• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgreez

I didn't realize that crash happened right after Maldonado pitted. Makes him being that aggressive seem even more dumb since he was on tires that weren't even warmed up at that point.

I'm not too sure about the "weren't even warmed up part". If the heat cam, which I haven't really seen used much if at all this season, images from last year were anything to go by then the tyres are still quite warm by the time driver exits the pits. It's one of the main reasons why the "under-cut" works. There's just really no logical reason behind Maldonado's brain-fades

3ExVSgt.jpg

Mushrooms?

Nicktendo86

He's asking where they went. They aren't on that car.

They are either doing back to back testing or have ditched it completely. Some have said it is an aero dead end and adds weight/drag, add that to the fact no other team seem to have tried implementing something similar says to me that it was a waste of time.

Yeah, pretty much the only way I can see it being avoided is having something like that. I like that idea a lot. There might still be a slight advantage for a lighter driver, but it would vastly reduce it over what they have now.

Welcome to the tribe, and don't worry about not knowing much. Plenty of us don't know much and post a lot ;)

Had to download the race this week, missed it live, and I did just that. Was kind of amusing. Also, no ads on the coverage was simply fantastic. Fuck 10.

Yeah you can never fully compensate for the different weights, but I think it would improve the situation.

Channel 10 does show a replay the next night on OneHD, it's not full HD rather low bitrate upscale, but it's a vast improvement on 10's blurry mess. Doesn't fix the Rust problem though!

Shaneus

Had to download the race this week, missed it live, and I did just that. Was kind of amusing. Also, no ads on the coverage was simply fantastic. Fuck 10.
Yup. But I completely missed it anyway, can't even remember what time it was broadcast :/

Still don't see how hard it is for FIA/FOM or whoever to offer a global paid option. If WEC can do it for free for all their races, how hard is it for the F1 to get similar treatment? Just charge enough to cover the ad revenue losses for when people inevitably switch off their ad-ridden FTA broadcasts and everyone wins.

LeBoef

Yup. But I completely missed it anyway, can't even remember what time it was broadcast :/

Still don't see how hard it is for FIA/FOM or whoever to offer a global paid option. If WEC can do it for free for all their races, how hard is it for the F1 to get similar treatment? Just charge enough to cover the ad revenue losses for when people inevitably switch off their ad-ridden FTA broadcasts and everyone wins.

wrc doesnt get much money from tv broadcasters. its a way to advertise the series.

no way this is happening in f1 as long as they got contracts with free- and pay tv channels. those guys are paying for their exclusive rights in their country. ... a lot.

"Although we did all we could, we can't be happy with our level of performance and now our sole focus must be on working day and night," he said.

"The season is in its early stages and I think we can stage a recovery. We have the resources and the potential to do it and it's all down to us."

The Spaniard, though, did concede to Autosport that it won't be easy chasing down Mercedes although insists it's not impossible either.

"Mercedes has been fantastic," he said. "They are doing a better job than anyone else and Nico and Lewis are driving fantastic, doing zero mistakes.

"We have had some difficult conditions with rain in qualifying, but they are doing zero mistakes, fighting but clean.

"At the moment it's not possible to catch them in this first part of the championship, but we saw Brawn GP dominate in the first part of the Championship and they struggled a bit at the end of the year."

Oh Alonso, always so motivating and keeping people's hope up, left and right.

TylerD

Will Buxton had a brief interview with LdM when he was leaving and it went something like this:

Will: What can you do to close the gap?

LdM: Well, we have to work very hard and long hours at the factory and I am confident all the engineers in working with our suppliers and our strong relationships with them will be able to bring about the results we are looking for.

Sad state of affairs for the prancing pony in F1.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Anyone comparing Merc's development to Brawn's is in for a nasty surprise.
True. And looks like Mercedes is having solid plan for upgrades this year.

Something went wrong with Ferrari PU design. I wonder what. Monisha from Sauber blasted Ferrari PU for their problems.

Or were they too proud to ask some FIAT engineers for some advice, like Mercedes did with their roadcar engine department?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Bahrain mid-season test day 1

1 Rosberg Mercedes 1m35.697s 121 laps
2 Hulkenberg Force India 1m36.064s 69 laps
3 Alonso Ferrari 1m36.626s 68 laps
4 Magnussen McLaren 1m36.634s 102 laps
5 Bottas Williams 1m37.305s 28 laps
6 Chilton Marussia 1m37.678s 60 laps
7 Ricciardo Red Bull 1m38.326s 91 laps
8 Sirotkin Sauber 1m39.023s 76 laps
9 Frijns Caterham 1m40.027s 62 laps
10 Maldonado Lotus 1m40.183s 16 laps
11 Kvyat Toro Rosso 1m40.452s 67 laps

DBT85

121 laps seems excessive given the car's performance on Sunday.

New engine revision apparently. Same for Renault and Ferrari.

And Merc always do lots of laps.

Don't forget, the engines used for testing aren't from the allowance for the season.

Chris R

Will Buxton had a brief interview with LdM when he was leaving and it went something like this:

Will: What can you do to close the gap?

LdM: Well, we have to work very hard and long hours at the factory and I am confident all the engineers in working with our suppliers and our strong relationships with them will be able to bring about the results we are looking for.

Sad state of affairs for the prancing pony in F1.

You didn't include the opening bit asking if he had an early flight to catch :(

Shaneus

Anyone else thinking Kvyat will come ahead of Vergne this year? Only three races in but he's showing promise.
Even after the first I was thinking that. Vergne seems to be comparable to the last STR power duo of The Sebs in being good but not good enough. I'd even doubt his seat'd be secure for next season if he maintains his good-but-not-great performances.

Jibbed

Even after the first I was thinking that. Vergne seems to be comparable to the last STR power duo of The Sebs in being good but not good enough. I'd even doubt his seat'd be secure for next season if he maintains his good-but-not-great performances.

It wouldn't be surprising if JEV is replaced before the season is done to usher through another RBR rookie. Need all the track-time they can get these days.

Risgroo

Anyone else thinking Kvyat will come ahead of Vergne this year? Only three races in but he's showing promise.

Yeah, he's impressed me ever since his first practice session last year. Btw, how many Toro Rosso drivers have gotten a seat in another team? I can only think of Vettel, Ricciardo and Liuzzi. Pretty ruthless programme.

Hammer24

Banned
Lets talk about Jean Todt for a minute here, guys.
When he got his new job, I was one of many who thought he´d just be a puppet, bringing even more of Ferrari International Assistance and all this yadda yadda.
I must admit, I was wrong. I think from what we´ve seen thus far he´s doing a fine and balanced job. Standing up against the likes of LdM and Bernie is something I didn´t expect of him. The more so he should be applauded for it.

When he got his new job, I was one of many who thought he´d just be a puppet, bringing even more of Ferrari International Assistance and all this yadda yadda.
I must admit, I was wrong. I think from what we´ve seen thus far he´s doing a fine and balanced job. Standing up against the likes of LdM and Bernie is something I didn´t expect of him. The more so he should be applauded for it.

Just because he's French it doesn't mean he'll capitulate that easily! And I'm sure he didn't part with LdM on the best terms.

Ark

I'm really, really, really impressed with Todt. I hope he sticks around as FIA president for a long time.

Dilly

Banned
I still laugh when I remember Ted Kravitz losing his shit after that radiomessage during the safety car.

Can't remember him being such a petulant child when he was at the BBC.

I still laugh when I remember Ted Kravitz losing his shit after that radiomessage during the safety car.

Can't remember him being such a petulant child when he was at the BBC.

But how could they do that to him? After all that happened at Bahrain last year? How could they do that to him?!

NHale

I wasn´t really sure of that, but it more and more looks to be the case.

Wasn't Todt "fired" because he signed the new title sponsorship deal with Philip Morris while LdM was negotiating a deal with a non-tobacco company aka Santander?

The same way Todt wanted Massa or Rossi alongside Schumacher and not Kimi?

Hammer24

Banned
Wasn't Todt "fired" because he signed the new title sponsorship deal with Philip Morris while LdM was negotiating a deal with a non-tobacco company aka Santander?

The same way Todt wanted Massa or Rossi alongside Schumacher and not Kimi?

I´m rather sure, Todt never had the power to sign anything without LdM´s consent.
And MSC wanted a teammate of the MAS and not RAI ilk, and back in the days MSC got what he wanted, and from LdM too.
So that can´t be it (if its only that).

ramparter

Banned
I´m rather sure, Todt never had the power to sign anything without LdM´s consent.
And MSC wanted a teammate of the MAS and not RAI ilk, and back in the days MSC got what he wanted, and from LdM too.
So that can´t be it (if its only that).
In the end he did sign Kimi for 2007 not in place of Schumi necessarily but that's what made MSC to retire, he knew he wasn't going to be a clear no1 anymore. There was a huge writing posted here about how LdM wanted to outpower Todt and Schumacher in Ferrari. Too bad for him, if Jean Todt was still in the team I'm sure things wouldnt be half as bad are right now.

edit
I din't like Todt and his dirty tactics and his "Schumacher is the clear number one, dont care if the other driver comes last" approach. But he knew how to have a winning team.

Hamilton is saying someone at Mercedes gave Rosberg a huge dossier that intimately explored how Lewis achieved the pace he did in Malaysia. I imagine with the ERS systems and fuel savings, a simple comparison of driver telemetry isnt all that helpful if you want to study a driver's pace over a complete race stint.

(Lewis is demanding the same kind of dossier on Nico's drive from Sunday , as he was the quicker of the two, despite coming in second)

Hamilton is saying someone at Mercedes gave Rosberg a huge dossier that intimately explored how Lewis achieved the pace he did in Malaysia. (Lewis is demanding the same kind of dossier on Nico's drive from Sunday , as he was the quicker of the two, despite coming in second)
Now his comments about "this side of the garage" straight after the GP make much more sense.

DBT85

Hamilton is saying someone at Mercedes gave Rosberg a huge dossier that intimately explored how Lewis achieved the pace he did in Malaysia. I imagine with the ERS systems and fuel savings, a simple comparison of driver telemetry isnt all that helpful if you want to study a driver's pace over a complete race stint.

(Lewis is demanding the same kind of dossier on Nico's drive from Sunday , as he was the quicker of the two, despite coming in second)

Your last sentence makes it sound like there is outrage or something nefarious going on.

When Lewis joined the team he made it clear he wanted complete parity and openness between both sides of the garage. They gave Nico all of Lewis' data after Malaysia and I'm sure they'll give Lewis the same for this race. During the race both sides of the garage knew what the other was doing which is why Lewis was able to mirror the engine modes of Nico. Look at the transcript from f1fanatic. He knew when Nico was pushing and when he wasn't because everything is shared.

It's not a question of demanding anything.

We're doing everything we can #254

This season has once again seen Ferrari’s charge falter before it even began with the team even falling foul of Force India and Williams at Sunday’s Bahrain GP.

Such was his disillusionment with Ferrari’s performance that President di Montezemolo reportedly left the circuit early.

“I don’t like seeing Ferrari in this condition,” he said on his way out. “To see a Ferrari this slow on the straights is very painful.”

However, prior to that, the Italian had spent time with Alonso to bolster the driver’s confidence in the team and speak about the way forward.

“He came on Sunday morning and we worked together in my room for 10 minutes,” he revealed to ESPNF1.

“We tried to put together everything we found in the first two races and what will be the next steps coming from the performance side and the car, with maximum pushing and maximum dedication from everyone in the team.

“He just wanted to pass me this message that Ferrari is doing 100 per cent, and on our side as well - the drivers, engineers, mechanics and everyone trackside - will work day and night because no-one is happy.

“We are very united in the team and the president can be 100 per cent sure that we will do 24 hours from Tuesday and Wednesday when we do the test.

“We won’t rest until the situation changes.”

There is some good news for Ferrari fans in that Alonso reckons the team’s struggles in Bahrain were down to the nature of the track and not a drop in performance.

“It’s no good obviously, we would like to have extra speed and be able to battle with everyone. At the moment we are missing that aspect but we have some strong points and some of the circuits will show those qualities.

“If at the next grand prix or two grand prix we are quicker than Hulkenberg and Williams etcetera, we can say to them that they are missing some of the speed that Ferrari has in the corners.

“It depends circuit to circuit, but we need to improve in all areas - on the chassis side, on aerodynamic efficiency, power - there are many things and we need to deliver some good results in the next grands prix.”

Read more at http://planetsport.com/motorsport/n..._not_rest_837038/14-04-09#PKrjyGykd77AZzrK.99

I can't be bothered to do another search of statements, but I definitely had a déjà vu reading that crap.

Zeppu

I have a friend who's only conclusion after watching Sunday's race is that Hamilton, while good, isn't a great driver. I'm still trying to figure out how he reached that conclusion after that race.

I have a friend who's only conclusion after watching Sunday's race is that Hamilton, while good, isn't a great driver. I'm still trying to figure out how he reached that conclusion after that race.

I really don't like Hamilton, but your friend is out of his fucking mind.

Zeppu

I really don't like Hamilton, but your friend is out of his fucking mind.

Yep. Crazy. And I'm not even disputing his claim per se, just that after a spectacular race and a perfect drive by Hamilton I just cannot fathom how he came to that conclusion.

Observation > ?????? > Conclusion

Yep. Crazy. And I'm not even disputing his claim per se, just that after a spectacular race and a perfect drive by Hamilton I just cannot fathom how he came to that conclusion.

Observation > ?????? > Conclusion

It's simple, as soon as good drivers happen to also have amazing cars, they all of a sudden become "shit" drivers. There have been genuine champions who were shit drivers throughout F1 history, Damon Hill anyone? But Lewis, Alonso, Kimi and yes even Vettel are all phenomenal drivers imo. Button, while not of the raw speed talent was always soft on the tires while still maintaining fast lap times. Post F1 career endurance racer? I look forward to the next first time F1 champion.

You're being unfair to Hill. He looked clumsy in comparison to Schumacher and Hakkinen and he probably lacked the raw driving talent of Berger and Alesi, but he was capable of great drives. See Spa 98.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom