• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

They both thought they be ok and didn't realise they are broken internally to different degrees. Ferrari had some great people like Aldo Costa and fired him. He then walks to Merc and makes the best chassis in a season of new regs.

There was no doubt that Ferrari had talent. But since SD was put in charge he was crap and tearing the team apart little by little. LdM's effort to Italianise the team was idiotic to say the least. The ousting of Todt, Brawn and Schumi for no reason whatsoever except seeing them growing too powerful within Ferrari.

McLaren on the other hand is a mystery! They've always been THE team to bounce back no matter how shit the start of their season was. Ron decides to step aside to focus on road cars and shit started splattering everywhere.

Oh come on, Alonso didn't sign for Porsche... yet.

I'm reading the WEC commentators basically confirmed The Hulk and Alonso for Le Mans during the Bahrain race, but soon shut up about it after their slip up?

The original rumour from Speedweek? linked Button, Alonso and The Hulk with Porsche / Le Mans 2015. Porsche have denied more than once that Button will drive for them, but when he's confirmed out of McLaren maybe that will change? Button, Alonso and The Hulk in the same team would make me watch one of these god awful endurance races.

Wow, surprised (but not shocked) at the Hulkenberg news. Le Mans is going to be amazing next year. If Alonso races in Le Mans then his manager and himself have mad negotiation skills.

But it just shows how shitty F1 has become when drivers are pushing for Le Mans (although IMO Le Mans is bigger than any GP. Only thing above winning Le Mans is winning the F1 championship).

Wonder if it will be a car only of F1 drivers or will they be split between 3 cars.

Anyway Le Mans can't come any sooner.

TCRS

Banned
Sometimes i shake my head at how f1, basically high end boys with toys, gets so insanely political.

I feel for mattiaci i like him and i think hes been screwed over most of all.

well he did seem more commanding than Dominicali. Dominicali was just like 'guys can you please put in a little more effort? kkbyeforsure'. it seemed like he didn't have the team under control and no respect in the lower ranks.

Spanish motorsport commentator on twatter says there's another Le Mans surprise to come.

Alonso must have Ronbo by the balls...

Marca says there will be an announcement about Alonso's future on Monday.

Nicktendo86

These quotes are veeeery interesting, especially the third paragraph. One of these people must be Alonso of course, who could the others be?

Boullier's optimism is also partly rooted in the restructuring of McLaren's technical team that he has undertaken since arriving in Woking. The team developed the MP4-29 pretty well across the season, and Boullier believes the combination of an enhanced McLaren technical structure and Honda will surprise the sceptics.

"Don't underestimate the McLaren power as well," Boullier says. "It may not have delivered performance on track the last two years, but the power is still there. With what we have done, McLaren is back.

"This is why a lot of people – and some we cannot name here – have been seriously convinced about what we are doing. Even if there is some pain going through, they know this is the right place to be for the future."

This future didn't have the brightest start in Abu Dhabi this week, but if McLaren and Honda are worried, they are doing a very good job of looking relaxed about it.

Shaneus

Holy shit, Sauber didn't score any points this year? Fucking hell. They need KK back.

Edit: Interesting paragraph:
With the Pirellis tolerating less slip angle than the Michelins and having a tendency to fall to pieces if provoked too much, Alonso has been gentler in his initial steering input in recent years. However, he has continued to use his feet to manipulate the car on entry. For most of his career, Alonso has had a tendency to briefly tap the throttle (up to about 5-10% throttle) at the end of the braking phase, just before arriving at the apex. This helps to rotate the car into the corner, setting it up for a straighter and therefore faster exit, which is particularly important with the monstrous torque engines of 2014. This is a stylistic choice, which doesn’t suit every car or driver. Ricciardo is another fan of the gentle throttle tap, while Hamilton uses a style more closely aligned with Schumacher’s, progressively releasing brakes, dialing in steering, and easing in throttle to achieve a neutral premeditated slide at the apex all in one fluid movement, rather than jabbing the car into sliding with the throttle. Bottas doesn’t tap the throttle, but gets on it very early, introduces it progressively, and then reacts to any excess oversteer generated on exit. Raikkonen has typically been closer to Hamilton/Schumacher in his throttle application and much prefers a car to respond sensitively to his inputs on corner entry, rather than needing blunt manipulation.

Mastah

The team still has to decide who will join Fernando Alonso (although the Spaniard has still not yet been officially confirmed) but the choice seems to be between Jenson Button, Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne. There has been talk of Telefónica coming in to sponsor the team with its Movistar brand and in recent days Ron Dennis was spotted in Denmark. He is believed to have been in talks with Anders Holch Povlsen, the owner of the fashion retail business Bestseller, who is reckoned to be worth around $4.8 billion from apparel and accessories sold under 11 different brand names. Holch Povlsen has been a supporter of Kevin Magnussen for several years with his Jack & Jones brand and is already a McLaren sponsor with the asks.com brand. He is also big on environmental causes and owns more than 130,000 acres in Scotland, on which he is planting trees.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/11/28/dennis-goes-to-denmark/

So basically if they can squeeze money from Denmark and Magnussen, Button is out. "We want two best drivers" and "we will study all the data and then choose" my ass. Ron is so full of shit.

Hammer24

Banned
So basically if they can squeeze money from Denmark and Magnussen, Button is out. "We want two best drivers" and "we will study all the data and then choose" my ass. Ron is so full of shit.

He has to somewhere find the money Honda is willing to pay for BUT.

Lego is releasing a McLaren model next year so I think it's going to be Magnussen, and it always has been.

Goldrusher

Hmm.

There's 24h kart race underway in Dubai as we speak.

One of the teams ("Puntonas") consists of Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne.

The Spaniard entered a team under the name of Puntonas with himself, his Ferrari engineer Andrea Stella and McLaren test driver Stoffel Vandoorne all taking to the track where they came up against the UAE’s best leisure kart drivers, along with a host of international teams.

The Puntonas drivers had very little track time, relative to their rivals, nevertheless Vandoorne qualified 14th, and then he managed to make his way into the top six within the first hour of the race.

CU5C24911.jpg

10477884_864742200225946_2174202640691979904_n.jpg

10712994_864691820230984_8897146626530942109_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/DubaiKartdrome
http://www.dubaiautodrome.com/tracktalk/live-timing-2/

Goldrusher

Carlos Sainz Jr will race for Toro Rosso next season.
source: http://www.scuderiatororosso.com/article/sainz-race-scuderia-toro-rosso

Scuderia Toro Rosso is pleased to announce that Carlos Sainz will join the team with immediate effect. It means that our driver line-up for the 2015 season is now established as Max Verstappen and Carlo Sainz.

The 20 year old Spaniard took the standard route into motorsport, winning the Asia-Pacific KF3 karting title in 2008 and two years later he made his single-seater debut in Formula BMW, before moving up the ranks through Formula Renault 2.0, British Formula 3, then GP3 in 2013. This year has seen Sainz become the youngest ever winner of the World Series by Renault 3.5 Championship. Last week, Carlos drove in the Abu Dhabi test for Infiniti Red Bull Racing.

Carlos Sainz:
"I am really happy to have landed the drive with Scuderia Toro Rosso. Ever since I have been part of Red Bull's Young Driver Programme, this has been my aim and I want to thank Red Bull for putting their faith in me. I have had a very successful season in World Series by Renault this year and now I am looking forward to taking the step up to Formula 1. I tested for a day with Toro Rosso last year and I liked the atmosphere in the team. In the next few months I will be working hard on my preparation, ready to get in the cockpit in Jerez for the first test of next year. It will be nice to make my "official" debut as a Formula 1 driver in my home country!"

Franz Tost:
"With Carlos Sainz joining Max Verstappen in our driver line-up next year, we continue the Toro Rosso tradition of providing youngsters from the Red Bull Junior Driver Programme with their first steps in Formula 1. I have watched Carlos progress through the junior categories, always improving as he moved higher up the ladder, culminating in a well-deserved win in this year's World Series. However, I also remember the day's testing he did with us at Silverstone in 2013 in the STR8. He really surprised me and his engineers that day, with his mature approach and his speed."

mrklaw

MrArseFace

A team like mclaren with big support from Honda should not be giving sponsored seats :/

Carlos Sainz Jr will race for Toro Rosso next season.

I think Sainz might be a disappointment. From what I have seen he specializes in doing a Vettel; qualify on pole and drive off into the distance. On the occasions where he has found himself in the midfield he has not impressed me at all. Needless to say, he is unlikely to land the Toro Rosso on the front row regularly.

Mastah

What a joke. Magnussen will be squashed like a bug by Alonso.

Boss™AntonioBoselli ‏@antonioboselli 40m40 minutes ago

BREAKING: SEBASTIAN VETTEL ON FIORANO TRACK DRIVING AN F2012 WITH WHITE HELMET (photo by @annacapella) #skymotori

B3md6NKIMAADLvU.jpg:orig

I wonder what Vettel is thinking after testing Clifford, I guess something along the lines "how the hell Alonso was capable of challenging me to the title in 2012 in this POS", lol.

I wonder what Vettel is thinking after testing Clifford, I guess something along the lines "how the hell Alonso was capable of challenging me to the title in 2012 in this POS", lol.
Why must people insult Clifford like that. He wasn't that ugly. He either thinks he's going to pull a Schumy or realized he's never going to win another race.

What a joke. Magnussen will be squashed like a bug by Alonso.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was quite happy to drive a car with less torque again, compared to the 2014 cars with the new power units which were destroying his rear tires because of his driving style.

Fuck this shit, fuck McLaren

Nailed it!

I just don't see the logic in keeping Magnussen in a race seat next season, the only thing guaranteed is him being on the receiving end of a vicious consecutive beating by a member of F1's OAP club.

Honda pls! Buy some shares and eject Ronbo out of McLaren Racing.

The ideal scenario would be to dump/farm Magnussen and pair Alonso and Button for the next two seasons. The Stoff can dominate GP2 in 2015, then live and breathe McLaren in 2016, learn from two of the best before he replaces Button.

Why did McLaren dump Paffett? A place for Magnussen or are Honda bringing Kobayashi with them as a test driver?

kiyomi

Probably because Paffett has limited to no real world experience of F1 cars in the past 6 years or so and there are an abundance of drivers who have that experience, just lying around with nothing to do.

Top Bottom