• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Ark

As a casual F1 watcher, I don't get why Hamilton is getting so much praise for this year. At least in the UK, everyone devalues Vettel's titles for having the best car. And yet with Hamilton having by far the best car this year, it never gets mentioned. Also Vettel smashed his teammate. What gives?

UK sports fans will devalue the talents and achievements of those that beat their own favourites because they simply can't accept their level of skill.

I know plenty of people at work who were of the mind that Hamilton was going to win it because Nico would 'throw his toys out of the pram again' or some other silly comment, or that he was a 'spoiled rich boy'. It's very rare, especially in Formula 1, to find fans that are objective fans of the sport. This thread is still the only place I've found that has a level of decency for F1 discussion.

As a casual F1 watcher, I don't get why Hamilton is getting so much praise for this year. At least in the UK, everyone devalues Vettel's titles for having the best car. And yet with Hamilton having by far the best car this year, it never gets mentioned. Also Vettel smashed his teammate. What gives?

The Mercedes is actually more dominant that Redbulls ever were, but Lewis is not running unchallenged like Vettel was in his team.

That being said, Vettel urned 2010 and 2012 and he fought hard for those titles, not that he fought less in the other two, but they were relatively much easier for him

Guess Pastor will be driving this next year:

PromoPhoto.jpg

It even has the right nose for F1!

Breakage

Final constructors standings for this season:

Mercedes 701 (new record, probably won't be beaten for quite some time)
RBR 405
Williams 320
Ferrari 216
Mclaren 181
Force India 155
STR 30
Lotus 10
Marussia 2
Caterham, Sauber 0

Damn. 16 wins out of 19 races. Mercedes-AMG obliterated the competition this year.

dubc35

Haven't watched the GP but glad to see nothing silly (double points) decided the championship. Total beat down by Merc this year, excited for next year to see new faces in new places and hopefully someone challenging Mercedes.

Congrats to Lewis!

TylerD

Who gets canned at Merc for installing the wrong ERS unit in Rosberg's and Hamilton's cars?

Just kidding! Congrats to Lewis.

TCRS

Banned
the only british formula 1 champion to have been knighted was Jackie Stewart. so maybe after he wins his third title. He is already a member of the order of the british empire, might be bumped to a higher grade after this win.

shaki123

For me it's not about her talent. I can't even think of a reason why I can't stand her. It's probably her face that I can't stand and seeing her makes me angry. I guess people have a similar reaction to Rosberg. :lol

I would do her face any day of the week and maybe I'm gay.

kiyomi

In the end this season was an unsatisfying one, and this last race in Yabba Dabba Doo was the perfect example. The two upfront were close; rarely did we see them racing wheel-to-wheel, Hamilton eventually out on top, reliability issues for one of them. For all the talk of a great rivalry between the two, while they were similar pace wise for a lot of it, I can't help but feel that with a bit less misfortune for the pair of them, we'd have seen some closer battles ala Bahrain. I still count '07, '08 and 2010 as better years from the recent memory banks. It doesn't feel like we've had too many memorable races this year, and that's partly what has let me down a little.

I think most of it comes down to the fact that he had a stronger teammate than Vettel ever had. Throughout this season it has felt mostly pretty close between the two, but that Hamilton managed to get the victories when it counted. When Vettel won between '11-13, he was almost always very dominant, and so the view outside seemed to be that Vettel was just good at manipulating a particularly dominant car, where Webber could not.

In the end this season was an unsatisfying one, and this last race in Yabba Dabba Doo was the perfect example. The two upfront were close; rarely did we see them racing wheel-to-wheel, Hamilton eventually out on top, reliability issues for one of them. For all the talk of a great rivalry between the two, while they were similar pace wise for a lot of it, I can't help but feel that with a bit less misfortune for the pair of them, we'd have seen some closer battles ala Bahrain. I still count '07, '08 and 2010 as better years from the recent memory banks. It doesn't feel like we've had too many memorable races this year, and that's partly what has let me down a little.

I think most of it comes down to the fact that he had a stronger teammate than Vettel ever had. Throughout this season it has felt mostly pretty close between the two, but that Hamilton managed to get the victories when it counted. When Vettel won between '11-13, he was almost always very dominant, and so the view outside seemed to be that Vettel was just good at manipulating a particularly dominant car, where Webber could not.

2010, given the amount of championship contenders, was surprisingly low on action. We rarely saw them fight on track. 2010 had very intense competitions on the points table, but dull races thanks to lack of DRS, exhaust blown double diffusers and Bridgestone tyres.

Breakage

UK sports fans will devalue the talents and achievements of those that beat their own favourites because they simply can't accept their level of skill.

I know plenty of people at work who were of the mind that Hamilton was going to win it because Nico would 'throw his toys out of the pram again' or some other silly comment, or that he was a 'spoiled rich boy'. It's very rare, especially in Formula 1, to find fans that are objective fans of the sport. This thread is still the only place I've found that has a level of decency for F1 discussion.

Yup.
I think lot of people who have no interest in F1 also back Lewis simply because of his celebrity profile and links.
His victory today is currently the headline story on the Daily Mail and half of the photos feature Nicole Scherzinger.

This one of the better ways for Rosberg tp have lost imo. Lots of sympathy and a way to start next year with less public hate.

In the end he wasn't really robbed of a championship.

At least Alonso and Ferrari parted on good terms.

9B6hecc.png

It's great to see them like that. It was also great how he pointed at Massa in the interview and that's where he wants to be and that's why he's leaving.

Ferrari isn't going to do shit in the next three years.

kiyomi

2010, given the amount of championship contenders, was surprisingly low on action. We rarely saw them fight on track. 2010 had very intense competitions on the points table, but dull races thanks to lack of DRS, exhaust blown double diffusers and Bridgestone tyres.

Totally disagree - Australia in the changing conditions, rain in China, the incredible tension and fallout in Turkey, a great Belgian grand prix, Kobayashi's charge through the field in Japan, etc.

There's a lot more that sticks out in my mind from 2010 than in 2014, there was more competition up and down the field, more accidents, more tension inside the teams - I thought 2010 was great.

And DRS still doesn't make races exciting. pls.

Also, in 2010, we still had all the races on the BBC and Anthony Davidson commentary. :p

Totally disagree - Australia in the changing conditions, rain in China, the incredible tension and fallout in Turkey, a great Belgian grand prix, Kobayashi's charge through the field in Japan, etc.

There's a lot more that sticks out in my mind from 2010 than in 2014, there was more competition up and down the field, more accidents, more tension inside the teams - I thought 2010 was great.

And DRS still doesn't make races exciting. pls.

Also, in 2010, we still had all the races on the BBC and Anthony Davidson commentary. :p

Without DRS, Lewis wouldn't have passed Rosberg in Japan or in Austin. DRS played a huge role in that. I don't like it, don't get me wrong, but it's foolish to say it's completely useless.

Also, stats show that 2010 had the least overtakes in the previous 5 years (including 2014), by a country mile - and that's despite a lot of changeable conditions/wet races.

http://cliptheapex.com/overtaking/

In terms of memorable moments, I think nostalgia and the lack of challengers outside of Mercedes this year may cloud the judgment. I agree that overall 2010 was a great season (great drama, RBR imploding, Crash!Kid Vettel, etc.), although it was rather low on on-track action amongst contenders given that there were 5 of them. There is nothing in 2010 that rivals what Lewis/Nico did in Bahrain 2014, for instance. Jenson/Lewis had such on-track fight but only for 3-4 corners in 1 lap.

Ark

You must be utterly misguided. 2010 was horribly boring on-track. Yeah the points battle was spectacular but there was zero racing. As for no DRS, are you forgetting about the F-Duct? It basically served the same purpose for McLaren.

This year we had Bahrain, Canada, Germany, Hungary, Suzuka, and Brazil. Just to name a few off the top of my head.

kiyomi

You must be utterly misguided.

C'mon.

The racing this year was better - but the action, the drama? Personally, I disagree. Don't get your panties in a twist just 'cause I don't agree with you.

And while I did forget that the F-duct was a thing, it's totally not the same thing in terms of end result as the DRS.

C'mon.

The racing this year was better - but the action, the drama? Personally, I disagree. Don't get your panties in a twist just 'cause I don't agree with you.

And while I did forget that the F-duct was a thing, it's totally not the same thing in terms of end result as the DRS.

I agree about drama to some extent, although the final few races were quite anti-climactic. But action? Really? 2010 is the worst year of the new "aero" regs era (2009-today) for the reasons I stated above (tyres too durable, EBDD, no DRS).

They fixed all three items for 2011 and thus 2011 was the year on record with the most on-track action.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Fun fact : Williams gathered almost as much points this season (320) as they got from 2005 until the end of 2013 season (325,5). Dat Mercedes power. Also, they had fewer ERS issues than factory team

Fun fact 2: Ferrari had the worst season since 2009, when they also ended 4th in WCC. But Kimi even managed one victory that year..

Fun fact 3: Even with their total disaster of car, Mclaren managed to score 59 points more than last year.

Fun fac t4: Best ever season finish for Force India with 155 points.

kiyomi

I agree about drama to some extent, although the final few races were quite anti-climactic. But action? Really? 2010 is the worst year of the new "aero" regs era (2009-today) for the reasons I stated above (tyres too durable, EBDD, no DRS).

They fixed all three items for 2011 and thus 2011 was the year on record with the most on-track action.

Maybe, as you said before I could be misremembering some of it. Just as a narrative though, across a whole season, I think I enjoyed 2010 a little more than 2014, that's all.

I hated 2011, for what it's worth. That Turkey DRS diabolical. Holy moly.

Ark

C'mon.

Alright, I was a bit dramatic :p

The best year since 2008 has been 2012 for me, hands down.

DBT85

Well deserved WDC for Lewis.

A real shame for Nico that his season ended like that but full credit to him for sticking it out to the end and his attitude in defeat, can't have been easy.

Really pleased for Williams, I hope they can make a positive step in the office season.

I don't really have a problem with one team dominating provided it's done like Mercedes have and that the team mates keep each other honest. Here are the cars, go racing, don't crash. Ferrari didn't do it, Red Bull didn't do it.

FuturusX

A real shame for Nico that his season ended like that but full credit to him for sticking it out to the end and his attitude in defeat, can't have been easy.

Really pleased for Williams, I hope they can make a positive step in the office season.

I don't really have a problem with one team dominating provided it's done like Mercedes have and that the team mates keep each other honest. Here are the cars, go racing, don't crash. Ferrari didn't do it, Red Bull didn't do it.

Agreed. No Multi 21 nonsense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Agreed. The only thing I'd like to see is that their relationship is ok after this season. I hope the media was pushing it to be more than it was to try and inject some drama into the season.

Shaneus

Mad respect. I'm hoping for some exciting racing between them next year!

Can we get an exact quote of what was said to Massa on the podium? I didn't see any of it.

And the race... is it worth watching for Ricciardo's epic climb into fourth? Why didn't Vettel do as well?

And the race... is it worth watching for Ricciardo's epic climb into fourth? Why didn't Vettel do as well?

Vettel got stuck behind Magnussen for some reason, whereas Ricciardo didn't. It was odd, Ricciardo's DRS seemed far more effective (Vettel was barely catching Magnussen under DRS).

stryke

Mad respect. I'm hoping for some exciting racing between them next year!

Can we get an exact quote of what was said to Massa on the podium? I didn't see any of it.

They didn't show much of the Red Bulls until they were something like 9th and 10th. Ric was able to charge through but Vettel got stuck behind Mag at that moment.

I think it's worth watching for more than just Ric thiugh.

Shaneus

They both did, due to their times being deleted for qualy for the illegal front wing.
Well, that only pushed them to the back of the grid. I believe if they wanted to make changes out of parc ferme, they'd have to start from pit lane (which is essentially the same thing). Sounds like they ran Monza-spec (or close to it).

Top Bottom