• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Isn't it only 9 full race repeats? We still get decent highlights for the remaining races, so not like we completely miss them. Plus the BBC usually schedules smartly with eg very early races being highlights

Williams demonstrated their simulator at an event in Singapore.

T7ZC8HG.jpg

Hasney

It does seem like a bit of a glass half empty mindset though, IMHO. Streaming allows people to see the Sky rounds, and the other half they get in BBC HD. In many places you only get HD if you're willing to lose half the action to ads... so most of us opt to stream the lot. Why isn't everyone just doing that?

(Unless people are stuck on poor / mobile internet)

Well you can, but that's part of the declining viewership that F1 is talking about it. I'd pay for a WWE Network style service with $9.99 a month and a ton of old races, documentaries and every race live and uninterrupted, but there's not a chance.

It does seem like a bit of a glass half empty mindset though, IMHO. Streaming allows people to see the Sky rounds, and the other half they get in BBC HD. In many places you only get HD if you're willing to lose half the action to ads... so most of us opt to stream the lot. Why isn't everyone just doing that?

(Unless people are stuck on poor / mobile internet)
Even with decent internet, most of the streaming options are shit. When they're not stuttering every couple of minutes, they're usually not even close to HD (even when they describe themselves as so) and it can be a pain to get them running on the TV.

I'd rather pay the £10 to watch Sky for a day.

kiyomi

I've yet to find a stream for any sport that you could actually call good. HD? lol. No chance. Maybe I'm just not using the right sites. ;v

I, too, would happily pay a monthly subscription fee for a NFL GamePass/WWE Network style package. It ain't gonna happen while Bernie is in charge.

Why do I get the feeling that Massa is the top right screen?
he just loves to be a number 2

hadareud

The Translator
Regarding the moaning of the coverage in the UK, while nothing is perfect, it's certainly better than what we used to get (ITV) not so very long ago and it's miles better than some other countries get.

Having grown up in Austria, the coverage in the UK is a million times better than what you get there or in Germany. ORF gives you nothing, apart from Wurz. At least when good old HP was still around the coverage was entertaining, if not intentionally so. RTL is horrendous to the point that it's unwatchable, and Sky isn't great either.

Sky's coverage here is professional if a bit dry, and you get some very good people like Brundle, Hill and Davidson. I could do without Herbert, but what can you do. The BBC is very good apart from the race commentary. Coulthart is boring.

Yes you have to pay, but then you have to pay for football as well. It's nice to have free stuff, but you might as well accept that most sport worth watching will only come on pay tv.

kiyomi

I don't think anyone's really moaning about the coverage itself, just the lack of a full season made available to everyone.

It must be kinda weird to be subscribed specifically to the Sky F1 channel and realise that half the races are available for free on another channel already. You're paying for half a season.

hadareud

The Translator
Like I said, having to pay to watch sport is unfortunately the way the world has gone. It's nothing new either, if you want to watch live football (proper football, not the international shite) you've had to pay for it for a very long time. Don't get me started on boxing, because that's something that is genuinely ridiculous.

Of course people are upset that the same thing has happened with F1 now, but mostly because they weren't used to it before.

Personally I like it that certain races are on both channels. I watch most of the build up excluding the grid interviews on the Beeb, the race on Sky and post race I flick back and forth.

Not that it isn't a shame that they are basically excluding a large portion of people from following the sport. In an ideal world we'd have all the races free and no commercial breaks, either.

Addnan

There's no way to just get Sky F1 is there? Can only find it with Sky Sports packages. Don't have access to Sky Go anymore so I guess that's another Sky viewer down =/

There's no way to just get Sky F1 is there? Can only find it with Sky Sports packages. Don't have access to Sky Go anymore so I guess that's another Sky viewer down =/

Not that I've found. Only sport I would watch is F1 and to get the relevant Sky Sports upgrade it would cost me £28 a month.

Give me a tenner a month internet streaming model with apps for Android, XBOne etc, I'd be all over it

Norns

So I finally caught up on the F1 season. This is my first time watching any F1...holy shit this sport is the best.

I hope the changes coming to team radio don't make the broadcast less entertaining.

I'm going to miss "Hammer Time"

Draconian

Just caught the Formula E race, and well, I think Prost should be suspended a race for that "maneuver." What an absolutely ridiculous thing to do, and there's no excusing it at all. I'm surprised Heidfeld had the restraint not to be too upset about it. Prost is an idiot if he expects any of us to believe that was Heidfeld's fault.

EDIT: Seems he apologized for it. Good on him.

I've yet to find a stream for any sport that you could actually call good. HD? lol. No chance. Maybe I'm just not using the right sites. ;v

You need to use p2p streaming software, all major sports covered in hd quality.

I'm sure FOM are working on their own video service, I think they bought or entered into a partnership with Zume who developed the software that was used in Japan for on demand F1 coverage on PC, tablets, smartphones, etc

Zume-for-projects.jpg

Blog-Zume-hits-Japan.jpg

follow drivers around the track in real-time, with multiple camera angles and simultaneous live video feeds. They can also access real-time race statistics, interact with other fans across social media from within the app, check out behind the scenes content, and pause, rewind and replay race footage at every stage of a race.

Many features are available for free, while live and on-demand premium content is paid for.

All remaining races in the 2013 F1 season will be available on Zume. The races will also be available on-demand for 28 days as part of the paid offering. An iPhone app and an Android app will follow later in the season.

“Today’s announcement is huge news for Japanese F1 consumers, who will be the first in the world to get their hands on F1 on Zume, allowing them to choose the cameras, the angles and the race data they want,” said Zume director, Bruce Steinberg. “They can personalise their viewing experience and become the director of their own race wherever they are. This is the first of many partnerships for Zume across multiple sports and geographies and a solid endorsement of innovative British technology.”

The Demon Headmaster said they were working on something earlier this season.

kiyomi

That photobomb looks hella photoshopped but okay

You need to use p2p streaming software, all major sports covered in hd quality.

I'm sure FOM are working on their own video service, I think they bought or entered into a partnership with Zume who developed the software that was used in Japan for on demand F1 coverage on PC, tablets, smartphones, etc

The Demon Headmaster said they were working on something earlier this season.

I'm pretty sure they have something similar in Sweden/Finland/one of those places.

DBT85

It it me or does Nico look older there than I remember him? Probably just the lighting and the moment.

Please that Lewis feels comfortable enough to do it however.

Aiii

So not worth it
Decided to shell out the money for Dutch pay tV channel Sport1 and watch the remainder of the F1 season there, since they have a 3-month for five Euro a month deal right now.

Gonna see if it is worth the cash for a full season next year.

Just when I was out they Verstappen pull me back in, I guess.

DBT85

Lewis and Nico have both commented on the new radio rules

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...ed-to-now-be-on-our-own-after-radio-clampdown

Lewis
Asked if he could personally profit from the change compared to Rosberg, Hamilton said: “I hope so. I remember way back from when we were in karts, the cool thing in karting [is] you don’t have any data – or we didn’t back then. So no one could ever see where I was quick.

“Maybe that’s a little bit more of a step in that direction because now you have so much data you can see everything, everything I do, any trick that I have. Every driver in every team will see that from his team-mate, but hopefully this is one step in that [other] direction.

“When you’re out there you’re always looking after tyres and you’re trying to find the perfect balance and sometimes you don’t always have the perfect balance in terms of how quick you’re going through each corner, you’ll be losing a bit of time here and there and you’re not completely aware of it. All you know is the gap’s diminishing. So that’s why you sometimes ask for help from your engineers.

“But I quite like now that we’re left to do it ourselves – that’s how it was back in the karting days. So it’s back to the old-school ways.”

Nico
The World Championship leader, whose request for “driving advice” during practice at Hockenheim in July has been widely cited as an example of how car-to-pit communications have got out on control in recent years, said: “I think can make it a lot more interesting also because it used to be like 100 per cent communication a while ago, now they’re only allowed to tell me like 20 per cent of stuff now. So it’s a massive change.

“Yesterday at the factory in Brackley I was in the simulator, all day, practicing these different procedures and everything because I have to remember a lot more also. But I really think it’s good.”

Amid early debate as to which drivers will benefit most from the communication crackdown, Rosberg pointed to one of his closely-fought battles with Hamilton earlier in the season as an example of how the two Mercedes engineering teams could previously effectively cancel each other’s in-race tactics out.

“It’s up to us to make sure that we get to the end of the race with the fuel. It’s up to us to make sure we’re battling individually with our boost positions and things like that,” the German driver continued.

“For example, there was a race earlier on in the season where I was behind Lewis and trying to overtake and his engineering team did a great job because whenever I ramped up my boost, they told him and then he just did the same. So we were always in the same boost position and so I could never have a difference.

“It could be Bahrain or Barcelona, or both even.”

Asked if he lost a win because of that, Rosberg replied: “No, it’s not possible to say because of that, but for sure that was something which I found a pity really. It’s not down to us pure racing to battle it out and use the boost to our own benefit and the way we want. So that’s one of the examples which are going to be totally different now because we are just on our own and we need to figure our way.”

Dead Man

Hamilton said: “I hope so. I remember way back from when we were in karts, the cool thing in karting [is] you don’t have any data – or we didn’t back then. So no one could ever see where I was quick.

“Maybe that’s a little bit more of a step in that direction because now you have so much data you can see everything, everything I do, any trick that I have. Every driver in every team will see that from his team-mate, but hopefully this is one step in that [other] direction.

Good lord, as if he has never benefited from seeing where another driver was quick.

Hasney

Good lord, as if he has never benefited from seeing where another driver was quick.

Yeah, it's a 2-way street.

I wonder if there'll be more sandbagging in practice now though, since although they can't get real-time data from the pits, they sure can after the session. Finding out where the other one was quick after Q3 is a little late.

Dead Man

You don't become one of the quickest drivers ever by copying other driver's data.

He is amazingly fast, but he has also learned plenty from other drivers. You don't become one of the quickest drivers by yourself.

Yeah, it's a 2-way street.

I wonder if there'll be more sandbagging in practice now though, since although they can't get real-time data from the pits, they sure can after the session. Finding out where the other one was quick after Q3 is a little late.

Yeah, might change the dynamic a bit, probably won't be able to tell from a spectator stand point though.

Ark

He is amazingly fast, but he has also learned plenty from other drivers. You don't become one of the quickest drivers by yourself.

Doesn't mean his comment holds any less weight. If you have an advantage like he and Alonso do at their primes this only helps them, even if they weren't this good six years ago. I don't see why his comment seems silly, idk.

It's basically the same message as Alonso's tweet.

Aiii

So not worth it

That's his point, he even says everyone has this advantage of looking at their team mates driving style in extreme detail, making it less about the driver and more about the data. Not having that info puts emphasis back on the driver himself, while moving it away from data analysis.

mclem

I'm just about to head to Heathrow to go off on holiday... to the US. What are the F1 viewing options there?

(I might try to catch up via the BBC version anyway, but live would be a nice perk if not)

Dead Man

Doesn't mean his comment holds any less weight. If you have an advantage like he and Alonso do at their primes this only helps them, even if they weren't this good six years ago. I don't see why his comment seems silly, idk.

It's basically the same message as Alonso's tweet.

Then Alonso is also being a bit silly.

I agree but in the grand scheme of things, it's irrelevant. It's same old, same old. Swap Vettel for Rosberg and Red Bull for Mercedes.

Perhaps, but when Hamilton hasn't had a car issue he's been making the races interesting up front. I get that it's a bit of a run away this year, but it is nowhere near what it was last year.

I'm just about to head to Heathrow to go off on holiday... to the US. What are the F1 viewing options there?

(I might try to catch up via the BBC version anyway, but live would be a nice perk if not)

NBC Sport has the rights. They'll show qualifying and races live, but you need a cable subscription to get it online. I haven't checked yet to see if this weeks race is on CNBC.

Business

I don't think he implies he never benefited but that others benefit more than him, so this new rule is an advantage to him. That's what I understand he says, if it's true or not will be interesting to see.

NBC Sport has the rights. They'll show qualifying and races live, but you need a cable subscription to get it online. I haven't checked yet to see if this weeks race is on CNBC.

I think CNBC has the live quali for this race. Also, nice user name. Great song!

@mclem It's probably unlikely that you'll have the correct channel in your room, but if your hotel has a bar (with more channels), they might be willing to help you. Be prepared to be ip blocked from iPlayer here in the States.

mclem

I think CNBC has the live quali for this race. Also, nice user name. Great song!

@mclem It's probably unlikely that you'll have the correct channel in your room, but if your hotel has a bar (with more channels), they might be willing to help you. Be prepared to be ip blocked from iPlayer here in the States.

It's not a hotel, it's a rented house, so I think it's a bit more arbitrary what the TV setup will be; I was mainly after picking out the keywords to look for in the mammoth channel listing! And, putting it as delicately as possible, I think I ought to be able to find my way onto iPlayer :)

muteki

Singapore Grand Prix

Friday, September 19 - 9:30 a.m. -- Singapore Grand Prix - Practice #2 (NBCSN)
Saturday, September 20 - 9:00 a.m. -- Singapore Grand Prix - Qualifying (CNBC)
Sunday, September 21 - 7:30 a.m. -- Singapore Grand Prix - Race (NBCSN)

I'm travelling this weekend and I don't think I'll be able to catch the race until I get back. NBCSN isn't that common of a channel unfortunately. Some races have been on regular NBC (Monaco, Canada, Brazil, US) but mostly NBCSN.

Just checked my WMC Ceton app: CNBC has the qualifying, everything else is on NBC Sports

It's not a hotel, it's a rented house, so I think it's a bit more arbitrary what the TV setup will be; I was mainly after picking out the keywords to look for in the mammoth channel listing! And, putting it as delicately as possible, I think I ought to be able to find my way onto iPlayer :)

Very nice.

A house will give you a higher strike rate for getting the right channel. It's the primary channel for EPL too if you're into that sort of thing, not that you should be spending your vacation on the sofa!

I knew you could handle iPlayer :)

@TarpitCarnivore I use a Infinitv 4 myself.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
On cost grounds? What.

One would be some teams don't have screens so they would need to invest in new hardware also new software needs to be made to add all new information for the drivers. Also by not giving important info to look after the car/engine you risk damaging the engine more which means more cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom