• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Gazzetta dello Sport says Alonso will take a year out if he can't secure a one-year deal at McLaren. I hope they tell him to do one:

"The first thing we have to be is massively attractive to all drivers and I hope we are very attractive to the two drivers who are currently and more than likely will be driving the cars next year."

Ronbo on Honda power:

"It is mindblowing, the engine is a piece of jewellery. They are further ahead than expected. The competiveness of the engine is without question.”

LOL

Pimpwerx

Gazzetta dello Sport says Alonso will take a year out if he can't secure a one-year deal at McLaren. I hope they tell him to do one:

"The first thing we have to be is massively attractive to all drivers and I hope we are very attractive to the two drivers who are currently and more than likely will be driving the cars next year."

Ronbo on Honda power:

"It is mindblowing, the engine is a piece of jewellery. They are further ahead than expected. The competiveness of the engine is without question.”

LOL

Hopefully Alonso doesn't have to skip another season. This would be the second time now for him. He's far too good to not be on the grid. That would be a travesty. And LOL @ Honda woofing. Talk is cheap. PEACE.

Gazzetta dello Sport says Alonso will take a year out if he can't secure a one-year deal at McLaren.

I thought that that's what he was doing. If I was Ron then it can be easy. 1 year contract for X amount, but if you decide to continue you take a 50% deal of the 1 year one

If he's not willing to take a risk then they should hedge their risk.

God I don't even have the heart to think about anything now.. My thoughts are with Bianchi

Breaking News (BFM) : Bianchi has internal bleeding (cranial region) and has been placed under artificial respiration. He could undergo a new surgery.

So Bianchi was approaching 200kph when he lost the rear and over corrected sending him off? What speeds were the others going at?

"L'Equipe reporting Bianchi's surgery is complete & he is not under respiratory assistance."
Via Tom Wilkinson's Twitter.

http://inagist.com/all/518755312611098624/
I really hope they didn't make this up. Ferrari has denied speaking to L'Equipe.
Ferrari have denied speaking to L’Equipe and have said that the previously reported statement attributed to them regarding the condition of Jules Bianchi has not come from them. “That statement was never said,” the Ferrari spokesperson Renato Bisignani has told the Guardian.

RoKKeR

Jesus christ stop embedding pictures some people in here don't want to see. It has been asked multiple times on multiple pages to not do that.

Oh no that's not good. :(

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...urgery-as-more-details-regarding-crash-emerge

Some new information has surfaced regarding the crash itself. According to credible journalist Michael Schmidt, Bianchi started to lose the rear of the Marussia and tried to correct. Like Kobayashi in practice, he overcorrected and leaped over most of the gravel trap, so the car maintained a lot of its momentum. There is apparently video of the crash, but it's being withheld for obvious reason.

Just watched on nbcsports. I hope Jules pulls though. Is the commentary team on nbcsports not at the race? So they are commentating on a race thousands of miles away? Doesn't it make sense to have commentators at the race?

Hasney

Just watched on nbcsports. I hope Jules pulls though. Is the commentary team on nbcsports not at the race? So they are commentating on a race thousands of miles away? Doesn't it make sense to have commentators at the race?

Only if it's cost effective. Since F1 isn't that popular over there, they probably feel it's not worth the money.

kvk1

Just finished watching the race. In a bit of a shock.

Gutted for Jules, I hope he pulls through.

What a terrible ending to an otherwise great race.

kvk1

To comment on the actual driving, Jenson's performance really took me back to 2011 Canada for a second there. Going on the intermediates before everyone else was brilliant, but after he took that 2nd gamble of going on the full wets before the field, I was like here we go again.

Unfortunately right after that the final safety car, and consequent red flag came out.

:/

yami4ct

I have to reiterate what others are saying regarding photo embeds. I and many other posters don't want to see them. You can link, but don't embed. I've had to add like 3 people to me ignore list for doing this. It's sucks and is pretty inconsiderate. Just don't.

Would be super expensive to send everyone to the every race, given it's a world traveling sport. That's why NBC, for instance, has one guy they send around to do live updates/interviews, while the others commentate remotely. I think it works well.

Man, super sorry that there's been so little news since I last checked in. Thoughts and prayers still with Jules.

kvk1

Also, I wonder if future weather provisions will be made for the medical helicopter? That is, if the conditions are bad enough that it can't fly somebody out of there, the race is stopped.

itsgreen

Also, I wonder if future weather provisions will be made for the medical helicopter? That is, if the conditions are bad enough that it can't fly somebody out of there, the race is stopped.

People, fuck.

I have posted this 5 times here already.

The helicopter was able to take off. They chose to use the ambulance instead for whatever (medical) reason.

It is already policy that if the helicopter can't go to an hospital the session will be halted/won't start.

kvk1

People, fuck.

I have posted this 5 times here already.

The helicopter was able to take off. They chose to use the ambulance instead for whatever (medical) reason.

It is already policy that if the helicopter can't go to an hospital the session will be halted/won't start.

Sorry, the race broadcast I watched said the helicopter couldn't take off.

Like I said I just finished watching the race, and I'm kind of distraught, so I'm just throwing out current thoughts.

itsgreen

Sorry, the race broadcast I watched said the helicopter couldn't take off.

Like I said I just finished watching the race, and I'm kind of distraught, so I'm just throwing out current thoughts.

Well you can call me an idiot, because I wasn't completely right...

Helicopter isn't absolutely necessary, see page 19 http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi....07.29_ANNEXE H 2014_publié le 29.07.2014.pdf

As far as I understand: there must be an approved hospital within 20 minutes, be it helicopter, be it ambulance...

RayStorm

I'm curious why anyone would want to shield themselves from pictures that are not particularly gruesome. I fully understand not wishing to see horrible pictures, I don't want to see that myself, but I don't think those (linked in this thread) qualify, as the only damage you can see in them is to the car.

andshrew

I'm curious why anyone would want to shield themselves from pictures that are not particularly gruesome. I fully understand not wishing to see horrible pictures, I don't want to see that myself, but I don't think those (linked in this thread) qualify, as the only damage you can see in them is to the car.

Conversely why would you want to see pictures of the mangled car of a driver that's been seriously injured - its not hard to understand why people prefer these sort of pictures are not posted inline.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Allowing vehicles like that onto track while cars are still racing (even at yellow flag speeds) does seem like it is inviting disaster. Having two drivers come off the road at the same spot soon after each other might be rare but it is possible. Rain makes it more likely, that's all, and they've been lucky not to have a situation like this before now. Has there ever been a Marshall hit by a car in a situation like this before?

I think they'll need to look at when they consider yellow flags enough and when they need a safety car, and possibly look at adding protection to vehicles. Trucks often have bars between front and rear axles to prevent cars from going under in event of an accident - maybe something similar could be done?

BigAl1992

Wasn't there a photo earlier where the car was being lifted and it looked in better shape than that?

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I suspect they took what was left of the engine cover off the car, to make sure it didn't suddenly catch fire after Jules had that massive accident. We can't see the nose of the car, which looks to be relatively intact and a majority of the damage looks like it was done to the left hand side of the car. I do recall seeing one of the marshall's carrying what looked like part of the engine cover during the race what they displayed Bianchi's name to confirm it was him that crashed.

RayStorm

Conversely why would you want to see pictures of the mangled car of a driver that's been seriously injured - its not hard to understand why people prefer these sort of pictures are not posted inline.

Natural human curiosity. Especially with limited information to understand what damage might have been done, what injuries potentially sustained. To me and (judging by people embedding the images) others it obviously is hard to understand why you would not want to see images that are not showing anything all that gruesome.

andshrew

Allowing vehicles like that onto track while cars are still racing (even at yellow flag speeds) does seem like it is inviting disaster. Having two drivers come off the road at the same spot soon after each other might be rare but it is possible. Rain makes it more likely, that's all, and they've been lucky not to have a situation like this before now. Has there ever been a Marshall hit by a car in a situation like this before?

Yes at the very same corner Martin Brundle hit a marshall and I believe narrowly missed a recovery truck. Infact almost every time there has been one of these trucks on track without a safety car he brings it up in commentary as to how unsafe they potentially are. Heavy rain that day too...

I think they'll need to look at when they consider yellow flags enough and when they need a safety car, and possibly look at adding protection to vehicles. Trucks often have bars between front and rear axles to prevent cars from going under in event of an accident - maybe something similar could be done?

Pretty sure I heard Martin Brundle on Sky Sports F1 mention how he was involved in a similar situation 20 odd years ago, where he narrowly avoided the tractor but ended up hitting a marshall as a result of avoiding the tractor (someone do correct me if I'm wrong).

EDIT: Massively beaten.

Dead Man

Please tell me are not serious?

One car hit an armco barrier, designed to absorb energy from a crash.

The other hit a mobile crane sent in to recover the 1st car.

Thats the whole point. When one car aqua-plans, history tells us its not long before another does the same thing in the same spot. Tracks with large run off's allow the driver to recover the car hopefully before another car aqua-plans along the same trajectory.

Aqua-planing into a barrier on a narrow track will nearly always require a recovery team. Sending a team on with only waved yellows on a track that was getting wetter was a gamble that risked driver & marshalls safety.

Was it really worth the risk for only a handfull off laps left racing?
Can you at least acknowledge that you should probably wait before throwing people under the bus and blaming them? Fucking hell mate, you seem to be taking joy in throwing around blame at the moment.

hitgirl

Christ, I knew there was going to be a crash this race and I heard someone could have been hurt. Had a pit in my throat the whole race and once Sutil went off I knew that was it, then I saw the medical car leave and my heart dropped. Commentary (at least Sky) had no idea what was going on. To find out someone else got caught up in that wreck, man. I really hope Jules pulls is OK. (On a weird not Martin called it like 10 minutes prior saying that tractor shouldn't be there because someone else could go off).

On another note is anyone going to the Austin race? I'm traveling to see it, we should do a Neogaf x Giantbomb meetup.

Shaneus

I8GhBwS.jpg

:(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Christ, I knew there was going to be a crash this race and I heard someone could have been hurt. Had a pit in my throat the whole race and once Sutil went off I knew that was it, then I saw the medical car leave and my heart dropped. Commentary (at least Sky) had no idea what was going on. To find out someone else got caught up in that wreck, man. I really hope Jules pulls is OK. (On a weird not Martin called it like 10 minutes prior saying that tractor shouldn't be there because someone else could go off).

On another note is anyone going to the Austin race? I'm traveling to see it, we should do a Neogaf x Giantbomb meetup.

The BBC feed with Coulthard had no idea either. You would think when the cameras kept showing Marussia they may have suspected something.

Just woke up hoping for some good news and first thing i read was about Cesaris!! What a bad week for F1

R.I.P Cesaris :(

Come on Jules. Be strong :(

Ding-Ding

Can you at least acknowledge that you should probably wait before throwing people under the bus and blaming them? Fucking hell mate, you seem to be taking joy in throwing around blame at the moment.

Taking joy out of this...Fuck you.

You must have something seriously warped in the head, if you think anyone could take any kind of joy out of this.

What happened yesterday was an accident just waiting to happen. Very similar near misses have happened before and they should have been the warning shot. Instead, the authorities and alot of the paddock just carried on thinking 'we just dodged a bullet'

Then the inevitably happens, and they play dumb acting like this was a just a freak incident. At the same time, so called 'fans' just sit there with very short memories making excuses for those who ignored the warnings. Why? Simple, they are more interested in protecting the sport than protecting drivers, marshalls etc

I really hope they didn't make this up. Ferrari has denied speaking to L'Equipe.
Looks like they did: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report...hospital-after-suffering-severe-head-injuries
The Frenchman underwent three hours of surgery late on Sunday night after being transported from the Suzuka circuit in an unconscious condition.

Contrary to some reports, he is not breathing unaided.

"We're not getting any official updates from the hospital but I understand that Jules is in a very critical condition, still fighting for his life, and I can clear up a couple of pieces of misinformation which have been picked up by the French media and a couple of outlets in the UK," Sky Sports News HQ's Craig Slater reported at 6am UK Time on Monday morning.

"I can confirm that Jules is not, unfortunately, breathing unaided. My understanding is that he is still relying on a respirator at this point to be able to breathe.

"I can also confirm that he has not undergone a second surgical procedure. My understanding is that he went one through one medical procedure at about 11pm Japanese time and he has been intensive care since then."

No further update on Bianchi's condition is expected until his parents arrive at the Mie University Hospital later on Monday.

Addnan

Yeah, BBC are also saying there are conflicting reports
Earlier reports in the French media said Bianchi was breathing on his own following surgery. However there are now conflicting accounts. BBC Sport is seeking clarification on his condition.

Who the hell was that French media. Respectable outlet or just your shitty clickbait cunts.

Top Bottom