• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Allison, Tombazis and Rory Byrne (helping in some capacity). So definitely not a hapless engineering team.

They have a lot of ground to catch up, but I have a feeling it's mostly to do with PU than actual chassis.

Nope. Tombazis and Fry are to leave Ferrari, although of course they had a say in the 2015 design.

James Allison and Simone Resta are responsible for the 2015 car.

The car was so shit that Alonso made hand waving gestures at it in Abu Dhabi, they're not magically going to pull a decent car out for next year with the way things are going there.

The Red Bull was a great example of a strong aero package somewhat compensating for the crappy engine.

They stopped development early, I believe. The car, at the start of the season was quite capable, and a clear step ahead of all non Mercedes/RBR cars (recalling races in China and Malaysia).

Nope. Tombazis and Fry are to leave Ferrari, although of course they had a say in the 2015 design.

James Allison and Simone Resta are responsible for the 2015 car.

But, as you pointed out, the 2015 concept will still have been influenced by their ideas.

Dilly

Banned
They stopped development early, I believe. The car, at the start of the season was quite capable, and a clear step ahead of all non Mercedes/RBR cars (recalling races in China and Malaysia).

But, as you pointed out, the 2015 concept will still have been influenced by their ideas.

Which still isn't all that impressive to be honest.

Besides, we already have heard statements leak through about the 2015 car being shit.

Nicktendo86

Yeah they probably were best of the rest but thats not really saying much and we know their simulator says the 2015 car is worse! When Alonso even says fuck this and heads back to Ron Dennis you know they must be in trouble.

Dilly

Banned
In other news, Qatar want an F1 race but Bahrain won't let them.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/320135/ecclestone-bahrain-can-block-qatar-race/
"I made a deal with the people in Bahrain and they said, 'If we are going to be something new in this area, which we are, will you give us a guarantee you won't put another race on in the area, in the Gulf?'.

"I said yes. Typical Ecclestone handshake deal with the Crown Prince."

Ecclestone added that Abu Dhabi had to seek permission from Bahrain prior to its arrival in 2009.

"I explained to them the position that I was in and said you'd better ask the people in Bahrain if they are happy," Ecclestone said.

"If they are happy, I'm happy. If not, we won't. So they got together and that's what happened.

"Then this other race [in Qatar] has been proposed and I put the people together and said 'Can you sort this out between you?' and they haven't managed to do it."

Thanks Bahrain!

Hasney

With how the world cup is going over there and how the stadiums are being built, this is an actual thank you form the bottom of my heart to Bahrain.

Zeknurn

But the biggest news yesterday from Bernie's presser is that he's paying the FIA $40 million every year not to write the rules and lay back. I'm sure Jean Todt, like the bon vivant that he is, doesn't really mind.

How is this not illegal? EU please save us.

Dilly

Banned
10427221_828867680504852_3721063695456964633_n.jpg

:lol

DD

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117125

AUTOSPORT TEAM PRINCIPALS' TOP 10 2014

1. LEWIS HAMILTON (194 points)
2. FERNANDO ALONSO (155 points)
3. DANIEL RICCIARDO (135 points)
4. VALTTERI BOTTAS (119 points)
5. NICO ROSBERG (115 points)
6. FELIPE MASSA (55 points)
7. SEBASTIAN VETTEL (53 points)
8. JULES BIANCHI (44 points)
9. JENSON BUTTON (40 points)
10. DANIIL KVYAT (28 points)

WHO VOTED

Christian Horner, Red Bull
Toto Wolff, Mercedes
Federico Gastaldi, Lotus
Marco Mattiacci, Ferrari
Eric Boullier, McLaren
Vijay Mallya, Force India
Monisha Kaltenborn, Sauber
Franz Tost, Toro Rosso
Claire Williams, Williams
Graeme Lowdon, Marussia

* Caterham not included due to multiple changes of management

Rosberg all the way down in 5th, sheesh. Seb down in 7th. Kimi not even cracking the top 10. The new formula confirmed the superiority of Alonso and Hamilton, but it certainly didnt flatter Seb or Kimi.
Im really eager to see Lewis' qualifying form next year, he was a dissapointment in that area last season. Yes, there were failures beyond his control and Rosberg's shenanigans in Monaco, but he got straight up beaten in Q3 at least a half dozen times by Nico.

malyce

He has a very narrow operating window and only shines during the inters>slick conditions which Hamilton and Alonso are also very good at, so I don't get why he's so highly praised for it. Oh, I remember, it's because of Canada 2011. The drive that all Button fans cling to. Button is known for capitalizing on other drivers' mishaps and playing it safe. He's average.

Don't forget, also by far the best wet weather driver on the grid. Not that it counts for much in real terms (especially in development) but it's something.

Until Button provides a drive like Hamilton at Silverstone 2008 or Suzuka 2014 I'm not going to give him that title :p

What about Circuit Gilles Villeneuve 2011?
Fucking clockwork.

One good wet weather drive makes the guy the best wet weather driver on the grid.. BY FAR.. lol

Lest we forget that a lucky call and Vettel binning it at the end made it what it really was.

Jenson best drive in mixed conditions was Hungary 2011, not Canada. That was classic Button. Incidentally, Lewis totally blew that particular race when he came in for the wrong tyres. And that decision was his own, not Mclarens.

mclem

Fucking clockwork.

One good wet weather drive makes the guy the best wet weather driver on the grid.. BY FAR.. lol

Lest we forget that a lucky call and Vettel binning it at the end made it what it really was.

I mean, it's hardly conclusive, but he genuinely is right up there when you look at various stats:

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/who-was-the-best-wet-weather-driver/

Admittedly the one where he comes top - difference between likelihood of winning a wet race than a dry one - could also be accounted for by being somewhat poor in the dry!

Nicktendo86

Reuters reporting that Ron has bought the shares to make him majority owner, needs to still stump up the cash by Jan though or the shares will go back.

So looks like the driver announcement was held up by the shares issue is probably true but that the shareholders wanted Button and Ron wanted Kmag was bullshit as Ron is very much in charge but has signed Button.

malyce

Not sure why I'm lumped in there when my message is in the same vein as yours :p

I was just following your lead kind sir. If there are any issues they'll be dressed at the next F1GAF Button "haters" association meeting.

Rosberg all the way down in 5th, sheesh. Seb down in 7th. Kimi not even cracking the top 10. The new formula confirmed the superiority of Alonso and Hamilton, but it certainly didnt flatter Seb or Kimi.
Im really eager to see Lewis' qualifying form next year, he was a dissapointment in that area last season. Yes, there were failures beyond his control and Rosberg's shenanigans in Monaco, but he got straight up beaten in Q3 at least a half dozen times by Nico.

Yeah, going into this season everyone was expecting him to comfortably snatch the pole trophy. Nico came correct on Saturdays. His one lap pace cannot be denied. Should be interesting to see how it plays out next year. I'd really like to see that Merc gap close by mid season.

I noticed he kept locking his tyres when Nico was putting him under pressure. I dont know if it was the set up of his car or what, but Im thinking Rosberg's driving style allows him to drive at the limit more comfortably with the brake by wire system.

Next season, I really need for Sebastian to do well. I believe him to be a top 5 driver, and theres no better way to prove that than by putting that Ferrari in positions it has no business being in, like Alonso did almost every race. I give him a pass for the 2014 season because it was such a wild departure from the blown diffuser style of driving and his car reliability was not all there. Excuses, I know, but Im willing to accept them for one year.
Next year? Game time, Seb. Show us something.

Reuters reporting that Ron has bought the shares to make him majority owner, needs to still stump up the cash by Jan though or the shares will go back.

So looks like the driver announcement was held up by the shares issue is probably true but that the shareholders wanted Button and Ron wanted Kmag was bullshit as Ron is very much in charge but has signed Button.

Read the article and it's a bit confusing. There's an agreement to transfer shares back to Ron and that will be executed next year (once he pays one assumes) but then Bernie says Ron controls Mclaren.

Nicktendo86

Read the article and it's a bit confusing. There's an agreement to transfer shares back to Ron and that will be executed next year (once he pays one assumes) but then Bernie says Ron controls Mclaren.
It is a bit confusing but I understood it as the shares have gone to Ron and he is now majority owner BUT he has yet to pay for them and has a deadline of January which if he misses the shares will go back. How I understood it anyway!

Edit: or maybe not, I think it is all assuming he gets the money. I'm confused lol

As with the above comment, from what's claimed to have happened, it merely sounds like an agreement to transfer the shares has been made. Until he's paid up, nothing has changed.

It is a bit confusing but I understood it as the shares have gone to Ron and he is now majority owner BUT he has yet to pay for them and has a deadline of January which if he misses the shares will go back. How I understood it anyway!

Edit: or maybe not, I think it is all assuming he gets the money. I'm confused lol

The first part of the article is nothing new: there's an agreement to sell a percentage of shares to Ron. Ron has a deadline to pay otherwise the agreement is void.

But I don't think the Bahrainis and TAG would pass along the shares in good faith and wait for payment at a later date. I think it's a legally binding contract to sell the shares.

That Bernie comment is a bit confusing (as per usual).

Mastah

Max Verstappen ‏@MaxVerstappen3

Since I was a young kid I was racing around with this number.So I thought it is nice to keep that in F1 aswell! #33

B4q15PwIgAA62Mv.jpg:orig

Fun fact: that's almost twice his age, lol.

B4q2xR5IAAEp-oo.jpg:orig

:D

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Not only did he agree to buy the shares from Mansour Ojjeh (25%) holder, who was known to want out and was an expected move after their falling out last year, but also has reached an agreement with Mumtalakat (The Bahrain Royals, 50% majority shareholder) to buy enough of a portion of their holdings to make Dennis the indisputable majority owner of Mclaren, this was unexpected.

Now he has until early next year to raise the £250m he needs to complete the purchase.

Should he manage that, whilst maintaining majority ownership then the whole idea of Ron's influence being on the wane is out of the window, get used to Ron, he's the man now dawg! :p

If there was a battle going on behind the scenes at Mclaren, then the battle wasn't just over Ron's influence, but over control as a whole, this announcement pretty much states that Ron won, and won big.

This, along with Ron's statements about the signing of Jenson leads me to believe he was pretty straight, and he was the one who ultimately decided to re-sign him.

I think bearded Ron taught Geography at my School :p

Not only did he agree to buy the shares from Mansour Ojjeh (25%) holder, who was known to want out and was an expected move after their falling out last year, but also has reached an agreement with Mumtalakat (The Bahrain Royals, 50% majority shareholder) to buy enough of a portion of their holdings to make Dennis the indisputable majority owner of Mclaren, this was unexpected.

Now he has until early next year to raise the £250m he needs to complete the purchase.
That was previously known. What's unclear is the percentage.

Should he manage that, whilst maintaining majority ownership then the whole idea of Ron's influence being on the wane is out of the window, get used to Ron, he's the man now dawg! :p

If there was a battle going on behind the scenes at Mclaren, then the battle wasn't just over Ron's influence, but over control as a whole, this announcement pretty much states that Ron won, and won big.

This, along with Ron's statements about the signing of Jenson leads me to believe he was pretty straight, and he was the one who ultimately decided to re-sign him.
He stills needs to bring the cash and it's unclear if the other shareholders are obligated to sell (the BBC says no obligation, the reuters article talks about an agreement).

paskowitz

But that is the sort of engine technology people like Honda and Mercedes are trying to sell in their road cars.

I was told by one of the manufacturers that no one could afford to build that engine in a road car.

If not literal technology just the fact they are building those type of engines for F1 helps to sell their road cars.

I don’t know. I think what helped Mercedes is winning the championship and having massive exposure.

Lol... #marketing

itsgreen

Give me a piece of paper, I would instantly go back to V10's or V8's.

People who say otherwise haven't visited a track last year.

My moms Polo from 99 is almost louder. GP3 is much much louder than F1. I could easily make a call while they drove 15m beside me..

After the race, Mclaren was asked whether it was the pitwall or Lewis' call on tyres, Mclaren said it was Lewis'.

So much for Button's sixth sense - interestingly, the team made the call regarding tyres in Button's case.

A great call by the team to put me on the prime [soft] tyre when they did

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/31/button-team-great-call-pits/

Couldn't find a quote or anything suggesting Lewis made his own call regarding tyres, but found this:

Hamilton, struggling to hear his instructions with a faulty radio, did pit for intermediate tyres, which proved to be a crucial error

Not really Hamilton's call but more like lack of communication with his dogshit engineer at the time (Andy Latham).

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/31/2011-hungarian-grand-prix-report/

hadareud

The Translator
Give me a piece of paper, I would instantly go back to V10's or V8's.

People who say otherwise haven't visited a track last year.

My moms Polo from 99 is almost louder. GP3 is much much louder than F1. I could easily make a call while they drove 15m beside me..

Louder means fuck all. I don't miss the mopedey whine of thr V8's in the slightest.

Top Bottom