• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibbed

Such a fucking stupid decision to introduce a game-changer like this half-way through a season.

Then again, these are the same idiots who thought double points were a good idea.

kiyomi

One would be some teams don't have screens so they would need to invest in new hardware also new software needs to be made to add all new information for the drivers. Also by not giving important info to look after the car/engine you risk damaging the engine more which means more cost.

But surely you also need less people crunching data at the circuit? I would've thought they could leave more people back at base now that's it less essential to convert the data in meaningful, on-the-fly information. idk.

Whenever teams don't like something, they use costs as an excuse, true or otherwise.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
But surely you also need less people crunching data at the circuit? I would've thought they could leave more people back at base now that's it less essential to convert the data in meaningful, on-the-fly information. idk.

Whenever teams don't like something, they use costs as an excuse, true or otherwise.

You still pay wages also couple of people less on the track does not change cost that much.

I just want driving advice removed i don't care about other stuff.

Ark

The thing that gets me is banning help in regards to the super-complicated start procedure. That just increases the risk of accidents.

Aaron

I'm just about to head to Heathrow to go off on holiday... to the US. What are the F1 viewing options there?

(I might try to catch up via the BBC version anyway, but live would be a nice perk if not)
If you only have regular TV, one of the Spanish channels should carry the race.

yami4ct

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...4-car-grid-eight-teams-formula-one?CMP=twt_gu

Bernie says we will know in the next 2/3 races whether the 8 team 3 car thing will happen or not. Basically if caterham/marussia/someone else fails then it will happen.

Also double points will probably be gone next year.

Man, I really hope the 3 car per team thing doesn't happen. I could see it leading to such huge team orders fiascos if it does. Maybe I'll be wrong and it will just get good drivers stuck on poor teams like Hulk into better cars, but 2 cars per team is working fine as is and I don't really want to see it changed.

Good riddance to double points.

DBT85

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...4-car-grid-eight-teams-formula-one?CMP=twt_gu

Bernie says we will know in the next 2/3 races whether the 8 team 3 car thing will happen or not. Basically if caterham/marussia/someone else fails then it will happen.

Also double points will probably be gone next year.

I can't see it happening personally. Budgets will go up, not down. More kit transported, more new parts, more tyres, engines, more personnel. Yeah, a bit more sponsorship space.

Unless of course the honourable Mr. Ecclestone would like to share some of the exorbitant race fees around.

If it were to happen, I doubt it would just be as of next year, all the teams would want more time to prepare.

Also wouldn't be fair to see Vettel get shown up by two teammates ;-) lol.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Bernie rolls back on radio ban.
Specific instructions to help the driver on track from performance and data analysis point of view are still banned; "break earlier in Turn 1, try later apex into Turn 2".
All other messages about engine maps, tyre and break performance still allowed until next season.

DBT85

Specific instructions to help the driver on track from performance and data analysis point of view are still banned; "break earlier in Turn 1, try later apex into Turn 2".
All other messages about engine maps, tyre and break performance still allowed until next season.

Good. Doesn't look farcical at all changing every 5 minutes though.

kiyomi

I mean, that's good, but I was kinda secretly hoping for chaos on Sunday.

hamchan

Pretty happy about them changing their minds on radio bans for car performance. Very stupid to do this on such a short notice when no team is prepared. Driver performance messages still being banned is fair enough.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Teams are already ending their 2014 developments and from Singapore onwards parts for 2015 will be track tested on free practices.

DBT85

A much more sensible selection of radio bans.

* Driving lines on the circuit
* Contact with kerbs
* Car set-up parameters for specific corners
* Comparative or absolute sector time detail of another driver
* Speeds in corners compared to another driver
* Gear selection compared with another driver
* Gear selection in general
* Braking points
* Rate of braking compared to another driver
* Rate of braking or application of brakes in general
* Car stability under braking
* Throttle application compared to another driver
* Throttle application in general
* Use of DRS compares with another driver
* Use of any overtake button
* Driving technique in general

Zeknurn

The radio ban seems good to me now. The whole "Lewis, Nico is braking 5 meters later into turn 10" etc has been rather offputting to me and I'm glad to see it gone.

Aiii

So not worth it
raikkonen1.jpg.630x420_q85_crop.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
So, this is my first time watching F1 with the option of different cameraviews and stuff, this shit is pretty cool.

clipboard0138uo4.jpg

14-year-old Aiii would have loved this
back in 1997
. Technology is pretty awesome!

DBT85

Listening to the Practise.

Plenty of teams have big upgrade packages.

Williams have a brand new "super downforce" rear wing.

Aiii

So not worth it
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Now hopefully whoever has the most points based on no double points wins this year.

Now if only they quit knee jerking everytime something happens that is not desirable in their eyes, that would be great.

Comparing F1 now to what it was in the late 90s is almost 95% decisions made to make the sport "more competitive" and the sport is in no way more competitive than it was in that time. It's so weird they keep doing this, esp. when they find team x or team y to be dominant for a few seasons in a row.

DBT85

Are they trying stuff out for next year? It's pretty much the only reason to be continually changing chassis.

They swapped to the second one because they thought they had a problem, but it turned out to be a setup issue. This one is apparently a standard swap, but it's clear Vettel hasn't been happy all year in the chassis he's been in, but I don't think that's anything to do with the chassis.

MY TWEET GOT READ OUT ON THE BBC!

FuturusX

They swapped to the second one because they thought they had a problem, but it turned out to be a setup issue. This one is apparently a standard swap, but it's clear Vettel hasn't been happy all year in the chassis he's been in, but I don't think that's anything to do with the chassis.

MY TWEET GOT READ OUT ON THE BBC!

What was the tweet?

DBT85

What was the tweet?

lol, just a about the new rule and that I'm pleased with the climbdown, Drivers shouldn't be told how to drive but they need technical info about the car.

Apparently there is no GP2 this weekend, but a historical F1 event instead.

Practice 1 rundown
Alonso fastest
Hamilton second 1/10th slower
Rosberg third 27/1000th slower
Vettel 4th 6/10th slower.

Vettel had an engine failure at the end of the session due to sudden loss of oil pressure, but it's an old engine so no penalty. 3.5 hours to swap out so they are hoping to get some laps in P2.

No other major incidents apart from Kimi having a brake disk on fire as he came into the pit (not once he'd stopped).

Now if only they quit knee jerking everytime something happens that is not desirable in their eyes, that would be great.

Comparing F1 now to what it was in the late 90s is almost 95% decisions made to make the sport "more competitive" and the sport is in no way more competitive than it was in that time. It's so weird they keep doing this, esp. when they find team x or team y to be dominant for a few seasons in a row.

Bernie keeps doing this to try and make it more likable for fans. That's why they even considered adding more sparks with a lower plate. I have no idea if that went through or not, but it's an incredibly cheap move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom