• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Mastah

B3W7NFICEAA3-6w.jpg:orig

Yea... no.

And there are other votes that are happy with it, or at least don't want it going stupid.

Bernie wants v12s at 25000 rpm, Horner just wants last year's engines back, which incidentally he also complained about, and Ferrari will bitch and whine until they win again.

What do they propose to do if they set a new set of rules and get stomped again, maybe by Honda this time?

Honda have joined because of this change, Merc are still here because of this change. Everyone agreed to these rules in the first place and only want it changed because they fucked up and understandably Merc don't want to bow down because they didn't.
Renault, Ferrari and in the future Honda have the majority of votes necessary (doesn't have to be unanimous for 2016) to make it happen. The threat is real, Mercedes need to stop acting like dicks on the engine freeze just because they have the advantage, otherwise they will lose that advantage and spend a lot more money. It's hard to understand why they are so hell bent on restricting such a new technology (TBH, rules were poorly written, freezing such a new tech especially when everyone's talking about it being the future is pretty stupid) other than competitive reasons.

And like I said, Red Bull and Ferrari aren't going to let Mercedes have 3-4 seasons of complete dominance, so yeah I think if Mercedes doesn't concede for 2015 (or another Mercedes team vetoes) 2016 is a free-for-all. Changing to a new engine is out of the question, the FIA wants these engines.

Fucking hell, are they testing that stupid LED?

Zeknurn

Mastah

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 33s34 seconds ago

#F1 Radio clampdown also scrapped from 2015 rules. Drivers & engineers allowed to talk unrestrictedly about whatever they like. #AMuS

LOL

Juicy Bob

It was a stupid thing to introduce mid-season. The radio ban would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that the cars are so ridiculously complicated to drive.

The fact that not a single investigation came from the radio ban suggests that there was no point having it in the first place anyway.

DBT85

Only thing that should have been in the radio ban was telling drivers where to brake or what gear to use etc. All the other stuff they tried to ban was ridiculous.

Renault, Ferrari and in the future Honda have the majority of votes necessary (doesn't have to be unanimous for 2016) to make it happen. The threat is real, Mercedes need to stop acting like dicks on the engine freeze just because they have the advantage, otherwise they will lose that advantage and spend a lot more money. It's hard to understand why they are so hell bent on restricting such a new technology (TBH, rules were poorly written, freezing such a new tech especially when everyone's talking about it being the future is pretty stupid) other than competitive reasons.I

And like I said, Red Bull and Ferrari aren't going to let Mercedes have 3-4 seasons of complete dominance, so yeah I think if Mercedes doesn't concede for 2015 (or another Mercedes team vetoes) 2016 is a free-for-all. Changing to a new engine is out of the question, the FIA wants these engines.

But the tech isn't frozen. Any of 92% of this year's units can be changed for next year, they just have to choose what 48% to do. They didn't bitch thus much when the last gen engines were actually frozen!

2016 will not end up as a free for all. It just won't happen.

The FIA might say that you can do more work mid season, but they'll never vote for a free for all.

Hammer24

Banned
I would have thought they were all doing that sort of stuff. They do audio analysis and ultra high definition photography as a matter of course, so thermal cameras make sense.

Not like they were trying to hide the fact she was a Ferrari employee!

Up to now they only had contracts with Italian photo journalists. But they probably don´t trust those with dedicated equipment like that. :p

But the tech isn't frozen. Any of 92% of this year's units can be changed for next year, they just have to choose what 48% to do. They didn't bitch thus much when the last gen engines were actually frozen!

The FIA might say that you can do more work mid season, but they'll never vote for a free for all.
Yes but it's not a mature technology where the law of diminishing returns can apply.
We all agree that those that are behind will always bitch and those ahead want to keep the status quo but regardless of who is ahead it was pretty stupid to freeze such a new and (in theory, in reality not so much) road-relevant technology, considering they had 2 weeks of testing before the PUs freeze and the millions they spent. But I'm sure some were arrogant (Renault) to think that was pragmatic.

At the end of the day, Renault and Ferrari will do everything in their power and their political ability to close the gap they have to Mercedes.

operon

Only thing that should have been in the radio ban was telling drivers where to brake or what gear to use etc. All the other stuff they tried to ban was ridiculous.

Of course it would end up like this, this is just a bargaining thing, a threat from the others

itsgreen

No chance, probably second time they run that car...

First will probably be a few km in a shake down next week on some runway...

I expect they'll only do 200km tops, across all days...

Completely new engine, in a 'new' car. Don't expect too much.

My bad. I was wrong.

Zeknurn

@JeanEricVergne: Despite a good season & 22 pts, I'll not drive anymore for Toro Rosso in 2015. Thanks for those years. Let's go for another big challenge.

Shame. They should have put him in the Red Bull instead of Ricciardo.

Mastah

As expected JEV leaves Toro Rosso:

Jean-Eric Vergne ‏@JeanEricVergne 3m3 minutes ago

Despite a good season & 22 pts, I'll not drive anymore for Toro Rosso in 2015. Thanks for those years. Let's go for another big challenge.

Shame. They should have put him in the Red Bull instead of Ricciardo.

U w0t m8?

Mastah

He deserved a chance in the main team as he was the better driver of the two.

“I was struck by the feedback he was able to give to the team”.

“It was incredible how he recalled the behaviour of the machine even hours later,” said Furbatto. “At 300kph he had the time and the intellect to think about the management of the car, which is typical of great quality.

“The other driver [Jean-Eric Vergne] was very limited in his feedback, so Daniel was always the point of reference. But I have seen before that drivers able to give so much information were not always the fastest. But my doubts soon disappeared — qualifying in Bahrain in 2012 left everyone speechless,” he explained.

Furbatto said Ricciardo initially had some weaknesses: the race starts, the opening laps, his management of disappointment, his entries to the pitlane.

“But in winter testing in 2013 he seemed much more determined,” he revealed.

“His feedback was a little reduced but he had become very strong in prioritising development. In the races he said things like ‘Understood. No more talking from now on’,” said Furbatto.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/09/03/ricciardo-showed-special-talent-from-day-one-at-toro-rosso/

I don't think Toro Rosso and Red Bull think the same as you, but hey, opinions.

Staab

I don't think he's overrated, he struggles a bit in qualifying but his racecraft is mostly excellent, sadly he's been plagued with mechanical issues and collisions that were not his fault which have dragged him down a bit in the global picture.
He beat Ricciardo in his first year, went almost even in the second and handily beat Kvyat this year.
JEV is a good bloke and I'll be sad to see him go, just like Buemi...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Between Renault's shit engines, Grosjean getting an even worse car with that engine, JEV getting axed and of course Bianchi, it's been a terrible year for anything related to Formula 1 in France...

Between Renault's shit engines, Grosjean getting an even worse car with that engine, JEV getting axed and of course Bianchi, it's been a terrible year for anything related to Formula 1 in France...

I still can't believe things are creeping towards 10 years without a French grand prix.

DBT85

Hopefully Lotus can do better next season with the Merc engine and a less shit car.

Zeknurn

I don't think Toro Rosso and Red Bull think the same as you, but hey, opinions.

As Staab said, results say otherwise. If Franz Tost also wanted him to stay I have a feeling that Red Bull is focusing on promoting drivers they can market the hell out of rather than on pure driving merit.

But hey it doesn't matter now.

Juicy Bob

I can. Axing Magny-Bore was one of the few good decisions made. That said, doesn't France have another circuit that doesn't suck? That is weird. PEACE.
Yeah, I always found Magny-Cours to be a pretty crap venue for F1 - same as Imola.

Good tracks, for sure. Just not great F1 venues.

Uh oh...

EU Commission is challenging #F1 contracts on urgent request of Labour Party member Anneliese Dodds. AMuS: http://ams.to/WN

Protip: Distrust any and all rumors regarding FER.
AFAIK VET has a say in his teammate @ FER, so I highly doubt BOT.

Isn't he a Merc boy?
Well I'm sure Ferrari are hedging their bets. Raikonnen isn't going to suddenly set the world on fire. Bottas is a sure bet, but they need to produce a good car.

Top Bottom