• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

3 car teams would be a total capitulation to the manufacturers, and it will destroy F1.

Do you want Marchionne or Ghosn calling the shots in F1? Fuck that.

Pimpwerx

That was thrilling. Lewis had that lockup. That was a fun qualies. Good for Nico. He has been on it all weekend. I just want Lewis to get away from the line cleanly, hold or gain a position, and have an uneventful remainder of the race. He did a good job today. Nico just did better. PEACE.

Ugh, Lewis had it and decided to powerslide though turn 10.
Well, this should be fun.

Worth reminding that Nico has only legit outraced Lewis on track once the entire season. He'll have to find a way.

DBT85

Very close at the end.

I believe Hamilton will win again.

Intrigued by Hamilton being beaten this often in Q3 though.

Juicy Bob

Rosberg has proven how good he is by beating Hamilton in qualifying this season.

But races win you championships and Hamilton has a clear edge over Nico on Sundays.

Very close at the end.

I believe Hamilton will win again.

Intrigued by Hamilton being beaten this often in Q3 though.

Rosberg seems to focus that much more on qualifying. Also, Rosberg overall has seemed to be more comfortable on the softer tyres (which are not usually race tyres).

Overall though, if you wipe out Monaco, Germany and Hungary, it's 7-7... just sayin'

TCRS

Banned
fucking sky bringing the feels back

u5Srh1k.jpg

;_;

Pimpwerx

I think Nico is just a really quick driver. The difference in their race pace compared to qualifying might also suggest different setup approaches for the two. Also, Lewis has been called a tire eater his whole career, but this season he has been incredibly smooth in all regards. Fuel efficient, and he seems to get more life from the tires than Nico. Perhaps Lewis has adjusted his driving and focus to get the best performance on Sunday.

I just like to keep it simple. Nico has proven himself a formidable qualifier. Lewis is no slouch. He's shown great pace against all his teammates. Nico is just that good. I don't like him, but I respect his pace. I thought Lewis was gonna be pooping out pieces of Nico by this point in the season, and he's still being a pain in the neck. PEACE.

I think Nico is just a really quick driver. The difference in their race pace compared to qualifying might also suggest different setup approaches for the two. Also, Lewis has been called a tire eater his whole career, but this season he has been incredibly smooth in all regards. Fuel efficient, and he seems to get more life from the tires than Nico. Perhaps Lewis has adjusted his driving and focus to get the best performance on Sunday.

I just like to keep it simple. Nico has proven himself a formidable qualifier. Lewis is no slouch. He's shown great pace against all his teammates. Nico is just that good. I don't like him, but I respect his pace. I thought Lewis was gonna be pooping out pieces of Nico by this point in the season, and he's still being a pain in the neck. PEACE.

I agree - though, had Lewis not been this unlucky this season, the points gap would have been 50+ by now and Lewis would have settled the WDC tomorrow, double points or not.

They had pace for pole or at least front row. Drivers cooked it up. They were consistently faster in S1 and S3 and were not too far behind in S2.
I'm worried they're in big trouble if it rains tomorrow. They obviously set up as stiff and were fastest in the zero downforce sections where the Mercedes was more balanced in the swamp that will vaguely resemble sector two.

RoKKeR

I'm worried they're in big trouble if it rains tomorrow. They obviously set up as stiff and were fastest in the zero downforce sections where the Mercedes was more balanced in the swamp that will vaguely resemble sector two.

Have a feeling Williams will yet again not perform in the race. Tire wear will be a serious factor and we've seen they are pretty bad at handling that/strategy, along with the chance of rain where they are considerably off the pace.

Williams are terrible in the wet, and their set-up here will make it even worse. But that's a gamble worth taking because it doesn't appear that rain is guaranteed.

malyce

Yeah, only a fool would deny Nico's one lap pace. Regardless of Lewis' mistakes or whatever setup they use in quali vs race, Rosberg is a problem over a single lap. To best lewis in quali over a single season in the same machinery is not an easy task.

That being said, I think Lewis isn't as hungry for pole as he would have been if pole held more weight. He knows the other teams are no threat and it doesn't matter if he's second to Rosberg on a Sunday as long as he's on the front row, the run to turn 1 more often than not is a toss up. Next year when the gap to the other teams begin to shrink he's gonna have to bring his a game becuase rbr and Williams are gonna be at their heels on Saturday. So being split by Ricciardo would make his Sundays 3x as hard even if he manages to maintain the Sunday gap to Rosberg. A pole will hold more weight as it would make it easier for rosberg to convert it to a win.

Pimpwerx

Dammit. I wish I hadn't watched this post-race show. Button trying to make me catch feels. No, sir. You won't get a nice word from me until Abu Dhabi. Until you're retired, I'm obligated to hate you. PEACE.

Yeah, only a fool would deny Nico's one lap pace. Regardless of Lewis' mistakes or whatever setup they use in quali vs race, Rosberg is a problem over a single lap. To best lewis in quali over a single season in the same machinery is not an easy task.

That being said, I think Lewis isn't as hungry for pole as he would have been if pole held more weight. He knows the other teams are no threat and it doesn't matter if he's second to Rosberg on a Sunday as long as he's on the front row, the run to turn 1 more often than not is a toss up. Next year when the gap to the other teams begin to shrink he's gonna have to bring his a game becuase rbr and Williams are gonna be at their heels on Saturday. So being split by Ricciardo would make his Sundays 3x as hard even if he manages to maintain the Sunday gap to Rosberg. A pole will hold more weight as it would make it easier for rosberg to convert it to a win.

I agree - but Lewis usually sets his car better for the race, because (as you pointed out) he can afford to given the pace advantage they have over other teams. Even today, we heard ROS complaining of rear tyre overheating.

Ark

If you go back to Hamilton's post-qualy Spa interview it's clear that his objective with qualy now is simply to get on the front row rather than pushing everything to the limit for pole, like in Austria. I'm not discounting Rosberg's pace, it's incredible, but we don't seem to be seeing the old Hamilton everything-or-nothing pole laps.

Top Bottom