• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

DBT85

He won't, but he'll no doubt finish the race at least.

As for the guy calling people ignorant for talking about closed cockpits, Alonso and Williams are ignorant. Who knew.

RoKKeR

Track looks good but man, some shallow runoff on some of these corners. Rosberg had a cheeky look at one of the walls after a long straight + right hander right in front of the bridge... going to be an interesting race.

Lach

Looks very nice location. I kinda want the GP to stay for a few years to see how the stadiums start to decay.....

hadareud

The Translator
He won't, but he'll no doubt finish the race at least.

As for the guy calling people ignorant for talking about closed cockpits, Alonso and Williams are ignorant. Who knew.

Well they are ignorant. So are you. I'm too.

By definition.

We know far too little to say whether a closed cockpit would have made a difference or whether it would or could make things worse in other situations. We're ignorant of the effects.

I understand that people tend to be prone to knee jerk reactions in difficult situations like these, but improvements will have to be researched properly before we can say that this or that should be implemented. One video of a tyre hitting a canopy (where that canopy moved significantly btw, leading me to suspect that in Bianchi's situation he'd have still hit his head even with that) is nowhere near enough.

It's always good to look at new improvements, though.

kiyomi

Meh circuit. It's amazing just how much some elevation change would actually make, but no, the circuit is flat as a pancake.

Zeknurn

@NobleF1: Impressive effort from Pastor Maldonado in FP1. Pit lane speeding at 11:03 and 11:05... That's 2000 Euro fine for Lotus

@NobleF1: Jenson Button at least kept his double pit lane speeding offences apart. 10.05 and 10.29 - with 1100 Euro fine for McLaren

DBT85

Well they are ignorant. So are you. I'm too.

By definition.

We know far too little to say whether a closed cockpit would have made a difference or whether it would or could make things worse in other situations. We're ignorant of the effects.

I understand that people tend to be prone to knee jerk reactions in difficult situations like these, but improvements will have to be researched properly before we can say that this or that should be implemented. One video of a tyre hitting a canopy (where that canopy moved significantly btw, leading me to suspect that in Bianchi's situation he'd have still hit his head even with that) is nowhere near enough.

It's always good to look at new improvements, though.

All anyone's saying is to look at it more seriously and see and not just disregard it because it's "not F1" whatever that means. As I said before, we have now seen 3 head injuries in the last few years in F1, as well as the ones in GP2 and Indycar.

That tweet was just "lol no canopy can stop 50g deceleration lol". Because of course, the tweeter knows all the facts, and has researched it thoroughly.

Plenty of drivers have withstood much higher g loads on deceleration because they are for fractions of a second. Look at all the car's that just go straight into walls. The way in which he hit was more to do with it, in my armchair opinion, than how fast he slowed down.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Was going to say that the McLaren genuinely looked to be a match for the Mercedes this weekend with both drivers putting in fastest times.
Lewis then comes along and blows them away with lap 7/10s faster.

Hasney

IIRC you're either out of a coma within a day or three, or shit is really really REALLY bad.

Eh, you do hear of those stories for people being in them for ages and popping out pretty fine. They are the exception, but there is still hope.

DBT85

Ricciardos engine popped which red flagged the session with 3 mins to go. Engine was 6.5 mins shy of retirement anyway.

Aiii

So not worth it
Eh, you do hear of those stories for people being in them for ages and popping out pretty fine. They are the exception, but there is still hope.

There is always hope, but I'm a "prepare for the worst" kind of guy I suppose.

Ruruja

Looks like Hamilton's setup is currently a lot better than Rosberg's. Shame Nico will just be given Hamilton's setup anyways.

DD

Considering that the Bianchi crash completely ripped out the whole engine/air box/roll cage I really doubt a closed cockpit would have changed anything.

At some point, there's always gonna be very big crashes. F1 is a dangerous sport. The pilots know it, the teams know it and the fans know it.

But lets not forget other accidents that could have been prevented if we had closed cockpits. Like I've said, Felipe Massa, Maria DeVillota, Dan Wheldon, Henry Surtees...

Aiii

So not worth it
Looks like Hamilton's setup is currently a lot better than Rosberg's. Shame Nico will just be given Hamilton's setup anyways.

I think Hamilton's form right now is what is the big difference maker between the two, not so much the set-up. Dude is just on another level right now, everything is going his way.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
In-season engine unfreeze next year voted through by Renault and Ferrari teams.
Lots of money going to be spent on upgrades and potentially more engine failures.

kiyomi

The Guardian says Bianchi's condition has deteriorated. Think they may be speculating though.

They didn't say that. They said more of his family came to the hospital. That's it. You may interpret that as meaning his condition has gotten worse, but The Guardian did not say that, and any idea that his condition is worsening seems to be pure speculation at this point.

In-season engine unfreeze next year voted through by Renault and Ferrari teams.
Lots of money going to be spent on upgrades and potentially more engine failures.
Ron Dennis must be rubbing his hands with glee right now. Honda will be able to react on the spot to improve the engine and as a works team McLaren will be able to take full advantage of the improvements right away.

Even if they start badly McLaren could be winning races by the end of 2015.

Ark

Good. I don't mind a season of Mercedes domination, but I'd much prefer if someone could actually challenge them for either championship.

Aiii

So not worth it
Good. I don't mind a season of Mercedes domination, but I'd much prefer if someone could actually challenge them for either championship.

It's a step in the right direction. I'd be much happier if they allowed for testing during the season (doesn't have to be unlimited, but a two-day test every month or so would be fine) and decreased limitation on car designs as far as aero goes.

A big part of the charm of F1 was lost when the focus was taken off technological and aerodynamic development during the season imo. F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of car racing and that's been lost over the past decade, bring it back I say.

kiyomi

I'm all for competition in terms of developing the engine and the car and soforth, but a large part of the reason the sport has tried to stop that is the insane amounts of money they were spending. And that isn't really healthy long-term.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yep, that's the reason they've been doing it, so smaller teams could have a chance.

And certainly the Caterham's and Marussia's of the world have been outperforming the Minardi's of old, so that certainly helped.

Really, I get the idea and it's a noble idea, but bottom line I'd rather see less teams that have the money to compete at the top with three cars than have teams like Caterham fill the field and just "be there."

dubc35

Man, Rossi can't get a break. I definitely understand only running one car out of respect for Jules, not debating that, but I was also looking forward to seeing Rossi on Sunday.

DBT85

It should be noted that Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari all have to supply identical parts to all teams running their engines. Only software is done separately for each team.

So it's not going to be cheap, and If they can't supply all teams the same, then none can run the upgrades.

Also hoping that Merc fund another 50 HP just to annoy Horner.

ramparter

Banned
Man, Rossi can't get a break. I definitely understand only running one car out of respect for Jules, not debating that, but I was also looking forward to seeing Rossi on Sunday.
Will probably get the chance in the following races. Right now Marussia made the right decision but I don't think they will run all of the remaining races with one car.

It should be noted that Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari all have to supply identical parts to all teams running their engines. Only software is done separately for each team.

So it's not going to be cheap, and If they can't supply all teams the same, then none can run the upgrades.

Also hoping that Merc fund another 50 HP just to annoy Horner.
Mercedes have more customers though.

Merc supply to Mercedes, Williams, Lotus and Force India

Ferrari - Ferrari, Marussia and Sauber

Renault - RBR, STR and Caterham

Honda - McLaren

Surely the big winner here is McLaren. Honda have just one customer and can roll changes in very quickly without having to worry about any non-works teams they supply like the others.

dubc35

Will probably get the chance in the following races. Right now Marussia made the right decision but I don't think they will run all of the remaining races with one car.

Yeah, who knows he could have been in on the decision. Honor Jules with the GP in Sochi then make his F1 debut in the US.

kharma45

Yeah I can only see them doing it this weekend. Next one will be back to two cars for sponsors, not that they've loads but can't see them being happy at only one car running around.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like engine unfreeze is in the Mercedes hands, because it needs unanimous support from the F1 Commission, before going to FIA World Motorsport council.

DBT85

Mercedes have more customers though.

Merc supply to Mercedes, Williams, Lotus and Force India

Ferrari - Ferrari, Marussia and Sauber

Renault - RBR, STR and Caterham

Honda - McLaren

Surely the big winner here is McLaren. Honda have just one customer and can roll changes in very quickly without having to worry about any non-works teams they supply like the others.

I don't recall seeing just how free they are, if its going to be like it was in the past where they could bring new parts every 5 minutes, or if its say, every 4 races for example. McLaren will be the winner, if Honda can make a decent engine. It's clearly not all too easy since Renault and Ferrari have been making engines for awhile now and borked theirs up.

All irrelevant when McLaren will quite possibly have a crap car again.

This is quite possible because Mercedes will not rest on past honors and will develop engine from very solid base, compared to Renault and Ferrari.

Indeed. They probably have smaller gains to make though. But then they could also spent more time or money on making the packaging smaller, lighter etc.

Top Bottom