• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Yeah I doubt the CEO of Mercedes is going to attend the F1 commission, so he probably had a chat with Bernie.

But Marchionne and Arrivabene will attend the F1 commission this evening. I would love to be a fly in that room.

Jean Todt against 3rd cars, returning V8 and the biturbo that Horner was talking about. So pretty much in line with what I posted earlier (affordable PUs).

And CVC is interested in owning the Formula E series.

Who was the last defending champion to not win a race? Or is Vettel the first?

Nope. He joins a list that includes:

Alberto Ascari, 1954
Mario Andretti, 1979
Jody Scheckter, 1980
Damon Hill, 1997
Jacques Villeneuve, 1998 (the last guy to do it)

Not to mention drivers that retired or were killed after winning their title.

Schumacher almost did in 2005 if not for that farce of a race at Indianapolis.

Chris R

Formula E could be good. It just needs more time in the oven to bake. Car swapping is stupid. The tracks and locations for races thus far have been terrible. The drivers need to be of a higher caliber and not crash into anything moving on the course.

Formula E could be good. It just needs more time in the oven to bake. Car swapping is stupid. The tracks and locations for races thus far have been terrible. The drivers need to be of a higher caliber and not crash into anything moving on the course.

I want to see them on proper road courses. I fuckin hate street tracks with a passion.

Zeknurn

I'm sure Formula E will come into its own when the teams start developing their cars next season.

QVC needs to stay the fuck away.

Nicktendo86

TCRS

Banned
M7btMt8.jpg

Deffo sounds louder than the other engines. Some are speculating that that means wasted energy but I think Honda are cooking up something special. YouTube videos have the sound muted and apparently they cut the car out and coasted to the pits on purpose as they don't want people in the pit lane to hear the engine. Very odd...
Well Boullier said the architecture and layout of the engine are pretty much final, software and such is the bulk of work left. Wonder if the sound plays a big part in the optimization left.

Very much doubt it'll end up like that.
That's up to Mercedes, really. Given the characters in Ferrari (Marchionne) and Red Bull (Horner/the owner), they're not happy with the current situation.

OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! Alonso did unfollow Ferrari on Twitter.
And he followed 24hoursoflemans.

DBT85

That's up to Mercedes, really. Given the characters in Ferrari (Marchionne) and Red Bull (Horner/the owner), they're not happy with the current situation.

And there are other votes that are happy with it, or at least don't want it going stupid.

Bernie wants v12s at 25000 rpm, Horner just wants last year's engines back, which incidentally he also complained about, and Ferrari will bitch and whine until they win again.

What do they propose to do if they set a new set of rules and get stomped again, maybe by Honda this time?

Honda have joined because of this change, Merc are still here because of this change. Everyone agreed to these rules in the first place and only want it changed because they fucked up and understandably Merc don't want to bow down because they didn't.

Deffo sounds louder than the other engines. Some are speculating that that means wasted energy but I think Honda are cooking up something special. YouTube videos have the sound muted and apparently they cut the car out and coasted to the pits on purpose as they don't want people in the pit lane to hear the engine. Very odd...

All the engine makers will want as much info about that test unit as possible and that sure includes the sound of it.

And yes, excess sound is wasted energy, Audis engine guys said it themselves when making the diesel for their lmp1 R10 car.

The drivers actually found it weird to drive because they could hear the transmission more than the engine.

operon

And there are other votes that are happy with it, or at least don't want it going stupid.

Bernie wants v12s at 25000 rpm, Horner just wants last year's engines back, which incidentally he also complained about, and Ferrari will bitch and whine until they win again.

What do they propose to do if they set a new set of rules and get stomped again, maybe by Honda this time?

Honda have joined because of this change, Merc are still here because of this change. Everyone agreed to these rules in the first place and only want it changed because they fucked up and understandably Merc don't want to bow down because they didn't.

All the engine makers will want as much info about that test unit as possible and that sure includes the sound of it.

And yes, excess sound is wasted energy, Audis engine guys said it themselves when making the diesel for their lmp1 R10 car.

The drivers actually found it weird to drive because they could hear the transmission more than the engine.
All this is just the usual bluster Ferrari Ave Renault why to catch up on the engine front they get that there will be no more talk about engines just broken wind tunnels and sackings

Dead Man

No agreement on engine freeze. New meeting in mid-Dec.

FFS.

2016 rules completely open (probably).

I wish.

Sweet clip, you can tell he's not in PR mode by the tone of his voice. Why do people hate Lewis again?

It's so whiny fans have a talking point.

Was Ricciardo's run not featured that much in the race? From last to fourth would surely make watching worth it :(

Not even a little bit. Damn shame, too. Understandable, but a shame.

At least if the rules allow development they will be able to do that, so we shouldn't see such a dominant season. I get the argument about then better design should have an advantage, but motorsport has always been about copying good ideas.

Shaneus

Why would fernando actually unfollow ferrari....pretty petty of him
Well, it's true to life. Ferrari will be following McLaren next year, just as they will be following RBR, Mercedes, Williams and probably FI.

Unless they're being lapped.

Not even a little bit. Damn shame, too. Understandable, but a shame.
Kind of understandable, but given that Hamilton had the WDC sewn up when it was clear Rosberg wasn't going to get any points, you'd think they'd mention or follow it.

Dead Man

Kind of understandable, but given that Hamilton had the WDC sewn up when it was clear Rosberg wasn't going to get any points, you'd think they'd mention or follow it.

He was already about where he finished by that point, I think. But yeah, more mention of it would have been nice.

Addnan

Why, it was pointless. Ricciardo whether he finished 4th or 18th would have played zero role in anything that was important to the weekend. Yeah, he overtook some shit cars and made it to 4th when Vettel couldn't but it didn't look like anything particularly special especially when there was a championship to be decided.

Dead Man

Why, it was pointless. Ricciardo whether he finished 4th or 18th would have played zero role in anything that was important to the weekend. Yeah, he overtook some shit cars and made it to 4th when Vettel couldn't but it didn't look like anything particularly special especially when there was a championship to be decided.

You are following racing for the wrong reasons. A great drive is a great drive. I expect you to stop watching as soon as the championship is finalised next year.

Shaneus

You are following racing for the wrong reasons. A great drive is a great drive. I expect you to stop watching as soon as the championship is finalised next year.
Pretty much what I was going to post. Even when Vettel was dominating in 2011, it didn't make Button's drive at Montreal in 2011 any less exciting.

duckroll

What is interesting in individual races and what is relevant to the championship are not always the same things. Sometimes they are if the championship contenders are racing each other throughout a race. Sometimes one of them is a dud and the other is cruising in front and that is more boring than anything else during a race. Alonso and Button were also non-factors in the championship too. That doesn't mean him and Button having that scrap in the middle of the race wasn't really thrilling to watch.

Ricciardo going from the pitlane to 4th is an achievement, especially when he doesn't even have the best car on the grid. If he were more famous, there would have been a lot more focus on his run during the race. I'm not too worried about it though, since he's going to shine more and more in the future. His time will come.

Nicktendo86

Is a real shame that McLaren are having so many electrical problems but like others have said it is good that they have these issues now so they can hopefully iron them out and hit the ground running in Jerez. Saying that, I thought they would be able to do that here after the shakedown in Silverstone...

Top Bottom