• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather precessional to begin with, but what a climax! Wonderful to see worldclass teammates battling it out without team orders spoiling the show.

That being said, Mercedes true pace is astounding, just look at their fastest laps compared to the competition. We may have another 1988 on our hands.

0lD59VjP.jpg

Pimpwerx

Rather precessional to begin with, but what a climax! Wonderful to see worldclass teammates battling it out without team orders spoiling the show.

That being said, Mercedes true pace is astounding, just look at their fastest laps compared to the competition. We may have another 1988 on our hands.

0lD59VjP.jpg
Wow! Other than Hulk, no one within 2 seconds of the Silver Arrows. Impressive. I get F2002/2004 vibes, but that's because I don't remember the '88 season that well. PEACE.

Just finished watching the race. Lord jesus that was a nail biter. Exhilerating.
That may have been the best race since what, Valencia 2012? Fantastic.
Lewis, what a drive. Nico fought well, but he had his chance on at the start, then on the race restart after the safety car and couldnt pull it off. Ricciardo outdrives Sebastian again. Perez gets a podium in the Force India. Maybe Mclaren shouldve dumped Button and kept Sergio?
And holy fuck, Maldonado continues driving like a reckless piece of shit. He deserves a one race ban for that stunt he pulled, what an asshole.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Maldonado faster lap than Alonso? Oh boy.
Shocker from Ferrari, rumours of their engine being overweight and down on power. They are fucked this season at least.

It is overweight - whole car is whooping 14 kg heavier than should be and now they will also install that turbo protection shield, just to please FIA and that will add anoter 2 kgs to their scale. Plus, their PU is having issues (cannot convey power to the wheels), just check Sauber -at least one retirement in each race is PU related.

I can't believe Domenecali can last the year? They have to get rid of him...
I too wondered why Stefano keeps his job, but I believe the problem is more deep seeded than him. I want to give James Allison another year to see if he can sort Ferrari out and at least get them to where Lotus was at the beginning of last year, competing for race wins.

Was a truly great race, easily the best I've seen in years. Rosberg might still have a decent lead in the championship, but I fear this result was a crucial mental blow to him. Those last ten laps or so should have made Hamilton easy pickings for him given the circumstances.

"Imagine if we had imposed team orders from lap two or something - what a terrible thing that would be for F1 and for the philosophy of Mercedes in motorsport," Lowe said.

so the team orders at Merc last year were part of the Ross Brawn philosophy. Glad that's done with.

Ark

I've watched the highlights several times now and I'm still blown away by how quick the Mercedes were at Bahrain. I imagine the gap will be smaller in China, the track should bring Red Bull back to best of the rest.

Omiee

Red Bull dominate: F1 sucks
Mercedes dominate: Impressive

lol, looking at the difference between mercedes and the rest i cant see anyone challenging mercedes for any of the wins the coming races. There is nothing an aero upgrade from their competition can do about their dominance.

dalin80

Banned

lol, looking at the difference between mercedes and the rest i cant see anyone challenging mercedes for any of the wins the coming races. There is nothing an aero upgrade from their competition can do about their dominance.

The difference is that red bull completely fucked webber over so when red bull dominated it was only vettel who could win and as such there was no point watching. This time around it was an inter-team battle at mercedes that gave thrilling viewing.

Give Mercedes another year of this kind of domination and people will start to hate them too.

Being a Kimi fan I really fucking hope that Ferrari gets it's shit together.

They are working on it.

Spoiler allert :
It's not happening

Absolute disastrous performance by Ferrari. I can't even be mad anymore, it's just sad. :/

tumblr_inline_mv7dekVnTK1qebkjx.gif

Ark

For me, I'm mostly impressed that four years of hard work has paid off so well for Mercedes, and I'm also happy that it simply isn't RBR winning anymore. Plus Mercedes are happy to let their drivers race flat-out wheel-to-wheel, something that RBR couldn't facilitate.

duckroll

Had to catch a rerun but goddamn what a race. I'm not a fan of the Bahrain track but the drivers put on a fantastic show. It was exciting all the way to the end, and a really aggressive race considering how most of them were basically racing their team mates. Lol. Rosberg put up a really good fight against Hamilton, and Ricciardo's advancement towards the end of the race was fantastic to see too. Force India was pretty strong too. Felt kinda bad for Massa and Bottas not being able to make much out of their early advantage though.

Maldonado = WTF. Someone please ban that man from F1. Jesus Christ. If they don't stop him, one day he might really kill someone. :(

nawz

Banned

Slight difference.

Mercedes ENGINE domination. This itself is providing a spectacle - it'll surely mask a fraction of Lewis and Nico persistently winning.

Another difference is that Lewis and Nico are more enjoyable to watch and have better personalities than Vettel. Or that's what it seems anyway.

On the subject of Red Bull vs Mercedes domination... obviously it's early days yet, people will get utterly sick of it in time. Though with that said, Hamilton and Rosberg are much better matched than Vettel and Webber. Far more chance of having close race results between them. Though if Hamilton keeps crushing Rosberg I could see Rosberg start to fall apart, Webber style.

The main problem we have now is that there's basically no hope that anyone will catch them. Red Bull and Ferrari can't do anything about their engines, and there's no way Force India, McLaren or Williams are going to out develop Merc to that sort of extent. More than that, even in Red Bull's most dominant years, there were other cars on the grid that could occasionally beat them at particular tracks... there's nothing right now that'll come close to beating a Merc unless they retire.

This is going to be another 1988 / 2002 season, and all we can do is hope that Rosberg really does turn out to be Prost rather than Barrichello.

ramparter

Banned
Slight difference.

Mercedes ENGINE domination. This itself is providing a spectacle - it'll surely mask a fraction of Lewis and Nico persistently winning.

Another difference is that Lewis and Nico are more enjoyable to watch and have better personalities than Vettel. Or that's what it seems anyway.
Actual difference is that we have hopes it won't stay like this for the next 4 years and is just a welcome change...

Well, not every race will have a safety car phase like Bahrain.

If the next 10 races are like Malaysia it wouldn't make a difference to earlier years.

Zeppu

I don't care much about domination and results as long as the race is exciting as it was yesterday. Safety cars have always been a sort of joker card which changes the whole game but this year apart from reducing the massive gaps it allows drivers to race harder because fuel consumption issues disappear. That's why the last 10 laps were so spectacular.

The way the RBR cars exit corners in such a scenario when compared to the rest of the field (obviously excluding Merc since they're in a field of their own) is amazing though.

Awesome race. Lewis put in a godlike performance on those hard tyres.

I'm hoping that Ferrari fucking sort their issues out, and their engine issues so that Sauber can become competitive again. LdM's forced Italianisation of Ferrari motor racing has been a complete disaster and the policy needs to be reversed.

Ve1ocity

The difference is that red bull completely fucked webber over so when red bull dominated it was only vettel who could win and as such there was no point watching. This time around it was an inter-team battle at mercedes that gave thrilling viewing.
Oh please, it wasn't because of RB that Seb dominated Mark, Mark was an average driver and Dani's proving that.
If you're so far behind the pace of your team mate, you will be treated like a number 2 driver, after 2010 Seb was in a completely different class to Mark.

I just hope Nico can keep up with Lewis for the rest of the season to make the title race a little exciting.

DBT85

Just caught the race. Very exciting end even though I knew the result.

I hope Nico and Lewis can push each other in more races so that we don't just get one of them walking into the sunset every week like Vettel did (not his fault).

Incredible job by Lewis on those tyres. Nico needed to make it count early on and couldn't.

So, basically the last few years of Vettel would have been fine if Webber wasn't garbage. I don't mind Mercedes being the dominant car by a long shot since the team mates are actually evenly matched. Guess all of the Vettel whiners only have Webber to blame. Ah the irony.

The dropped noses have to go. They are clearly not safer. They fixed one problem and made another far worse.

Edit: Why can't Ferrari make cars anymore? This is a joke.

operon

Brilliant race, Lewis was amazing. Maldonado should be banned from racing at this stage he's going to get someone hurt badly. Ferrari should have a complete clear out, starting for Stefano team is going down the shit hole. And ron has come back as the saviour of McLaren

Oh please, it wasn't because of RB that Seb dominated Mark, Mark was an average driver and Dani's proving that.
If you're so far behind the pace of your team mate, you will be treated like a number 2 driver, after 2010 Seb was in a completely different class to Mark.

I just hope Nico can keep up with Lewis for the rest of the season to make the title race a little exciting.

No.....The team changed focus to favor one driver over the other...you only had to see their pit strategies to realize this...seb always got released into clean traffic and had almost perfect pitstops....mark got the apprentice pit crew and usually ended up being pitted into traffic or into a position which held him behind his teammate....when they did happen to tussle the team ordered them to stop or vettel fucked up

i still believe vettel cant overtake.....and Webber was the shittest starter

Ricardo will hopefully overcome both as he is doing a much better job in the same car as Vettel

Massa

Awesome race. Lewis put in a godlike performance on those hard tyres.

I'm hoping that Ferrari fucking sort their issues out, and their engine issues so that Sauber can become competitive again. LdM's forced Italianisation of Ferrari motor racing has been a complete disaster and the policy needs to be reversed.

wat

That's what you think is wrong with that team, and fixing it is as simple as hiring a few Brits?

Ve1ocity

Web almost did it in 2010. Vet was probably the better overall but his team screwed him and he completely lost any motivation...
I mentioned that. Seb made A LOT of rookie mistakes in 2010 and had a lot of problems, after becoming world champion he changed immensely and was in a complete different lane to Mark.

No.....The team changed focus to favor one driver over the other...you only had to see their pit strategies to realize this...seb always got released into clean traffic and had almost perfect pitstops....mark got the apprentice pit crew and usually ended up being pitted into traffic or into a position which held him behind his teammate....when they did happen to tussle the team ordered them to stop or vettel fucked up

i still believe vettel cant overtake.....and Webber was the shittest starter

Ricardo will hopefully overcome both as he is doing a much better job in the same car as Vettel

What am I reading? RB purposely released Mark into traffic and apprentice pit crew? is that why Marks pit crew broke the fastest pitstop record on numerous occasions? oh lord, hang up that tin foil hat please.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
Really happy Lewis won. When the safety car came out I was ready to accept second. Such an amazing finish from all the drivers. It was a team mate battle this race.
So, basically the last few years of Vettel would have been fine if Webber wasn't garbage. I don't mind Mercedes being the dominant car by a long shot since the team mates are actually evenly matched. Guess all of the Vettel whiners only have Webber to blame. Ah the irony.

The dropped noses have to go. They are clearly not safer. They fixed one problem and made another far worse.

Edit: Why can't Ferrari make cars anymore? This is a joke.

It was the tyre coming together that made him flipped not the nose at least that's what was shown I think on sky sport when they showed the incident.

He must have at least got some points on his licence, right? Man he is such a tosser.

Yea, it was 3 point.

wat

That's what you think is wrong with that team, and fixing it is as simple as hiring a few Brits?
Where did I say hire some Brits? Just that the forced Italianisation of the team's key staff has not worked out.

Rather than choosing from the whole world of motor engineering talent limiting it to one country is always going to be detrimental.

Zeppu

Where did I say hire some Brits? Just that the forced Italianisation of the team's key staff has not worked out.

Rather than choosing from the whole world of motor engineering talent limiting it to one country* is always going to be detrimental.

* Unless that country is the UK.

The impact of Britons on the sport is really impressive, I'll tell you that.

NHale

Not entirely. We don't see people complaining now because they are relieved to see anyone else besides RBR at the front. Now it's the Mercedes honeymoon phase. Next year if this dominance continues, the complaints will start.

Unlike some like to believe, he last couple of years complaints wasn't caused by Vettel/RBR haters. It was exactly the same during the last years of Schumacher/Ferrari dominance. So if the cycle repeats itself and Mercedes is still the dominant force in 2016, the complaints will be exactly the same. I will bet that everyone will even root for Vettel in 2016, well except Shaneus.

Are you serious?

Senior Management at Ferrari features 3 italians (Domenicali, Marmorini, Lanzini), 3 britons (Fry, Byrne and Allison) and 1 greek (Tombazis).

They actually fired their Italian Lead Designer a couple of years ago and replaced him with a Greek. Right now that Italian Lead Designer is the Lead Designer of the current dominant force at F1....

You can point fingers to a lot of things at Ferrari but trying to blame this on same nationalist agenda is silly because it's as much "International" now than it was during the glorious Schummy years. The problems are bigger and deeper than that: struggles to adapt to test restrictions, outdated infraestructure and losing key figures like Todt/Brawn.

Has he ever admitted fault to any accident?

The guy seems genuinely unpleasant to be around based on his conduct in interviews and such.

He has been the same reckless cunt for a while now. He can't leave this sport soon enough.

I would love to see Lewis and Nico stay close and at least one other team match their speed by the time F1 gets back to Europe.

Not entirely. We don't see people complaining now because they are relieved to see anyone else besides RBR at the front. Now it's the Mercedes honeymoon phase. Next year if this dominance continues, the complaints will start.

Unlike some like to believe, he last couple of years complaints wasn't caused by Vettel/RBR haters. It was exactly the same during the last years of Schumacher/Ferrari dominance. So if the cycle repeats itself and Mercedes is still the dominant force in 2016, the complaints will be exactly the same. I will bet that everyone will even root for Vettel in 2016, well except Shaneus.

I guess it is natural for people to be ok with dominance when it is their guy or team. The first season a team stops being dominant is fun but a close season no matter what the result, is always better imo.

I like Hamilton a lot better since he left McLaren, but jesus christ do the English/British commentators really go into mega Lewis fellatio mode when ever he is doing well. I watched the Spanish language broadcast this weekend and it was much better. I don't speak a word of Spanish.

* Unless that country is the UK.

The impact of Britons on the sport is really impressive, I'll tell you that.
Nope. The British heavy McLaren did fuck all in terms of WDC and WCC titles. The best teams all have a mix of different nations in their staff. That's not to downplay Britain's contribution to F1 which is immense, but there is a lot of talent outside of Britain and ignoring those people would be detrimental also just as McLaren found out when Whitmarsh tried to make his British team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom