• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Mastah

McLaren ‏@McLarenF1 5m5 minutes ago

We can confirm that @svandoorne will also drive both days in next week's Abu Dhabi test. #GoStoff #F1

Now I guess it all make sense with delaying the announcement. They want to see what Vandoorne can do in F1 car, on a track right after GP was held, and with that data they will make final decision. If it's either Button or Vandoorne I'll be pleased.

Fox Mulder

Yet people give him so much shit. He's clearly shown he can go head-to-head vs Hamilton this season.

except in the race when it matters. I think pole is pointless really given how OP the merc is this season. All the 1/2 start haven't blessed us with many races between the two either. It's always some fault with either car or Nico choking under pressure.

I like Nico, but I somehow hope that he does not win the championship tomorrow, at least not due to double points. Many people would not acknowledge such a title, and not entirely without justification.

with is unfortunate for Nico, since he has no control over the rules of the game.

DBT85

Whats wrong with you.

Lol nothing. But "he deserves it because he's been at Merc longer" is exactly the kind of thing I expect from my mum. Bless him he's not won one, let everyone have a go, he tried his best.

I don't necessarily agree with him, but how is what he said any different than all the ball-licking of Lewis that goes on in here?

The Lewis ball linking that says he deserves the title for winning more races, beating his teammate in any head to head and being generally faster on race day?

Mastah

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 20m20 minutes ago

The charge is that the wings were 'designed to flex', something that the FIA will take very seriously. Story might not end tonight

Red Bull slags off current power units and proposes introducing new engines in 2016 and suddenly during last GP weekend, after qualifying FIA stewards find out their car is possibly illegal. What a funny coincidence it is.

malyce

Nico - 11 poles - 5 wins - 4(5)* losses from pole - 2 DNFs(1 from the lead)
Lewis - 7 poles - 10 wins - 0 losses from pole - 3 DNFs(3 from the lead)

*Canada mechanical issues.

Yeah.. Answer to what again?

Juicy Bob

Red Bull can't lose second in the Constructors' Championship and they probably aren't going to win this weekend.

You could say they've got nothing to lose by flirting with the technical regulations and seeing how close to the line they can push, because if they do get caught and disqualified, so what?

Zeknurn

Red Bull can't lose second in the Constructors' Championship and they probably aren't going to win this weekend.

You could say they've got nothing to lose by flirting with the technical regulations and seeing how close to the line they can push, because if they do get caught and disqualified, so what?

This is my theory as well.

@charlie_whiting: Jonathan Wheatley has brought the Stewards several letters of support for the RBR front wing’s stiffness.Including one from HRH Prince Harry

And it didn't work

@tgruener: #F1 Both Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying. But they will be allowed to start from the back of the grid and not from pitlane.

The only thing Rosberg deserves is a reminder that in sports talent is still more important than who your dad is. :)
Did Nico ever pull the "do you know who my dad is?!" card in public or at least on the grid? It always seemed to me like he wants to avoid that connection as much as possible.

Zeknurn

C0gvqqw.jpg

I wonder who's behind the test.

RoKKeR

Just caught up with Quali. Interesting session but nothing all that surprising.

Williams could be a huge, huge factor in the race tomorrow. Hell one of them might be able to win it. Looking forward to it!

kharma45

Did Nico ever pull the "do you know who my dad is?!" card in public or at least on the grid? It always seemed to me like he wants to avoid that connection as much as possible.

No he hasn't, not to my knowledge. Don't know what exactly the point of that post is. Nico has shown plenty of talent albeit he's just not quite as fast all round as Lewis.

Addnan

Williams could be a huge, huge factor in the race tomorrow. Hell one of them might be able to win it. Looking forward to it!

Have you watched a single race this season lol.

The Lewis ball linking that says he deserves the title for winning more races, beating his teammate in any head to head and being generally faster on race day?

No, for judging anything that happens in the most positive way possible for Lewis while doing the exact opposite for Nico (or quite frankly anybody else besides Ricciardo). All while claiming absolute impartiality and fairness.

BTW, I am not speaking specifically about you, but about the groupthink mentality in here.

duckroll

Lol, no I don't think he ever does that, and it's not fair of me to make fun of him like that! He's a good driver in his own right, but it's mostly the press playing up the "crown prince of F1" card.

Having said that, no driver really "deserves" to win any championship other than the winner. There's a whole season to fight for, and the one who fought the hardest in the end generally ends up with the win. Even if we take double points into account, it's artificial but it's something all the drivers knew going into the championship this year. If Hamilton had done better throughout the season, he could have won the championship in Brazil. He didn't, so now Rosberg has a chance. If Rosberg had been more consistent throughout the season, Hamilton wouldn't have been able to catch up and overtake the lead either.

So in the end, whoever wins the championship tomorrow, I think deserves it. Neither of them deserve it now, because the final race isn't over. There shouldn't be any sour grapes.

Lol, no I don't think he ever does that, and it's not fair of me to make fun of him like that! He's a good driver in his own right, but it's mostly the press playing up the "crown prince of F1" card.

Having said that, no driver really "deserves" to win any championship other than the winner. There's a whole season to fight for, and the one who fought the hardest in the end generally ends up with the win. Even if we take double points into account, it's artificial but it's something all the drivers knew going into the championship this year. If Hamilton had done better throughout the season, he could have won the championship in Brazil. He didn't, so now Rosberg has a chance. If Rosberg had been more consistent throughout the season, Hamilton wouldn't have been able to catch up and overtake the lead either.

So in the end, whoever wins the championship tomorrow, I think deserves it. Neither of them deserve it now, because the final race isn't over. There shouldn't be any sour grapes.

But Lewis suffered far more technical gremlins than Rosberg and had better race pace than him throughout the season, which you don't seem to take into account in your post. You can't get outraced 9-3 (when both drivers finished), never overtake your teammate on track and deserve a WDC.

Lewis should have technically wrapped up the title in Brazil, even taking into accounts double points, if all had gone well this season. Alas, it didn't.

Mike Gascoyne @MikeGascoyne
Wonder if Christian Halliwell will visit the back of the grid,Will remind him of his first few years in red bull #whotgoearoundcomearound

Dayum! Shots fired.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'do be disappointed if rosberg won, but mainly my disappointment would be aimed at the structure of the points that would allow you to win 10 races in a season and still lose the championship. I know nico has had more reliability and more 2nd place finishes to keep his points up, but that shouldn't be winning you a championship IMO.

But F1 is not always fair, so fingers crossed for tomorrow. I'm actually not sure if I can watch it live, I'd constantly be worried about Hamilton breaking down or something.

duckroll

But Lewis suffered far more technical gremlins than Rosberg and had better race pace than him throughout the season, which you don't seem to take into account in your post. You can't get outraced 9-3 (when both drivers finished), never overtake your teammate on track and deserve a WDC.

You can't hand wave technical problems like it has nothing to do with a world championship though. This isn't an individual sport. Drivers don't get into a random stock car and win through his ability alone. Is Hamilton a better driver than Rosberg? Absolutely. That doesn't mean he deserves the world championship. Nothing is handed to you just because you're good. You need the car, the engineering support, a bit of luck here and there, etc.

You can absolutely get outraced in every straight fight, never overtake anyone on track, and still deserve to win a WDC. You do that by winning the WDC. Anyone who disses a win by finding excuses is disrespectful for the sporting spirit and being a sore loser.

Juicy Bob

You've got to remember that this is not a normal season.

It's a freak occurrence that Rosberg is still as close as his is and that is entirely down to Mercedes' dominance this year.

In a typical season, you have far more competition and a mix of different race winners and so the current points system is good for rewarding the best over the entire season.

Yagami_Sama

Vandoorne is doing a great job. Thanks to race today he will end the championship in 2nd. He was so unlucky in the second and third races, otherwise he had
a chance to be this season champion. But I am not sure if he should switch to F1 next season. Alonso and Button would be a great team.

Zeknurn

Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso dare the world's fastest rollercoaster-Formula Rossa

@adamcooperF1:
Re the RBR wing flaps, I'm told the FIA discovered a leaf spring arrangement encased in a rubber shroud
RBR will be allowed to start from grid if they fit a wing of similar mass, function and intertia. HAM brake disc in Hock is precedent
If the FIA does not agree that's the case then it will be a pitlane start for a change of spec
Some rival teams already wound up about that. How can a switch from an illegal to legal item be deemed 'simliar'?
In any case RBR could yet voluntarily start one or both cars from the pitlane - take off wing, overtaking with straightline speed, etc
BTW FIA apparently checked four teams for wing deflection yesterday, so RBR not "singled out" as team claims...

Hasney

It's a freak occurrence that Rosberg is still as close as his is and that is entirely down to Mercedes' dominance this year.

In a typical season, you have far more competition and a mix of different race winners and so the current points system is good for rewarding the best over the entire season.

Oh bullshit is it a freak occurrence. He may not be as much of a total package that Lewis is, but yes, with other race winners, he'd still be as close as Lewis wouldn't have won as many either. In fact, with less 25 pointers for each, he might be closer and someone else in with a shout.

You can't hand wave technical problems like it has nothing to do with a world championship though. This isn't an individual sport. Drivers don't get into a random stock car and win through his ability alone. Is Hamilton a better driver than Rosberg? Absolutely. That doesn't mean he deserves the world championship. Nothing is handed to you just because you're good. You need the car, the engineering support, a bit of luck here and there, etc.

You can absolutely get outraced in every straight fight, never overtake anyone on track, and still deserve to win a WDC. You do that by winning the WDC. Anyone who disses a win by finding excuses is disrespectful for the sporting spirit and being a sore loser.

Most of your post is common sense, but that doesn't mean it's right in the context of the 2014 championship. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who can say with a straight face that Nico has done a better job than Lewis given the equipment at his disposal (and hence deserving of the title more than Lewis). That's what I meant by "deserving".

Comparing Nico and Lewis in isolation, Lewis has done plenty to deserve winning the title. The only reason the points gap is not 67 instead of 17 is mostly due to reliability (Australia, Canada, Germany, Hungary) and his teammate hitting him at Spa. Otherwise, the title would have been wrapped up by now.

You could argue that Nico's technical team has done a better job given Lewis's has cost him 2 DNFs (quali in Hungary and race in Australia due to bad car assembly/not fixing a leak). Does that mean that Nico deserves it more by virtue of his team doing a better job, no. Nico's way of deserving the title is on the track. He's done plenty of good on Saturdays but usually ends destroying that goodwill on Sundays.

duckroll

Alonso has done a better job than anyone else on the track with the piece of shit Ferrari has given him for the past few seasons. Maybe we should just hand him the WDC as a token of his effort and skill. :p

That's not how F1 works.

Here's the thing, if Rosberg DOES win the championship, which he has not yet, it will be either because a) Hamilton makes a mistake, b) Hamilton gets yet ANOTHER technical problem and Rosberg doesn't. Those are the possibilities here. It's even possible for Rosberg to win without double points being considered. So for them to be that close, it is silly to say that if Rosberg wins, he doesn't deserve it. He might not be a better racer than Hamilton on the race track, but that's not the only way to win a F1 championship. That's the way the sport is designed, and no driver can win purely on their effort alone without a reliable car and a capable car to maximize their ability.

I don't even like Rosberg. I think he has a smug face, and he comes off as feeling entitled. His response to the collision with Hamilton was also sleazy as fuck. I don't want him to win, but if he does win, well, Hamilton had several chances to wrap it up earlier but he didn't. He has no one to blame but the circumstances.

RayStorm

Not really, looking back through the years, 1996, 2002, 2004 were similar with the only difference being that in relative terms, Rubens was much slower than Michael compared to Nico and Lewis. In fact in 2011 and 2013 if Webber was a better fit for the car those years would be similar as well. One dominant car. The difference being, that Lewis and Nico are much more similar in terms of speed than those other pairings (aside from Villeneuve and Hill) ever were.

Alonso has done a better job than anyone else on the track with the piece of shit Ferrari has given him for the past few seasons. Maybe we should just hand him the WDC as a token of his effort and skill. :p

That's not how F1 works.

Who says that Alonso has done a better job than anyone else, though? [that's a different discussion]

In 2014, there are 2 contenders. Out of the two, Lewis has shown the goods more often and consistently than Nico. That's why he deserves it more.

Like in 2012, Lewis and Alonso deserved it more than Vettel.

Not really, looking back through the years, 1996, 2002, 2004 were similar with the only difference being that in relative terms, Rubens was much slower than Michael compared to Nico and Lewis. In fact in 2011 and 2013 if Webber was a better fit for the car those years would be similar as well. One dominant car. The difference being, that Lewis and Nico are much more similar in terms of speed than those other pairings (aside from Villeneuve and Hill) ever were.

Webber was just as fast as Vettel in 2010-12 when the EBD was not as influential.

duckroll

Don't agree at all. All this talk about people who didn't win deserving it more marginalizes actual victories. I don't like that sort of attitude. Unless someone cheated or broke the rules, a victory is a victory.

Don't agree at all. All this talk about people who didn't win deserving it more marginalizes actual victories. I don't like that sort of attitude. Unless someone cheated or broke the rules, a victory is a victory.

Well, Alonso had inferior machinery and couldn't actually compete for the win unless it was wet.

And Lewis's team was hellbent in making him leave McLaren with all these failed pitstops and awful reliability.

Vettel did very well, but 2012 would have been a much different story had the two drivers above had circumstances similar to Vettel's.

Juicy Bob

Oh bullshit is it a freak occurrence. He may not be as much of a total package that Lewis is, but yes, with other race winners, he'd still be as close as Lewis wouldn't have won as many either. In fact, with less 25 pointers for each, he might be closer and someone else in with a shout.
It is. Mercedes have smashed the record for most one-twos by a single team in a season this year. Hamilton has won ten races this year and in eight of those races, Rosberg was second. The only two times Rosberg wasn't second, he retired.

Nothing like that has ever happened in F1 before. Especially not in the modern era. When Schumacher was dominating in the early 2000s, Barrichello would often be beaten into second and Ferrai didn't have anywhere near the same hit rate for one-twos as Mercedes have this year. Same with Vettel and Webber too.

Because no one's been able to beat the Mercs on pure pace, Rosberg has been able to settle for 18 points every single time Hamilton's beaten him to the flag in a race this season – meaning Hamilton's only been eke out seven points each time. When we're talking about the two Mercs averaging 18 points a race, a seven point gain isn't that much when a DNF will likely mean you drop 25 points to your rival.

Usually, you have other teams and drivers taking points away from the title contenders throughout the season, but this year, it's been almost all Mercedes.

Hasney

Right, but what I'm saying is that with more competitive teams, Hamilton would have not got as many wins and Rosberg probably would have dropped a couple too. With the points being much closer than between 1st and 2nd, I think he would be closer right than he is right now.

I really think it's selling Rosberg short if you don't think he would be up there with more competition as well.

Right, but what I'm saying is that with more competitive teams, Hamilton would have not got as many wins and Rosberg probably would have dropped a couple too. With the points being much closer than between 1st and 2nd, I think he would be closer right than he is right now.

I really think it's selling Rosberg short if you don't think he would be up there with more competition as well.

Given how much better Hamilton is in wheel-to-wheel action and traffic, it actually would make it harder on Rosberg. Anyway, let's see next season...

Juicy Bob

Rosberg's biggest problem all season is that he has had Lewis Hamilton as his team mate.

Hamilton is driving as well as he ever has. Yes, he's been better than Rosberg this season, but how many drivers in the world would have been able to beat Lewis Hamilton over 19 grands prix this year?

There's only one person I can think of who might...

yami4ct

It's a beautiful, beautiful dream and one I would be ecstatic to see come true, but unless the mercs take each other out, there isn't any chance for this to happen.

Yikes Vijay is pissed :

- A big F1 team that says we small outfits should not come with bananas to a gun fight, grabs maximum money and cheats on the regulations

- Arrogance and a superiority complex on the part of those who are paid to be in F1 should not dilute or colour those who pay to be in F1

- Have holders of purse strings and decision makers in F1 become slaves to the whims of the big boys and the contracts ? What about F1 sport ?

FYI, he's talking about Red Bull.

Fisico

Apparently Vergne more or less confirmed that he's apparently out saying that
"No matter how many points I score it wouldn't change a thing. Points at Red Bull are not what matters apparently"

:(

Nicktendo86

Man Utd beat Arsenal AND RBR FINALLY proved to be cheating with springs in their front wings, all in the same day? WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

This is very serious. They have BLATANTLY cheated and you have to wonder who tipped the FIA off, as someone must have done for them to find this. Must be either Vettel or PP.

frontieruk

Man Utd beat Arsenal AND RBR FINALLY proved to be cheating with springs in their front wings, all in the same day? WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

This is very serious. They have BLATANTLY cheated and you have to wonder who tipped the FIA off, as someone must have done for them to find this. Must be either Vettel or PP.

Why would Vettel ruin his last race?

Top Bottom