• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Ronbo says the shareholders and board will decide who partners Alonso, which is good news? The entire board can't be made up of imbeciles, so Jenson saved!

Alonso, Button, Brawn, Peter P and Honda to bring back the glory days - yes!

Nicktendo86

I doubt Ferrari payed him 2 full years and let him sign for Mclaren - especially if Fernando was the one who pushed to leave. They might have wavered some clauses in his contract to speed up the process, but tens of millions of dollars? Find that hard to believe.

Joe Saward is reporting that the Phillip Morris contract was up for renegotiation (which might explain the appointment of Arrivabene) and that Mattiaci had interviews with the road car divisions of Aston Martin and... Mclaren.
Now that is interesting. He was a bit of a darling of the Ferrari road car division, wasn't he? Could be a boon for McLaren if they sign him up.

Zeknurn

Ronbo says the shareholders and board will decide who partners Alonso, which is good news? The entire board can't be made up of imbeciles, so Jenson saved!

Alonso, Button, Brawn, Peter P and Honda to bring back the glory days - yes!

I'd rather see Brawn head up the Audi team than waste his time at McLaren.

Deadman

Given that they said they're taking a year off, and it's now been two... the signs aren't looking good. I have to say (again) that I much preferred the GP Predictor we used last year. Everyone has a chance race-to-race, and even if one or two people dominate the field like this year, the rest of the top 10 (and the bets) mean that it still remains a challenge to max out your points.

As for the one we were using this year that no one seemed to give a shit about...

...I won.

EDIT: Looks like I also came 3rd (or joint first, if we're being proper) in the ALT F1 league as well

I came 5th.

I was pretty gutted that in one of the races near the start of the season i had the exact correct time predicted for qualiying....and then i changed it about an hour before qualy started :(

TCRS

Banned
holy shit at that Ferrari meltdown. what is happening to my team ;_;

Alonso left just in time. Kimi just wants another 20 mil and then he's leaving.

Dude, I've asked this a few times. She's a mystery. :(

It's Nicolas Hamiltons girlfriend:

https://twitter.com/MelGrevatt

On the contrary, it's great to see them hopeless and suffering. They can GTFO with their elitist bullshit coupled with receiving 100 million for just being called Ferrari and another 100 million from Philip Morris.

I truly hope, paraphrasing Alonso, #theworstisyettocome for Ferrari. I will enjoy every single time Alonso in his McLaren-Honda is spanking Kimster&Sebby driving for Scuderia Underperforrmi.

I loled.

I'm still laughing at how similar that front wing McLaren used in FP1 to the Red Bull one. It would be hilarious if McLaren and Red Bull turned up to Jerez with identical looking cars, just in different liveries.

DBT85

Re the flexi wing. It's OK. Horner said that to resolve the problem they went back to the wing from Brazil. He wouldn't lie.

Why exactly are flexible front wings banned anyway? Can anyone name a good reason for this, other than FIA wanting to strangle aerodynamic creativity?

Ark

Why exactly are flexible front wings banned anyway? Can anyone name a good reason for this, other than FIA wanting to strangle aerodynamic creativity?

Moveable aerodynamic devices are banned. Same reason FRIC was banned earlier this year (what a non-issue that turned out to be).

Moveable aerodynamic devices are banned. Same reason FRIC was banned earlier this year (what a non-issue that turned out to be).
It was such a non issue that I even forgot that was banned. Didn't stop Mercedes from curb stomping the rest of the field. It was done for nothing.

Looking at F1Fanatic's form guide and Kimi got absolutely wrecked

Code:
	                Kimi Raikkonen	                  Fernando Alonso
Qualified ahead	        3	                          16
Average qualifying gap	+0.528s                           -
Finished race ahead	1	                          15
Laps spent ahead	155	                          854

Disgraceful performance, with Vettel struggling in a Red Bull this season and stepping into a reported shitbox next. How far will Ferrari fall?

Looking at F1Fanatic's form guide and Kimi got absolutely wrecked

Code:
	                Kimi Raikkonen	                  Fernando Alonso
Qualified ahead	        3	                          16
Average qualifying gap	+0.528s                           -
Finished race ahead	1	                          15
Laps spent ahead	155	                          854

Disgraceful performance, with Vettel struggling in a Red Bull this season and stepping into a reported shitbox next. How far will Ferrari fall?
Maybe Force India will beat them in the constructors championship.

Shaneus

So some 'insider' info has been posted on the autosport forums, apparently the 2015 Ferrari is a dog in the simulator and Tombiaz is being sacked. Kimi and Vettel have been told.

Would match up with what alonso has said. Said to see Ferrari in such a state.
Are we taking bets on Kvyat beating Vettel next year? Would be fucking amazing. Hell, I'd love to see how Kimi does against him... I'm guessing it'll be closer than Kimi/Alonso this year.

Also Andrea Stella (Alonso's race engineer) is going to Mclaren. Vettel wanted Stella to stay.
Isn't Rocky Vettel's engineer?

And so Alonso is 100% confirmed going to Macca, yes?

I think Red Bull will be competitive. Renault will make enough inroads into Mercedes' lead and Red Bull will make up the rest with crazy aero.
Given the latest revelations, are we sure on aero? If the bubble/illegal wing thing was entirely Newey's baby and he's not at the helm next year, what else could they have up their sleeve?

BTW Really impressed with Nico's reaction after the last round. Not really surprised, but he's behaved quite maturely. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes this year and be a bit less of a cunt.

Are we taking bets on Kvyat beating Vettel next year? Would be fucking amazing. Hell, I'd love to see how Kimi does against him... I'm guessing it'll be closer than Kimi/Alonso this year.

Kvyat is going to have a proper F1 car while Vettel and Kimi are going to drive a Fiat. Of course he's going to beat Vettel. It's not exactly a fair fight and nothing amazing about that. Or are we going to assume that Bottas is suddenly better than Alonso?

Dilly

Banned
Can't believe Vettel was blinded so hard by his desire to pull a Schumacher. Ferrari is imploding spectacularly and it has no one like Ron Dennis there that actually inspires confidence in a turn around.

Ark

Can't believe Vettel was blinded so hard by his desire to pull a Schumacher. Ferrari is imploding spectacularly and it has no one like Ron Dennis there that actually inspires confidence in a turn around.

Is that really the case? I kinda thought it was just blind passion for Ferrari, not so much trying to emulate Schumacher.

Is that really the case? I kinda thought it was just blind passion for Ferrari, not so much trying to emulate Schumacher.

Schumacher is his biggest idol and seeing how he hasn't impressed anyone* with his four titles in a row, he probably feels like he needs to do something equally impressive.

*some loud critics

Ark

Schumacher is his biggest idol and seeing how he hasn't impressed anyone* with his four titles in a row, he probably feels like he needs to do something equally impressive.

*some loud critics

Ah that's a good point. No matter what he does, he's always going to get stick for those four titles. It's a shame.

I just dont get ferrari, what the fuck is the issue why are they so incompetent.

Ferrari is a political entity rather than a racing one. They don't actually provide any time for their changes to take effect. We promoted you ten months ago but we didn't win the title? Enjoy the severance lol.

I just dont get ferrari, what the fuck is the issue why are they so incompetent.

It feels very Italian again. Taking it slow, lets see how it's going, we're going to improve for sure, we know where the problem is and we're working on it, yadda yadda yadda.

And lots of politics, of course. Now more than ever.

Zeppu

It almost makes sense for Vettel to go to Ferrari when they're at their lowest. If somehow during his tenure they rise again to their former glory he can take some credit off that.

This is such a critical point for vettel tho i dont want him to waste the rest of his 20s while he is at his peak physically racing for these retards.

Shaneus

Pretty much. It's not unlike Conan O'Brien's blind-sightedness to host "The Tonight Show", regardless of the legacy it did or didn't have (and how it affected things like how the contract was written up etc.).

Does anyone kind of feel an air of McLaren's hastily-employed Perez and Magnussen with RBR's Kvyat? What could the alternatives have been?

duckroll

Ferrari is a political entity rather than a racing one. They don't actually provide any time for their changes to take effect. We promoted you ten months ago but we didn't win the title? Enjoy the severance lol.

I dunno, that's only their recent response. Before this the team has had like 5 years of luxury to do as they please. They were just shitting all over themselves with one crappy car after another.

Now that is interesting. He was a bit of a darling of the Ferrari road car division, wasn't he? Could be a boon for McLaren if they sign him up.

Well he was the CEO of the most important market for Ferrari, so lol yeah I guess he was a rising star in the company.

Isn't Rocky Vettel's engineer?
And so Alonso is 100% confirmed going to Macca, yes?
Did I miss something? Is Rocky going to Ferrari? Might have missed that one.
Yes, 100% sure. King of Spain certified.

Anyone seen this? It appears to be Perez cutting a corner. Nothing was mentioned in the race about it.

http://gfycat.com/ThatMatureBlesbok

If he didn't gain a position, or gave it back, there's no penalty.

Well he was the CEO of the most important market for Ferrari, so lol yeah I guess he was a rising star in the company.

Yes, 100% sure. King of Spain certified.

If he didn't gain a position, or gave it back, there's no penalty.

He cut the corner and gained 3 positions.

DBT85

If they allowed movable aero then every straight every wing would go flat, every corner would be max down force, there would be aero braking etc. One fear is that a diver bombs down a kilometre straight at well over 230 mph because of less drag and when he gets to the end his flaps don't flap.

It was such a non issue that I even forgot that was banned. Didn't stop Mercedes from curb stomping the rest of the field. It was done for nothing.

It was done to prevent every other team from having to spend the money to add it to compete. Same reason they can only use certain gases in the wheel guns. Teams started using something better years ago as it was faster, but they stopped it as it was an arms race to nowhere.

Shaneus

I don't know... if Vettel wanted Alonso's engineer to stay, does that mean he was done with Rocky? Or am I confusing roles in the team?

Edit: This is a few months old. Maybe this was a bit of impetus for him to move as well? Perhaps it was thought he'd get Alonso's one and that was motivation too, until Alonso's announced he was moving to McL with him?

I don't know... if Vettel wanted Alonso's engineer to stay, does that mean he was done with Rocky? Or am I confusing roles in the team?

Edit: This is a few months old. Maybe this was a bit of impetus for him to move as well? Perhaps it was thought he'd get Alonso's one and that was motivation too, until Alonso's announced he was moving to McL with him?

Normally race engineers don't follow their driver to a new one, but in some cases (like Alonso) they build such a rapport that they want their previous engineer with them. And sometimes the race engineer doesn't want to go (money, move family to a new location, etc.). In this case considering Fernando's salary what's a bit more money to bring Stella and make him happy?

We don't know if Vettel wanted Rocky at Ferrari, maybe he didn't. Stella is a highly rated race engineer BTW, he was Kimi's race engineer in Kimi's first stint with Ferrari, so I can see why Vettel wanted him.

But Stella going with Fernando is a good thing for Fernando: no need to build a connection with a new engineer in a "new" team.

Edit:

So Porsche announced yesterday that they will run a 3rd car for Le Mans (and 6 hours of Spa). The kid in me is so excited for next years Le Mans.
But it could be a good opportunity for a F1 driver to have some real fun.

In other news:
- Ferrari are trying to sign Aldo Costa, the guy they fired in 2011, went to Mercedes and won the world championship;
- Formula1.com will be totally revamped in 2015, more social media (heh) and more personalisation;
- The Abu Dhabi GP attracted 4.71m average, 6.41m peak for BBC, 963k average 1.36m peak for Sky Sports F1. Down from 8.8m and 13.1m in 2008. Ouch. Needs to be on primetime methinks.

It was done to prevent every other team from having to spend the money to add it to compete. Same reason they can only use certain gases in the wheel guns. Teams started using something better years ago as it was faster, but they stopped it as it was an arms race to nowhere.
you know thanks for the reminder on that one. It's been such a long time since that happened I completely forgot the reason why that happened. I honestly just thought it was a rule change to try to peg back some of the Mercedes advantage, like with mass dampers from like 2006.

Edit: after the way Ferrari took a shit on Aldo Costa I honestly don't see him going back.

Chris R

Fernando + Jenson would be cool, but what would happen to Kevin? Would be a shame to see him out of the series so quick with how well he did at points this year with a sub optimal car...

Shaneus

Hopefully the F1 app doesn't change that much. I welcomed the massive price cut on the extras, and having team radios and BBC5 commentary (I think?) default on every race was fantastic. No idea why they wouldn't add something like live video as well, even if it's stuff that isn't broadcast anywhere else so as to avoid stepping on broadcasters' toes (like pit-only or certain other cameras).

Ark

I dunno, that's only their recent response. Before this the team has had like 5 years of luxury to do as they please. They were just shitting all over themselves with one crappy car after another.

Ferrari have been this way since they signed Kimi. There was an interesting article a few months ago on how LdM was trying to turn Ferrari into a pure-blood Italian team, rather than the multi-cultural one that featured so much success.

Dead Man

Ferrari have been this way since they signed Kimi. There was an interesting article a few months ago on how LdM was trying to turn Ferrari into a pure-blood Italian team, rather than the multi-cultural one that featured so much success.

Except for Brawns time there, Ferrari have been like this since the 80's.

Yeah I won't be doing that any more. I'm still kind of in disbelief that he's won his second title, I honestly thought a year like this wouldn't happen in his career. Five years between titles is a huge gap, possibly the largest?

Hopefully Hamilton & Alonso get to three titles each, that'd be perfect.

All good, mate :)

Just watched Rush. Holy shit is that 100% Nikki. Great movie.

Yeah, Bruhl is sublime in that film.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
In other news:
- Ferrari are trying to sign Aldo Costa, the guy they fired in 2011, went to Mercedes and won the world championship;
-

Well, he was literally kicked out from Ferrari and now they want him back? They really lost their compass

Mastah

That's someone else we were talking about a tall skinny blonde, during qualifying she was wearing a green dress and during race she was in a merc shirt. Common detective GAF!

AZYfp1b.jpg

I tried to CSI her paddock pass, but resolution is just too low, even from much closer shot :(

duckroll

Lol. What a stupid loser. Hopefully with him gone, Ferrari can start the road to recovery...

I couldn't say that with a straight face. :(

Top Bottom