• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

DieH@rd

Banned
Today is the day!

rosberg-getty_3101858dadmi.jpg

hadareud

The Translator
The person that will win the championship will deserve it.

If that person is Hamilton.

If it's not, then no, it's not deserved.

Yeah don't understand all the double points hate.

What if the season was 18 races? Or 20 races? Or one race was half points due to bad weather?

Edit: What a filler by Sky.

Exactly. It's an incredibly simple thing. The person with the most points will win, as they've done the best over the course of the season and thus deserve it. Magic.

I don't think you can simplify it that much. There are a number of things that could still happen and make a mockery of what you just said.

The double points are pretty meaningless for the most possible outcomes today.

If Lewis finishes third and Rosberg wins the race Rosberg is WDC, without double points Lewis would be WDC. It matters. Normally a 17 point buffer would mean a fifth place finish wins the title, now it means anything less than second loses it if Rosberg wins.

Double points makes a mockery of the rest of the season's ups and downs, it is an artificial and stupid way of "spicing up" F1 and that people who previously hated the idea of double points now don't mind it because Hamilton might lose because of it is pretty telling.

If Rosberg wins via double points his WDC will always have an asterisk next to it because it would not be legitimate.

duckroll

I don't think you can simplify it that much. There are a number of things that could still happen and make a mockery of what you just said.

How so?

Let's look at some of the likely possibilities:

- Rosberg wins the race, Hamilton is second. Hamilton wins the championship.

- Hamilton wins the race. Hamilton wins the championship.

- Neither of them finish the race. Hamilton wins the championship.

- Rosberg wins the race, Hamilton fails to finish second because he made a mistake. Rosberg wins the championship.

- Rosberg wins the race, Hamilton fails to finish second because of a pit error. Rosberg wins the championship.

- Rosberg wins the race, Hamilton fails to finish second because of a technical problem. Rosberg wins the championship.

These are all possibilities both contenders are well aware of going into the final race. They are both also aware that if either of them had done better throughout the season in a number of other races, they had the chance to wrap the championship up.

duckroll

So I'm curious, with all this talk about "deserving" the championship. If Hamilton decides to just "accidentally" run into Rosberg in a corner, taking out both cars and wrapping it up... who "deserves" to win the championship then?

How so?

Let's look at some of the likely possibilities:

- Rosberg wins the race, Hamilton is second. Hamilton wins the championship.

- Hamilton wins the race. Hamilton wins the championship.

- Neither of them finish the race. Hamilton wins the championship.

- Rosberg wins the race, Hamilton fails to finish second because he made a mistake. Rosberg wins the championship.

- Rosberg wins the race, Hamilton fails to finish second because of a pit error. Rosberg wins the championship.

- Rosberg wins the race, Hamilton fails to finish second because of a technical problem. Rosberg wins the championship.

These are all possibilities both contenders are well aware of going into the final race. They are both also aware that if either of them had done better throughout the season in a number of other races, they had the chance to wrap the championship up.

But for Spa and double points the Championship would be over, so saying the chance was there to wrap it up earlier by doing better is a bit unfair. As for the list of possibilities, I don't think it makes it simpler because both drivers are aware of what could happen. Let's not pretend there aren't ways in which the Championship could be won that would leave a bitter taste in the mouth. If Lewis takes him out going into turn 1, for example.

acm2000

Putting a spring in your front wing and trying to cover it by putting it in rubber and painting it isn't bending the rules it is fucking cheating and they should have the book thrown at them.

it wasnt a spring, and it passed all the fia tests/regs until they got tipped off and changed said tests

So I'm curious, with all this talk about "deserving" the championship. If Hamilton decides to just "accidentally" run into Rosberg in a corner, taking out both cars and wrapping it up... who "deserves" to win the championship then?

"deserving " is subjective. Out of anger I'd say Hamilton shouldn't win it if he did it that way. But if I take emotions out, he'd still deserve it if fia didn't disqualify him from the championship

dakun

If Lewis finishes third and Rosberg wins the race Rosberg is WDC, without double points Lewis would be WDC. It matters. Normally a 17 point buffer would mean a fifth place finish wins the title, now it means anything less than second loses it if Rosberg wins.

Double points makes a mockery of the rest of the season's ups and downs, it is an artificial and stupid way of "spicing up" F1 and that people who previously hated the idea of double points now don't mind it because Hamilton might lose because of it is pretty telling.

If Rosberg wins via double points his WDC will always have an asterisk next to it because it would not be legitimate.
Senna won a championship without even having the most points. Prost deserved it but the rules of the time determined Senna did.
Just about no one is marking that championship with an asterisk.
The rules today say Rosberg is champion if Lewis is 3rd and he wins. It's as legitimate of a championship win as any win if the past. No amount of saying otherwise will change that. You can always argue that Hamilton drove better races and he won more which is a fact but that doesn't win championships

TCRS

Banned
If Ferrari doesn't win today it's the first time since 1993 that they haven't won a single race in a season. That's how bad they are right now.

Business

Come on let's be a bit serious before being too carried away by your driver preference. Double points is a very arguable idea but let's not pretend the rule was put ad hoc yesterday for this race. That's the rules everyone knows since the start of the season and I assume every team and driver has prepared their championship with this in mind.

Rosberg. Sigh, but true. 1 mostly-deliberate damaging contact versus 1 really obvious contact designed to DNF someone. The later being 100% inexcusable under any circumstances, ever. Ever. I'd want Lewis' Super License revoked and him out of the sport.

I'd love to give it to Ricciardo or Kobayashi, but, no, Rosberg has done by far the most work after Hamilton and before anyone else.

Alonso back at Mclaren seems like a strange one given his history there. Ron Dennis on his way out?

$$$ $$$ $$$
Money is apt to make anyone hold their tongue. There must be soooooooo much money involved. Between Alonso driving and the engines, just... yeah.

Alonso interview for the US audience... sigh. The man should have won 2 championships in those horrible cars over 4 years. Said he wants to give a good show for his last race! Quick, someone call up Vitaly Petrov and throw him in a Lotus!

Top Bottom