• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

XofWmgc.jpg

That's one hell of a rear wing on that car.

That's one hell of a rear wing on that car.

I think it's a Champ Car which makes the shirt even more silly. If that happens to be Ralfie's weirdly shaped body too, then it may very well be the greatest tee of all time.

I'll be checking Ebay all week. I've got to have one. Original, reprint - don't care.

Pimpwerx

Looking at the last page, I'd say closing the cockpit, and not the wheels is the definition of a bandaid fix. If you're serious about safety, why half ass it? The whole problem with reactionary safety measures like that is that it's incredibly short sighted and usually inadequate. I'm sure the guy who thought of making chicanes out of hay bales, following Senna's death, had his heart in the right place too. PEACE.

DD

Looking at the last page, I'd say closing the cockpit, and not the wheels is the definition of a bandaid fix. If you're serious about safety, why half ass it? The whole problem with reactionary safety measures like that is that it's incredibly short sighted and usually inadequate. I'm sure the guy who thought of making chicanes out of hay bales, following Senna's death, had his heart in the right place too. PEACE.

How covered wheels would protect Massa and Bianchi on their respective accidents?

kiyomi

Sure. And let's put a skirt on the cars. And let's raise the minimum ride height. And let's not let them race in the rain. While we're at it, let's get rid of circuits that don't have a kilometre of run-off. In fact, let's just enforce a maximum speed of 80mph. And cars aren't allowed to go side by side. Actually cars can't overtake each other at all. To be safe they should be behind the safety cars at all times. And those drivers, they're at serious risk! Let's put a robot in their place. Fuck it, why is F1 even a series? Let's all just go home and stay indoors.

kiyomi

Who was the last driver to make a good use of someone else's unfortunate injury? Was it Kobayashi replacing Glock, or has there been someone more recent?

DD

Who was the last driver to make a good use of someone else's unfortunate injury? Was it Kobayashi replacing Glock, or has there been someone more recent?

I guess that Kobayashi is the most recent successful case. Vettel did great before him, and the ones that got into Massa's seat in 2009 did not.

Zeknurn

@pitlanetalk: Sebastian Vettel: "Hopefully we can announce something soon. As soon as we do, you're clever enough to figure out why it was delayed." #F1
@pitlanetalk: Marchionne steps in as new Ferrari boss on October 13th, when the announcement of signing Sebasitan Vettel will be made. #F1 #Formula1
@pitlanetalk: On that day we are likely getting an announcement from Alonso too that he's leaving Ferrari. Kimi Raikkonen set to continue for 2015. #F1

@pitlanetalk: OFFICIAL: Lotus F1 Team switches to Mercedes engines from 2015. Full story soon. #F1 #Formula1
@MercedesAMGF1: Welcome to the @MercedesBenz #F1 family @Lotus_F1Team! :) Click here to find out more -> http://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2014/2014-lotus-f1-team-mercedes-benz-power-unit-announcement/

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Lotus and Mercedes confirm the switch away from Renault next year.
Bonus too in that they will have Petronas as fuel, lubrication supplier which is believed to be part of why the Mercedes factory package is so good this year.

Addnan

Yay. I want to say this will be start of a new era for Lotus but they have lost too many people and still have Pastor :(

Honda confirm they're building a test car, maybe this is the MP4-29H that Ronbo mentioned?

Honda builds the 29H test car while Prodromou and his team work on the MP4-30.

http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=1&no=60411

- Everything is on schedule
- Building a car to test and check the new PU
- Cant reveal much details about the car
- Not for performance
- No decision yet on when they'll run it
- Not possible to run it until after the Abu Dhabi GP

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Lotus moving away from Renault basically now means that RBR and its 2 sister teams, STR and Caterham now have their own engine to develop and tailor to their specific needs and packaging requirements.

So if Lotus are dropping TOTAL doesn't this mean the end of Grosjean seeing as he's only there because of their funding (according to the French F1 media)?

Can't wait for Pastor to destroy Alonso...

pulsemyne

just saw a video of the crash holy shit. good reaction by the marshal who was holding the sauber.

Yeah he was lucky. How the hell that crash didn't kill Jules outright is amazing. The impact is incredible. It decimates the top of the car.

dubc35

No pro cycling team for ALO

AIGLE, Switzerland -- Formula One driver Fernando Alonso has missed his chance to register a professional cycling team for the 2015 season.

The International Cycling Union published a list of teams who have submitted a registration file for a WorldTour license to compete in cycling's top two levels next year.

A prospective team back by Alonso, a two-time F1 champion, was not among them despite prolonged discussions over his entry into the sport.

"Over the last few months the UCI has had very cordial and productive discussions with Fernando Alonso and his representatives concerning a possible team for 2015," the UCI said.

"Whilst this has not led to a team for 2015, we thank Fernando Alonso for his interest and engagement and look forward to continuing discussions with him and/or his advisers if they wish to pursue that interest further. Our door will always be open to all those who want to invest in the future of our sport."

http://espn.go.com/racing/f1/story/...lonso-misses-chance-register-pro-cycling-team

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A closed cockpit seems an overreaction to a rare incident. Surely it would be better to try and remove the risk by either modifying the crane vehicle or changing when it is allowed to go on track.

Jibbed

A closed cockpit seems an overreaction to a rare incident. Surely it would be better to try and remove the risk by either modifying the crane vehicle or changing when it is allowed to go on track.

This.

Or deploying a safety car by default every time a car needs to be retrieved.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I think it's a Champ Car which makes the shirt even more silly. If that happens to be Ralfie's weirdly shaped body too, then it may very well be the greatest tee of all time.

I'll be checking Ebay all week. I've got to have one. Original, reprint - don't care.

Too bad that we do not have any russian members of F1 GAF, they could help :p

DD

This.

Or deploying a safety car by default every time a car needs to be retrieved.
This wouldn't save Surtees, Wheldon or prevent what happened to Massa, to name a few cases in recent years.

Business

For an accident like Surtees the best is to have the tyres strapped. Could be totally wrong but didn't they strap the tyres on F1 since that De la Rosa rolling crash in Monza where a marshall died? I'm not sure if F2 cars are or were equipped with these at the time of Surtees' accident. It could have still failed if it was there and it does still fail in F1 every once in a while but I think it's a better direction than closed cockpits.

edit: yes I was wrong, it was 1998.

Massa

You're not going to prevent everything, and closed cockpits may bring their own risks.

"You're not going to prevent everything" is just obviously wrong and shows that for some reason you're not even willing to discuss the subject. The point of bringing it up is precisely to discuss what the potential problems are.

RayStorm

Considering that LMP1 cars are for the most part F1 cars with closed wheels I don't really see the problem with closed cockpits. Granted, in LMP1 the inside is more spacious than it would be in an F1, but I don't really see why or how that would impact an safety relevant things.

DD

Considering that LMP1 cars are for the most part F1 cars with closed wheels I don't really see the problem with closed cockpits. Granted, in LMP1 the inside is more spacious than it would be in an F1, but I don't really see why or how that would impact an safety relevant things.

And let's be honest here, the LMP1 cars are way sexier than the current F1 cars. ;D

DBT85

For an accident like Surtees the best is to have the tyres strapped. Could be totally wrong but didn't they strap the tyres on F1 since that De la Rosa rolling crash in Monza where a marshall died? I'm not sure if F2 cars are or were equipped with these at the time of Surtees' accident. It could have still failed if it was there and it does still fail in F1 every once in a while but I think it's a better direction than closed cockpits.

Tyres are tethered F1, doesnt do shit when the whole suspension arm gets torn off.

Hasney

"You're not going to prevent everything" is just obviously wrong and shows that for some reason you're not even willing to discuss the subject. The point of bringing it up is precisely to discuss what the potential problems are.

Well you're not going to prevent everything. There was a death in an Audi R8 in 2001 due to a tyre failure. I'm not even sure a closed cockpit would have even completely helped Bianchi since the injury is from the brain rattling about. At that speed at that heavy a vehicle as the JCB, even if the cockpit stood strong, the impact could still have a similar effect. Obviously would have helped Massa a lot more.

Nuklear

Banned
Are they going to put air conditioning in the closed cockpits? I can't even imagine the temperatures inside the cockpit. Especially during the summer months.

Would be far less instant deceleration if the obstacle hits the cockpit (which then deforms / deflects) than if your head hits the object.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
tumblr_nd6m6hmjNv1rk1rmho1_1280.jpg

Well, he's right.

A head hitting a truck directly decelerates much harder than a head in a cockpit that deflects the truck. A sturdy enough cockpit would have let the car slide under the truck and would also have directed more of the impact's energy into the car's structure.

Massa

Well you're not going to prevent everything. There was a death in an Audi R8 in 2001 due to a tyre failure. I'm not even sure a closed cockpit would have even completely helped Bianchi since the injury is from the brain rattling about. At that speed at that heavy a vehicle as the JCB, even if the cockpit stood strong, the impact could still have a similar effect. Obviously would have helped Massa a lot more.

Wow, just reading now... I thought it said anything instead of everything when I replied early this morning. My post makes absolutely no sense.

mrklaw, I'm very sorry. :(

Megasoum

Banned
A head hitting a truck directly decelerates much harder than a head in a cockpit that deflects the truck. A sturdy enough cockpit would have let the car slide under the truck and would also have directed more of the impact's energy into the car's structure.

Considering that the Bianchi crash completely ripped out the whole engine/air box/roll cage I really doubt a closed cockpit would have changed anything.

At some point, there's always gonna be very big crashes. F1 is a dangerous sport. The pilots know it, the teams know it and the fans know it.

RoKKeR

Press release:

http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/1037/

We will run a single car for the duration of the forthcoming Grand Prix weekend in Sochi, out of respect for our driver Jules Bianchi, who remains in hospital in Yokkaichi, Japan, in a critical but stable condition.
We have written to the Stewards of the Meeting to inform them that we have withdrawn our second car. Notwithstanding the presence in Sochi of Alexander Rossi, the nominated Official Reserve Driver for the 2014 Russian Grand Prix, the Team feels strongly that fielding a single car, that of driver number 4, Max Chilton, is the appropriate course of action under the difficult circumstances of the weekend.
Jules' car crew have built a second car, which has been scrutineered and is ready to race, and this will remain on his side of the garage throughout the weekend. In support of Jules and his family, the Team and its cars will carry the familiar #JB17 graphic, to ensure that although Jules is not with us in Sochi this weekend, he is, nonetheless, racing on with the Marussia F1 Team.
Max Chilton #4
"I don't know how to put into words how truly devastated I am by what has happened to Jules. The support from the F1 family has been incredible & all we can do is be there to support Jules' family at this difficult time. It is going to be a very emotional weekend for the whole Team, but we will try to get through it and keep praying for Jules."

Read more at http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/1037/#QeJAGWqcvGs5gKE3.99

Needless to say I don't think I'll ever root as hard for a back-of-the-pack team as I will for Marussia this weekend.

Top Bottom