• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

cmr-94

Lorenzo De Luca ‏@LorenzoDL83 2m2 minutes ago
#Kimi about #Vettel "I'm sure we can have a good relationship, we will try to do well to push the team where it belongs"

jey_16

Banned
Lorenzo De Luca ‏@LorenzoDL83 2m2 minutes ago
#Kimi about #Vettel "I'm sure we can have a good relationship, we will try to do well to push the team where it belongs"

has he given an explanation as to why he has been so shit this year?

yami4ct

Marussia closing shop is sad, but not too surprising. Only surprise is Caterham didn't go first.

Caterham's crowdfunding campaign is weird. Does such a young, small team really have enough fans to hit that? Only people I can see donating are those that support smaller teams in F1 and people looking for some of the cooler rewards like the Front/Rear Wing.

Button to announce his switch to Toyota and WEC after the race on Sunday according to some Joao Carlos Costa bloke.

Bouiller says McLaren are negotiating with Alonso, not Honda. His exit from Ferrari tricky, not willing to bail him out.

So Ferrari wants money to release him, McLaren and Honda won't pay, so it'll have to come out of Alonso's pocket...

Looks like McLaren could be stuck with Grosjean and Magnussen - what a disaster.

Lemonte

has he given an explanation as to why he has been so shit this year?

It is Ferrari's front pull-rod suspension system that makes the car so difficult for Kimi. Hopefully they ditch that and start using push-rod system like every other team now that Fernando leaves the team.

Kyougar

Wait. Wouldnt Ferrari want to release Alonso if they have a contract with Vettel? They would have 3 drivers next year if nobody buys out Alonso.

hadareud

The Translator
If they want money, they shouldn't have signed Vettel.

Hope it all falls through and Ferrari are stuck with three drivers and the wage bill to go with it.

cmr-94

Rosberg seems set to snatch another pole, unless Lewis is sandbagging in these sessions. (I doubt he is)

ive learnt to never judge anything on fridays performance. you only have to look to last weekend for example. moreover, if it rains, anything can happen

Nicktendo86

If you look at this

payment-structures.jpg

Then it would mean around 40M$ which is huge.
Look at all that money being funneled away to Bernie. Decrepit old cunt, that money could make a real difference to struggling teams and the sport.

Why do Ferarri get special treatment BTW? Historical team blah blah blah they have done fuck all for years, give that money to someone else.

Fox Mulder

Look at all that money being funneled away to Bernie. Decrepit old cunt, that money could make a real difference to struggling teams and the sport.

Why do Ferarri get special treatment BTW? Historical team blah blah blah they have done fuck all for years, give that money to someone else.

they need to spread money out to improve parity. Half the teams shouldnt be shit.

Rosberg seems set to snatch another pole, unless Lewis is sandbagging in these sessions. (I doubt he is)

Lewis might not have been sandbagging but Friday hardly tells the true story. Lewis doesn't seem bothered with the gap and actually posted similar sector times, it's just that he didn't actually nail a proper lap. Also, Lewis was posting best sectors on 3-4 lap old tyres, so that tells me Mercs still have quite a lot of pace in hand.

As for tomorrow, it's supposed to rain, so it's all back to square one anyway.

Regarding the money "funneled", it's not so much Bernie's fault as it is CVC and other shareholders. Formula 1 was LBO'd (leveraged buyout) by CVC back in 2006. This means that CVC acquired a majority stake in F1 using a lot of debt. Debt has to be serviced over time so the money going to CVC and other shareholders on a yearly basis is effectively used firstly to pay any debt service (interest or principal) and then shareholders (a dividend effectively).

DBT85

I have to agre with him on Alonso. A great driver but one who right now needs a team big enough to handle him and his expectations.

Interesting to see the front left and rear right are faster than the others.

In other news, Button is perplexed about the Merc straight line speed

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116677
The only thing that we find quite strange is that our straightline speed is so far off," he said.

"We're not running that much difference in downforce. We'd struggle to run that speed in a straight line without taking the wings off.

bud23

Posted?
Fernando Alonso to be a McLaren driver in 2015

The Asturian has reached an agreement with the British team in which, as has been told to AS, he will have the biggest contract in the history of F1.

...the Spaniard will return to the team where he last enjoyed a winning car. It has been confirmed to AS that Alonso and McLaren have agreed for the Spaniard to be the star of the British team’s new project with a Honda engine. The agreement is seen as the largest in the history of Formula 1 and will be presented as a multi-year deal. But the Spaniard has the best deal. In principle, the talk is of two years with an option for a third.

Alonso will have a considerably higher salary as both McLaren and Honda make a big effort to win again. But above all, Alonso has managed to get technical guarantees that he has sought in getting a competitive car.

....Pending an official announcement, which could happen just after the Abu Dhabi GP....

http://as.com/diarioas/2014/11/08/english/1415435759_394884.html

DrM

Redmond's Baby
What kind of technical guarantees could McLaren have for Alonso? Personnel changes/hirings?

Probably 15 mil € bonus each year, that would be good technical guarantee for me :p

Imagine the meltdowns if car will turn into complete bonkers :D

DBT85

lol, just saw this on Hamiltons BBC blog

I was on Brazilian television after arriving here and there was a nice moment when they gave me a Brazil football shirt with my name on it. They said they had a passport for me and would I represent them because they did not have a driver who was winning, or who drives like Senna did.

Poor Massa.

Would love Williams to do well this weekend. Maybe 2nd and 3rd :p

Because Ferrari has always been used as a pawn by Bernie to breakup any unity the teams might have against him (remember FOTA?).

So that "loyalty" has to be paid.

Like I said, CVC and Ferrari are the main culprits of the current situation in F1.

Regarding the money "funneled", it's not so much Bernie's fault as it is CVC and other shareholders. Formula 1 was LBO'd (leveraged buyout) by CVC back in 2006. This means that CVC acquired a majority stake in F1 using a lot of debt. Debt has to be serviced over time so the money going to CVC and other shareholders on a yearly basis is effectively used firstly to pay any debt service (interest or principal) and then shareholders (a dividend effectively).

During Bernie's tax problems it came out that he was getting paid £100 million a year from his "family trust fund" that he set up to avoid paying any taxes. So that is the absolute minimum he is taking out out of the sport every year. Logically one would think the real figure is considerably higher.

Fox Mulder

I just bought F1 2014, I'll let you guys know how shit it is.

at least it's not $60.

I had fun with last year's game, and would consider getting this for the new tracks, but I packed my 360 up when i bought a xb1. I'm waiting for the current gen version, F1 cars in forza 5 will have to do until then.

DBT85

Yep, thats one set of tyres blown lol.

Both on high fuel though by the look of it.

Lewis bottom of the charts. #TitleOver

Zeknurn

In a perfect world, the current standings in FP3 would be the results we get on Sunday.

Croft: Shower at 1200. Constant rain for 1400 and onwards.

DBT85

Rosberg goes 1:10.4. 1 sec clear. EDIT2: Time is faster than the Quali record that's been around for 10 years apparently.

Hamilton still 18th.

Spirit of Chilton is strong.
EDIT: Hmailton goes 1/10th off Rosberg after setting the fastest first sector then having a mistake in S2 and 3.

olore

So another 1-2 for Mercedes with nr 6 P1. Let`s hope Lewis can repeat his performance from Austin.

Does anyone want this btw? Having a thourough clearout at home. Yours for S&H.

Hasney

This guy on Sky F1 debating in favor of 3rd cars has terrible ideas. Should only be a young driver and cannot race more than 50% of the season? What? What if they take to it really quick and are leading the championship at the halfway point?

TCRS

Banned
ugh nico

on double points: "first I hated it, I thought it's articificial, but now I'm loving it hehe" or something like that.

Aiii

So not worth it
This guy on Sky F1 debating in favor of 3rd cars has terrible ideas. Should only be a young driver and cannot race more than 50% of the season? What? What if they take to it really quick and are leading the championship at the halfway point?

Young driver I agree on, it should become a proving ground for rookies, while the veterans have the main drive. But none of these 50% or lottery rule bullshit things, every team should get 3 cars, only top two positions count towards constructor championship.

DBT85

Meh, can't blame him. He didn't make the rule or allow it to pass, and it's his best chance at winning a WDC.

It would REALLY resonate badly though if he won it because of double points.

Zeknurn

If Mercedes already knows where they can find 60 hp for next year. This would be the key reason why they shouldn't have a third car.

Top Bottom