• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Business

GPUpdate got a part of both driver's interviews.

Heidfeld was able to walk away from his wreckage uninjured, while Prost was also eliminated on the spot as victory went to Audi Sport Abt driver Lucas di Grassi.

"When I was still upside down on the radio I was complaining [about Prost]," joked Heidfeld. "I was surprised it did not hurt more. I was on for a win not a podium. "I placed it perfectly for the last corner and I guess the TV pictures show quite clearly I was alongside, Nico pulled alongside me.
We spoke after the incident and he obviously has a different opinion than I do. Maybe he [will] change his mind when he watches the tape. I'm sure it is possible to overtake there. It is disappointing, but I'm not mad at him. This is racing."

Prost offered a different opinion and believed that Heidfeld's last corner move was optimistic.

"I didn't see him and it is disappointing to lose the victory like this," said Prost, who started the race from pole position.
"I was in the middle of the track when I braked for the corner, just to be safe. But he was next to me and [he] already hit my wheel. I didn't think he would try something like this. There is no way to overtake there. [It's a] shame losing the first Formula E win."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/autosport-news/316134/heidfeld-not-mad-with-prost-after-beijing-crash/

Thanks for posting. Well I hope seeing the tape changes his mind, otherwise the other drivers must be really scared.

DBT85

human eyes are movable independent of the head, you know. he fucking knew he was there. there's no excuse for that move. pathetic.

orly?

Of course they are, but you always see drivers moving their head to look in the mirrors, I wonder why that is?

I'm not saying it was ok, but he swerves left as if he's defending the inside line, much like Kmag was doing in Monza. Not looking like he was trying to ram the guy who has come along side.

Konosuke

Just finished watching it here http://youtu.be/QK8_63_hlhY
It was pretty cool, track was super boring tho. I am kinda glad the race ended that way, drama makes everything better. Glad to see Heidfeld safe too. Is Sato going to race in Malaysia? I was kinda sad that he replaced Felix da Costa.

muteki

Race was fun, Fox Sports 1 coverage was pretty bad with the ticker at the bottom for the whole race. I wasn't a fan of the background music either.

Looking forward to next race.

I hope in the future they come up with a way to swap batteries in the pits, I'm not a fan of the car-swap. Really just interested to see where this will go in the future.

DBT85

So that's that

1jtVsfg.png

Nico Prost interview transcript. Note: It's not possible to understand the first question, because there were audio issues, so I'll start with the answer right away.

Prost: I was very disappointed, to be honest. I just, I don't know what he tried, to be honest. I didn't see him and then I tried to let him through, but it was too late, he hit my front left. I think with the speed he had there's no chance, you know, he'd make the corner. I was very disappointed, because I think I did a very good job today and seeing this victory going away in the last corner is very, very hard.

You looked in front and he was sort-of on your outside and you tried to give him the room there?

Prost: No, I just ... it was the last corner, it was pretty far, so I just was braking in the middle, thinking "he's not going to try anything stupid", but he tried to jump and then I tried to move to the right, but he already hit my wheel and it was too late.

So you didn't really see him coming?

Prost: No, I didn't think he'd try something like this, you know? I was starting to turn in and then, you know, I saw him, tried to move over, but he hit my front wheel and he broke my wheel and then went flying over. I mean, it's good he has nothing, because he's a friend, but I'm very disappointed.

Did you expect more from such an experienced driver with all his Formula 1 racing experience?

Prost: Yes, I mean, if you look at the last corner, there is no chance you're gonna overtake on the inside, so I really did not expect him to try there.

It must be difficult to think of now, but you had great pace today and you had a strong weekend. That must give you hope for the future of the championship.

Prost: Yeah, I mean it's good we were on pole and leading, but you know, at the moment, all I can think about is that I lost the victory of race 1 of Formula E, so it's very hard.

The accident in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pftr1Wtb40E

TylerD

Not a bad start to the series. Have to start somewhere and think there was some good racing and drama. The cars sound great IMO and they are only going to get faster in the future. Loved hearing the tires complaining. Having a fully electric racing series is alright by me.

I'll continue to watch and support it.

Not a bad start to the series. Have to start somewhere and think there was some good racing and drama. The cars sound great IMO and they are only going to get faster in the future. Loved hearing the tires complaining. Having a fully electric racing series is alright by me.

I'll continue to watch and support it.
Cars sound bloody awful. And not because they're quiet or there's a lack of noise and I want it to sound like a monster truck - its just the noise is so unpleasant. Such a whiny noise. Like me now.

Just watched the crash video. Sloppy move by Prost. Thank God Nick's okay.

Also, this is my first post here ^^. Been following F1 since 2003 and a huge fan of Kimi. This season I'm hoping Ricciardo to pull a 2007
altough that's quite unlikely

Also, this is my first post here ^^. Been following F1 since 2003 and a huge fan of Kimi. This season I'm hoping Ricciardo to pull a 2007

Welcome to F1GAF!

Please remember that it can get a bit rough in here, but I hope that won't put you off too much.

hamchan

Jesus, just watched a replay of the race on youtube. What a finish with that crash, insane. This really does add some drama to the competition, will watch the next race!

I do like the cars. Also I feel this is all just getting us closer and closer to Wipeout becoming real.

Chris R

So the Formula-E race wasn't terrible. I'd like to see more on track action/passing, but for a first race what we saw was pretty good. The tracks all seem to improve as the year goes on as well.

The battery tech will continue to improve, hopefully to the point where they don't NEED to swap cars any longer. If the car swapping proves to be popular maybe they keep upgrading the engine speed and make it so tires fall off around 50% of the race distance as well?

I wish there was a reasonable way to watch it in the US. Doesn't even have to be live.

Fox Sports 1 is a VERY reasonable way to watch...

neoanarch

Seen the replay on youtube as well. Overall it was pretty exciting. I'm not a fan of the car swap but its not a dealbreaker. It could also set up some pretty intresting strategioes. The longer they can stretch out the power on the first car the harder they can race on the second. Too bad its a two month wait for the next race.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
German media reporting that Aldo Costa signed long term contract extension with Mercedes. Other key members of their staff are already on long term contracts.

Aaron

Fox Sports 1 is a VERY reasonable way to watch...
I don't have cable. I don't have any need for it. I can watch Formula 1, it's in Spanish but I don't pay attention to the announcers much anyway, but they don't seem interested in carrying Formula E. I just thought with a new sport they'd have more of a online presence, like one not restricted to the UK. Have it up on Hulu or something.

RayStorm

My main problem with Formula E today was how slow the cars looked. It's either those long and wide straights, the comparatively low top speed or the noise, or all three in combination, but those cars looked as slow as I have ever seen any car look on a race track.

I am also slightly surprised at the cars having as many gears as they apparently have. And the amount of cars having trouble to initially start felt way higher than it should have been.

And finally I'm still a bit confused why the rather have the driver swap cars than design a way to quickly change the battery pack.

DBT85

And finally I'm still a bit confused why the rather have the driver swap cars than design a way to quickly change the battery pack.

The battery will likely be structural, what with its size and weight. It's not like popping a couple of AAs in your remote. Taking it out probably means the car falls in half.

Chris R

I don't have cable. I don't have any need for it. I can watch Formula 1, it's in Spanish but I don't pay attention to the announcers much anyway, but they don't seem interested in carrying Formula E. I just thought with a new sport they'd have more of a online presence, like one not restricted to the UK. Have it up on Hulu or something.

This is the FIA we are talking about. Sorry about the not cable thing, I'm just pumped it isn't on Fox Sports 2 or MAVTV

Hasney

Hulu has to actually want to put it up, I believe.

RayStorm

The battery will likely be structural, what with its size and weight. It's not like popping a couple of AAs in your remote. Taking it out probably means the car falls in half.

Might be, but my point is that a different solution with a changeable battery might be better to spectate.

Gruso

So I made a video that some of you may like. It's hardly professional - just a personal edit that I did for fun. I've got a pretty good collection of season reviews, and one of my favourite things is the evolution of intro music over the years. From the jumpin' jazz of the 50s to the big synths of the 80s, into electronica in the 90s and finally the Fus Roh Dah orchestral epics of the last few years. I wanted to put that evolution in one place, and the result was a 30 minute musical journey through 60 years of F1.

It's gonna get FOM'd soon enough. In the meantime I hope some other folk share my weird passion for cheesy music and get some enjoyment out of this :)

Doomed Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s60niH1EF4

Dailymotion backup: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25r7kv_60-odd-years_sport

Just watched the Formula E race. Prost is lucky to just get a grid penalty for that move. He can say what he like about taking a line for the corner and hitting him by accident, but he never once used a line like that for the corner during the race.

He tried to scare him off the move and took him out. Simple as that.

The first time I've seen Prost race in that Formula E and what a complete degenerate, he should be thrown out of the championship for what he did. I thought Heidfeld was going to molly wop him when he ran after him... I was left disappointed :(

Dead Man

So that's that

1jtVsfg.png

Heidfeld replied

BxbAeqJCUAAYPNr.png
I always liked Heidfeld, but my respect for Prost just went up quite a bit, very big to publicly make that statement. Some current F1 drivers could learn from these two. Shame Heidfeld never got a great car.

Welcome to the monkey house :)

yami4ct

Finally catching the Formula E race. Half way through now and first impression is, oh my god is the Fox US broadcast amateur hour. Mindless commentary, terrible sound balance so you can't even really hear the commentary well, terrible graphic layouts that are tricky to even read. Not sure if the FIA is providing the camera work, but even that isn't amazing. Not great at hitting the interesting parts of the race like in F1 making it hard to keep track of the action. Also, god awful musical loops.

Race itself is fairly interesting, barring the boring early safety car delay. If they can improve the broadcast, I have decent hopes for this series. I also hope the future tracks are more interesting than Beijing as, honestly, I found this track to bit a bit boring. Great scenery, but the layout itself left a bit to be desired.

Gruso

Finally catching the Formula E race. Half way through now and first impression is, oh my god is the Fox US broadcast amateur hour. Mindless commentary, terrible sound balance so you can't even really hear the commentary well, terrible graphic layouts that are tricky to even read. Not sure if the FIA is providing the camera work, but even that isn't amazing. Not great at hitting the interesting parts of the race like in F1 making it hard to keep track of the action. Also, god awful musical loops.
Considering that this was their first outing, I think you're being a bit harsh! It takes time for everything in the production to gel, from the director down to the commentators. Even Sky was shit for the first year. Not sure who is directing the FE production, but I assume the series has its own dedicated team the same as FOM does.

The data overlays were very detailed and very cool IMO. But they need to be tweaked for readability. As for the background music, I definitely wouldn't want to see that in F1 - but almost every other sport (including motorsport) does it. Remember what they're trying to do here: Make the sport engaging for a newer generation who quite frankly don't have the attention span of core F1 fans. Fill music is cheesy, but it keeps the energy up.

I thought that everything from the facilities to the production were of surprising quality for a debut - but it goes without saying that they probably won't hit their stride until next year.

yami4ct

Considering that this was their first outing, I think you're being a bit harsh! It takes time for everything in the production to gel, from the director down to the commentators. Even Sky was shit for the first year. Not sure who is directing the FE production, but I assume the series has its own dedicated team the same as FOM does.

The data overlays were very detailed and very cool IMO. But they need to be tweaked for readability. As for the background music, I definitely wouldn't want to see that in F1 - but almost every other sport (including motorsport) does it. Remember what they're trying to do here: Make the sport engaging for a newer generation who quite frankly don't have the attention span of core F1 fans. Fill music is cheesy, but it keeps the energy up.

I thought that everything from the facilities to the production were of surprising quality for a debut - but it goes without saying that they probably won't hit their stride until next year.

Yeah, I definitely will cut them some slack for it being first season. Stuff like audio mix is really easy to fix later on. Music can be toned down, and probably will be, as they move on. The quality of commentary wasn't up to where I'd like it to be, but it was good enough when you could actually hear it. It was just really frustrating how much the poor production cut down the watchability of the race. It was so far below what I'm used to from NBC-Sports coverage, which isn't perfect but definitely decent.

I agree the graphics where conceptually super neat. I love seeing data like battery usage and it really helps differentiate the sport strategically from F1. It was super cool seeing what different factors Formula-E drivers have to deal with. The problems I have is that they seemed to be missing basic info that makes it easier to keep track of the race. For instance, the place board graphics they used didn't appear nearly enough and they're placement (often as a scrolling ticker at the bottom) made it difficult to keep track of. A simple place tracker on the side of the screen similar to what NBC uses on F1 would make the race far easier for me to watch and get interested in, especially as I learn the cars and drivers early on.

As you said, it's certainly early on and tons can be fixed easily and quickly. I won't stop watching because of what I see as a poor broadcast standard, but it certainly affected my enjoyment of the inaugural race.

Nuklear

Banned
I liked the Formula E race but they need to ditch that DJ shit. It's very distracting from the race. I like the sound of the cars too. It's pretty cool.

I don't know what the rest of the tracks are like, but they need to design them to these cars. Shorter tracks with more corners to show off the torque and less long straights to highlight the low 160km/h top speed. They just looked slow on the featureless long Beijing straights.

NOKYARD

Well they're working on having charging plates in the road. That should be decent to watch.
I hope they set it up like the Joker Lap in Rallycross so recharging becomes a strategic element, rather than an induction spot which all drivers pass over equally.

The Lightning Lane™ could be an alternate pit-like route split between a fast partial charge lane, and a slow full charge lane. The lane's speed limits and voltage of the transmitter coils could be adjusted based on the design of the track, or you know, based on the number of Twitter followers a driver gains during the course of the race.

Juicy Bob

Just caught up with Formula-E.

WOW! What a finish! Feel so bad for Heidfeld.

I think you have to judge Formula-E on the basis of that it was its very first race with completely brand new technology. I think that overall it was a great success and I'm really excited to see how it develops especially when they get all the kinks ironed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom