• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Hammer24

Banned
Would Alonso really tear his Ferrari contract without some sort of agreement with another team? Really hard to believe.

He´s got an... understanding... with Honda. But no signed deal with the team.

My guess is it's down to financial details and now Ron is playing hardball to get a better deal for Mclaren and that sooner or later Honda is going to solve the issue.

The money comes from Honda anyways, there are no financial details to solve anymore. The "official" hangup is the bailout clause after a year.

I agree, lapped cars should just pull to one side and let the order sort itself out that way. Going all the way around is ridiculous.

If they go to the back and get their lap back, they have an advantage with more fuel.

If they go to the back without getting their lap back a lot of people will start complaining when a top driver has a problem in the pit or has a puncture and gets lapped by just the leader and instead of getting a chance to unlap himself he is forced to the back.

There is no good way of doing it.

DBT85

If they go to the back and get their lap back, they have an advantage with more fuel.

If they go to the back without getting their lap back a lot of people will start complaining when a top driver has a problem in the pit or has a puncture and gets lapped by just the leader and instead of getting a chance to unlap himself he is forced to the back.

But they are using a lot less fuel to do a lap under safety car and it takes ages for them all to get around and catch up so we get less actual racing as a result.

The only other option is that everyone starts the restart in the position the SC picks them up and that's the end of it.

Can someone explain why the lead car should be the one to lead the pack anyway? Why not just literally make it that the first car that gets picked up by the SC is the head of the train. No unlapping, no letting cars pass, no rearranging of the order to get 4th and 5th closer artificially.

As for Jules, I don;t like to speculate on things like this so I'll just wait for more news either way.

Aiii

So not worth it
Still no news and it's been well over 24 hours since the accident... This does not bode well, I'm getting quite worried now.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Youtube of Jule's crash. :(

Not graphic/gore, but still hard to watch, it explains the confusion that surrounded whether it was head on or side on, it was kind of both.

I can't see how he came out of that crash alive TBH, a friends mother was killed in a crash of similar nature to this, half of car impacted a rubbish skip at 50mph.

RoKKeR

Was hoping for some good news about Bianchi today. Just saw their statement about privacy which we all have to respect, but it's tough not knowing one way or the other.

Septimius

Not graphic/gore, but still hard to watch, it explains the confusion that surrounded whether it was head on or side on, it was kind of both.

I can't see how he came out of that crash alive TBH, a friends mother was killed in a crash of similar nature to this, half of car impacted a rubbish skip at 50mph.

Obviously the helmet that saved him. Also goes to show just how much energy the chassis can dissipate while preserving the driver cage. I imagine quite some compression to his spine, seen how he is more able to be compressed than the helmet is able to be cracked. Luckily. That was hard to watch. What energy.

It just goes to show how well the tire walls work. If this had been a crash into the tire wall, it'd been just like Sutil's crash.

Septimius

The issue is with the timing system. It is made in such a way that no such thing can be done. It should just be remade. You can coast around without using any fuel and still catch up, especially seen how it's all on delta time. Fuel is not an issue.

NHale

Wow....Terrible and at the same time it's incredible that no one else is hurt right now. It could have easily been a lot worse and it's already terrible.

So lucky that the marshall didn't end behind the Sutil's car when it dropped from the JCB... And the accident it seems like the helmet was one of the points of impact. Left side of the helmet, the side not shown on the pictures...

BTW Anyone saying Jules Bianchi is breathing on his own should read the recent reports. That report was already proven fake.

But they are using a lot less fuel to do a lap under safety car and it takes ages for them all to get around and catch up so we get less actual racing as a result.

The only other option is that everyone starts the restart in the position the SC picks them up and that's the end of it.

Can someone explain why the lead car should be the one to lead the pack anyway? Why not just literally make it that the first car that gets picked up by the SC is the head of the train. No unlapping, no letting cars pass, no rearranging of the order to get 4th and 5th closer artificially.

As for Jules, I don;t like to speculate on things like this so I'll just wait for more news either way.

Heh, this post reminds me of when the safety was first introduced in F1, and subsequently used sparingly/oddly/incorrectly for the next 15 years after that. Europeans seem just baffled by the safety car. The wheel does not need to be reinvented, folks. These things have been sussed out by many other series around the world. The balance of safety, fairness, and entertainment already has a winning formula. Just follow it.

Jesus fucking christ.

hitgirl

Yikes. What a terrible case of events conspiring together. It was hard to see Sutil in that video run over then take a few steps back when he noticed that something was horribly wrong. I hope he pulls through. So the process of medical evacs in F1 is: Team radio calls him no response, marshals try to engage but no response, medical car is called, remove driver from car, drive to medical office, see if they can treat on location, if not drive/helicopter to a hospital?

On a side note, I'm sure their job is very hard and they risk their lives doing what they do but every time marshals get involved they look like they have absolutely no idea in what they are doing. I wonder what their training process is like. Also when they crane out a car it's always extremely awkward, the car is swinging around and there's like 4 marshals trying to corral it.

damn, he got a double dose of bad and good luck with this impact, if the JCB had backed up any quicker the car would have speared it head on almost certainly killing him there and then.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Holy fuck, he lifted the fucking crane with his head, it's a miracle that he hasn't broke any vertebra.

The crane was probably lifted by the side pod and/or the headrest padding of the cockpit.

Nevertheless, you can definitely see his head hitting the truck and being pushed into the cockpit as a result. Horrible. He is really luck that he didn't hit the truck a few inches to the left.

Had I seen the video/gif of the crash before reading he made it through the first surgery this morning, I would have assumed he died. That crash is horrific. These cars are incredibly safe when crashing into barriers, but something like that completely changes the nature of the impact. Absolutely miracle he is even alive.

kiyomi

It's weird because it looks like it's the left sidepod that would've come into contact to lift up the crane, but then a few frames later, it looks like the roll hoop is gone, so I'm not sure what happened. Really scary.

Having seen this only reaffirms how much I want to see Bianchi okay.

DBT85

Heh, this post reminds me of when the safety was first introduced in F1, and subsequently used sparingly/oddly/incorrectly for the next 15 years after that. Europeans seem just baffled by the safety car. The wheel does not need to be reinvented, folks. These things have been sussed out by many other series around the world. The balance of safety, fairness, and entertainment already has a winning formula. Just follow it.

I quite literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Carbon fiber vs. crane is like a hot knife through butter. The roll hoop is the only thing with any structure integrity, and even that is designed more for vertical impact.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This and Massa's crash back then show how incredibly durable the helmets must be.

Top Bottom