• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

oipic

Thanks, guys. Did either of the RBRs start from pit lane?

For what it's worth, too, Shaneus, Ricciardo queued up behind Vettel in pit lane, as their FP3 times were used to determine their starting order (after, obviously, their qualifying laps were deemed null and void).

Other than strange and somewhat sobering missteps in qualifying, Lewis' racecraft this year has been excellent. I can think of only two errors: the one in Brazil and Canada when he ignored the call to back off Nico and cool his brake temperatures. Other than that, its been a tour de force for him. He's almost at Alonso's level of driving mastery now, whatever gap in skill exists between the two is pretty marginal at this point.

Rosberg surprised me with his pace and tenacity in qualifying. His Sunday performances need refinement, but its kind of scary to think of what he could be like should his racecraft improve.

Road

Had to stop watching on lap 35, so I just finished my recording of the end now (and somehow avoided being spoiled).

Things got even worse for Rosberg, which resulted in a boring final race, as far as the championship goes.

Congrats to Hamilton, finally winning his title again. And Rosberg as well, for putting up a fight. But the DOTY is obviously Ricciardo.

Honorable mention to Williams' car designers.

Pimpwerx

I thoroughly enjoyed this race and this season. As a Hamilton fan, I'm perfectly fine with sacrificing the fun one season to make sure my boy can have an easy championship run. He's had such rotten luck in his career that he deserved this.

Great car from Mercedes. Gracious conduct from Nico, even though I'm now sworn to hate him the rest of his career.

Now Hammy is a TWO-TIME...TWO-TIME WORLD DRIVING CHAMPION! Now he's truly out himself among the greats. I can't wait for next season. I said the move to Merc was a good one, and I always said this would be the year he could challenge for the title. I didn't think it would be this dominant. I'm now curious to see if they can carry this momentum into next season. PEACE.

stryke

Congrats to Hamilton, finally winning his title again. And Rosberg as well, for putting up a fight. But the DOTY is obviously Ricciardo.

Honorable mention to Williams' car designers.

Did BBC interview Ric? Because I didn't see anything on Sky's website.

Despite his good performance he seemed to be largely forgotten post race along with everyone else who isn't leaving/changing teams/didn't get on the podium.

Road

Did BBC interview Ric? Because I didn't see anything on Sky's website.

Despite his good performance he seemed to be largely forgotten post race along with everyone else who isn't leaving/changing teams/didn't get on the podium.
No idea, i watch Brazilian tv.

Yeah, he finished 4th from the pits, which in any other race would've been a big highlight, but today is all about the championship.

Dead Man

So that was a race. Well done Ham, great season overall. Gutted to see Ros lose like that, massive respect for him not retiring from the race and his drive. Ric was awesome as usual, standout of the year for me.

If I see pages of 'Ham is doomed/cursed/hated/jinxed/whatever' in next years thread I will be very disappointed with a lot of posters. Shit got old as fuck this year.

Ark

If I see pages of 'Ham is doomed/cursed/hated/jinxed/whatever' in next years thread I will be very disappointed with a lot of posters. Shit got old as fuck this year.

Yeah I won't be doing that any more. I'm still kind of in disbelief that he's won his second title, I honestly thought a year like this wouldn't happen in his career. Five years between titles is a huge gap, possibly the largest?

Hopefully Hamilton & Alonso get to three titles each, that'd be perfect.

Yeah I won't be doing that any more. I'm still kind of in disbelief that he's won his second title, I honestly thought a year like this wouldn't happen in his career. Five years between titles is a huge gap, possibly the largest?

Hopefully Hamilton & Alonso get to three titles each, that'd be perfect.

Nope, try seven. That would be Mr. Lauda (1977 and 1984). Jack Brabham and Graham Hill had 6 years between titles, too.

DBT85

Lewis will be asking Mercedes to keep 44 on his car next season instead of 1.

Also lol @ Newey now wanting to use end of straight photos to get them in trouble over wing flex. The ironing.

ramparter

Banned
So Ham won, nice for him, prefered him to Nico especially after the conspiracy against him - eventually Mercedes realized people wanted Lewis and hated Nico so they stopped sabotaging him.

Anyway the big news is the illegal Red Bull wing they ve been using all these years to cheat. So Vettel should hand all his titles to their respective owners, right?

So 2010, 2012, 2013 goes to Alonso. And 2011 Button woohoo!!!

neoanarch

Anyway the big news is the illegal Red Bull wing they ve been using all these years to cheat. So Vettel should hand all his titles to their respective owners, right?

So 2010, 2012, 2013 goes to Alonso. And 2011 Button woohoo!!!
Yeah. Fat chance that actually happens.

Nicktendo86

So some 'insider' info has been posted on the autosport forums, apparently the 2015 Ferrari is a dog in the simulator and Tombiaz is being sacked. Kimi and Vettel have been told.

Would match up with what alonso has said. Said to see Ferrari in such a state.

Edit: also, hype!
McLaren-Honda – a new era: http://youtu.be/SzouwIF-5CU

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So some 'insider' info has been posted on the autosport forums, apparently the 2015 Ferrari is a dog in the simulator and Tombiaz is being sacked. Kimi and Vettel have been told.

Info comes from Leo Turrini's blog.. Wasn't he the first to hint last year that Ferrari PU will be troublesome?

Gonna sack 'em all

DBT85

Nice to see

B3JbB-3CIAEJ17E.jpg

@nico_rosberg
Tough end.Would have loved to fight til last corner. Congrats, lewis.u deserve the title. Special year with the team.

Mastah

On the contrary, it's great to see them hopeless and suffering. They can GTFO with their elitist bullshit coupled with receiving 100 million for just being called Ferrari and another 100 million from Philip Morris.

I truly hope, paraphrasing Alonso, #theworstisyettocome for Ferrari. I will enjoy every single time Alonso in his McLaren-Honda is spanking Kimster&Sebby driving for Scuderia Underperforrmi.

Nicktendo86

Nice to see

B3JbB-3CIAEJ17E.jpg

@nico_rosberg
Tough end.Would have loved to fight til last corner. Congrats, lewis.u deserve the title. Special year with the team.
I was surprised and touched by Rosberg's reaction, class act. Hope he wins a title one day, he has won me over.

hadareud

The Translator
Ferrari were a lot more sympathetic before Schumacher went there and they became successful again.

Wouldn't hurt if the incredible arrogance that they accumulated during the Schumacher years was to be challenged for a while longer and reduced as a result of it.

Elmundo reporting:

- Winning car for Alonso (doesn't say when);

- Honda spending 400 million in their F1 program;

- Mclaren trying to sign Alonso since July 2013 (when Alonso openly criticized Ferrari);

- 35 million euros a season;

Also Andrea Stella (Alonso's race engineer) is going to Mclaren. Vettel wanted Stella to stay.

If the 2015 Ferrari is a dog, where does that leave Allison?

For what it's worth, too, Shaneus, Ricciardo queued up behind Vettel in pit lane, as their FP3 times were used to determine their starting order (after, obviously, their qualifying laps were deemed null and void).

For whatever reason they put out Ricciardo first in the pit lane. They even released an image from Vettel's car yesterday to prove it.

The revised grid also showed Vettel after Ricciardo. Not entirely sure why (maybe Red Bull requested it?)

B3KR9NVCAAApTfN.jpg:large

Like Alonso has said yesterday, the problem with Ferrari is not one person.

Hiring or firing just one guy won't change a thing (see Costa). Getting rid of Allison and Fry would be the worst they could do. They need to change the culture and environment.

E: the rumors about Ferrari's 2015 car being shit and them wanting to sack Tombazis are from earlier this month. Even Fry could be gone, now that Allison is the technical leader.

"Now, the authoritative daily La Gazzetta dello Sport claims Marchionne, who recently took over from Luca di Montezemolo, reacted with alarm to the first concrete numbers emerging from the 2015 project.

And “Is it this year’s car or next year’s?” he reportedly asked when he was shown sketches.

The swords of Damocles have been falling all over Maranello in 2014, with Stefano Domenicali, Luca di Montezemolo, Luca Marmorini and now Fernando Alonso all departing.

There are claims chief designer Nikolas Tombazis could be the next, while a cloud has been over Pat Fry’s job ever since James Allison assumed clear leadership in the technical realm.

When asked about the 2015 car rumours, Fry said in Brazil: “There’s obviously a huge gap we need to catch up. I think things are progressing reasonably well.”"

Yen

So will Alsonso be staying at McLaren long term? I assume the answer is 'yes' if the Honda engine is good enough?

As long as the car is competitive, yes. If it's a repeat of BAR/Honda F1 he won't stay for more than 2 seasons for sure.
If Ferrari had a competitive car he would have stayed.

Another food for thought for Button staying in Mclaren: he earned the team millions of dollars with his 20 points yesterday in their fight with Force India while Mag really didn't help at all.

I've heard rumours of a rolling year by year contract so he could get out if it went bad.

There is no way Ron Dennis would allow a one year rolling contract. Most likely it is a two year contract with a one year option that would allow Alonso out if they don't produce a race winning car.

As long as the car is competitive, yes. If it's a repeat of BAR/Honda F1 he won't stay for more than 2 seasons for sure.
If Ferrari had a competitive car he would have stayed.

Another food for thought for Button staying in Mclaren: he earned the team millions of dollars with his 20 points yesterday in their fight with Force India while Mag really didn't help at all.

I'd say that Magnussen is out either way.

jey_16

Banned
On the contrary, it's great to see them hopeless and suffering. They can GTFO with their elitist bullshit coupled with receiving 100 million for just being called Ferrari and another 100 million from Philip Morris.

I truly hope, paraphrasing Alonso, #theworstisyettocome for Ferrari. I will enjoy every single time Alonso in his McLaren-Honda is spanking Kimster&Sebby driving for Scuderia Underperforrmi.

oh please...like McLaren are some innocent team playing by the rules. 2007 and $100m fine say otherwise. Any team would gladly accept the extra money from the FIA if Bernie came knocking, Ferrari would be stupid to turn it down and any team would let themselves be be sponsored by Philip Morris if they were offering that kind of cash!

Wonder how long it will take Alonso to complain if the McLaren turns out to be a dog

jey_16

Banned
Three team principals in a year. That surely has to be worth some points in the constructors championship!

Mattiacci was always going to be short term, that was what said when he was hired. Probably trying to get Brawn at the end of the season which didn't work out.

Really odd how poorly the race team is performing compared to the road car division destroying everything out there at the moment

Nicktendo86

Ferrari are in meltdown, almost feel sorry for Vettel. Almost. It's like they have gone back in time to the dark ore Schumacher days.

So is this good news or bad news for Ferrari? You're suggesting this guy knows a lot about F1?

Arrivabene is a tobacco salesman, to put it blunt. Much like Mattiacci was a car salesman before. Previously overseeing the Marlboro brand in Europe, Arrivabene has always had some strong ties to Ferrari and F1. He knows the sport or aspects of it, but I kinda doubt that it's enough to lead a team like Ferrari out of its misery.

Wow Mattiacci is leaving Ferrari?

Should have never left Ferrari America.

I thought he was getting a different position?

So is this good news or bad news for Ferrari? You're suggesting this guy knows a lot about F1?

I would say he's the opposite of Mattiacci: knows the F1 business pretty well and knows all the big characters. With the issue of engine freeze and income distribution on the agenda, he'll probably be more political than Mattiacci.

I thought he was getting a different position?

Press release thanks Mattiacci for his 15 years at Ferrari and wishes him the best.

Ferrari announced their replacement for Vettel.

"The Scuderia have decided to turn to GP2 racer [Raffaele] Marciello and the Ferrari Driver Academy member will make his F1 debut at the Yas Marina Circuit.

"I can't wait to drive out of the garage in the F14 T and I think it will be a really special feeling," the 19-year-old is quoted as saying by Autosport.
"

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/9577692/Marciello-gets-Ferrari-chance

e:
Press release thanks Mattiacci for his 15 years at Ferrari and wishes him the best.

Wow. I really hope they told him that it would happen. It was clear that he was there to fill in, but it didn't seem like he wanted to end his career at Ferrari there.

Wow. I really hope they told him that it would happen. It was clear that he was there to fill in, but it didn't seem like he wanted to end his career at Ferrari there.

I doubt it.

"Hey leave your position as CEO of Ferrari America and in 8 months we will sack you and you will leave the company".

Mattiacci was probably Luca's boy and Marchionne didn't like what he was seeing.

I'm sure he'll have a nice severance package, so it's hard to feel sorry for him.

This is pretty funny: What was said when Lewis Hamilton quit McLaren to join Mercedes in 2012

That last picture :lol

Nicktendo86

I missed all the stuff around RBR and the wing - what's the story there?

This summary from scarbs sums it up nicely, it is pretty damning and I have no idea how they have got away with such a light punishment.

I’ll explain what evidence I saw of the RBR front wing flex…

It is the front wing adjuster that allows the movement, The adjuster pod was pointed out above. In the scrutineering bay a hand pressed down with just finger pressure on the top of the adjuster, this was rigid as you’d except. Then shape of the pod was squeezed, its squashed like the bulb on a bicycle horn! Then the hand pressed down on the slotted section of flap just next to the adjuster, the wing deflected very easily. I mean this was not a hefty push with the palm of a hand, more like moving the lid on your laptop. As the wing deflected the bulb deformed too, both sprung back to their original shape as soon as the pressure released.

As you can see the adjuster pod is all black, but that’s because since China it’s been a part made from metal (alu..?) and something black. Before that it was one material and painted the same colour as the wing. I’ve got pictures of the pod and assumed at the time that as it was matt black that the material was carbon of some 3D resin to create the shape. It seems it is a rubber-like material.

Therefore its proven that
1) the pod is flexible, as its counted as bodywork, that alone is in contravention of 3.15.
2) the top of the adjuster is not rigidly connected to the flap below, what appears to be a fastener running from the hex headed top through the mount on the flap is clearly not. It was suggested a leaf spring was employed within the pod between the top of the adjuster and the flap, I haven’t seen the insides of the mechanism, but clearly some form of ‘sprung’ element allows a large degree of movement for very little force. It was suggested by those who have compared it directly to other teams wings, that the RBR flap is 4 times more flexible than its rivals.

Top Bottom