• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

This ban on communication seems more like to try and force more car issues (increase in drivers not getting properly off the start, overheating tyres and breaks, fuel issues at the end of the race), and I don't see how in any way this relates to the actual skill of driving the cars.

But sure, pile on more complex rules, I'm sure this will "fix" F1.

Who was complaining so bitterly about radio advice that these changes were brought in so quickly? I don't get it. It just seems utterly moronic. It never bothered me and I'm sure it doesn'y bother most people watching. Seems the FIA can't leave well enough alone (which is no surprise to be honest).

Addnan

Who was complaining so bitterly about radio advice that these changes were brought in so quickly? I don't get it. It just seems utterly moronic. It never bothered me and I'm sure it doesn'y bother most people watching. Seems the FIA can't leave well enough alone (which is no surprise to be honest).

View numbers going down they don't know why, so they randomly open rule book decide this needs changing.

Viewership is going down because there is very little competition for the titles this year and because the V6 Turbo/Hybrid got so much bad press from Day 1 - hard to recover from such depths...

NHale

Some people were complaining about radio messages making drivers feel like muppets that were remotely controlled by the pitwall and engineers. Just empty shells without skill and the cars were actually driven by the computers on the back of the motorhome...

As usual FIA and Bernie saw this "mosquito" and decided it needed to use a AK-47 to kill it. It will probably cause a lot of collateral damage but who cares? More drama is good, right? Just like the Abu Double...

F1 is looking more and more like wrestling.

Ark

The reason F1 viewing figures in the UK have declined is because of the Sky crap. BBC were getting record figures year over year.

F1's biggest problem lies with how much money Bernie charges people to watch the sport, either in person or on TV; it's too expensive/inconvenient.

But I guess that isn't going to be fixed for a long time now.

mclem

I hope in the future they come up with a way to swap batteries in the pits, I'm not a fan of the car-swap. Really just interested to see where this will go in the future.

Swapping batteries is no fun. They should instead come up with a streamlined means of swapping drivers. Ideally involving ramps, one car above another, and a winch.

Shaneus

7exQhWL.jpg

Some people were complaining about radio messages making drivers feel like muppets that were remotely controlled by the pitwall and engineers. Just empty shells without skill and the cars were actually driven by the computers on the back of the motorhome...

As usual FIA and Bernie saw this "mosquito" and decided it needed to use a AK-47 to kill it. It will probably cause a lot of collateral damage but who cares? More drama is good, right? Just like the Abu Double...

F1 is looking more and more like wrestling.
Easier solution would be to not play out those types of messages. Then we are none the wiser and the complainers wouldn't know it was happening.

kiyomi

I expect these rules will shift quite a bit once they start enforcing them. It's easy to just say "we're banning this", but when it impacts the race from both a safety and enjoyability perspective, they'll have to adjust.

Yup.

As typical as the FIA changing everything every 5 minutes, the fans moan about it. Can we just give it a few races before we decry everything? Please? Can we be reasonable about this?

Igo

Maybe with all the new restrictions on radio chatter the teams and FOM will finally broadcast completely open radio channels. They can't hide behind the sensitive info excuse anymore as it's all banned.

Juicy Bob

F1 needs a benevolent dictator who'll put the interests of the sport and the fans first, then the teams and his own profits second.

At the moment, it doesn't have that.

Driver needs to drive the car unaided, pitwall (huge crunch and sensor team behind race engineer) is having too much of an influence on the driver and the management of the car, to the extent that the FIA needs to step in.

Surely this is a good thing??
Especially in the only real fight, the inte Merc battle. Surely the better driver will win now, the one with the best car feel.
Its hardly going to spoil the Championship, 'oh Nico is a false champion because he was better suited to reading his on tyre deg.... etc... '

Although I am sure we are going to see that pretty soon...

Dead Man

Yup.

As typical as the FIA changing everything every 5 minutes, the fans moan about it. Can we just give it a few races before we decry everything? Please? Can we be reasonable about this?

When the FIA stop doing stupid things, I will stop pointing out how stupid the things they do are.

F1 needs a benevolent dictator who'll put the interests of the sport and the fans first, then the teams and his own profits second.

At the moment, it doesn't have that.

Again, I don't think the rule change is a bad idea. But introducing it in the middle of the season might be.

dubc35

Again, I don't think the rule change is a bad idea. But introducing it in the middle of the season might be.

I agree. I'm fine with the changes but why introduce them mid-season. Introducing them prior to the summer break with implementation at Spa would have been more reasonable if the rules have to be implemented this season.

Grieves

The reason F1 viewing figures in the UK have declined is because of the Sky crap. BBC were getting record figures year over year.

This. The forced five hour media blackout is killing the sport for most people I know.

Whilst waiting for the BBC to show the Bahrain GP, my step-daught was flicking the TV channels and put BBC3 on long enough for me to hear "Sports headlines, and Lewis Hamilton has won the Bahrain GP..." WTF, so the exciting last ten laps was ruined for me because I already knew who had won. A lot of people I know are not watching F1 anymore whereas a couple of years ago they wouldn't have missed a race.

Ark

This. The forced five hour media blackout is killing the sport for most people I know.

Whilst waiting for the BBC to show the Bahrain GP, my step-daught was flicking the TV channels and put BBC3 on long enough for me to hear "Sports headlines, and Lewis Hamilton has won the Bahrain GP..." WTF, so the exciting last ten laps was ruined for me because I already knew who had won. A lot of people I know are not watching F1 anymore whereas a couple of years ago they wouldn't have missed a race.

I've also had similar experiences. Literally all of my friends that were regularly watching F1 during the ITV/BBC era all stopped when it switched to Sky. No one wants to watch 70% highlights five hours after the actual GP itself and no one wants to buy Sky unless they're already watching the Premier League.

I'd love to know what Sky's figures are this year compared to the BBC. It would've been significantly better if Channel 4 got the deal. Dammit. It's going to be this way until 2017 too, right?

EDIT: Just looked it up, apparently Sky has the rights up to and including the 2018 season..

AndyD

aka andydumi

Not worse than the US situation where the ticker news also spoil the race before it's shown.

Or my favorite infuriating moment, when they show super brief news highlights at the end of the previous program before leading into the race broadcast. And they show podium shots spoiling the race they are about to show. So you have to intentionally not tune to the channel until a minute or two after you think coverage starts. And if you use a DVR, they all pad the beginning, so you see the last few seconds of the previous show, the exact spoiler you want to avoid.

At least half a dozen instances of this have happened to me over the past couple of years.

DBT85

Viewing figures data

http://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/?s=ratings

Sky
The 2014 story
Starting off with Sky Sports F1, their race day programme has averaged 746k across three and a half hours from 12:00 to 15:30, or equivalent. The number is up 3.0 percent on 2013’s mid-season number of 724k. It is, however, down on the first half of 2012, which across the respective three and a half hour slots averaged 779k. The main reason for the drop is because, in 2012, Sky Sports offered their channels across the German Grand Prix weekend as free, something that has not happened since. Removing this would bring their 2012 average into line with the 2014 number.

BBC
Over on the BBC, their figures have dropped. Average audiences for Formula 1, in comparison to the first half of 2013 have dropped by 18 percent, and are now back in line to what they were in 2012. An average of 3.12m tuned in to the first ten races on the BBC, compared to 3.81m in 2013 and 3.16m in 2012. Even removing last year’s inflated German Grand Prix highlights programme, 2014 is down half a million currently on 2013.

dalin80

Banned
That's insane given there's a Brit fighting for the title.

For a lot of British fans trying to watch F1 isn't worth it anymore, you get to see some of the championship at random events now and then? Fuck that. For 15 years I never missed a race, now only half are available to view and I don't watch them, it's like trying to follow a TV show when you only get to see 10 of the 22 eps each year. A couple of friends who used to watch religiously have done the same, last few years on occasion I would hear from them 'yeah I watched a bit, same old douche winning'. This year 'yeah I watched a bit, just that rosberg twat again'.

With some luck Bernie will stop bribing death soon so we can get someone in charge who doesn't hate the people who try to watch the sport.

hadareud

The Translator
The BBC number is such a small sample, it can change significantly with a single race. And they are nearly identical to two years ago.

Sorry, but there's nothing to see in those numbers. Let's wait until the end of the year.

They are only slightly more meaningful than the post above telling us that Brits don't care about F1 based on a sample of one.

DBT85

The BBC number is such a small sample, it can change significantly with a single race. And they are nearly identical to two years ago.

Sorry, but there's nothing to see in those numbers. Let's wait until the end of the year.

They are only slightly more meaningful than the post above telling us that Brits don't care about F1 based on a sample of one.

Small sample? It's the first half of the season.

Chris R

Looks like F1 in the USA is slowly catching on.

Nearly half a million people are watching races every week now it seems, which is a great figure when you figure the start time of the European races (5 AM on the West Coast, 4 AM for me :( )

Nearly half a million people are watching races every week now it seems, which is a great figure when you figure the start time of the European races (5 AM on the West Coast, 4 AM for me :( )

I specifically set up my WMC PC for DVR just so I can record races. It became to hard to watch them at start time and NBC takes forever to get them online.

kiyomi

For a lot of British fans trying to watch F1 isn't worth it anymore, you get to see some of the championship at random events now and then? Fuck that. For 15 years I never missed a race, now only half are available to view and I don't watch them, it's like trying to follow a TV show when you only get to see 10 of the 22 eps each year. A couple of friends who used to watch religiously have done the same, last few years on occasion I would hear from them 'yeah I watched a bit, same old douche winning'. This year 'yeah I watched a bit, just that rosberg twat again'.

With some luck Bernie will stop bribing death soon so we can get someone in charge who doesn't hate the people who try to watch the sport.
Totally. I watched religiously from 2007-2011 but as Sky came in it has just become harder and harder to care. I can't even watch the season opening race in Australia any more. I barely watched any of 2013 (the championship looked boring too, but hey) and it is only because of the close title race this year that I am watching. Races where I have to wait for the highlights are agony for those of us who were lucky enough to get every single race live on terrestrial TV.

When the BBC got coverage in 2009, F1 broadcasting in this country took a step up and it was kind of sad to see Sky just roll in with all the money and sweep up the talent (Brundle and Anthony Davidson, to be exact) and basically copy+paste the formula. And since I will never ever have Sky, it just encourages me to go find illegal streams. So it's all round a bunk deal for everyone except Bernie.

Ark

I don't blame you. The only reason I'm able to watch the Sky races is because the F1 channel still comes 'free' with the HD package we have.

Shaneus

I keep forgetting that the people in the UK without pay TV only get to see half the races. I should stop complaining about the ad-riddled Sky coverage we get in Australia.

Feel sorry for you guys :(

DD

Here in Brazil we always had the qualifying and races on open TV, without commercial breaks during the races. Only the FPs were on cable. But the numbers are getting lower and lower, year after year, and now we only have the Q3 and the race on the open TV, and there's less time on the circuits before the races. But at least the races remain nonstop. People here are still expecting a new Fittipaldi, a new Piquet or Senna. Guys like Barrichello and Massa are considered as jokes, which is sad as f*ck. Let's see if Nasr can grab a seat for the next season, to see if thing improve, 'cuz the situation looks dark nowadays for a fan like me. ;(

Wait... the UK Sky coverage is ad-riddled? The streams I've, erm, acquired post-race have been ad-free.

No, no, Sorry. I meant in the US we both pay, and have a shitton of ads.

Obviously, Brits ultimately pay too, just in a completely different way. I don't even know how Aussie TV works, tbh. Taxes and license fees, or no?

Dead Man

Obviously, Brits ultimately pay too, just in a completely different way. I don't even know how Aussie TV works, tbh. Taxes and license fees, or no?

Advertising on all the channels except the government broadcaster which is tax supported. And one channel which used to be tax supported but now is ad riddled :(

yami4ct

Good to hear. Wonder why it's finally starting to catch on? Maybe because NBC Sports is starting to take off more?

I started watching because of Giant Bomb's Alt-F1, but I certainly can't say that's the norm, haha.

NBC Sports' commercial airing is a bit weird. It doesn't bother me too much as they reduce the ad-breaks later in the race and have that whole picture-in-picture thing, but I do wish they would be able to cut back in when important shit is happening. The fact that they were still airing ads when Lewis finally got passed Nico at Monza for instance was such crap. Otherwise, I think they're coverage has been pretty great overall. Much better than some of the other racing/sports coverage I've seen.

That UK Sky/BBC split they have to deal with over there sounds like an absolute nightmare.

Gruso

That UK Sky/BBC split they have to deal with over there sounds like an absolute nightmare.
It does seem like a bit of a glass half empty mindset though, IMHO. Streaming allows people to see the Sky rounds, and the other half they get in BBC HD. In many places you only get HD if you're willing to lose half the action to ads... so most of us opt to stream the lot. Why isn't everyone just doing that?

(Unless people are stuck on poor / mobile internet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom