• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Hammer24

Banned
B4kile9IIAAusk1.jpg

Am I dreaming or what?

"Fakest smiler in the world fondles demented old man"

I'm not sure why this would be his last season in F1. Unless he performs really, really abysmally compared to Alonso, they'll likely keep both drivers while developing the new car.

They have Alonso to develop the car.

Once you bypass a driver for your team because you deem him not good enough for the main drive, he's done. You don't have a driver in your team for a full year, then demote him only to promote him again, yeah, that's not happening.

That happened to a certain Fernando Alonso and a certain Felipe Massa. Maybe F1 is different now, with pay drivers being the norm, but KMag's F1 career is far from over.

Aiii

So not worth it
That happened to a certain Fernando Alonso and a certain Felipe Massa. Maybe F1 is different now, with pay drivers being the norm, but KMag's F1 career is far from over.

Did it?

Fernando LEFT Renault and came back. (He was not bypassed, he chose to leave the team).

Massa was a Ferrari plant, he wasn't chosen by Sauber, but placed there in return for continued support.

Again, Magnussen is not coming back to a main drive at McLaren next year, or the year after that. They don't deem him good enough to drive now, they won't suddenly change their minds next year based on a test drive here and there. Mind you, I never said his F1 career was over, btw.

Mastah

Will Buxton ‏@willbuxton 1m1 minute ago

JB signed contract only last night according to RD

James Allen ‏@Jamesallenonf1 2m2 minutes ago

Ron Dennis targetting "domination" in future. @alo_oficial signed "many weeks ago" @JensonButton signed last night #f1 #McLaren

Did it?

Fernando LEFT Renault and came back. (He was not bypassed, he chose to leave the team).
FA was a Minardi driver and moved to Renault as a test driver in 2002 and then became race driver replacing Button for 2003.

Massa was a Ferrari plant, he wasn't chosen by Sauber, but placed there in return for continued support.
Yes, but Massa did spend one year in the sidelines in between his Sauber years.

Again, Magnussen is not coming back to a main drive at McLaren next year, or the year after that. They don't deem him good enough to drive now, they won't suddenly change their minds next year based on a test drive here and there. Mind you, I never said his F1 career was over, btw.
Fair enough, I still think Mag has a shot next season at a Mclaren seat, they have too much invested in him and in Vandroone.

Aiii

So not worth it
FA was a Minardi driver and moved to Renault as a test driver in 2002 and then became race driver replacing Button for 2003.

You are not understanding what I'm saying, I believe. McLaren had this guy as their driver. They demoted him. They won't promote him back, they obviously didn't think he was good enough to be one of their drivers. Especially when you consider Vandoorne had a better or at the very least equal shot at getting the drive instead of Magnussen.

Minardi making Alonso drive and Renault starting him as a test driver is not related. Renault is not Minardi, they never demoted him. They employed him, made him a test driver (and this is ignoring the fact that in 2002 a test driver could actually drive a lot and get experience like that, instead of just once or twice a year like now) and then gave him a drive.

What I'm saying is that once you decide a driver isn't good enough after a full year of working with a guy, the chances of you ever going "you know what, Magnussen is a great driver, lets replace Button with him" or even "Lets not give Vandoorne a chance, lets try Magnussen again" is astronomically small. The only exception I can see is Magnussen going elsewhere, improving significantly for a few years and then getting hired back. But a 2016 drive at McLaren? Not going to happen.

You are not understanding what I'm saying, I believe. McLaren had this guy as their driver. They demoted him. They won't promote him back, they obviously didn't think he was good enough to be one of their drivers. Especially when you consider Vandoorne had a better or at the very least equal shot at getting the drive instead of Magnussen.

Minardi making Alonso drive and Renault starting him as a test driver is not related. Renault is not Minardi, they never demoted him. They employed him, made him a test driver (and this is ignoring the fact that in 2002 a test driver could actually drive a lot and get experience like that, instead of just once or twice a year like now) and then gave him a drive.

What I'm saying is that once you decide a driver isn't good enough after a full year of working with a guy, the chances of you ever going "you know what, Magnussen is a great driver, lets replace Button with him" or even "Lets not give Vandoorne a chance, lets try Magnussen again" is astronomically small. The only exception I can see is Magnussen going elsewhere, improving significantly for a few years and then getting hired back. But a 2016 drive at McLaren? Not going to happen.

Yeah now that Ron confirmed Button on a at least 2 year deal KMag is screwed (although contracts are made to be broken). Very suprising
total Ron capitulation
The point I was trying to make is under certain circumstances a driver can race for a team, become reserve driver and then become race driver again. Mag is well liked at Mclaren and considering he's a protege of Mclaren I can see him racing again. But the whole multi-year deal for Button is surprising to me.

TCRS

Banned
C2pXYUw.gif

fucking finally. hopefully McLaren get their shit together and Alonso can finally win races and maybe a championship. I love that guy.

lol at button tho. should have been sent into retirement.

Hasney

C2pXYUw.gif

fucking finally. hopefully McLaren get their shit together and Alonso can finally win races and maybe a championship. I love that guy.

lol at button tho. should have been sent into retirement,

Well it'll need at least 3 years or another big rules shakeup for McLaren to win things again and Button was the right call if it was purely between him and KMag.

B4kile9IIAAusk1.jpg

Am I dreaming or what?

The picture is fantastic, because Ron fucking hates facial hair.

But I'm glad the bullshit with all this fake drama is finally over. Hopefully we get more interesting things to discuss in the coming weeks.

Like, who the hell is going to drive for Caterham?!

Zeknurn

So Button is signed for two years. Yeah... Magnussen better start looking for a seat at another team asap because McLaren has done what they can to end his career.

Filben

Both hav signed contracts for more than 1 year according to ron. imagine alonso has some exit clauses and stuff
According to "Auto, Motor, Sport" he has an exit clausel that allows him to leave if McLaren won't finish within top 3 by the end of 2016. If that's true it implies Alonso got a contract of more than 2 years.

spuckthew

He scored the most points of anyone in the latter-half of 2011 and very clearly took fight to Hamilton (until Lewis hit his prime in 2012 tbf).

I've seen this comment thrown around before as if it were fact, and quite frankly I've never been bothered by it enough to check, but I did now just think how this could be possible when 2011 was Vettel's second most successful season in arguably one of the most dominant F1 cars ever built, so I checked.

2011 was a 19-race season, so if we're being pedantic the 'latter-half' of the season is half-way through the German GP. Button retired in the '11 German GP, so I'll start from the Hungarian GP, which Button won.

Vettel - 176 pts
Button - 161 pts

Vettel outscored Button by 15 pts in the last 9 races. However, Vettel retired from the Abu Dhabi GP so we should surely count the German GP to make it one DNF apiece (but only because it was the race right before the half-way mark).

Vettel - 188 pts
Button - 161 pts

2011 was Vettel's year in every respect. Button had a great season, don't get me wrong, but to say he was the highest scoring driver in the latter-half of that season is simply false.

Tagged to hide derailment, and because no-one gives a shit about my ramblings.

On-topic...

Glad Button is staying with McLaren. It's great to have two successful and championship-winning British drivers in the field. Looking forward to seeing how he competes against Alonso. Potential on-track battles are a mouthwatering prospect.

2+1 for both, would be my take. Whereas the "1" is an option for BUT, and a get-out for ALO.

Honestly I'd be really surprised if Button was on anything more than a 1 year contract (with another year as an option on McLaren's side) as he seems to have no leverage. If at the end of 2015 he's done a good job and they want to retain him another year then I wouldn't expect them to have a struggle in doing so. Where else in F1 would he go?

A that's not a slight against Button, he'd be my pick for the seat for the time being, I just don't see why McLaren/Honda would feel the need to tie him up for so long upfront. Just look at the approach Red Bull took with Webber.

2011 was Vettel's year in every respect. Button had a great season, don't get me wrong, but to say he was the highest scoring driver in the latter-half of that season is simply false.

Yeah it's just a mistake. Button was applauded in in the latter half of 2011 for being best of the rest. Vettel was uncatchable.

Hammer24

Banned
Honestly I'd be really surprised if Button was on anything more than a 1 year contract (with another year as an option on McLaren's side) as he seems to have no leverage. If at the end of 2015 he's done a good job and they want to retain him another year then I wouldn't expect them to have a struggle in doing so. Where else in F1 would he go?

A that's not a slight against Button, he'd be my pick for the seat for the time being, I just don't see why McLaren/Honda would feel the need to tie him up for so long upfront. Just look at the approach Red Bull took with Webber.

When you look at this, there is no combined MCL/Honda perspective here. Both drivers are clearly Honda drivers, and nothing else. And Honda promised BUT a golden autumn for his career (their very words). They wanted him to be their development driver, and they got him. It´ll be BUT last engagement in F1, so its not about perspective or something.
The question should be, what will Honda do after two years?
That´ll largely depend how it goes for them. Right now it got off to a rocky start. Shaky ground with MCL, engine woes, and no second customer team emerged. They will do anything they can to have their first 2 years in as stable an environment as possible. BUT would have to steal the proverbial golden spoons to lose his job after the next season.

When you look at this, there is no combined MCL/Honda perspective here. Both drivers are clearly Honda drivers, and nothing else. And Honda promised BUT a golden autumn for his career (their very words). They wanted him to be their development driver, and they got him. It´ll be BUT last engagement in F1, so its not about perspective or something.
The question should be, what will Honda do after two years?
That´ll largely depend how it goes for them. Right now it got off to a rocky start. Shaky ground with MCL, engine woes, and no second customer team emerged. They will do anything they can to have their first 2 years in as stable an environment as possible. BUT would have to steal the proverbial golden spoons to lose his job after the next season.

Yeah I guess if you remove McLaren from the equation then it's easier to understand a 2+ year contract.

You're right about the third year being an interesting question. What if at the end of those two years, they feel they're on the crest of a truly competitive year (a la Mercedes at the end of 2013). With Vandoorne waiting in the wings, would then really be the time to gamble on an inexperienced driver? Even if it is the 'right' time for Vandoorne. I guess that's something Honda would be less concerned about, but you'd have to think McLaren might think otherwise.

However, if Vandoorne is placed at another F1 team in 2016, he could potentially prove his value in time for that decision.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Still have a hard time believing that Alonso will do better at McLaren than at Ferrari. At least in 2015.

Nicktendo86

Still have a hard time believing that Alonso will do better at McLaren than at Ferrari. At least in 2015.
He will drive out of his skin as usual. Question is whether the car will be any good.

My hunch is yes. Not beating the mercs but best of the rest. Predict a red bull chassis combined with a good pu. Might blow up a lot though.

malyce

I've seen this comment thrown around before as if it were fact, and quite frankly I've never been bothered by it enough to check, but I did now just think how this could be possible when 2011 was Vettel's second most successful season in arguably one of the most dominant F1 cars ever built, so I checked.

2011 was a 19-race season, so if we're being pedantic the 'latter-half' of the season is half-way through the German GP. Button retired in the '11 German GP, so I'll start from the Hungarian GP, which Button won.

Vettel - 176 pts
Button - 161 pts

Vettel outscored Button by 15 pts in the last 9 races. However, Vettel retired from the Abu Dhabi GP so we should surely count the German GP to make it one DNF apiece (but only because it was the race right before the half-way mark).

Vettel - 188 pts
Button - 161 pts

Tagged to hide derailment, and because no-one gives a shit about my ramblings.

On-topic...

Glad Button is staying with McLaren. It's great to have two successful and championship-winning British drivers in the field. Looking forward to seeing how he competes against Alonso. Potential on-track battles are a mouthwatering prospect.

You didn't have to spoiler tag it, the mental gymnastics and the flat out lies some these Button fans come up with to place him in the same sentence as Hamilton and Alonso, or even Vettel and Kimi is hilarious. Jenson will always be an average driver. That doesn't take away from the fact that he's one of the coolest guys on the paddock. If only his coolness could be converted to skill. Watch Alonso embarrass him next year.

Nicktendo86

Button is a safe pair of hands. To call him average is unfair I would say but he will hoover up points. Lacks is strait speed but has great racecraft, the duels with Alonso last year was fantastic, clean racing.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Nice one Jense! :D

The tears and vitriol of the haters are both delicious. :p

Hammer24

Banned
... If only his coolness could be converted to skill. ...

Look, there simply are different kinds of skill sets F1 teams are looking for. Only very few drivers combine several of those.
In BUT´s case, he has a very good and very special skill set, which is highly valued in F1 circles. And that's his ability to develop a car.
This will not always translate into awesome race action, but that's not necessarily necessary.

So in short: can´t we all just get along?! ;-)

Hasney

I'd actually agree with most of malyce's post if he didn't bring up Kimi. There's no reason why Button and Kimi shouldn't be in the same sentence. Hell, there's an argument to be made for who is actually better in my eyes.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Button is a safe pair of hands. To call him average is unfair I would say but he will hoover up points. Lacks is strait speed but has great racecraft, the duels with Alonso last year was fantastic, clean racing.

I hope that he will find that elusive grip that he is searching for two seasons

Hasney

So Alonso has 'unfinished business' with getting a world title with mcLaren.

I assume he'll be going back to Ferrari one day then to finish that business too?

Aiii

So not worth it
I'd actually agree with most of malyce's post if he didn't bring up Kimi. There's no reason why Button and Kimi shouldn't be in the same sentence. Hell, there's an argument to be made for who is actually better in my eyes.

Agreed, placing Kimi anywhere above Button is a bit delusional. Though I agree that neither are in the Alonso/Hamilton tier.

dubc35

Glad this nonsense is done with. McL better not fuck up having ALOBUT.

The picture is fantastic, because Ron fucking hates facial hair.

But I'm glad the bullshit with all this fake drama is finally over. Hopefully we get more interesting things to discuss in the coming weeks.

Like, who the hell is going to drive for Caterham?![
/I]

More like is Caterham going to make it to the grid next year.

malyce

And that's his ability to develop a car.

So in short: can´t we all just get along?! ;-)
MP4-28?
MP4-29?

Remember him relying on Lewis' setups back at McLaren? Every weekend this dude whines about the fucking car. He has a very narrow operating window and only shines during the inters>slick conditions which Hamilton and Alonso are also very good at, so I don't get why he's so highly praised for it. Oh, I remember, it's because of Canada 2011. The drive that all Button fans cling too. Button is known for capitalizing on other drivers' mishaps and playing it safe. He's average.

Top Bottom