• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the whole thing.

Car change? That's so lame, maybe they should put bigger batteries in.

And this whole thing about going green, does it really work? Don't they need to charge those batteries? Where does the energy come from?

stryke

Watched the whole thing.

And this whole thing about going green, does it really work? Don't they need to charge those batteries? Where does the energy come from?

I'm no engineer but wouldn't a bigger battery be too heavy?

But it should be possible to make it bit more modular for quick and easy removal right?

Watched the whole thing.

Could well come from clean energies such as hydro electric, wind or solar power. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Formula E, but I'm not sure the ambition to be greener than the current formulas is one of them.

DBT85

Watched the whole thing.

The energy can come from anywhere, solar, wind, tidal, burning Catholics. Anything.

I'm no engineer but wouldn't a bigger battery be too heavy?

But it should be possible to make it bit more modular for quick and easy removal right?

As I said a bit further up, the battery is large and heavy and is likely structural like an engine is. Removing it will make the car fall in half.

Sure they could make it just slot in with 4 screws, but that means heavier cars and they want them as light as possible for obvious reasons.

Their solutions are either a) better power/weight batteries b) induction charging c) swapping cars. d) human size Scalextric

DrM

Redmond's Baby
As I said a bit further up, the battery is large and heavy and is likely structural like an engine is. Removing it will make the car fall in half.

Sure they could make it just slot in with 4 screws, but that means heavier cars and they want them as light as possible for obvious reasons.

Their solutions are either a) better power/weight batteries b) induction charging c) swapping cars. d) human size Scalextric
Plus there is certain safety factor with battery secured firmly into the car . Also, battery block weighs 200 kg (made by Williams advanced tech), this is the reason that car is max weight is 888 kg with driver. As i read this, there seems to be two battery packs, because maximum battery weight is limited to 320 kg:

Traction battery

The traction battery is a Rechargeable Energy Storage System (RESS) and supplies electric energy to the Power Circuit and thus to the traction motor. Any onboard battery electrically connected to the Power Circuit is considered to be an integral part of the vehicle's traction battery

RESS

A Rechargeable Energy Storage System (RESS) is a system that is designed to propel the car via the electric motor. In order to comply they must be:
- FIA Standard
- The maximum weight of the Battery Cells and/or Capacitor of the RESS must not be higher than 200kgs
- All Battery Cells must be certified to UN Transportation Standards as a minimum requirement

More: http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/guide/car.aspx?page=1334

Chuck

Still without luck
The music was bad, but any music is unnecessary. Just raise the volume on the cars in the mix.

I thought the race was pretty awesome in that it's the start of something awesome, but the speed really needs to get up and the competition with development between teams will make it what it needs to be.

Also it's cool they've gotten 'names' for drivers, but eventually I'd like to see it be younger drivers behind the wheel.

Fox Mulder

The music was bad, but any music is unnecessary. Just raise the volume on the cars in the mix.

I thought the race was pretty awesome in that it's the start of something awesome, but the speed really needs to get up and the competition with development between teams will make it what it needs to be.

Also it's cool they've gotten 'names' for drivers, but eventually I'd like to see it be younger drivers behind the wheel.

I don't like the music, but can see why they did it. The whole "EJ" thing seems corny though.

Making the volume louder on cars may be unappealing to folks as well since a pack of cars together make a pretty shrill whine.

DBT85

The racing cars aren't the ungreen vehicles during a racing season. The diesel trucks and planes are. It's hypocritical. Especially when looking at F1.

It isn't.

It's not about the event being green, it's about the technology in the car's being green or greener, and also pushing some technology. F1 was using outdated engine tech, now it isn't.

Someone is free to start a v12 4L series and call it F-fuckthehippies if they like, it won't get off the ground.

Dilly

Banned
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115879
Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff says Formula 1 teams have dared to broach concerns about ticket prices being too high with the sport's supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

As part of increasingly intense talks between teams and F1's chiefs to find out why interest in grand prix racing is falling away, one item that has been highlighted has been high ticket prices.

The extreme cost of attending some races is viewed as a turn-off for many, but lowering the price of tickets is difficult for many promoters because the high fee they must pay Ecclestone to host a race makes it hard to recoup income any other way.

No shit, I'd go to Spa every year if it didn't cost me a small fortune. WEC was €30 weekend pass with paddock acces.

Kworn

Banned
So he will be the next half cast person in F1. Not just Lewis anymore as Pascal’s mother is from Mauritius.

That shot of him in the car i thought it was Lewis or his brother.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
So we got more gritty detail about the radio ban rules by FIA.
The FIA’s Charlie Whiting has sent the teams a further technical directive clarifying what can and cannot feature in pit to car radio conversations from the Singapore GP onwards.

In some instances, regarding tyre and brakes, the ban has been postponed until the Japanese GP.

The FIA has confirmed that the restrictions “apply at all times the car is out of its garage during the Event,” which means all practice and qualifying sessions are included.

Messages not permitted (either by radio or pit board)

Sector time detail of a competitor and where a competitor is faster or slower.

Adjustment of power unit settings.

Adjustment of power unit setting to de-rate the systems.

Adjustment of gearbox settings.

Learning of gears of the gearbox (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).

Balancing the SOC or adjusting for performance.

Information on fuel flow settings (except if requested to do so by race control).

Information on level of fuel saving needed.

Information on tyre pressures or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).

Information on differential settings.

Start maps related to clutch position, for race start and pit stops.

Information on clutch maps or settings, eg bite point.

Burn-outs prior to race starts.

Information on brake balance or BBW settings.

Warning on brake wear or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).

Selection of driver default settings (other than in the case of a clearly identified problem with the
car).

Answering a direct question from a driver, eg “Am I using the right torque map?”

Any message that appears to be coded.

Messages permitted (for the avoidance of doubt)

Acknowledgement that a driver message has been heard.

Lap or sector time detail.

Lap time detail of a competitor.

Gaps to a competitor during a practice session or race.

“Push hard,” “push now,” “you will be racing xx,” or similar.

Helping with warning of traffic during a practice session or race.

Giving the gaps between cars in qualifying so as to better position the car for a clear lap.

Puncture warning.

Tyre choice at the next pit stop.

Number of laps a competitor has done on a set of tyres during a race.

Tyre specification of a competitor.

Indication of a potential problem with a competitor’s car during a race.

Information concerning a competitors likely race strategy.

Yellow flags, blue flags, Safety Car deployment or other cautions.

Safety Car window.

Driving breaches by team driver or competitor, eg missing chicanes, running off track, time penalty will be applied etc.

Notification that DRS is enabled or disabled.

Dealing with a DRS system failure.

Change of front wing position at the next pit stop.

Oil transfer.

Wet track, oil or debris in certain corners.

When to enter the pits.

Reminders to check for white lines, bollards, weighbridge lights when entering or leaving the pits.

Reminders about track limits.

Passing on messages from race control.

Information concerning damage to the car.

Number of laps remaining.

Driver instructions from the team to swap position with other drivers.

Test sequence information during practice sessions, eg aero-mapping.

Weather information.

Pit to retire the car
http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/09/15/f1s-radio-ban-full-details-of-what-is-and-isnt-allowed/

Very simple thanks FIA

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Good explanation.
I reckon we will see teams using the McLaren made programmable LCD screen update their software to display tire and brake temperatures for Japanese GPs.

DBT85

Good explanation.
I reckon we will see teams using the McLaren made programmable LCD screen update their software to display tire and brake temperatures for Japanese GPs.

They'll have to. As well as fuel remaining and all sorts.

I think the idea of a driver spending more time looking at a screen instead of the track is a good thing for the FIA safety push. Wait.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
No fuel saving messages? Lol. What fuel-heavy tracks are left?

It should be in the screen for the drivers to check so its not a big deal I'm glad you can tell your driver that they might have a puncture otherwise that would have been crazy.

The most important thing is that hammer time is allowed.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
It will probably just result in more coded messages anyway. "Alright Lewis, it's slammer time" to save fuel.

No coded message allowed.

Teams are worrying over the start of the race:
One area which has given teams particular cause for concern is that the ban covers complex pre-race procedures. The FIA has specifically targeted discussion of such areas as “start maps related to clutch position, for race start and pit stops,” “information on clutch maps or settings, eg bite point,”, and “burn-outs prior to race starts.” Usually there is a lot of radio traffic as the drivers head to the grid.

“The really big headache is the parade lap,” one insider told this writer. “Engine, tyres, brakes and clutch management during this lap require a lot of engineering input if the car is going to arrive on the grid in optimal condition.

“The driver workload during this time is huge. Driver intelligence doesn’t even come into play, as the settings are all ‘calculated’ live during the lap. At best we will end up with some seriously botched starts, and at worst a stall on the grid. It potentially mixes it up a bit if it’s the former. But the latter has the potential for things to go really seriously wrong.

“I think we are all happy to stop ‘coaching’ the driver but this is a much bigger step.”
http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/09/15/teams-worried-that-radio-ban-will-make-starts-difficult/

I think FIA should allow this for safety reason and maybe bring it next year team will have bit more time to create a simpler method maybe.

DBT85

I'm fine with them not telling the driver where to gain time on the track, but I have to say I think that list of "dont's" is far too long. If the cars were simple engine, throttle, gearbox beasts of ages past then maybe, but they've introduced all kinds of technology (for the better IMO) only to now leave it entirely in the hands of the driver. When was the last time a driver didn't info about engine modes while on track? When was the last time a steering wheel didn't have a mode dial?

Peter Prodromou has today joined McLaren Racing’s design department in the role of chief engineer.

Peter said:

It’s fantastic to return to McLaren, and to see a mixture of faces old and new. Of course, I have first-hand experience of just what a passionate, focused and capable race team exists within these walls, and I’ve already seen the enthusiasm and positivity that exists to return McLaren to world championship-winning glory.

“I, too, am determined to work flat-out to do everything I can to help initiate a new chapter of success in McLaren’s history.

Peter and Honda will save McLaren. 2015 will be a great season.

dubc35

They'll have to. As well as fuel remaining and all sorts.

I think the idea of a driver spending more time looking at a screen instead of the track is a good thing for the FIA safety push. Wait.

Bernie says drive safe!
...while lining his pockets with bribe money to pay bribing fines.

Hasney

Peter Prodromou has today joined McLaren Racing’s design department in the role of chief engineer.

Peter said:

Peter and Honda will save McLaren. 2015 will be a great season.

I think it's a lot more likely that McLaren will have a couple of seasons in the midfield after this too, much like Mercedes did after they made wholesale changes. The goodness will come again, but McLaren will need to be patient.

yami4ct

I'm fine with them not telling the driver where to gain time on the track, but I have to say I think that list of "dont's" is far too long. If the cars were simple engine, throttle, gearbox beasts of ages past then maybe, but they've introduced all kinds of technology (for the better IMO) only to now leave it entirely in the hands of the driver. When was the last time a driver didn't info about engine modes while on track? When was the last time a steering wheel didn't have a mode dial?

This is my first season of F1, so I can't say I have a huge history to rely on for my opinions. The team radio ban certainly seems to have gone a bit overboard for a mid-season change. Putting the onus on the drive to make more decisions definitely makes some sense. There's certainly a bit too much coaching going on behind the scenes for my liking.

That being said, this change does seem a bit much to do mid-season. Had this been done during the break, it would have given the teams and drivers more time to react. Most of the information needed could easily be placed on the screens in-car and would still leave it up to the driver to interpret and make the needed choices. Mid-season it'll difficult, if not impossible for some teams to make the needed adjustments.

As for the startup and warmup coaching ban, that seems like complete BS. It's not even really a part of the race. It's both unsafe and will lead to some boring crap happening at start that will make these races a bit more about luck and less about driver skill, which is the opposite of what the FIA seems to want with the changes.

Shaneus

Nope, not a fan of that list. Danny Ricky is really the only reason I am watching the sport now after being a fan for 30 years. :(
And seeing Rosberg lose. I liked the strategy that went on outside of the cockpit during the race, now that's mostly out? At least, as far as the driver's concerned? Ugh.

Addnan

Maybe they will have an instant messaging app on their fancy steering wheel and get all the info that way. Loop hole!

What is the rules regarding non voice communication?

Latest rumour is of an Alonso-Vettel swap for 2015. Alonso is reportedly fed up of Ferrari and Vettel wants out after being shown up by Ricciardo.

#2015sillyseason

Shaneus

Maybe they will have an instant messaging app on their fancy steering wheel and get all the info that way. Loop hole!
But doesn't that give an unfair advantage to the teams with LCD screens? From memory, less than half the teams do that. I think RBR is still kicking it old-school.

yami4ct

But doesn't that give an unfair advantage to the teams with LCD screens? From memory, less than half the teams do that. I think RBR is still kicking it old-school.

If this team radio ban holds, you can bet that LCD screens will be standard next season, if not just to convey more info to the drivers.

While I appreciate the intention, I do wish this communication ban could wait until next year. It seems to not only add more 'luck' into the equation, but danger too. Do we know the penalty for infringing on these comm rules? 5 seconds added on? Stop/Go? DQ?

What is the rules regarding non voice communication?
I believe telemetry data can flow from car to pitwall/factory, but receiving data (outside radio transmission) is forbidden.

yami4ct

While I appreciate what the intention, I do wish this communication ban could wait until next year. It seems to not only add more 'luck' into the equation, but danger too. Do we know the penalty for infringing on these comm rules? 5 seconds added on? Stop/Go? DQ?

I believe it's been said that the stewards would have the full range of penalties to choose from depending on the severity of the infraction. Almost no way this doesn't lead to some controversy of some drivers getting unfairly harsh penalties.

Dead Man

Indeed. Especially with this one:I wonder if "Are Alonso's tyres newer than mine?" will be enough for a penalty?

Not just that one:
Warning on brake wear or temperatures (will only be enforced from the Japanese GP onwards).

Answering a direct question from a driver, eg “Am I using the right torque map?”

Any message that appears to be coded.

All of those seem utterly stupid, considering the list that will be allowed.

And seeing Rosberg lose. I liked the strategy that went on outside of the cockpit during the race, now that's mostly out? At least, as far as the driver's concerned? Ugh.

Yeah, and Rosberg lose I guess :)

All of those seem utterly stupid, considering the list that will be allowed.
Yeah, so the teams are permitted to inform their drivers of competitor tyre information, but if the driver were to ask a direct competitor-tyre question (like the example above), the team can't answer. WTF at these rules. They really need some further clarification before Friday.

yami4ct

Yeah, so the teams are permitted to inform their drivers of competitor tyre information, but if the driver were to ask a direct competitor-tyre question (like the example above), the team can't answer. WTF at these rules. They really need some further clarification before Friday.

I expect these rules will shift quite a bit once they start enforcing them. It's easy to just say "we're banning this", but when it impacts the race from both a safety and enjoyability perspective, they'll have to adjust.

While I appreciate what the intention, I do wish this communication ban could wait until next year. It seems to not only add more 'luck' into the equation, but danger too. Do we know the penalty for infringing on these comm rules? 5 seconds added on? Stop/Go? DQ?

That's my feeling as well.

I'm all for significantly dialing the info back, but I think this is going to be even more disruptive to drivers than the power unit switchover was. I want to see more compromise and imperfection, but I don't want procedural mistakes. That just makes people look incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom