• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't have the commentary over the speakers? I've only been to the Montreal GP, but there they had the BBC commentary over the sound system all over the track. It was great.
At lots of tracks it's impossible to even hear the PA. Though I guess that'll be easier this year because of the reduced car noise.

ramparter

Banned
Android version of timing app not released yet... and I was thinking to buy it for the first time since I read it's significantly cheaper.

Caramello

They don't have the commentary over the speakers? I've only been to the Montreal GP, but there they had the BBC commentary over the sound system all over the track. It was great.

Of course they do, you can't hear anything with F1 cars going past though. I'm sure it'll be the same this year too even with the new engines.

Hasney

Of course they do, you can't hear anything with F1 cars going past though. I'm sure it'll be the same this year too even with the new engines.

You can get kangaroo TV or whatever the hell that thing is too? They used to harp on about it all the time on the BBC live races.

DBT85

Guess the Gearbox competition
0563528.jpg

Williams

At lots of tracks it's impossible to even hear the PA. Though I guess that'll be easier this year because of the reduced car noise.

Apparently you don't need defenders in the pit lane any more because the noise is so much lower. And the drivers can actually hear wheelspin.

Seen some vids of Ted Kravitz doing his testing notebook and you could hear him fine when a car went past too.

EDIT:

Also, a nice data readout. An example of a readout from Bahrain. Shows brake pressure, throttle pos, engine rpm, speed, lateral g and gear. It's old, as you can only see 7 gears and 18,000 RPM.

Shaneus

It really is barely-there on race day.. Even with Telstra it's ridiculous.. You'd be better off buying a cheap mp3 player with FM radio and tuning in to the track side commentary.
Ah, but they don't have BBC commentary over the speakers, only the poxy closed-circuit one (or it might be the one from the local Australian broadcaster, I can't recall). Either way, after the loss of Kangaroo TV, the official F1 app and BBC5 was quite sufficient. The streaming via VPN + BBC5 was surprisingly decent, save for a few second delay most of the time and the occasional dropout.

To whomever asked: No Kangaroo TV this year or last. Apparently FOM (or FIA or whoever) asked too much for licensing. Shame, because the one year I got to use it, it kicked arse.

That honestly looks like the livery of a cheap toy that's designed to look like a West-era McLaren. Such a step down from the all-silver (the only downer to that was the car name on the sidepod, otherwise it was gorgeous)

EDIT: Seems it's only going to look like this for one race.

Nicktendo86

Love it. Could have uses a but of red though.

I know it is just a render but is it just me or does the rear end look a LOT more compact?

Shaneus

No Williams merch :( Well, to be more accurate, there was one stand selling one type of Williams polo... in last year's design :(

Pit walk was nice as usual, most interesting was the Williams nose with no spoiler attached. Secret weapon?

Shaneus

So, this was interesting. Had access to above the pits with the gold advantage stuff, and had a quick walk along and back. Happened to see this while taking a photo at the Williams garage:
Is that scrutineering? I'm not sure how clear it is to see, but the dude has a tape measure and notepad.

But I always kinda wondered why they put the noses out during the pit walks. So there you go. Also noticed that as we walked further along (in the opposite direction the tape measure guy was walking) people had packed up or we're packing up their noses.

Why wouldn't they do it with rear wings as well... they're less strict on those or they've already been checked?

Mastah

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

And what was expected:

James Allen ‏@Jamesallenonf1 34m

Sounds like the FP3 session in Melbourne could see little running for teams worried about reliability. They will save selves for qualifying.

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 32m

Lots of concerns about engine problems in FP3 leading drivers to miss qualifying. C Whiting says some teams may skip FP3 to be safe...

Staab

Were you guys aware of those Quali changes ?

Q1 has been shortened by two minutes (from 20 to 18) and Q3 extended by two minutes (from 10 to 12) to allow drivers to complete an extra run in the final session.
All drivers that make it through to Q3 will now start the races on the set of tyres they use to set their best time in Q2.
Every driver that makes it through to Q3 gets an extra set of Pirelli's option tyre, which must be returned to the tyre supplier after the session.

DBT85

Why wouldn't they do it with rear wings as well... they're less strict on those or they've already been checked?

Fronts come off easily and only get in the way during setup as they need to get at everything under it so it makes sense to put it outside out of the way.

-----------------------------------

News from the dark hours

FIA approves Formula 1 qualifying changes for 2014 season

The FIA has now approved plans to give every driver that makes it through to Q3 an extra set of Pirelli's option tyre, which must be returned to the tyre supplier after the session.

Additionally, Q1 has been shortened by two minutes (from 20 to 18) and Q3 extended by two minutes (from 10 to 12) to allow drivers to complete an extra run in the final session.

All drivers that make it through to Q3 will now start the races on the set of tyres they use to set their best time in Q2. Previously, every driver that made it to Q3 had to start the race on the tyres they used in that session.

F1 teams hope these rule changes will remove any strategic advantage to skipping the final segment of qualifying and thus improve the Saturday show for fans.

Juicy Bob

Why don't they just get rid of the 'starting race on qualifying tyres' rule?

Seriously, if you need to do this much rule faffing to make it work, it's not worth it.

Hasney

This, how is the tire used for Q2 even of any relevance?

I think it's to make the teams think strategic to replace what they lost about the fuel weights thing, but fuel weights were a much bigger deal. They should probably just start everyone on new sets.

Hasney

This shit gets me hyped.

9Z9EBlH.jpg

I hope I'll be able to watch the race this time. Can't wait for the inevitable disappointment.

I think if you're a fan of certain teams, it will be disappointing. I'm usually pessimistic going in, but I haven't been this hyped after testing since 2009. Cannot wait.

Lach

I think if you're a fan of certain teams, it will be disappointing. I'm usually pessimistic going in, but I haven't been this hyped after testing since 2009. Cannot wait.

That's my take of it. I'm not really a fan of a team (though being swiss there is some association with Sauber but I'm not expecting much of them at the moment). I'm really excited because so much is unknown concirning both performance and reliability. Brundle just said he'd be surprised if more than half of the cars finish the race.

Zeknurn

The McLaren livery is very bland. They really need to hire someone with creativity. They had one chance to go balls out with colours but nope just paint half plain silver and half plain black.

The qualifying changes sure aren't going to make it even more confusing when trying to explain how it works to others. It's time to redo the whole session and put together something simpler and smarter.

I guess it was to be expected that teams would be sitting out FP3 with how long it takes to change a single engine part this year. I fully expect Bernie & co to figure out something dumb to get the cars out on track. A practice trophy to whoever did the most laps during practice sessions perhaps?

We're getting close.

Hasney

I'm working from home tomorrow, waiting for my Pulse Elites to be delivered and watching practice... Possibly with a fry up and a breakfast bloody mary to clear up the hangover. Tomorrow shall be great.

Hammer24

Banned
I can´t imagine teams sitting out FP3. There´s a lot of people desperately needing data, basically every lap counts for them.

DBT85

The McLaren livery is very bland. They really need to hire someone with creativity. They had one chance to go balls out with colours but nope just paint half plain silver and half plain black.

The Mclaren livery is for one race only. Until they get a title sponsor they are celebrating 20 years with Mobil for this race.

I can´t imagine teams sitting out FP3. There´s a lot of people desperately needing data, basically every lap counts for them.

I'm wondering the same. Red Bull and the Renault teams need lots of data but also won't want to ruin any engine parts from their allocation. Everyone else is going to have a few new parts they want to test, but at least they can reliably go out and not pop a turbo in the process.

Will be interesting to see how teams go.

First shot of the new Merc front wing? Bottom one is from testing.

https://twitter.com/Patri_tweets/status/444034951860981760
BimGhUBIEAASGjf.jpg

Hammer24

Banned
I'm wondering the same. Red Bull and the Renault teams need lots of data but also won't want to ruin any engine parts from their allocation. Everyone else is going to have a few new parts they want to test, but at least they can reliably go out and not pop a turbo in the process.

Will be interesting to see how teams go.

Just imagine, all the Merc/McL/WIL/FOI boys, all smug face, hanging their balls in the pool, while RBR not just burns some midnight oil, but another Suzie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom