• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Hammer24

Banned
Surely that loophole will have been closed by 2015.

I´m not so sure of this. The manufacturers do have good reasons for further developing their engines; and so has the FIA if they want to keep the sport competitive. As long as they feel they have the cost side under control, I think they´re going to keep this open.

Zeknurn

x7DKj9n.jpg

olore

Thought you guys would appreciate this, a puzzle I found for nothing at a flea market. Car, (swiss?) driver and season ID please... I haven`t looked too far into it yet

Pimpwerx

Thought you guys would appreciate this, a puzzle I found for nothing at a flea market. Car, (swiss?) driver and season ID please... I haven`t looked too far into it yet

I'm awesome at puzzles, but those solid white sections are gonna be a chore. Unless there's a subtle gradient I can't see, that's gonna be pure shape matching. Otherwise, awesome. Puzzles are awesome, and so is vintage F1. :D PEACE.

Zeknurn

@tgruener:
#F1 Meeting on new engine rules for 2016 (or 2017) tomorrow at Geneva. Decision expected end of month. AmuS (German) http://t.co/SJSzp2pXVU
#F1 Ecclestone asked for more power (>1000 hp), more noise, less costs. Fuel flow limit could be increased. ERS-components standardised.
Look of #F1 cars to be more aggressive in future. Bigger tires. Less aero. Harder to drive. Changes probably not before 2017.

Force India has confirmed that it will launch its 2015 Formula 1 car in Mexico on January 21.

The Silverstone-based squad previously announced in November that it would present the VJM08 at the Soumaya Museum in Mexico City at the end of January, but did not say a specific date.

The event will be supported by America Movil, with Telmex, Telcel and Claro remaining sponsors of the Force India team for 2015.

It will be streamed online, enabling fans from around the world to watch the car reveal. The team is the first to confirm its launch date for this year.

DBT85

I'm guessing just increase the fuel flow to allow 15,000 rpm, maybe give them another PU a year to cope with the extra stress on all components thanks to the higher speeds.

19" rims with low profiles wide tyres. not sure what they'll do regarding the wings to reduce aero. Maybe limit depth of each.

Couple of news:

- Sauber get a 10 million dollar discount on PU for signing Marciello as 3rd driver, Nasr/Ericsson bring in 40 million;

- Transition to the new building of Ferrari has been delayed to February;

- Ferrari is making big corrections to their 2015 car;

- Williams and RBR lost 20 points of downforce for their 2015 car.

itsgreen

Jo Siffert
Yardley Brabham
Italian Grandprix 1971
Looks like Parabolica.

ramparter

Banned
Hmm, this will probably put McLaren in a worse position, I expect Honda pu to be the less reliable. But I could easily be proven wrong.

dubc35

Meh, look similar but red/white are Honda's colors. White is also Japan's racing color. The white in the Honda logo is Mt Fuji as well.

Meh, look similar but red/white are Honda's colors. White is also Japan's racing color. The white in the Honda logo is Mt Fuji as well.

I know, but for Honda alone, a white background and red Mt. Fuji would make more sense. As it represents the flag of Japan and Honda's primary colour is white.

B6n09TOCIAE1awm.png

yami4ct

So Mercedes are rumoured to be going chrome and McLaren white this season.

it's happening, red and white Fuji McLaren-Honda

Would be super stoked with the Red/White Honda. Would be the second best looking car in the field after the Williams.

Sure hope the Mercedes rumor isn't true. The silver arrows had a super classy look to them this season and chrome is just a flashy mess on any car.

Mastah

Really good article from Mark Hughes about Kimi's struggles and driving style:

Ferrari’s since departed technical chief Pat Fry has worked extensively with Rӓikkӧnen and Alonso at both McLaren and Ferrari and in Austin last year he talked of their traits and their differing form of 2014. “There are two parts to it,” he said. “One is that Fernando is more adaptive anyway and the other is that the limitation with the car and the tyres specifically hurt Kimi’s way of driving. Often by the time you get the front end he needs into the car, the rear becomes a problem. To some degree on the softer compound tyres it’s not bad – look at Singapore; when he went onto super soft he found a huge amount of time. But generally with this year’s car and tyres this is the sort of problem that compounds. You start saving fuel and you lose tyre temperature and can’t get a balance, then you push and it comes back. Fernando works the car and the tyres and he can drive around problems. The harder you are on the fronts, the better you’re going to be.”

“Kimi was exactly the same at McLaren,” continued Fry. “He was always super-sensitive to the front end. When we had him and Montoya together we had about seven different front suspensions. To get the best from Kimi you need to give him the car.”

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/kimis-struggle/

DBT85

Apparently Honda/McLaren are questioning the engine ruling.

I bet Ron's face was a picture when that email came in from the FIA!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes should be in reflective chrome, so Nico could use it as mirror to fix his hair

Plus it would shine like crazy in the sun, so they could blind Ferrari/RBR/Mclaren drivers when they will lap them.

frontieruk

Mercedes should be in reflective chrome, so Nico could use it as mirror to fix his hair

Plus it would shine like crazy in the sun, so they could blind Ferrari/RBR/Mclaren drivers when they will lap them.

Surely if they just let Hammy have some spinners on his rims the chrome bling can be dropped?

DBT85

On the flip side is this going to prevent people from getting in just because they have money even when there are champions without a seat?

EG. Chilton, Van der Garde and Ericsson, D'ambrosia and Chandok each wouldn;t have qualified because their performances elsewhere were poor.

xrnzaaas

It's hilarious how a non-existing (and possibly slower and less challenging) series is more valuable than GP2 or IndyCar. Anyway that's just one of million bad decisions FIA has made over the last few years so I don't know why I'm surprised,.

itsgreen

And all because some people don't like that Torro Rosso are giving Verstappen a shot. Come on, it's obvious the kid is an extraordinary talent, no team is just gonna put inexperienced drivers into their cars because of how much fun it is...

Verstappen didn't have more sponsor money than talent and is at a team that doesn't 'need' money. But at a Caterham or Sauber a less talented driver with more money could get a shot.

On the flip side is this going to prevent people from getting in just because they have money even when there are champions without a seat?

EG. Chilton, Van der Garde and Ericsson, D'ambrosia and Chandok each wouldn;t have qualified because their performances elsewhere were poor.

I don't think people like Räikkönen or Alonso could have joined F1 when they did with those rules either. Schumacher might have had problems as well.

It's a bit silly when you can spend three years first winning some small national championship, then come second in World Series and then finally end up fifth in GP2 and you can't drive F1.

dubc35

F1 Fanatic did a review of who would/would not make it based on the new rules.

Would not have been able to debut:
Marcus Ericsson
Will Stevens

Giedo van der Garde
Max Chilton

Jean-Eric Vergne
Charles Pic
Paul di Resta

Daniel Ricciardo
Jerome D’Ambrosio

Karun Chandhok

RAI would still be able to return to F1 while MSC and KAR would not have been able to return.

RAI would still be able to return to F1 while MSC and KAR would not have been able to return.

Do the licences expire now or something?

Edit - Oh, I see it.

The new superlicence regulations also make life more difficult for drivers making comebacks following a spell out of the sport. In order to automatically qualify for a superlicence they must have started at least five F1 races in the previous year, or at least 15 races in the previous three years.

Top Bottom