• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Zeknurn

Proper pictures
iKfObZx.jpg

wSyzTkm.jpg

Are those the parts sticking off the nose/bulkhead area?

Yeah. It seems Merc are using them to aid their aerodynamics in some fashion, hence why they're so prominent. At the start of last year, Red Bull incorporated their nose camera into the nose itself (it was suspected at the time that this was to prevent a rear view from the camera), but the FIA put an end to that at some point during the season.

Leonsito

I liked the more menacing look of last years nose (In the Merc.) but this one looks more like an old school F1 car.

I suppose Mercedes took this year with caution and made evolutions only where needed, if everything works, I don't see anyone getting closer: McLaren last year with their same engine was behind Williams and sometimes Force India. Prod. and Honda bring a few steps forward everything. RBR will see great updates to the Renault engine, and I think Williams won't be able to repeat last year form.

My bet is Mercedes >>> RBR/McL >>> Williams/Ferrari/STR

I can see Mclaren getting a couple of wins, and maybe putting some pressure to RBR and Mercedes for the title, but I think Hamilton will get his 3rd, despite my love for Rosberg :(

I liked the more menacing look of last years nose (In the Merc.) but this one looks more like an old school F1 car.

I suppose Mercedes took this year with caution and made evolutions only where needed, if everything works, I don't see anyone getting closer: McLaren last year with their same engine was behind Williams and sometimes Force India. Prod. and Honda bring a few steps forward everything. RBR will see great updates to the Renault engine, and I think Williams won't be able to repeat last year form.

My bet is Mercedes >>> RBR/McL >>> Williams/Ferrari/STR

I can see Mclaren getting a couple of wins, and maybe putting some pressure to RBR and Mercedes for the title, but I think Hamilton will get his 3rd, despite my love for Rosberg :(

Another case of "CFD" eyes

All joking aside, though, the Mercedes looks so much more compact than the McLaren, and I am not necessarily talking about bulk, but it looks to have a much shorter wheelbase too.

Ark

Another case of "CFD" eyes

All joking aside, though, the Mercedes looks so much more compact than the McLaren, and I am not necessarily talking about bulk, but it looks to have a much shorter wheelbase too.

It looks more compact than even the Red Bull's of recent years have, though that may just be the livery. Either way, I will be amazed if Mercedes aren't the quickest car again.

How much of that car is new spec though? It could look totally different come Melborne.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
How much of that car is new spec though? It could look totally different come Melborne.

I am certain that we will see quite different car in Melbourne. Front and rear wing will be different, maybe even something else. Mercedes probably have a big development plan for this car and they probably started with it in second half of previous season.

Ok had a busy day and only got around to seeing the Mclaren a couple of minutes ago. WTF Final or not final livery it looks awful. It looks like a 2010 HRT. And boy is it naked of sponsors.

The Merc looks nice, but was this supposed to be the launch of the car?

Ark

Ok had a busy day and only got around to seeing the Mclaren a couple of minutes ago. WTF Final or not final livery it looks awful. It looks like a 2010 HRT. And boy is it naked of sponsors.

The Merc looks nice, but was this supposed to be the launch of the car?

Nah it's just a shakedown, they aren't doing any kind of official launch. They'll be unveiling the car on the 1st at Jerez.

Humm, what's that? Should I be offended? lol

CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamic... basically having CFD eyes means that you can interpret aerodynamic performance/car's quickness by how it looks.

'Twas a joke ;) This is usually the time of the year when a majority of posters have CFD eyes.

Leonsito

CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamic... basically having CFD eyes means that you can interpret aerodynamic performance/car's quickness by how it looks.

'Twas a joke ;) This is usually the time of the year when a majority of posters have CFD eyes.

Haha, didnt get it at first ;)

My ranking is just a feeling based on the people and changes involved un each team...

Nicktendo86

The McLaren looks tighter than the merc to me, by some margin.

I may have to eat some serious crow here but I just have a feeling Paddy Lowe may had had more influence on the new car and not in a good way.

Nah it's just a shakedown, they aren't doing any kind of official launch. They'll be unveiling the car on the 1st at Jerez.

Yeah but it could've been a private shakedown without so many pictures and angles of the car. Mercedes wanted to steal the show from Mclaren.

And that Mclaren-Honda livery gets uglier by the minute. Hope it makes up for it in pace.

RoKKeR

Just got around to watching that McLaren hype video and was laughing by the end of it.

All this teasing of a classic white/red livery and a rehash of last year's livery with some red is what we got.

Really McLaren? That's the best you could muster?

Wonder how the Ferrari design will work. The Merc nose is the current leader again.

Lol that's too true. Maybe that's why Ferrari never hired him.

They wanted him, but he turned them down.

Mark Webber claims it was an easy decision to commit himself to Red Bull Racing for 2013 - after confirming for the first time that he did hold talks with Ferrari.

Talking about offers he had elsewhere, Webber said: "There were discussions with Ferrari, but my decision was to stay here."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101118

Ooo, loving the Ferrari profile. The nose looks less steeply angled. If I had a compliant about the noses we've seen thus far, it would be that they drop off too quickly. It's not a very smooth transition.

They wanted him, but he turned them down.

Mark Webber claims it was an easy decision to commit himself to Red Bull Racing for 2013 - after confirming for the first time that he did hold talks with Ferrari.

Talking about offers he had elsewhere, Webber said: "There were discussions with Ferrari, but my decision was to stay here."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101118
Thanks for the clarification. Can't say it was a dumb decision. He's been with that team since it was Jaguar, it was his home. Either way he would've been somebodies number 2.

muteki

Bit disappointed that the Williams has a penis nose this year, when last year it was one of the better designs. So far all the other cars look better at the front.

Top Bottom