• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

There should be a good amount of running in the first two sessions if the cars don't die right? 1:30 and 5:30am... Friday is going to be a hard day.

DBT85

http://youtu.be/ZjaOVaFn2Gk

Hamilton interview talking about the new cars. about 4 mins in he's talking about wheelspin in gears 2-5, taking corners in 3rd or 4th compared to 2nd last year, short shifting to 5th and getting a tank slapper 100 yard down the road. Oh, and driving in the wet. Car only wants to spin :D

Also talks about different cars having different gear ratios even with the same engines. EG in Bahrain at one point on the track Merc were in 6th or 7th, Williams in 8th and FI in 5th.

I'm SOOO excited about this year.

Lach

Brundle mentioned something I didn't realize before. With the tighter integration of the ERS the car is now dependant on a working ERS unit to run at all.
Last season when KERS was faulty they could just deactivate it. But now the car has to stop or there could be damage to the unit or the rearbrakes would overheat.

Webber would be fucked...

Hammer24

Banned
Brundle mentioned something I didn't realize before. With the tighter integration of the ERS the car is now dependant on a working ERS unit to run at all.
Last season when KERS was faulty they could just deactivate it. But now the car has to stop or there could be damage to the unit or the rearbrakes would overheat.

That's not fully true. The car is still able to function normally. It just doesn´t make any sense to do so, as you´d be far from competitive with 160+ horses missing for over half a minute per lap. Better to save the car and had back to the pits.

mclem

This shit gets me hyped.

9Z9EBlH.jpg

I hope I'll be able to watch the race this time. Can't wait for the inevitable disappointment.

Green for go, red for stop. More Alonso favouritism!

I'm not convinced that'll pass scrutineering.

DBT85

Webber would be fucked...

It can all be deactivated and the fly by wire brakes have a standard hydraulic backup. Just running with no ERS working is up there with Pistorius running in the able bodied Olympics. Sure you're on the same track, but you sure as fuck can't compete at the top end.

Hell, I'd be interested to see if a car with no ERS could even finish in the top 15.

All that extra torque gone, I'm guessing turbo lag would come back as the ERS is part of the system that keeps the turbo spooled. It's be a mess.

We all now know exactly why Webber left.

EDIT:

Moar pics

Mercedes
New Mercedes airbox,
BimP-c9CYAATLQN.jpg

Batwing under the nose
0563972.jpg

Rear end
0563971.jpg

Ferrari
Two very different Ferrari wings
dms1413ma57.jpg

Ark

Testing is tomorrow and my Twitter is full of news and pictures of the track/drivers!

081.gif

I'm so stoked. Can't wait to be disappointed when Vettel wins by 3 laps on Sunday.

Hasney

I'm out drinking for some Titanfall/Dark Souls 2 launch event tonight, so depending on what time I get home, I may just POWER THROUGH for P1.

DBT85

Some teams want 7 hours to change an engine, some teams 3 hours acording to Whiting

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/03/13/teams-set-to-miss-fp3-to-preserve-their-cars/

The FIA’s Charlie Whiting confirmed that teams have already indicated that they will follow such a strategy, and one team manager told this blog that it was a logical option given the risk of missing qualifying.

“There’s a two-hour gap as we know between P3 and qualifying,” said Whiting. “And it would be very unfortunate if a team had a problem at the end of P3 that they couldn’t fix for qualifying. It’s not without precedent as we’ve seen it happen in the past – Fernando Alonso having a shunt in Monaco a few years ago, for example.

“Teams are worried that it’s going to be more common, and I’ve even heard teams saying that they will skip P3 to make sure that they’ve got the car ready for qualifying. But we’ll see. Everyone’s got their own way of going about things, some teams tell me it will take seven hours to change an engine, some say it will take three, some say it will take an hour and a half. We don’t know really whether such difficult situations like that will actually arise. I’m sure things will be different to what we’re used to for the first three or four races, but I have no real feeling for what will happen.”

Lach

That's not fully true. The car is still able to function normally. It just doesn´t make any sense to do so, as you´d be far from competitive with 160+ horses missing for over half a minute per lap. Better to save the car and had back to the pits.

Thx for clearing this up...

Omiee

So many variables this year. For a neutral fan this is promossing to be one of the best seasons in recent years.

Hammer24

Banned
Wow, 7 hours is insane. I wonder which team that is.

It probably depends on the definition. Exchanging the whole power train should be lots quicker than exchanging the gas engine only. At least that's what I´d do, you could still salvage the turbo and ERS later.

Hasney

With Red Bull saying how tightly packed in everything is, I wouldn't be shocked if it was them that said 7 hours.

Hasney

Is it known which tracks are the thirstiest, fuel wise? Guess it might be different now with the new engines though.

DBT85

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/15/new-fuel-limit-2014-toughest-f1-rule/

It'll actually be worse than that though as they'll be taking corners more slowly which will mean more fuel to get back up to full speed.

Hamilton said in that interview that apex speeds weren't much different, they just can't get on the power as early. They also aren't going to be flat through fast corners so will not be using fuel up in those sections.

Looks like Montreal is going to see the cars as fast for as much of the race as possible if they only used 112KG with the V8 engines.

Wonder if teams will still use 100KG and just run harder or put less in and run the same as the other tracks.

Spain on the other hand might be a snooze.

Hasney

Spain on the other hand might be a snooze.

I think it will be great. Have some guys running flat out thinking that the fuel will cope, then have some guys running at half the power on their engine and the tension of the guys at the front seeing if they'll run out of fuel or not.

DBT85

I think it will be great. Have some guys running flat out thinking that the fuel will cope, then have some guys running at half the power on their engine and the tension of the guys at the front seeing if they'll run out of fuel or not.

The teams and the FIA have real time information about how much fuel in being used and how much has been used. The fuel flow sensor and the injectors are all recording exactly what's being used which is more accurate than they have had in years gone by.

Should be easier for them all to manage the fuel with all that data.

What interested me is what teams will do if they car gets to 100KG fo fuel used during the race, say 5 corners before the end.

If they go over 100KG it's a penalty, they'll never have to worry about having enough to get to the pits like before.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like Mercedes only used new winglets from brand new FW design, which failed crash test twice...

Hasney

The teams and the FIA have real time information about how much fuel in being used and how much has been used. The fuel flow sensor and the injectors are all recording exactly what's being used which is more accurate than they have had in years gone by.

Should be easier for them all to manage the fuel with all that data.

What interested me is what teams will do if they car gets to 100KG fo fuel used during the race, say 5 corners before the end.

If they go over 100KG it's a penalty, they'll never have to worry about having enough to get to the pits like before.

Wait, so they have more than 100KG in the car, but that's all they can use? That seems pointless. I thought the regulation was to make F1 more "green", but I doubt they're taking the excess fuel out to use again.

DBT85

Looks like Mercedes only used new winglets from brand new FW design, which failed crash test twice...

Don't forget it's only the nose that gets crash tested. The wing itself isn't part of the crash test, only the deflection test.

Hamilton said in that interview that apex speeds weren't much different, they just can't get on the power as early. They also aren't going to be flat through fast corners so will not be using fuel up in those sections.

Hamilton might have said it, but the data I've seen suggested otherwise. They were faster on the straights and slower on the corners. In some cases, significantly.

DBT85

Wait, so they have more than 100KG in the car, but that's all they can use? That seems pointless. I thought the regulation was to make F1 more "green", but I doubt they're taking the excess fuel out to use again.

They can only use 100KG between the lights out and the chequered flag. They will all load up with probably 105+KG when they leave the pit because they need to do one or more warm up laps before taking the grid slot, formation lap and then the return to pits.

F1 will be more green. They'll do laps a couple of seconds off last years pace with a two thirds of the fuel.

Hamilton might have said it, but the data I've seen suggested otherwise. They were faster on the straights and slower on the corners. In some cases, significantly.

Ah interesting.

Hasney

They can only use 100KG between the lights out and the chequered flag. They will all load up with probably 105+KG when they leave the pit because they need to do one or more warm up laps before taking the grid slot, warm up lap and then the return to pits.

F1 will be more green. They'll do laps a couple of seconds off last years pace with a third of the fuel.

Ah, that makes more sense. I was thinking that at Spain, they'd end up filling it up with a lot more "just in case" for a second there then take the penalty. Obviously that would incure more weight, but actually getting to the flag would be more important for some teams.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Don't forget it's only the nose that gets crash tested. The wing itself isn't part of the crash test, only the deflection test.

Yeah, but it looks like their new nose is difficult to reproduce. I wonder what are they cooking...

Hammer24

Banned
I don´t think the "thirstiness" of a track will come too much into play. The drivers will have most of the gas use in their right foot.

And concerning the corner speeds, my tea leaves say it wont be slower than last year, RBR already there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom