• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Looks like engine unfreeze is in the Mercedes hands, because it needs unanimous support from the F1 Commission, before going to FIA World Motorsport council.
If they vote against it then it will be very bad for competition within the sport. Even though I support Hamilton and he is a Mercedes driver I would still like to see an unfreeze for 2015 only to give other engine manufacturers a chance to catch up. Mercedes power on the straights is just getting ridiculous and it is bad for the sport to have such a dominant manufacturer.

dubc35

FIA press conference about Suzuka is currently in progress.

> Jean Todt has received report from Whiting over Bianchi crash. Will set up panel to ensure an accident like that 'never happens again'
https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/520577105068040193

> FIA plans to take decision on how much to slow down at yellow flags away from drivers and will be controlled. Team meeting on Saturday
https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/520580548386119681

Does this mean like a remote controlled max speed? Like pit lane limiter but controlled outside the car?

DBT85

FIA press conference about Suzuka is currently in progress.

> FIA plans to take decision on how much to slow down at yellow flags away from drivers and will be controlled. Team meeting on Saturday
https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/520580548386119681

Good.

Does this mean like a remote controlled max speed? Like pit lane limiter but controlled outside the car?

I doubt very much it'll be controlled outside of the car. That would be dangerous in itself. If a driver is midway through a corner and his engine suddenly slows to 80kph there will be an accident one way or another. I imagine they'll make drivers have to use the pit limiter or something similar for the section under yellows, based on an average speed in the section with penalties for going over, but driver controlled.

Could also lead to more tactical pit stops. If the team see a sector just went yellow ahead they might pit the cars that were just past it when it started in the hope that it's cleared by the time they get out.

If they vote against it then it will be very bad for competition within the sport. Even though I support Hamilton and he is a Mercedes driver I would still like to see an unfreeze for 2015 only to give other engine manufacturers a chance to catch up. Mercedes power on the straights is just getting ridiculous and it is bad for the sport to have such a dominant manufacturer.

It'll all be for naught if the start of the season comes and they are all a bit more equal though. They have plenty of options for changes for next season even with the current regulations.

dubc35

It seems like it would be incredibly difficult to get out of the car with a closed cockpit (sans chassis formula overhaul which would probably need to be the case). What is the time limit in which they need to get out now? 3 seconds?

the mclaren's look much better here than they have all season - early signs of the prodromou effect?

if you exclude the mercedes, button is faster and more consistent than all the others on the hard tyre going off of the first two sessions

i'm optimistic and say he'll bag a podium finish

Risgroo

Don't McLaren always start the weekend better relative to the other teams though? They often seem to slide down the order come p3/quali.
Of course, this track might actually suit their car really well, a podium for JB would be fantastic. KMag looks competitive as well :)

Pimpwerx

Ron Dennis must be rubbing his hands with glee right now. Honda will be able to react on the spot to improve the engine and as a works team McLaren will be able to take full advantage of the improvements right away.

Even if they start badly McLaren could be winning races by the end of 2015.

They won't, and the mythos, that Honda will somehow step in a year late to the V6 race and somehow be competent, will be shattered faster than those who last year thought Renault would be on even ground with the Merc.

Mercedes has a year of V6 dominance over the field. They were better prepared coming in this season, and there's no reason to think they aren't capable of extending that advantage going into next season. They have more customers giving them feedback, and seems better-footed for the future, given their funding and level of technical prowess.

Macca fans should probably prepare for another 2-3 years of mediocrity before that ship is righted. Especially if they're still rocking a driver lineup of Benson and someone who manages to be slower than him. That lineup is just so pedestrian. PEACE.

Aiii

So not worth it
Honda certainly have no experience whatsoever building performance engines. Most certainly don't have any experience with V6 engines, or turbo engines.

I don't see why Honda couldn't build a proper engine in their first year back in F1, I doubt their engineers are in any way incapable or downright incompetent.

Pimpwerx

A year late to the F1 iteration of the V6. Oh, and auto correct got me. That was supposed to be competitive, not competent. And I mean at the sharp end. I expect they'll slot in somewhere between Ferrari and Renault. PEACE.

Three years and Honda have only recently got the complete unit up and running on their Suzuka dyno simulation, which gives them a few months of none stop lapping of Suzuka to iron out any kinks. The engine will be a beast but it will grenade itself more times than it completes a race :(

Nicktendo86

Don't McLaren always start the weekend better relative to the other teams though? They often seem to slide down the order come p3/quali.
Of course, this track might actually suit their car really well, a podium for JB would be fantastic. KMag looks competitive as well :)
They do, but they haven't looked as good at this point as they have this weekend. I think it it something track specific and maybe as the track rubbers in other will find more performance but there is a chance they have done something to the front I suppose.

Fingers crossed for a good weekend!

Edit: Honda has no experience of turbo engines? Really? Come on now.

DBT85

I honestly do not know how I could have made my post more obviously sarcastic.

You genuinely couldn't have been lol.

I don't think it's a given that they'll be great out of the gate though. Only 1/3 of the engines that started last year were any good.

Risgroo

They do, but they haven't looked as good at this point as they have this weekend. I think it it something track specific and maybe as the track rubbers in other will find more performance but there is a chance they have done something to the front I suppose.

Fingers crossed for a good weekend!

Edit: Honda has no experience of turbo engines? Really? Come on now.

Shhhh don't get my hopes up!

DBT85

Changes made to the track and pit lane speed limit

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116282

Russian Grand Prix officials have made changes to the kerbs at Turn 2 of the Sochi Formula 1 track.

Following the first day of action at the new circuit, there were concerns that drivers could gain an advantage by running wide on the exit of the corner to improve their entry speed in to the following high-speed Turn 3.

To prevent this happening, the FIA has approved the introduction of speed bumps to act as a deterrent, and ensure drivers do not cut the corner.

The other change to the weekend is that the FIA has decided to reduce the pitlane speed limit to 60 km/h for the remainder of the event.

The entry to the pits is quite narrow and, in a bid to prevent problems, a decision has been made not to keep the speed limit at the standard 80 km/h.

Also meeting was helpd this morning about the "virtual safety car"
"Race director Charlie Whiting has held a meeting with the teams this morning to discuss changes that could be implemented in the context of Jules Bianchi's accident in Japan.

"They are pursuing the idea of the 'virtual safety car', where in the event of a recovery vehicle on track and when race control feels any incident can be cleared relatively quickly and therefore would not normally need a safety car, the F1 cars would have to stay within a certain pre-defined lap time - they have to stay 'positive' on their dashboards.

"There will be stringent penalties for any driver not obeying. But it will not be implemented yet. The rules need to be re-written and the systems have to be implemented in the cars. There will almost certainly be a trial of the new system after first practice at the next race in Austin, Texas."

DBT85

With looooong pitlane this means one stopper race only viable option

I think the fact that the tyres apparently aren't degrading will have something to do with that. Yesterday the best laps were coming on lap 3 or 4, not 1 or 2 like normal.

Zeknurn

Track evolution is crazy.

Along with the tyres not coming online until 4 laps in means qualifier is going to be crowded. Expect penalties.

DBT85

Hamilton on the softer tyre with a 1:38.7. nearly 1 sec faster than P2 yesterday

Rosbergs best on the harder tyre was 1:40.1 I think.

BOT, ROS, MAS all go under 1:40 on their first soft laps, 0.9, 0.9 and 1.2 secs slower than HAM.

HAM spins, doesn't hit anything. Was on a faster lap. Tyres ruined. Rear end gave out.

ROS does another lap 1s slower than HAM.

BOS goes to within 0.37 secs of Ham on his 7th lap. Tyres taking ages to come in.

ROS goes 0.29 secs of HAM on lap 7. HAM only done I think 2 laps before having his spin and stopping.

DBT85

10th place is vettel, 1.6 seconds off the pace.

Only ROS and BOT managed to get within 0.3 secs of HAM, everyone else 1s or more away.

Quali is going to be fun with everyone doing loads of laps to get the tyres to warm up. Lewis looks like he should take it though.

When talking about BOT, Toto says "Engine modes question mark" with a grin. lol.

John_B

That looked like a repeat of Austria qualifying. It looks weird that the backend just snaps on a straight. Is he simply downshifting under high RPM?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
GP2 race being reduced by 2 laps due to fuel consumption demands.

Should lead to fuel saving in the F1 by that logic also which should help Hamilton and both Williams as both are best for fuel efficiency .

Ark

Woah, Hamilton on top by a solid margin in FP3. It means nothing though, Rosberg will take pole as per usual :p

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I expect Hamilton to take pole.
He seems to be able to get quick laps out of the soft tyre on first, 2nd lap where as it is taking Rosberg and others 4-5 laps to get the best time out of them.
For qualifying that should be an advantage.

DBT85

I expect Hamilton to take pole.
He seems to be able to get quick laps out of the soft tyre on first, 2nd lap where as it is taking Rosberg and others 4-5 laps to get the best time out of them.
For qualifying that should be an advantage.

Not only that, we don't know how much better Hamilton might have got on the later laps on those tyres. It's taking everyone 4-7 laps to get the best pace. Hamilton getting the very best out of them on lap 1 or 2 is unlikely. He could just be fast around the track and was already faster on his spin lap.

I reckon he could take it by half a second today.

Zeknurn

Not much overtaking in the GP3 race. Drivers had problems keeping up with the car in the front of them through the latter slower part of track which was expected to be the sector with most overtakes.

Top Bottom