• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

I can. Axing Magny-Bore was one of the few good decisions made. That said, doesn't France have another circuit that doesn't suck? That is weird. PEACE.

I wasn't speaking about Magny-Cours specifically. Just historically speaking.

Magny-Cours indeed put on some dreadfully boring races when it wasn't raining, but I actually kind of liked it from a spectacle point of view. Mega fast first ess, incredible turn-in on the other two.

Absolutely nowhere to pass outside of the back straight. I mean nowhere.

Similar situation to Imola as Juicy said.

DRS would have been a life saver. At Magny-Cours in particular.

I don't like Magny-Cours either, but Paul Ricard could be good:

It's owned by Bernie. I think he bought it with the intention of leasing it out to a promoter, but I'm not sure what happened. I think he was hoping the government would pay for the race.

I don't like Magny-Cours either, but Paul Ricard could be good:

paul-ricard.jpg

Needs bigger runoff areas.

Wow if this is legit:

Not informed

Meanwhile, although he was photographed in plain clothes in the Ferrari garage on Tuesday, Alonso's successor Sebastian Vettel was reportedly unhappy with the Italian team on his first day of work at the Abu Dhabi test.

That is because when asked by Germany's Sport Bild what he thought of Mattiacci's departure, Vettel appeared to have not been told the news first-hand.

"Is it true?" he asked the correspondent.

Protip: Distrust any and all rumors regarding FER.
AFAIK VET has a say in his teammate @ FER, so I highly doubt BOT.

So the car and engine for 2015 are going to be amazeballs and not only challenge the Mercedes, but also easily dominate the rest of the field?

Awesome.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This photo of Vettel will serve us very well going forward.

Pimpwerx

I wasn't speaking about Magny-Cours specifically. Just historically speaking.

Magny-Cours indeed put on some dreadfully boring races when it wasn't raining, but I actually kind of liked it from a spectacle point of view. Mega fast first ess, incredible turn-in on the other two.

Absolutely nowhere to pass outside of the back straight. I mean nowhere.

Similar situation to Imola as Juicy said.

DRS would have been a life saver. At Magny-Cours in particular.

It's owned by Bernie. I think he bought it with the intention of leasing it out to a promoter, but I'm not sure what happened. I think he was hoping the government would pay for the race.
Great point about Magny-Cours and DRS I'm curious to know how it would've faired given the length if the straights. It might have made it serviceable instead of being the dedicated circuit version of Valencia. PEACE.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Between Renault's shit engines, Grosjean getting an even worse car with that engine, JEV getting axed and of course Bianchi, it's been a terrible year for anything related to Formula 1 in France...

Well, should be better in 2015 with Grosjean in Mercedes powered car. And then there will be also Pastor in Mercedes powered car....

Shaneus

Very true, actually:
Sebastian Vettel may have breached his Red Bull contract by spending F1 test day in Ferrari garage
His contract with Red Bull Racing does not run out until five days after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, meaning he was still very much a Red Bull driver when he was consorting with Ferrari engineers and personnel.

However, Red Bull’s motorsport boss Dr Helmut Marko conceded that, while it technically represents a breach of contract, it is unlikely they will pursue legal action against their former favoured son.

“Legally, it’s not okay,” Dr Marko told Auto Bild, “but I could not care less.”

The team’s technical chiefs were another matter, and Marko said it is they who blocked Vettel from taking part in the end-of-season test for fears that he would be able to give Ferrari’s technical department a direct comparison of the two cars.

duckroll

Hahaha. <3 Marko.

There's no way Red Bull will do anything I think. Vettel isn't really hurting anyone, it's just a technicality. He's moving on to Ferrari like he always wanted, he gave Red Bull a bunch of championships. Whatever.

Okay, I take that as a no. Too bad.

Can you spill some beans around the current state of Ferrari and what is going on there right now? And how their project is going?

Hammer24

Banned
FER has been in constant disarray now for several months. LdM is now at Alitalia, Matiacci is crying in a toilet stall somewhere wishing he´d never left the good ol´ US of A.
Fiat has no idea how to run that shop, and whom to put in charge. Everyone is looking busy, keeping their heads down, to save their jobs.
Right now one can´t shake the feeling that its a ship without a captain, first mate (or anyone in charge whatsoever), that lost its rudder a couple months ago, and there is no one to tell this fact - the sailors fear to walk the plank and find this worse than the drifting behemoth.
I do have the feeling, they hope for VET being some kind of savior, that takes command in a way MSC did back in the days. Who tells them how to develop the car and in what direction.
Enginewise FER should be fine - if they come to a solution to split their turbo merc-like. But that's just the combustion engine, everything electric is a total dog. If they can´t get the temps down (see turbo split), they´ll have to design a new one from scratch.
Merc is now @ ~ 160-180hp, the others are lucky to get ~150hp once in a while.
So for 2015 I´d say their better off than MCL. At least they already know what's not working.

Hammer24

Banned
M didn´t want the job, but you don´t say no to the Fiat bosses. If he had, he´d been replaced rather quickly. From the Fiat perspective, he´d been a stopgap solution anyway. But there are not many Italian talents of the caliber to lead such a team.
Going outside (read: foreign) is always the last step they´d take, thus they asked for Brawn as he is at least a known quantity.
LdM moved on his own, when it became clear he was going to get ousted anyway. He didn´t want to wait for that, as it would have tarnished his rep.

Sometimes i shake my head at how f1, basically high end boys with toys, gets so insanely political.

I feel for mattiaci i like him and i think hes been screwed over most of all.

If it werent for vettel id find it hard to keep supporting ferrari now ldm is gone i think he was a vital part of the character they had built up (not just in the f1 side).

There are two reasons for the current state of Ferrari:

- Their dismal 2014 campaign;
- Marchionne's vision for Ferrari, splitting Ferrari from FCA and floating 10% of the company, which LdM disagreed, and LdM left for better pastures after being the present-day Enzo Ferrari (regardless of its F1 team, Ferrari is a very successful company compared to where it was when Enzo Ferrari died) for more than 20 years. Not having the buffer that FIAT provided and a strong character like Luca (who was at a point, before the young Elkann was ready, Chairman of FIAT, so he was a strong buffer against any interference) and a non-present chairman (Marchionne has more things to do than deal with F1) will only make Ferrari a more political place with more shareholders.

Button's performance this year has no bearing on whether McLaren will keep him - lol, they're a bigger joke than Ferrari. Too bad Honda are lumbered with them for the next 10 years :(

jey_16

Banned
crazy to see how far McLaren and Ferrari have fallen since 07/08....the new rules really did screw them over, i'm suprised they didn't realise it at the time when they agreed to them.

DBT85

They both thought they be ok and didn't realise they are broken internally to different degrees. Ferrari had some great people like Aldo Costa and fired him. He then walks to Merc and makes the best chassis in a season of new regs.

Ark

Ferrari and McLaren will be back before long. In the mean time, I'm loving having competitive teams that aren't the usual McLaren - Ferrari battle.

NHale

Even if they still had Aldo Costa, I don't think that Ferrari could give him the right work environment. It seems pretty toxic there.

Everyone knows that the problem is not one person. It is the entire development process especially after they lost the huge advantage of being able to use Fiorano as their test for new pieces. Make new piece in the morning in Maranello, test it on the track in the afternoon. Everyone knows that now Ferrari can't be fixed as easily as it was during Schummy early years because they can't test 250 days per year like they used to.

The perfect example of the true Ferrari problems is that during the V6 early development Tombazis asked Luca Marmorini to make a smaller PU with less power because it would be compensated with aerodynamics gains due to the smaller PU size. Basically Tombazis, the aero team leader, asked Marmorini to fuck up the only thing you can't remake because of the engine freeze just so he could get better aero efficiency.

Where was the supervision here? Of course the aerodynamics leader wants better aerodynamics but in a normal developmental process there is a project leader that decides the best for the entire car and especially minimizes risk for the long haul. And anyone knowing that there is a engine freeze period in place, knew you couldn't take huge risks with engine development. Ferrari decided they could compromise the engine for aero and the decision was taken by Tombazis not Domenicali. That to me tells a lot why Ferrari is completely fucked.

Just booked my tickets for Hungary (gold 4, which should hopefully see some action thanks to DRS). Might try and do Monza again next year as my friend hasn't been there and Bernie has been running off at the mouth about replacing it.

Though I might not, given how shitty Ferrari are likely to be doing.

Mastah

Unilever join Williams:

Williams is pleased to announce that it has signed a new multi-year partnership agreement with the global consumer goods company Unilever, beginning in 2015.

Unilever will use the unique platform of Formula One to further brand awareness for its leading performance deodorant brand, Rexona. The Rexona logo will appear on the sidepod, front wing and front wishbones of the Williams Mercedes FW37, as well as the team environment and apparel.

http://williamsf1.com/Team/Media/Ne...-New-Partnership-with-Unilevers-Rexona-brand/

They switched from Lotus to Williams? Good move on their part, but Lotus losing more money can't be great.

Everyone knows that the problem is not one person. It is the entire development process especially after they lost the huge advantage of being able to use Fiorano as their test for new pieces. Make new piece in the morning in Maranello, test it on the track in the afternoon. Everyone knows that now Ferrari can't be fixed as easily as it was during Schummy early years because they can't test 250 days per year like they used to.

The perfect example of the true Ferrari problems is that during the V6 early development Tombazis asked Luca Marmorini to make a smaller PU with less power because it would be compensated with aerodynamics gains due to the smaller PU size. Basically Tombazis, the aero team leader, asked Marmorini to fuck up the only thing you can't remake because of the engine freeze just so he could get better aero efficiency.

Where was the supervision here? Of course the aerodynamics leader wants better aerodynamics but in a normal developmental process there is a project leader that decides the best for the entire car and especially minimizes risk for the long haul. And anyone knowing that there is a engine freeze period in place, knew you couldn't take huge risks with engine development. Ferrari decided they could compromise the engine for aero and the decision was taken by Tombazis not Domenicali. That to me tells a lot why Ferrari is completely fucked.

Of course it's not just one person. Even Alonso said that.

I know the story about the engine, but I'm wondering why Marmoni didn't stand up and took the fight to a higher level. I mean, if he did then it's entirely on the management. When they fired Marmoni, he also said that he just did what he was told, which sounds like a bad excuse. But the thought that after so many years of aero problems, Ferrari could magically come up with a mind blowing aero concept that is good enough to compensate for a weaker engine&#8230; that's just ridiculous.

Mastah

Porsche Motorsport &#8207;@PorscheRaces 6m6 minutes ago

Welcome to the #porsche919hybrid family @NicoHulkenberg to race in 2015 @24hoursoflemans and Spa @FIAWEC @PorscheNewsroom

Yes! Now I'm waiting for Alonso to be confirmed, c'mon!

Must be why McLaren haven't announced Alonso yet, he must have signed a Porsche contract before they came sniffing and they don't want him to honour it, so behind the scene tussling by all parties, but in the end the blackmailer will come out on top.

Top Bottom