• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Sad thing is that they unless they change the rear wings (and start from the pits), they're unlikely to be able to make their way through the field.

cmr-94

XwdudCO.png

Finbar!!

Kyougar

Given how much better Hamilton is in wheel-to-wheel action and traffic, it actually would make it harder on Rosberg. Anyway, let's see next season...

But Lewis wouldnt had such an easy time driving from the backmarkers to 2nd place again.
there was only 1 other Driver that Lewis had to fear and who he had to play mindtricks on (and vice versa) or who he had to look out for. Every other driver wasnt even considered as a threat, so it was probably dont even considered in a strategy meeting or something. you could completely ignore every other driver and only look at your teammate.

Consider this scenario in 2010, where you had so many contenders, all played their own mindtricks and you had to plan your strategy with several drivers in mind. Alonso team locked onto Webber, their greatest Mistake ever.

The more contenders there are, the more mistakes in regards to Strategy you can make. You can plan your strategy on the wrong horse and lose your WCC to a guy you only considered as an afterthought.

But there are no other contenders than Nico. And if Nico doesnt deserve it because he didnt defeated Lewis on the Battlefield, then Lewis wouldnt deserve it because he had a rocketship and won with no Skill involved, other than the skill to beat his teammate.

mechanical failures and strategic fuckups are a part of Formula 1. If you had been more reliable than the guy who had less wins than you, than thats that.

And crying "unfair" if the guy with less wins takes the WCC is inmature. The world isnt fair. (@ DBT85 and his Mom joke)

John_B

Holy shit, they actually inspected the Red Bull wing and exposed the magic? McLaren and Ferrari were deeply puzzled back some four years ago.

I hate to sound bitter, but in the previous four seasons it felt like the brain power at Red Bull was molesting the rule books.

Hasney

Holy shit, they actually inspected the Red Bull wing and exposed the magic? McLaren and Ferrari were deeply puzzled back some four years ago.

I hate to sound bitter, but in the previous four seasons it felt like the brain power at Red Bull was molesting the rule books.

It's a different front wing. They had a LOT of load tests back when they were winning shit.

Nicktendo86

It's a different front wing. They had a LOT of load tests back when they were winning shit.
I don't think so. Scarbs thinks it is the entire wing that rotates, suggesting the movement and in fact the springs are in the pillars that connect to the wing. The deflection tests are on flex on the wing, not the pillars.

I remember seeing a video of extreme red bull flex a while ago in which the whole wing seemed to rotate, scarbs' hypothesis makes sense. I think they have been found out on something they have been using for a while which would suggest a tip off to the fia.

If they were using something experimental why would they not just run it in fp1, 2 & 3 when they can run/test anything they like? Why risk running it in qualifying when the car can be checked for legality?

Edit: also people have looked at the picutes and there seems to be nothing different with the illegal wing to the ones they have used previously. It is not new.

Kyougar

but why expose it now? Red bull has no stakes in this race. Wouldnt it be strategically better to expose such thing in the next season? After they (RBR) spent some more R&D into it and would be set back in the start of next season?
(If this was maliciously leaked from an insider in RBR or another F1 Team, If the FIA found it on its own, its another matter)

Nicktendo86

but why expose it now? Red bull has no stakes in this race. Wouldnt it be strategically better to expose such thing in the next season? After they (RBR) spent some more R&D into it and would be set back in the start of next season?
(If this was maliciously leaked from an insider in RBR or another F1 Team, If the FIA found it on its own, its another matter)
It HAS to have been leaked by someone who recently left red bull or is about to. There is no other explanation. How would the FIA know to check the construction of the wing? The tests do no mandate that.

Nicktendo86

Did Prodromou have any bad blood with RBR?
Well they stopped his mate Dan Fallows from leaving as well but otherwise I don't think so. Surely he would have loved to keep the secret to use at McLaren as well?

Edit: but the way, they didn't fail the deflection test, they failed the moveable aerodynamic device rule.

Ark

Well they stopped his mate Dan Fallows from leaving as well but otherwise I don't think so. Surely he would have loved to keep the secret to use at McLaren as well?

Surely if that was the case and McLaren started beating RBR, they'd just expose Prodomou's wing? Only way to make sure either side doesn't backstab the other during a championship is to leak it when it makes no difference.

THE:MILKMAN

Surely if that was the case and McLaren started beating RBR, they'd just expose Prodomou's wing? Only way to make sure either side doesn't backstab the other during a championship is to leak it when it makes no difference.

For full conspiracy... maybe having moved on to next years car and concepts, Red Bull "exposed" this themselves so Prodromou definitely can't "borrow" the idea.

Like the new wing run by McLaren this weekend.

Ark

For full conspiracy... maybe having moved on to next years car and concepts, Red Bull "exposed" this themselves so Prodromou definitely can't "borrow" the idea.

Like the new wing run by McLaren this weekend.

I'm not one for conspiracies, but honestly, is this too far out there? I don't know, seems a bit far fetched but has just enough to seem possible.

I'm going with not though.

kiyomi

It HAS to have been leaked by someone who recently left red bull or is about to. There is no other explanation. How would the FIA know to check the construction of the wing? The tests do no mandate that.

The FIA can check whatever they want, whenever they want.

DBT85

I only just heard about red bull deliberately circumventing the rules cheating.

Amazing that NOW they are caught with flexing wings.

I wonder if anything will actually happen.

Vijay has good reason to be pissed.

But the tests they administer are standard, Horner's excuse is always that they pass the tests the FIA have.

The FIA can also change any test whenever they like.

It occurs to me though... if this was the front wing they've been bringing for ages, would they even have a legal one to replace it with? Not like they can really get one there overnight from Milton Keynes.

Septimius

Listening to the Sky pre-quali Button interview. Already three weeks ago, I noticed in his interviews how Button isn't going to be in F1. It's clear as day that he's saying that he's done with F1. He's smart, and he's conveying it between the lines in a nice manner. Sad to see him go.

The only thing Rosberg deserves is a reminder that in sports talent is still more important than who your dad is. :)
Woah. Have to say, Ive hated my fair share on Nico this year but if he wins the championship, double points or no,I dont approve of him being lambasted for it. He didnt choose that lunacy, he only put himself in a position to capitalize on it. I dont particularly like the way some of his fans play on racial stereotypes when they sing his praises, but he is a legit fast driver with some balls.
If he wins the title, I wont begrudge him his euphoria or joy.

stryke

Oh well, at least Ric is guaranteed 3rd place in the drivers championship. Really wanted to see a good last race from him to finish off the year.

Don't agree at all. All this talk about people who didn't win deserving it more marginalizes actual victories. I don't like that sort of attitude. Unless someone cheated or broke the rules, a victory is a victory.

True, but there's more than a way to read that.

I'd say Rosberg was dodgy in Monaco and Spa. But some would say they were just racing incidents

That being said. I'd only subscribe to the Hamilton "deserved" it more camp if Rosberg wins it because of the double points. Playing it dirty is not against the rules of you can get away with it

Blablurn

I don't really like Rosberg. But Hamilton is a cunt. And since I'm German I hope the cunts ends up third.

I doubt it though. Hamilton got this :/

No, for judging anything that happens in the most positive way possible for Lewis while doing the exact opposite for Nico (or quite frankly anybody else besides Ricciardo). All while claiming absolute impartiality and fairness.

BTW, I am not speaking specifically about you, but about the groupthink mentality in here.

You have to admit, that stunt in the Monaco qualifying session was extremely dodgy. Spa, we can chalk up to a racing incident. Not like Lewis didnt spend all of 2011 on a collision course with Massa. But Monaco this year. That was shady stuff.
Anyway, the race. With those two massive straights, the start should be very interesting. Lewis can slipstream Nico the whole way if he gets off the line well.
But of course those Williams are scary in a straight line themselves.

acm2000

rules are there to be bent, they passed the safety tests and they passed the reg tests, without rule bending the sport would be even more dull that it already has been this year.

i for one applaud horner for pushing the boundaries of this mis-managed, poorly run, bernie pocket filling circus.

acm2000

Dammit. I totally forgot about the Formula-E race :| Looks like it was an eventful one.

put it this way, in formula-e the favorite way to overtake is gran-turismo-slam-it-up-the-inside-and-bounce-off-the-ai-style

and the track was duller than anything tilke could ever muster up

Shaneus

Calling it: Both RBRs to start from the pit lane, running a Monza-esque spec. Blaze the field, finish 5th and 6th (ish) behind the Williams and Mercs (obv).

Nicktendo86

rules are there to be bent, they passed the safety tests and they passed the reg tests, without rule bending the sport would be even more dull that it already has been this year.

i for one applaud horner for pushing the boundaries of this mis-managed, poorly run, bernie pocket filling circus.
Putting a spring in your front wing and trying to cover it by putting it in rubber and painting it isn't bending the rules it is fucking cheating and they should have the book thrown at them.

DBT85

Getting your carbon weave right to flex is one thing, deliberately putting in a mechanism that rotates it is another entirely.

Calling it: Both RBRs to start from the pit lane, running a Monza-esque spec. Blaze the field, finish 5th and 6th (ish) behind the Williams and Mercs (obv).

Their tyres will be shot to shit with no df helping them in the corners.

I can't say I'm really excited about the race. I expect it to be pretty boring. Standard Merc 1-2, with Lewis on P1 after getting past Nico in the middle of the race.
I don't even know if Lewis will bother to try to pass Nico unless it's insanely easy or it accidentally happens in a pit cycle. He doesn't need to so long as the pit wall can keep him properly gapped. I would look like an exclamation mark if Lewis took the win, though... though 10 damn wins in a season is already insane. Nico might try something gutsy like an early 1-stop since he knows he needs to be a bit daring. Kimi and Vettel have made bonkers tyre strategies work here in recent years.

Just because of the situation even watching a Mercedes 1-2 for 55 laps would still be exciting enough.

Edit: Woah, what? We're actually getting a full hour of pre-race in the US today? Sweet.

Top Bottom