• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

I question if Ferrari will even finish higher than Williams in Malaysia.

Hopefully the weather remains as forecast and we have a dry Quali and can see just where things stand. Everyone else will push the limit, Merc will hold back unless they feel they need to.

Didn't know this

http://www.fia.com/news/f1-race-directors-2014-technical-briefing
Research

This year each driver will have a three-axis, in-ear accelerometer fitted in each ear. This will give us information about exactly what is happening to a driver’s head in the event of an accident. This will be correlated with the high-speed video that we’re going to use in the onboard cameras. This is research being done by the FIA Institute in order to better understand the mechanisms of accidents.

EDIT:

Also apparently Hamilton sometimes falls asleep between Q1 and Q2 because his seat is so comfortable lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCI6aA0_jj4

Irulan

Neo Member
I question if Ferrari will even finish higher than Williams in Malaysia.

Hopefully the weather remains as forecast and we have a dry Quali and can see just where things stand. Everyone else will push the limit, Merc will hold back unless they feel they need to.

Didn't know this

http://www.fia.com/news/f1-race-directors-2014-technical-briefing

EDIT:

Also apparently Hamilton sometimes falls asleep between Q1 and Q2 because his seat is so comfortable lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCI6aA0_jj4

Indy has been doing this for a while:

http://videos.analog.com/video/prod...elerometer-in-INDYCAR-Race-Car-Safety-System/

Hammer24

Banned

3sek0t1iam.gif

Zeppu

GAF: Fuck you FIA you guys suck. You ruined the sport.
RBR: Fuck you FIA you guys suck. You ruined the sport.
GAF: Fuck your RBR you guys suck. You ruined the sport.

Hammer24

Banned
AMuS looked at the premise, that this years F1 would be "too slow".

RAI winning time 2013 1h30m3.225s
ROS winning time 2014 1h32m58.719s

RAI drove one more lap, so adding this to ROS gives us 1h34m32s, that's a difference of 4m29s.

But ROS had four laps of safety car, he lost on average 40s per lap. That's 2m40s.

So the difference would be 1m49s. With 135 instead of 200 liters fuel. 15% less downforce. Wooden wheels. And cruising at the end.

Safe to say: next year will be faster than RAI 2013.

Edit: AMuS video comparing MER and RBR cars

Nicktendo86

Yeah BS on that Ferrari article, everyone could see from testing times they werw a second at least behind merc. I expect them to do better in Malaysia, but not much.

Edit: and yeah the cars are !such faster this year, they just can't exploit as much sped yet but they will. Fears that they would be slower than gp2 look a little ridiculous now.

Lach

So I just read an article about Hotels in Kuala Lumpur throwing out MH370 relatives to make space for Formula 1 Teams (namely ferrari).

I don't know what to think about this...It's a very special and delicate situation so there should be another way to solve this....

[edit] Apparently the emergency task force had to change hotels earlier this week, also because of Formula 1 crew...
Source (German)

Petr Hlawiczka ‏@hlawiczka 3h
#F1 Costa: "We have GPS data, so I think everyone can see that, when it’s running at full power, #Renault engine has remarkable performance"

Petr Hlawiczka ‏@hlawiczka 3h
#F1 Costa: @MercedesAMGF1 won't dominate, see #RedBull progress. @RenaultSportF1 engine has remarkable performance.

http://f1news.autoroad.cz/novinky/4...minovat-upozornuje-na-vykonny-motor-renaultu/ …

Would be good for the sport, but I'm not entirely convinced I believe it yet.

Dilly

Banned
So I just read an article about Hotels in Kuala Lumpur throwing out MH370 relatives to make space for Formula 1 Teams (namely ferrari).

I don't know what to think about this...It's a very special and delicate situation so there should be another way to solve this....

[edit] Apparently the emergency task force had to change hotels earlier this week, also because of Formula 1 crew...
Source (German)

Rooms have been booked in advance, what option do they have?

Gruso

Source (German)
Worth reading Will Buxton's response to some of the sensational headlines around that. It is awkward and unfortunate, but it's not F1 stomping in and saying get out. It's just how hotel bookings go.

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/headline-news/

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
GAF: Fuck you FIA you guys suck. You ruined the sport.
RBR: Fuck you FIA you guys suck. You ruined the sport.
GAF: Fuck your RBR you guys suck. You ruined the sport.

This is going to come as a shock to you, but there's no such thing as "GAF" when it comes to this, and even then, this is such a lazy argument it's not even funny.

Firstly, the FIA have done plenty of things that have attracted legitimate criticism, but in this case, the change to Turbo, and the fuel efficiency requirements are actually a godsend for the sport. People keep whining that they're slower, but the engines, especially acceleration and torque blow the old V8's out of the water. It's the removal of downforce that's making the cars slower, and not even then by much.

Even if you don't agree with that change, having a team disregard an FIA order, just because, is an attack on the sport, and I don't care if RBR's sensors were right or not, you just don't do it.

Lastly, the sport isn't "ruined" because RBR is throwing their toys out. I said they were toxic to the sport, which is different. If they left, the sport would not be ruined, it'll carry on, but for now, RBR are effectively damaging the reputation of the sport which cannot be accepted.

Draconian

I'd love to hear what RBR have to say during their appeal of Ricciardo's penalty. Not sure what justification they can possibly attempt to offer.

kmag

I'd love to hear what RBR have to say during their appeal of Ricciardo's penalty. Not sure what justification they can possible attempt to offer.

Pretty straight forward really. The rule says don't use more than 100kg/h, we believe we didn't because of A,B,C and a technical directives aren't rules. I don't particularly agree, (well except for the technical directive part they aren't actually rules but merely indications of how the FIA are currently interpreting the rules, still silly to ignore them), but that's pretty much what they'll say.

There are two rules they potentially broke

1. Article 5.1.4 of the Formula One Technical Regulations

Fuel mass flow must not exceed 100kg/h

and if they broke 1 then they also broke

2. Art. 3.2 of the Sporting Regulations

Competitors must ensure that their cars comply with the conditions of eligibility and safety throughout practice and the race.

Ignoring the technical directive and the FIA technical observers recommendations may have been unwise but it's not illegal. If they can prove they didn't operate a fuel flow in excess of 100kg/h at any time then they'll get off, but I don't think they can prove that in a way which will satisfy the technical regulations which say

5.10.3 Homologated sensors must be fitted which directly measure the pressure, the temperature and the flow of the fuel supplied to the injectors, these signals must be supplied to the FIA data logger.
5.10.4 Only one homologated FIA fuel flow sensor may be fitted to the car which must be placed wholly within the fuel tank.

There's no wiggle room in the rules for alternative fuel flow calculations or sensors (although the injector sensors are mentioned in 5.10.3), although the FIA did mention them in technical directive TD/01614 but RBR will correctly say a technical directive is not a rule, and neither the sporting regulations nor the technical regulations mandate following the technical directives.

I suspect they'll concentrate mostly on the faults with the units and that the FIA was making up the conversion numbers as they went along. More than that, they'll probably focus on the fact that different teams had different units AND different conversion numbers.

Clusterfuck, but I still don't think they'll win.

kmag

I suspect they'll concentrate mostly on the faults with the units and that the FIA was making up the conversion numbers as they went along. More than that, they'll probably focus on the fact that different teams had different units AND different conversion numbers.

Clusterfuck, but I still don't think they'll win.

There's a possibility that the end up of this will be RBR lose their appeal but that teams will have to just go with whatever the fuel flow sensor says regardless of whether they know that the installed sensor is having trouble or not. The offsets and alternative calculations have no basis in the rules. If external data is ignored and only the fuel flow sensor data is acceptable which would be the case if RBR have verifiable evidence that they did not breach the fuel flow limit but still lose the appeal, then that's the logical result. Even if the FIA don't start pulling up teams in the situation of a known blown sensor showing an above the limit fuel flow, all it would take is a protest from another team to force them to do so.

Red Bull owner Mateschitz has said the only other option than Renault is to 'make an engine ourselves'. Maybe they should buy Cosworth, or try and sweet talk BMW or Toyota to come back.

I don't really see that happening as it's never seemed all that likely that RBR will want to continue in F1 in the long term - unless such an engine is of use to another pursuit they also have their eyes on.

But in the end, who can really say what DM wants to get up to. The mega-rich can be somewhat impulsive.

Hammer24

Banned
- Horner optimistic they can win, says something to the tune of: "the rule says we have to be below the 100l/h, but not that this has to come from the FIA sensor. Our sensor shows we were below", "technical directives are no rules"
- some clarification: all teams have to buy the Gill sensors. They have to calibrate them with the firm "Calibra", and then to certify them with FIA. Then its in the teams responsibility to get them to work. FER had to change their fuel pumps to get them give the right data, LOT had to put a dampener on the main fuel line to reduce pressure fluctuations.
- RBR said they only had four of the Gill sensors with them in Australia, while other teams carried an average of 12
- with no team (aside from RBR) differed the data between the Gill sensors and the teams own data by more than 1.5%
- other teams in trouble over FP and Q weren´t over on average, but only sometimes, to the tune of 3-4 grams
- RUMOR: RBR is said to have been over by 25 grams, in every lap of the race
- the reason for still being under the 100kgs for the race is a) RIC driving very cautious at the start of the race and b) the engine being extremely frugal on idle (f.i. when breaking)
- Horner did not answer, what RBR is going to do in the next two races

Now to very rumorous rumors...
There is rumblings, RBR defied the FIA on purpose. They would like to split from F1, do a pirate series with Ecclestone but without the FIA. Cosworth engines, free aero, Michelin tyres, old V8 engines. They point to the new three teams that put applications in, that RBR and Bernie block right now - maybe hoping they´d go with them?

Dilly

Banned
Now to very rumorous rumors...
There is rumblings, RBR defied the FIA on purpose. They would like to split from F1, do a pirate series with Ecclestone but without the FIA. Cosworth engines, free aero, Michelin tyres, old V8 engines. They point to the new three teams that put applications in, that RBR and Bernie block right now - maybe hoping they´d go with them?

Who would even pour any money in a breakaway series like this?

Dilly

Banned
It´d be cheap. Even when RBR would win every race by default, that's still a huge draw for the small teams, and maybe for the new teams that put applications in.

Free Aero and Ecclestone doesn't sound like cheap to me at all. Who's going to want to sponsor a breakaway series?

TCRS

Banned
A breakaway series will never happen.

*dons flamesuit*

It won't, it's so far out there. And even if it does it won't have anywhere near the prestige of Formula 1. I'm already pissed that a team named after a fucking energy drink is winning championships, but a whole Red Bull series that's supposed to rival F1? lol.

Nicktendo86

Yeah rb split is nonsense. They are onlyin F1 to sell drinks, lots of people watch F1, theynwatch because of the history and Ferrari. No one would watch a series with RB and some shitty teams.

As for the rest, it sounds like they are going down the "a technical directive is not really a rule so OK we broke it" route, which will just not fly. They are nuts.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I had my "not bad for a number two driver" Red Bull Racing hat on today and ended up having a random discussion with a bus driver regarding the Melbourne GP. He was in the Schumacher stand and completely hated the sound. He said he was thankful that he got to hear a proper F1 car with the Red Bull speed challenge. Sadly it was his first live experience of F1. Poor guy.

I'm not sure whether to look forward to the Malaysian GP or not. The tech interests me but last weeks race really didn't feel like F1. It felt more like a support car race to the V8 Supercars.

Free Aero and Ecclestone doesn't sound like cheap to me at all. Who's going to want to sponsor a breakaway series?

What would be the point of doing a breakaway with Ecclestone? The biggest reason to do a breakaway would be to get away from Bernie and his cronies. That way maybe a little of the profits might make their way to the teams instead of paying for another Hollywood mansion for Bernie's slutty hellspawn.

Hammer24

Banned
What would be the point of doing a breakaway with Ecclestone? The biggest reason to do a breakaway would be to get away from Bernie and his cronies. That way maybe a little of the profits might make their way to the teams instead of paying for another Hollywood mansion for Bernie's slutty hellspawn.

They would need a promoter more than a tight rule set.
How about Red Bull Road Race (a la Air Race series)? When they compete, RB want to compete at the top. Or own the whole series.
While I don´t think a split as rumored would happen overnight, if they wouldn´t be able to catch up in F1, I think it could happen in 2 years.

Ark

More to the point, who's going to govern a breakaway series? For all the shit we give them, the FIA are one of the best sport governing bodies around imo.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Ferrari has lamented the technical and budgetary restrictions before; I wouldn't really be surprised if Red Bull and Ferrari would threaten a break-away series (we've had this struggle before in 2009 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_World_Championship).

I think something like that would have a good chance of succeeding. Viewers want to see fast and loud cars racing each other; money be damned. No fuel conservation, no tire saving, etc etc. Run 3 cars per team (Ferrari were kinda right in saying people would prefer seeing a 3rd Ferrari car instead of 2 HRTs in the back), etc.

Of course, they'd also risk costs spiralling way out of hand, or not finding enough sponsors, but hey, it'd be very dramatic and rife with controversy no?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I think something like that would have a good chance of succeeding. Viewers want to see fast and loud cars racing each other; money be damned. No fuel conservation, no tire saving, etc etc.

Spoiler alert: Red Bull would have a 30 second lead 10 laps into the race and would settle into a very conservative driving style, not constant quali-style laps.
This series would just end up being the second half of last year, but with Red Bull having an even bigger advantage. You guys do remember how much you didn't like that, right?

dubc35

So did anyone make enough money to make changes in their F1 Manager team? Money seems really tight so far (obviously only after one GP though). #don'tcrashoutfirstcornerKobayashi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom