• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubc35

Poor Schumi... In case you don't know his wife is taking him home this week. Their mansion, in Switzerland, will have some redesign for Schumacher. They are build ding a mini hospital for all his needs.

Keep fighting Schumacher the whole world is cheering for you.
Didn't know that, thanks for posting it. It seems like there is a very minimal chance he will return to any form resembling his prior self, which is sad. I hope he can but it doesn't look good.

So they're taking him home and hoping for a miracle? Doesn't sound promising if that story is true, I don't think he'll wake up, he's gone :(

eM6fH0g.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Poor Schumi... In case you don't know his wife is taking him home this week. Their mansion, in Switzerland, will have some redesign for Schumacher. They are build ding a mini hospital for all his needs.

According to Schumacher's manager, this rumor is not true. She denied it today.

Either way, the whole situation is terribly depressing.

I must admit that like a lot of current Vettel haters I really couldn't stand Schumacher in his domination days, but his comeback did change my opinion of him considerably.

Like him or not though, what he's going through, and possibly more importantly, what his family is going through... no-one should have to suffer like that.

Juicy Bob

lol, that article is terribly written. The time gaps it cites also don't seem to match the official results that were posted earlier.
This is data from Autosport's stats database FORIX.

First one shows how far Bottas was behind Massa between laps 45 to the finish:

LNR0eQL.png

And this shows how far Massa was behind Button between laps 45 to the finish:

jQEvMEp.png

There's no question that Massa was dropping away from Button until Bottas caught him, at which point he suddenly started gaining time to Button before the team asked him to yield.

I don't think there's any doubt that Bottas had a decent chance of challenging Button, given how much time he'd made up on him and Massa ahead. The question is whether you feel it was right for the team to ask Massa to move so he could do so.

I can see it both ways. It's clear to me that Massa halted Bottas's progress, but you could easily question why Bottas didn't or wasn't able to pass Felipe without the team telling Massa to move over.

but you could easily question why Bottas didn't or wasn't able to pass Felipe without the team telling Massa to move over.

It's already been covered. Massa had the highest top speed of any car on the grid. Under DRS Bottas was just bouncing off the limiter, there was literally nothing he could do short of throwing it up the inside on a hope and prayer and hoping Massa didn't crash into him.

Juicy Bob

It's already been covered. Massa had the highest top speed of any car on the grid. Under DRS Bottas was just bouncing off the limiter, there was literally nothing he could do short of throwing it up the inside on a hope and prayer and hoping Massa didn't crash into him.
Makes sense. Bottas even told his team over the radio: "I have more pace but if he’s releasing full every straight there’s no chance I can get through."

To be honest, you could just put this whole situation down to just being 'one of those things'. Bottas seems intelligent and mature enough to understand that.

Draconian

I've never known sports fans to give up all hope quicker than F1 fans.

The season isn't over until the double exp weekend at the end of November. That's a lot of time.

I don't think anyone is giving up. More like just saying "New year, same old Ferrari."

AcridMeat

Banned
To be honest, you could just put this whole situation down to just being 'one of those things'. Bottas seems intelligent and mature enough to understand that.
Which is why he's part of my young trio I root for in Bottas, Hulkenberg (I guess he isn't so young by F1 standards anymore) and Magnusson.

Bottas seems to have a good head on his shoulders, have to respect that.

Juicy Bob

Which is why he's part of my young trio I root for in Bottas, Hulkenberg (I guess he isn't so young by F1 standards anymore) and Magnusson.

Bottas seems to have a good head on his shoulders, have to respect that.
Yeah, I hear you there.
Although, we could just still be in the honeymoon phase where they're all yet to do anything to put us all off them...

torontoml

Has this weekends race always been at this time of day? I thought I usually only got three decently timed races, Western Hemisphere ones. But this one gives me a prefect noon start time.

Igo

I can see it both ways. It's clear to me that Massa halted Bottas's progress, but you could easily question why Bottas didn't or wasn't able to pass Felipe without the team telling Massa to move over.
Because fighting Massa would cost Bottas unnecessary time and tyres, making it more difficult to pass Button. Once it was clear Massa wasn't going to let him pass the whole endeavor became pointless and risky.

Williams just really fucked up in how they gave the message to Massa. Something like 'Bottas is on fresh tyres, so let him have a shot at Button now' wouldn't have been as embarrassing and Massa may have obliged, and if he still chose to ignore it I really doubt he'd have as many defenders.

Mastah

Has this weekends race always been at this time of day? I thought I usually only got three decently timed races, Western Hemisphere ones. But this one gives me a prefect noon start time.

No, it's the first night race in Bahrain, to celebrate anniversary of 10th Bahrain GP .

Or to hide desert and empty grandstands.

Ark

No, it's the first night race in Bahrain, to celebrate anniversary of 10th Bahrain GP .

Or to hide desert and empty grandstands.

One of the biggest things that makes Singapore & Abu Dhabi so great at night are all the lights around the circuit, Bahrain is just going to be empty blackness :lol

Very true, though Hulkenberg has earned legitimate fandom. I wish he was picked up by a top team.

Be careful, he almost signed for Lotus ;) Hulkenberg will definitely end up in a top team, there just isn't any space for him at the moment.

Hammer24

Banned
According to Schumacher's manager, this rumor is not true. She denied it today.

Its a little unclear to me, sounded more like the denial that it costs 12mil€.

Do you have any news on that 'revolutionary' Mercedes front-wing? ;)

Still not crash ready.

Be careful, he almost signed for Lotus ;) Hulkenberg will definitely end up in a top team, there just isn't any space for him at the moment.

I´d say, he is in a top team now. Sure, he could make more money at FER - but would he have as much fun? Playing second fiddle to ALO?

Ark

I´d say, he is in a top team now. Sure, he could make more money at FER - but would he have as much fun? Playing second fiddle to ALO?

I reckon he'll have a space at Ferrari when Alonso and Kimi retire in the same season three or four years from now. Until then, I agree with you, his best bet is chilling at the top end of the midfield.

Massa

I reckon he'll have a space at Ferrari when Alonso and Kimi retire in the same season three or four years from now. Until then, I agree with you, his best bet is chilling at the top end of the midfield.

Why would he move from onde midfield team to another? ;)

DBT85

Is it up on the internet somewhere? Got a link?

This was from the 1-2 at the weekend

eduLAws.jpg

EDIT: The first one

As you can see, the nose ends at the pylons rather than protruding beyond them, and the pylons end at the wing. On the existing nose the pylons extend into the plane of the wing a little.

Note, its the nose thats supposed to be special. The wing its just a part of it but the wing itself isn't crash tested. The wing they have for it is ready to race IIRC, they just want to bolt it to that nose rather than the current one.

For reference, here is the current nose.

EDIT 2:

I love the Lotus Twitter feed
pAJoTUV.png

One of the biggest things that makes Singapore & Abu Dhabi so great at night are all the lights around the circuit, Bahrain is just going to be empty blackness :lol

Hulk's best bet is if Jenson retires at the end of this season. I think Hulk will prove McLAren made a mistake picking Perez over him last year.

Mastah

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 1h

Williams had to modifiy the @Martini_drinks logo on the FW36 because alcohohl advertising is banned in #Bahrain.

BkSg8-MCMAAzZXC.jpg:large

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 1h

@McLarenF1 with new logos in #Bahrain. "Esso" on the rear wing and "Gulf Air" on the sidepods.

BkShW3BCQAAYzJ_.jpg:large

Leunam

I think Hulk will prove McLAren made a mistake picking Perez over him last year.

McLaren chose the driver that beat his teammate, had three podiums (one was almost a win), and had shown promise since he started at Sauber. Their choice was purely reactionary and it shows.

If Hulkenberg had that seat at McLaren last year he would not have fared much better. Lets not forget that that car was dogshit on wheels and not even Button could save it. Magnussen was going to replace any rookie McLaren driver the following year, Perez, Hulkenberg, or anyone else.

If Jenson does retire, then yeah, definitely a good chance for Hulk.

All races will now give out triple points.

DBT85

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/308749/sutil-to-race-without-water-bottle-to-cut-weight/

Bonus question for a F1 Manager thingy should be: "Will Sutil finish the race?"

It's a worry that he might even contemplate doing it. If he caused an accident and was found to be severely dehydrated he could be in a lot of trouble, but similarly, they might have to up the weight limit.

It's crazy that it's a low as it is and really punishes the likes of Webber, Button and Sutil over the likes of Vettel and Massa and Hamilton.

It's really not complicated to allow different weight limits for different height drivers... and yet, they can't seem to manage it.

Zeppu

It's really not complicated to allow different weight limits for different height drivers... and yet, they can't seem to manage it.

1. Set limit for driverless car weight - Mcar
2. Get value for heaviest driver - Mdri
3. Every full car must be Mcar+Mdri; all other cars must add ballast to make up weight
4. done.

McLaren chose the driver that beat his teammate, had three podiums (one was almost a win), and had shown promise since he started at Sauber. Their choice was purely reactionary and it shows.

If Hulkenberg had that seat at McLaren last year he would not have fared much better. Lets not forget that that car was dogshit on wheels and not even Button could save it. Magnussen was going to replace any rookie McLaren driver the following year, Perez, Hulkenberg, or anyone else.

If Jenson does retire, then yeah, definitely a good chance for Hulk.

All races will now give out triple points.
Im cool with Luca throwing his weight around to get FIA to alter some of the rules (especially on fuel regs),even though I doubt he'd be doing it if the Ferrari were dominant.

NHale

3. Every full car must be Mcar+Mdri; all other cars must add ballast to make up weight
4. done.

That is basically how it works now and it benefits smaller drivers because other cars can add ballast while heavier drivers can't.

I like Brundle's idea: set a minimum driver + seat weight. So teams with smaller drivers have to add ballast in the seat reducing the benefit of adding ballast where they want to improve performance.

Any driver found to be within a second ahead of a ferrari will be shown blue flags

Mercedes is still safe then.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Im cool with Luca throwing his weight around to get FIA to alter some of the rules (especially on fuel regs),even though I doubt he'd be doing it if the Ferrari were dominant.

He is playing on 'lacking the action on racetrack card' due to their own incompetence of building competitive PU and car. And I think that FIA will not modify rules for this season, but it could happen for 2015

Zeppu

That is basically how it works now and it benefits smaller drivers because other cars can add ballast while heavier drivers can't.

I like Brundle's idea: set a minimum driver + seat weight. So teams with smaller drivers have to add ballast in the seat reducing the benefit of adding ballast where they want to improve performance.

Ah yes, forcing the ballast to be in the seat is better.

Mercedes is still safe then.

It'd be basically for Hulk and Caterhams only.

DD

It's a worry that he might even contemplate doing it. If he caused an accident and was found to be severely dehydrated he could be in a lot of trouble, but similarly, they might have to up the weight limit.

It's crazy that it's a low as it is and really punishes the likes of Webber, Button and Sutil over the likes of Vettel and Massa and Hamilton.

Alonso did that last race. He said that F1 is not "physical" anymore, and sometimes he don't even sweat. He said that he didn't felt dehydrated at the end of the race.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Alonso did that last race. He said that F1 is not "physical" anymore, and sometimes he don't even sweat. He said that he didn't felt dehydrated at the end of the race.

Yep. I imagine it might work at some tracks and not others.

Chris R

4. done.

Just make sure that the ballast must be in the cockpit.

Draconian

Hulk's best bet is if Jenson retires at the end of this season. I think Hulk will prove McLAren made a mistake picking Perez over him last year.

Hulk would not have fared much better. The car was hot garbage last season. Even Button barely finished inside the top 10 in the championship.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like Ferrari will try new PU software tomorrow. They are still not sure if their engine would survive whole race with new software, so they will see how it will perform on free practice

Mercedes will also introduce new PU software, they raced with old, stable one on first two races.

Now that F1 cars are slower, I wonder if Codemasters is going to artificially make them a bit faster in F1 2014 just like they did in GRID.

FUCK NO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom