• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Risgroo

According to McLaren we should get an announcement today

bjfRsFj.png

Will probably happen sometime this week, unless they've clarified further?

Ark

Alonso tweeting gym pictures and saying he's got two months to get back to 100% or something. Announcement has to be happening this week.

itsgreen

Will Buxton
@willbuxton
Massive news about to hit that could have a huge influence on the path feeder series drivers take. Hugely positive.

9:48am · 1 Dec 2014 · Twitter for Android

I wish they could implement a system where teams at the bottom could get a bit of extra cash if they take on the winner of GP2 and/or other series.

GP2-winners have basically disappeared after the last couple of seasons.

Take on a GP2-winner - lots of money
GP2-runner-up - maybe half as much
F3 winner - even less
...and so on.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am really curious to see how Vettel will perform outside of Red Bull. This will probably make or break the image drawn of him in the F1 history books, and that's very likely why he is doing it. I can imagine that he is genuinely annoyed by the wide-spread opinion that he is "just" a good driver who got lucky with dominant cars and underperforming team mates.

duckroll

I am really curious to see how Vettel will perform outside of Red Bull. This will probably make or break the image drawn of him in the F1 history books, and that's very likely why he is doing it. I can imagine that he is genuinely annoyed by the wide-spread opinion that he is "just" a good driver who got lucky with dominant cars and underperforming team mates.

Well, what did this season tell us?! :)

ramparter

Banned
Italian press reminds me of the greek press here regarding football (soccer). So funny to see them praise players they were bad mouthing in the worst way before.

DBT85

The same thing it told us about Kimi?

Kimi moved into a team that he's been away from, against a highly political, very fast, well proven and seasoned opponent.

Vettel stayed in a team he's been in for years and won 4 back to back WDC and WCC and got beaten by a relative kid quite convincingly.

Dilly

Banned
Decision about Alonso's teammate will be made in McLaren board meeting the 4th of december according to Autosport.

Aiii

So not worth it
The latter can be explained by them karting together, but I would love Stoffel Vandoorne to get the drive. Good driver and having another Dutch speaking driver is, of course, great in itself.

DBT85

Just don;t get why, if you're Alonso, you pick a rookie over a known quantity like Button. Assuming he has any input at all.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just don;t get why, if you're Alonso, you pick a rookie over a known quantity like Button. Assuming he has any input at all.

Why would you need Button? Alonso is a 13-year F1 veteran, he doesn't need anyone else "developing" a car for him, he wants his car.

The rookie is there to learn and eventually replace Alonso when he's retiring a few years down the road. Why would a team like McLaren want two old guys in their cars? Old driver + young driver makes MUCH more sense.

DBT85

Why would you need Button? Alonso is a 13-year F1 veteran, he doesn't need anyone else "developing" a car for him, he wants his car.

The rookie is there to learn and eventually replace Alonso when he's retiring a few years down the road. Why would a team like McLaren want two old guys in their cars? Old driver + young driver makes MUCH more sense.

Well, Alonso won't care about a rookie taking over, all he'd want is a good car for himself.

And he knows he'll beat Button, If he gets a rookie he might just get Hamilton'd or worse, Ricciardo'd.

From Alonsos perspective Button surely is the better choice. He can help develop the car better than any rookie can and Alonso knows he can beat him.

From McLarens long term point of view, a rookie is the better choice, though if they want WCC then Button again would be better as he'll finish more races than a rookie.

Ark

Don't forget that Button is more marketable than Alonso in particular markets. Magnussen seems to have nothing going for him except Dennis' blessing.

Idk, Button seems like the obvious choice from the team's perspective. Even if they take Magnussen, we're only going to be having this very same conversation in twelve months time when Vandoorne is ready to move into F1 should he win the GP2 title.

pants

First time in ages I click on this thread, and yet again here you folk are trashing two guys with more than 4 championships each, unironically. Well done

Nicktendo86

Rumour has it Ferrari and Renault are late with their 2015 engines and Renault have failed to come up with a split turbo design.

Oh dear.

Here's a video from Ferrari of Vettel's debut in Fiorano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Y47PhY1PY

Awesome thanks.

I'm so excited for next season. I hope if Merc still dominates we at least get a good fight between Ferrari, Redbull and McLaren.

Rumour has it Ferrari and Renault are late with their 2015 engines and Renault have failed to come up with a split turbo design.

Oh dear.

uh-oh. How could they be fucking late? they knew their engines were shit A YEAR A GO!!!!!!!

Oh dear.
How did they fuck it up again? They fuck it up, bitch about fucking it up and then when half of the the engine gets unfrozen they fuck it up again. Stop fucking up! If Honda doesn't get a competitive engine then they all deserve to be lapped by Mercedes again.

That even great drivers can struggle when the car is not working for them.

He was in his 40s. Age was absolutely a factor, he was smashing into the back of cars on track. Merc Schumacher was not the spectacular Schumi who took it to Newey rocketships in inferior cars. Even still, he got that surprise pole at Monaco, which counts for something.

Top Bottom