• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Stefano gonna Stefano

Q: You said that you have identified the areas that are weak on this year’s car: can you pinpoint them?
SD: Basically everywhere. I don’t think by fixing one problem you fix the whole performance - so we need to work to have a more efficient car; we need to work to have a better engine; we need to work to exploit better the balance between electric power and traditional engine power. Everywhere!

Google: Stefano Domenicali "we need to"

May 2010, after the Turkish GP

Q. Red Bull Racing keeps bringing a lot of developments for each race. Should Ferrari take a more aggressive approach?

SD: For sure Red Bull Racing has done a fantastic job on that. It is sure that if we want to recover the situation we need to be more aggressive and we need to find the performance. We cannot rely on the fact that, if we want to win, that the others must have a problem in themselves, because this is not the philosophy that we want to apply on our side. We need to work on finding the performance of the car.

Q. In terms of engine, is Ferrari behind in the power stakes of the other teams?

SD: To be sure the major issue that we have now is to find more downforce of the car. It is not really – if I could put the priority, it is not the performance of the engine. It is really the way that you can have the traction and use the power.

Q. You say you won't get depressed about what is happening, but considering you stopped development of last year's car so early to focus on this year, don't you have to be disappointed?

SD: For sure I am not happy. How can you be happy with a performance like this weekend?

Q. Is it acceptable though, considering what you thought last year?

SD: It is not about being acceptable or unacceptable. It is fact that we don't have to be complacent. We have to react and try to understand why in our aero department we didn't bring the things that we were supposed to bring. It is not a case of being disappointed or not disappointed. We need to make sure the team is working hard and reacts straight away. The time is there, that is not the problem.

April 2011

Q: Your race pace was good but how do you improve qualifying?

We know that our race pace is better than our qualifying speed and the important element to understand is the tyre usage. We have seen clearly how there are differences between drivers who are in the same car and that has an important effect. One element where we need a big step is to create better downforce on the car. If we do that we can start further up. We saw today that both our cars were behind Mark (Webber), who didn't have a fantastic start, so we lost out there and were in traffic at the first corner. It was always then an uphill climb. We need to understand how to do better in qualifying. At this moment we can probably take out Vettel, but with Webber and the McLarens you could see crystal clear that we could be fighting for a podium.

October 2012

"It is clear at the moment that Red Bull has a better car," said Domenicali. "But what can we say? We cannot cry. We need to work hard. Full stop.

"By saying that they are stronger, we don't have to change the approach we keep in-house. I have said to my team, 'listen, in 1982 at the World Cup of football, our team (Italy) was not the strongest, but we won the title'."

July 2013

"At the technical level, managerial level, in the level of our facilities, at all levels we need to improve," Domenicali admits.

"I have the responsibility of trying to improve the situation and to give the right people the right delegation to do their job.

"For sure the fact we have lost the championship at the last races in two of the last three years is not helping because it is adding more pressure.

"Even if we did not have the best car, by winning the title everything would have been swept away, but that's life. So it is a matter of staying calm and trying to react and improve things."

October 2013

“The fight from now on with Mercedes and Lotus is coming up. It is very tight, and we need to make sure we can improve the car. And we can do it. We need to improve qualifying, which we know is quite difficult. As we see, everything is dictated by the position at the start and, after the first couple of laps, a lot depends on how you are able to manage the traffic,” he said.

“... If we want to keep fighting, it is important that we try to improve the car. There are some things that we can bring for the next couple of races, and we need to try to improve the qualifying,” he added.

“We still have something to bring on the track that we will try, but the technical office is totally dedicated to next year’s project,” he said.

DBT85

The F1F transcripts are only the stuff that's broadcast on FOM's pit lane channel that you can get as an alternative stream from certain providers like Sky F1, Sky Deutschland and BBC (but only during their live weekends)
and I should know, I'm the guy who does the transcripts after all!

There is of course loads of stuff being said over the radio to all the drivers during the race, but most of it isn't all that important or exciting. FOM have guys listening out for juicy stuff to broadcast and they just use more of it on the pit lane channel rather than the primary world feed.

Neat to have you aboard!

avaya

Di Montezemolo's Italianisation of the hierarchy, the shacking up with Poo Bank and hiring Alonso have fucked Ferrari. That and the budget cut racing where you can't even test which is an abject joke.

Ross was the choice to be team principle post-Todt. Big mistakes made. Pretty clear today were it not for Todt Ferrari would have won fuck-all. LDM is delusional.

I hope Mercedes, and Lewis not Britney, dominate this year since Ferrari have already shat the bed, don't give a fuck about anyone else. Lolling about Dennis returning to see McLaren in the mid-field, where they belong. He's probably just recovered being destroyed by Todt in 2007.

First time I have been pleased with an F1 result since 2008, Lewis deserves to have a dominant car. Long long overdue.

Ark

I've never known sports fans to give up all hope quicker than F1 fans.

The season isn't over until the double exp weekend at the end of November. That's a lot of time.

h3ro

The season isn't over until the double exp weekend at the end of November. That's a lot of time.

It wouldn't be a reason to panic at all for a team that has shown that it has the ability and wherewithal to identify deficiencies in the car and fix them.

This iteration of Ferrari is not that team.

Badly managed by the team is all :
They should've told Massa to let Bottas through so he could try and overtake Button but if he didn't manage it he would let him through back again.
Responsibility would then have been on Bottas and no potential loss for the Massa.

Well according what I read from finnish papers that was exactly the plan of Williams. Yet for some reason Massa didn't comply.

It wouldn't be a reason to panic at all for a team that has shown that it has the ability and wherewithal to identify deficiencies in the car and fix them.

Exactly, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Isn't that right Ferrari?

Ark

This iteration of Ferrari is not that team.

Well...if this season ends up being a close battle between Mercedes and Red Bull, I will be more than happy.
Unless Vettel wins, in which case I will relinquish all hope in all aspects of my life.

tumblr_n3950apoSq1t1f0hno1_500.jpg

I really, really like the look of the Mercedes this year.

Draconian

Well...if this season ends up being a close battle between Mercedes and Red Bull, I will be more than happy.
Unless Vettel wins, in which case I will relinquish all hope in all aspects of my life.

tumblr_n3950apoSq1t1f0hno1_500.jpg

I really, really like the look of the Mercedes this year.

I do not want to have to cheer for Red Bull just to keep Mercedes from running away with the championship. In fact, I won't. I'm sick of Red Bull and hope they get embarrassed this season.

Ark

I do not want to have to cheer for Red Bull just to keep Mercedes from running away with the championship. In fact, I won't. I'm sick of Red Bull and hope they get embarrassed this season.

So do I, to an extent, but they have the second best looking car and in a year of phallic noses and dyson vacuum cleaners, I have to support that.

Not sure if this was posted already, but Jake Humphrey is apparently doing '1-2-1' blogs on each F1 race. He calls EJ in this one for Malaysia.

Chris R

I'm fine with Sebastian winning another title, I just want to see him work for it. If Mercedes drives off into the sunset with them clinching with several races to go I'll be as pissed off as if Sebastian did the same.

Ark

I'm fine with Sebastian winning another title, I just want to see him work for it. If Mercedes drives off into the sunset with them clinching with several races to go I'll be as pissed off as if Sebastian did the same.

Why? That's really the best thing that could happen imo. The only thing holding back RBR right now is Renault, they clearly have the better package otherwise. If Mercedes can maintain their competitive form even after Renault fix the engine, then we'd have a long-term competitor to RBR instead of half-season competitors. It'd also drive McLaren and/or Ferrari to the same level. Red Bull aren't slowing down, so everyone else has got to speed up.

As boring as it would be watching Mercedes win every race 1-2 by 20 seconds, I'd simply be cheering because Red Bull didn't win. Although we haven't even hit Europe yet, so it's all sillyness.

For the record: Given RBR's resurgence in form from pre-season testing to Malaysia, I'm now expecting Vettel to add a fifth title to his collection.

I still don't see how Renault are supposed to fix their engine given they can only develop the software. I mean sure, they can improve the power delivery quite a bit, but there's absolutely nothing they can do about the engine being down on horsepower.

Ark

Something will have to give, I doubt the FIA wants Formula 1 to just consist of Mercedes, Ferrari, and one Honda engine.

EDIT: Can't they request an appeal to make changes? The engines are only locked in for these regulations at the end of the year so there has to be flexibility. Though I haven't read the rules.

TCRS

Banned
So do I, to an extent, but they have the second best looking car and in a year of phallic noses and dyson vacuum cleaners, I have to support that.

Not sure if this was posted already, but Jake Humphrey is apparently doing '1-2-1' blogs on each F1 race. He calls EJ in this one for Malaysia.

huh, I was wondering where EJ is. Man I want the dream team back, Jake, EJ and DC. best years of formula 1 on TV.

good stuff, thanks for posting.

Chris R

As boring as it would be watching Mercedes win every race 1-2 by 20 seconds, I'd simply be cheering because Red Bull didn't win. Although we haven't even hit Europe yet, so it's all sillyness.

I don't want ANY team winning every single race by 20 seconds, even if it would mean Hammy winning another title. I want to see close racing with a bunch of passing and unpredictable results. If Mercedes keep it up why would other teams continue to develop their 2014 cars?

On a similar note, Hamilton said last season that he wouldn't want to win that way. I wonder if he'll say anything similar this year. :)

I don't want ANY team winning every single race by 20 seconds, even if it would mean Hammy winning another title. I want to see close racing with a bunch of passing and unpredictable results. If Mercedes keep it up why would other teams continue to develop their 2014 cars?

Because 2015 is more or less the same exact regulations?

We've witnessed 2 major rules changes in recent history, and both have resulted in creating a dominating team. Other teams will catch up. Whether it'll be too late by then or not, only time will tell us.

We should be happy that it's not the Brawn level of dominance

ramparter

Banned
It's a technical sport, you don't just coach your players around, make a new strategy, boost morale and bam! Win! Of course, firing a certain someone in Ferrari would help but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. LdM is so stubborn, he had some of the best on board, he only has himself to blame...

Lach

Great...GP2 season is starting this weekend and apparently there's no TV channel I receive that shows the races...seems pretty much sky exclusive all over europe...

Is there a place to stream them?

acm2000

I still don't see how Renault are supposed to fix their engine given they can only develop the software. I mean sure, they can improve the power delivery quite a bit, but there's absolutely nothing they can do about the engine being down on horsepower.

from what i can work out, their software is the big sticking point, its seems like its simply not able to put all the power to work efficiently and is struggling to manage the ERS, KERS, Petrol systems into 1 collaborative beast of an engine.

RB did their part, theyve made a car that appears to be far ahead of anyone else on aero which will really show in the more... bendy of tracks

kmag

Why? That's really the best thing that could happen imo. The only thing holding back RBR right now is Renault, they clearly have the better package otherwise. If Mercedes can maintain their competitive form even after Renault fix the engine, then we'd have a long-term competitor to RBR instead of half-season competitors. It'd also drive McLaren and/or Ferrari to the same level. Red Bull aren't slowing down, so everyone else has got to speed up.

For the record: Given RBR's resurgence in form from pre-season testing to Malaysia, I'm now expecting Vettel to add a fifth title to his collection.

The best thing which could happen for the sport is Renault get a bit more performance out of their PU but not too much and it becomes nip and tuck and then
someone other than Vettel wins, I don't even care if it's Ric

If Renault can get their PU close to the Mercedes PU then RB will run away with it.

Juicy Bob

I personally don't mind Mercedes dominating, as long as Rosberg and Hamilton are fighting for the title, rather than one of them winning everything.

After three seasons of Vettel winning the majority of races, the absence of that alone makes things interesting. No disrespect to Vettel, who's deserved all his success. But like with Schumacher ten years ago, total domination by one driver on a race by race basis is boring.

DBT85

Everyone seems very quick to completely dismiss the Mercedes chassis as inferior to Red Bull and that seems to me to be doing the Mercedes team a great disservice. They have a fast car, they've had minimal reliability problems, and while the PU is undoubtedly the best on the grid right now if it was all down to just that then Force India, Williams and McLaren would also be chasing Mercedes down when at the moment it seems the only ones that are even contemplating it are Red Bull, and we don't really know how far Lewis this race and Nico in the first race were just cruising to maintain a gap.

That entire car is fast.

Looking forward to seeing the new nose in action once they get it through the crash tests.

Yup, it's unquestionably quick. The fact that Hamilton can say "they're as fast as us in the corners" rather than, "they're faster than us in the corners" is testament to that.

Zeppu

Everyone seems very quick to completely dismiss the Mercedes chassis as inferior to Red Bull and that seems to me to be doing the Mercedes team a great disservice. They have a fast car, they've had minimal reliability problems, and while the PU is undoubtedly the best on the grid right now if it was all down to just that then Force India, Williams and McLaren would also be chasing Mercedes down when at the moment it seems the only ones that are even contemplating it are Red Bull, and we don't really know how far Lewis this race and Nico in the first race were just cruising to maintain a gap.

That entire car is fast.

Looking forward to seeing the new nose in action once they get it through the crash tests.

I agree with you completely. Everyone seems to be echoing the sentiment that once RB get their shit together they'll be unstoppable and go on to dominate the season. Sort how what happened last year, when they started out a bit shit, and then went on to trash everyone else by the end of the season.

Last year, the aero package wasn't that good at the start and they improved dramatically during the season. This year, the aero package is already phenomenal. They are already outperforming Mercedes and Ferrari powered teams which have better engines and are a cut above the rest of the Renault powered pack. There is (relatively) little Renault can do to improve the engine at this point and only so much more RB can achieve with aero improvements. Still, the Mercs are just dashing out in front, outperforming both Newey's magic and other Merc-powered team.

They have a fantastic car this year, there is no doubt about that.

Renault: F1 noise can't be changed
By Ben Anderson on 03/04/2014 at 00:02
Renault says there is nothing the engine manufacturers can do to increase the noise produced by this season's Formula 1 cars without a change in regulations.
Renault: F1 noise can't be changed The noise produced by the new-for-2014 1.6-litre turbo engines has become a hot topic during the first two races, with fans complaining the cars sound too quiet and F1 world champion Sebastian Vettel labelling the new cars "s**t" compared to the sound of the old V8 engines.

Renault's head of track operations, Remi Taffin, told AUTOSPORT that F1 would be stuck with the sound it has unless the regulations changed.

"There's two big items that drive this," he said.

"Firstly revs: we went from 18,000 to something like 12,000 this year.

"It's important to say it's based on the regulations, because they set 15,000 as a maximum, but the fuel flow limitation means the maximum we're running, whether it's a Ferrari, a Mercedes, or a Renault, is 12,000 and at the end of the straight it could be 10 or 11,000.

"This makes a very big difference, because last year it was 18,000. Now where you've got grandstands it's something like 10.

"The other item is the turbo. You put one thing through the path of the exhaust gases, which is like if you would put a pillow on someone's face. It acts as a muffler.

"If you combine these two, we've got the result we've got."

Taffin said the noise of the engines could increase if they revved harder, but this would be impossible while the regulations mandate a fuel flow limit of 100kg/h.

"If you want to have a different noise you have to go up on revs, but there would be no point going up on revs if you look at the fuel flow, because you would have to get the fuel flow up. But then you bring get your efficiency down," he added.

"There's nothing you can do with exhaust profiling because again you've got both exhaust pipes running into the same tailpipe after it has run through the turbo, so it is what it is."

For a full analysis of Formula 1's noise issues, including insight from an audio engineering expert and an F1 TV insider, read this week's AUTOSPORT magazine, out on Thursday.

Ben Anderson - AutoSport

http://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/renault-f1-noise-can-t-be-changed_sto4198300/story.shtml

So whatabout:

150kg and 150kg/h for 2015 maybe less because this would probably mean 1000+hp
and obligatory turbo bypass so not all exhaustgasses go through the turbo and therefore result in more sound although MGU-H harvesting would be affected

Hammer24

Banned
I´m sick and tired of this dumb sound discussion. Reminds me a lot of the 60s: "wings belong to planes, not cars!!!" bullshit.

Zeknurn

I´m sick and tired of this dumb sound discussion. Reminds me a lot of the 60s: "wings belong to planes, not cars!!!" bullshit.

This. If you don't like the sound then go watch some other motorsport that isn't adapting to the ever changing world.

This. If you don't like the sound then go watch some other motorsport that isn't adapting to the ever changing world.

Fine, i will keep watching but i just think the sport just lost some of its iconic appeal to visit the track.will be eagerly awaiting europe's ticketsales,they were in trouble already and wouldnt want to lose those circuits on the calender.

frontieruk

So wait... I'm not allowed to watch F1 if I don't like the sound now? Clown.

Not white knighting, but he didn't actually say anyone wasn't allowed to watch f1, just suggested people may be happier going elsewhere if the most important thing to them is the sound.

To the person talking about ticket sales in Europe, not sure about other tracks but Silverstone generally has the bulk of its tickets sold pre-season.

He said exactly what I quoted. He might have intended it differently, but what he said, word for word is that "if you don't like the sound then go watch some other motorsport".

Not everyone has to like everything about a sport to enjoy it, and we've got every right to complain about those elements too. If others like it, or it doesn't affect them, more power to them... but for me, especially at the track, the wall of noise was a massive part of the atmosphere.

That said, I've got nothing more to say on the situation. It is what it is, and I'll live with it.

RoKKeR

To pick back up on the Williams debacle...

http://www.f1pulse.com/features/specials/201404021/massas-two-cents-may-prove-costly-to-williams
From laps 45 to 52, before the team order was issued, Massa had lost 1.2 seconds to Button. Bottas, meanwhile, gained a whopping 3.8 seconds over the McLaren and 5.1 seconds over his teammate.

And at the end of the article...

The real question is: How could Massa do that to Williams?
I lol'd. Massa comes off badly from this and Bottas looks extremely cool and collected. Sort of hope he really takes it to Massa at Bahrain.

Excited for Bahrain, was just reminded that this is a night race. Looking forward to being able to watch live at reasonable times.

Massa

To pick back up on the Williams debacle...

http://www.f1pulse.com/features/specials/201404021/massas-two-cents-may-prove-costly-to-williams

And at the end of the article...

I lol'd. Massa comes off badly from this and Bottas looks extremely cool and collected. Sort of hope he really takes it to Massa at Bahrain.

Excited for Bahrain, was just reminded that this is a night race. Looking forward to being able to watch live at reasonable times.

lol, that article is terribly written. The time gaps it cites also don't seem to match the official results that were posted earlier.

RoKKeR

lol, that article is terribly written. The time gaps it cites also don't seem to match the official results that were posted earlier.

Ah alright, interesting. I had been looking for official lap times but couldn't find them. Still relatively new to following F1 so I'm not great at distinguishing what's crap and what isn't yet!

Acti

Just realised it has already been three month's since Schumacher's accident. :(

Poor Schumi... In case you don't know his wife is taking him home this week. Their mansion, in Switzerland, will have some redesign for Schumacher. They are build ding a mini hospital for all his needs.

Keep fighting Schumacher the whole world is cheering for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom