regard to performance or something...

As previously stated, I approve... but I'm not entirely convinced they're going to actually do it. Even if they do I bet we'll hear some strange sounding code messages all the same.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
As previously stated, I approve... but I'm not entirely convinced they're going to actually do it. Even if they do I bet we'll hear some strange sounding code messages all the same.

Engineer: "Annie going to the left to get across the road, where Nicole is waiting for her with two muffins"
Nico: "WTF"

NHale

Engineer: "Annie going to the left to get across the road, where Nicole is waiting for her with two muffins"
Nico: "WTF"

"Fernando Bambino. Molto speciale ristorante oggi a 4 meno 0,2 con gelato"

"Come si fa? Il momento migliore per rilassarsi è oggi ad 2, 3 e 12. Speciale della giornata è il "Lift e la Costa"

There's nothing LdM or Ronny D could have done about that. They put everything into fighting for 2007 and 2008, RBR and Brawn just took advantage of the situation and the sport is waaaaaaaaaaay better off for it :)

I don't think that's enough of an excuse! McLaren were fighting too and they were able to bounce back faster than Ferrari and on average, in the last set of regulations, they were faster than Ferrari!

They had all the success factors and the pinch from the last set of regulations to enable them to build a championship winning car this year. And what did they do? wasted the opportunity again. That's bad management and bad decision making and we've seen it happen in Ferrari year after year since Todt left. Starting with firing Kimi.. It all went downhill from there

cmr-94

Good move.

BxQC2KMCEAA2J-L.jpg:large

haha this is great

Also, does this mean that there is no more switching dials on the steering wheels, as that affects the performance of the car?

There is nothing stopping drivers from using one of the two dozen dials on the steering wheel to relay information, then the team responding with a coded message on a board in the pitlane. Is it as fluid as a simple two way radio chat? No, but it's a workaround.
It will eliminate driver's being given specific instructions on how to drive the track though, which is good.

DBT85

There is nothing stopping drivers from using one of the two dozen dials on the steering wheel to relay information, then the team responding with a coded message on a board in the pitlane. Is it as fluid as a simple two way radio chat? No, but it's a workaround.
It will eliminate driver's being given specific instructions on how to drive the track though, which is good.

That's exactly what they are trying to stop.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I might be super stupid, but when is the goddamn Formula E race?

3:30 AM ET Saturday on Fox Sports 1 is the best thing I can come up with.

Ark

I don't think that's enough of an excuse! McLaren were fighting too and they were able to bounce back faster than Ferrari and on average, in the last set of regulations, they were faster than Ferrari!

They had all the success factors and the pinch from the last set of regulations to enable them to build a championship winning car this year. And what did they do? wasted the opportunity again. That's bad management and bad decision making and we've seen it happen in Ferrari year after year since Todt left. Starting with firing Kimi.. It all went downhill from there

Sure McLaren bounced back faster, but Ferrari also lost the title in 2010 and 2012 by tiny margins. You won't like this, but I'm pretty sure hiring Alonso was a much better choice than keeping Kimi :p

I really wish the FIA would stop changing the rules during the season. Nothing annoys me more, regardless of who it benefits/hinders.

So apparently they have banned radio communications with regard to performance or something...

Not allowed:

- Tyre condition
- Brake condition
- Fuel consumption
- Engine maps
- ERS mode
- Fuel mixture
- Differential settings
- Formation lap instructions to prepare race start

Still allowed:

- Traffic info
- Pit stop timing
- Team order

A step in the right direction but a complete radio ban would be preferable - no cheating. Steering wheels need to be simplified, brake bias changes should only be allowed, set car up in practice and deal with it. F1 would be a better place.

so that TS website was correct that Luca would be fired after the Fiat meeting, he wanted a $300m payoff but they settled at $150m. not bad.

does this mean Brawn is suffering from ill health? i haven't read anything else on this? I hope it's nothing too serious.

Prodromou starts back at McLaren next week.

Not allowed:

- Tyre condition
- Brake condition
- Fuel consumption
- Engine maps
- ERS mode
- Fuel mixture
- Differential settings
- Formation lap instructions to prepare race start

Still allowed:

- Traffic info
- Pit stop timing
- Team order

Pretty happy with that. I see a lot of complaint about it on the F1 sites but for me it's one of the few good decisions the FIA have made in the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom