• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Ark

You cant bring back super durable tyres without first fixing the aero problems. Unless you want another 2010 on your hands, that is.

Risgroo

You cant bring back super durable tyres without first fixing the aero problems. Unless you want another 2010 on your hands, that is.

Hmm yeah. Would limiting the number of front wing elements help at all? They're getting a bit out of hand now.

Mastah

To be honest, I would love to see rules almost exactly the same as they were in 2010. Out of 20 seasons I've watched, that's the best one and I still remember it vividly. So good, so good.

I'm almost sure if only KERS stayed for 2010, we wouldn't have the current situation.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/12/rosberg-goes-quickest-and-furthest-at-test/

Nico Rosberg beat his pole position lap time from Saturday and covered more than two race distances as he led the first day of testing at the Circuit de Catalunya.

The Mercedes driver logged 146 laps at the venue where he won on Sunday, totalling over 670 kilometres of testing.

Non one else came within two seconds of Rosberg pace, as Sauber driver Marcus Ericsson posted the second-fastest time. Raffaele Maricello, who will drive the C34 tomorrow, was third-quickest at the wheel of Ferrari today.

They're definitely not fucking around.

spuckthew

To be honest, I would love to see rules almost exactly the same as they were in 2010. Out of 20 seasons I've watched, that's the best one and I still remember it vividly. So good, so good.

I'm almost sure if only KERS stayed for 2010, we wouldn't have the current situation.

It had some good races, drama, and a title-deciding final race, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it the best season in 20 years.

Some of the races were veering on the silly side when it came to tyre durability, though, but I'd still take 2010-spec tyres over our current ones.

My favourite thing about 2010, compared to the 4 and bit seasons thereafter (current one included), was that the racing felt purer.

If we're talking the last decade only, 2005-2008 are my favourite seasons, closely followed by 2010. 2012 was the best 'DRS-Pirelli' season for me.

DBT85

Brundles changes all seem ok, but he's missed out not forcing every team to use both compounds.

No reason why the teams shouldn't be able to share components to reduce costs, either as customers from the top teams or as a coalition ganging up and sharing costs against the top teams.

The key though is getting past this mess of not being able to follow closely enough in corners. DRS has been useful, but its not the same as being on someones tail through the corner and having an honest fight about it on the straight with cars swapping into each others slipstreams.

The issue is that they'll all argue that the development of cars using more ground effect will cost more money and isn't a certain fix, so it won't happen since everything about the rules in F1 is a democracy.

Where do we want to go with tyres? At the moment teams are holding back to make them last, but similarly we don't want them lasting ages. I don't know what they can do for tyres that will mean drivers don't driver under the limit to conserve them for an extra 3 or 4 laps.

Kyougar

What can be changed to allow cars to use slipstreaming more and longer? As I understand, there is currently no sense in getting behind another car except for a few seconds. If you are longer behind the car you get the whole dirt from the front car.

But what changed? If i remember correctly, slipstreaming was a constant part of Formula 1 racing in the 90's and early 2000's. If you are behind the front car, right at the tail, you can benefit from mistakes or suboptimal driving. And the additional slipstream energy can be used to overtake the car.

frontieruk

What can be changed to allow cars to use slipstreaming more and longer? As I understand, there is currently no sense in getting behind another car except for a few seconds. If you are longer behind the car you get the whole dirt from the front car.

But what changed? If i remember correctly, slipstreaming was a constant part of Formula 1 racing in the 90's and early 2000's. If you are behind the front car, right at the tail, you can benefit from mistakes or suboptimal driving. And the additional slipstream energy can be used to overtake the car.

Isn't it the diffusers on modern cars just disrupt the air flow behind them rather than punching a large hole cars can sit in gaining an advantage?

DBT85

A modern F1 car relies very heavily on clean air flowing over the front wing to condition it for the rest of the car. All those flaps and little pieces are there to move the air around the car in different ways to generate downforce all over the car.

What that means is that as soon as you put some dirty air in front of it, half the wing isn;t working correctly, you lose downforce and so start scrubbing your tyres with understeer.

With a simpler front wing design it sohuld lose less downforce when confronted with bad air. That, coupled with more ground effect downforce (more likely with the electronic suspension they've been talking about) could help cars stay closer in corners.

Something that probably shouldn't be ignore though is why there is so much turbulent air out the back in the first place and if its because of something that can be stopped.

Ark

The races were only exciting because the top three teams each managed to build cars that succeeded at tracks with certain characteristics. The championship was exciting, but any exciting racing was mostly down to luck & circumstance rather than design.

Pimpwerx

Adjusting aero regs helps overtaking on straights. Extending braking zones by moving away from carbon brakes helps overtaking everywhere. This is an old concept raised in the 90s when overtaking seemed to fall off a cliff. Overtaking isn't as big of an issue in indycar, which has less aggressive brakes. MotoGP has tons of overtaking, and we know bike brakes suck. Longer braking zones makes the advantage of the late braker proportionally greater. No one else agree? I've held this belief a long time. PEACE.

Ark

Adjusting aero regs helps overtaking on straights. Extending braking zones by moving away from carbon brakes helps overtaking everywhere. This is an old concept raised in the 90s when overtaking seemed to fall off a cliff. Overtaking isn't as big of an issue in indycar, which has less aggressive brakes. MotoGP has tons of overtaking, and we know bike brakes suck. Longer braking zones makes the advantage of the late braker proportionally greater. No one else agree? I've held this belief a long time. PEACE.

It's not something that's ever occurred to me as an issue, but I can see your point. I don't think that's the answer, or something that's even going to be considered though.

Risgroo

Michelin ready to return as F1 tyre supplier
With a tender to be put out early next year, Michelin Motorsport director Pascal Couasnon told Italian publication Autosprint: "Why not? We are fully open to a return, but on some precise conditions - Formula 1 must change its technical regulations.

"Tyres must become a technical object again, not just a tool to do a more-or-less spectacular show."

aJk9Vsh.gif

Ark

Its funny, if it wasn't for Bernie we'd have so many more manufacturers and global brands in the sport.

I'm all for Michelin coming back, though I'm curious as to what has caused them to change their minds.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

but then you bring up the age-old 'F1 is the pinnacle of technology in motorsport' argument. I don't disagree with you, but to do that you need to accept that technology cannot come first. Arguably that is already happening with tyres being standardised, testing being restricted, and engine capacity reduced.

I'd be all for simpler aero to be less affected by following another car, and longer braking zones, and not having to manage tyres to the same degree. But it would need a pretty fundamental shift in F1's position

stryke

Didn't Pirelli threaten to throw a fit if another tyre manufacturer enters F1? If they leave and Michelin enters that kind of defeats the purpose of tyre competition.

Is Bridgestone expressing any interest of returning?

Ark

Didn't Pirelli threaten to throw a fit if another tyre manufacturer enters F1? If they leave and Michelin enters that kind of defeats the purpose of tyre competition.

Is Bridgestone expressing any interest of returning?

Michelin are happy to be a sole supplier, but I'm pretty sure the only thing holding back a multi-supplier sport before was Michelin not wanting to create terrible tyres on purpose like Pirelli.

Business

(edited) Excess aero combined with the super short braking distances is THE problem.

Pretty much every year I go to the Barcelona winter test, the one thing I always take new people to watch is turn one so they can see how unbelievably short the braking distance is. Cars come in at +310km/h and they start braking 75ish meters before the turn. Now if because of dirty air (that they tried to minimize there with the introduction of the chicanne before the last turn) cars are easily 10-15 meters apart if not more, how on earth can you gain that much by outbraking the car in front?.

DRS looks cheap but it's a necessary patch to compensate for the excess aero grip (and the lack of mechanical grip) and the short braking distances. What F1 should do though is create the conditions so racing doesn't need a patch.

Brake material isn't as big of a deal as you might imagine. Tires and aero play a much more significant role.

In fact, iirc, the last time steel brakes were run in F1 was when Zanardi had them fitted to his Williams at Monza. He hated the feel of the carbons, and thought he could find something by going back to steel. From what I remember, it made no difference at all in lap times.

The solution is really in the aero as Brundle suggests. Insensitive front wings, and more overall drag (wider car, wider tires, wider rear wing, more draggy rear wing). Everything else falls into place behind that.

If your goal was to increase braking distance, I think you'd find it very hard to implement without upsetting the apple cart. Less downforce, less tire - I'm not sure that would be the best way. Tire wear could become even more critical.

Ark

Apparently the GPDA are going to survey F1 fans at Monaco. Idk whether it'll be a survey for fans actually there or some online gig, but this is the first time anyone in F1 has made any level of effort to reach out to the fans AFAIK.

I'm all for it.

Fox Mulder

Apparently the GPDA are going to survey F1 fans at Monaco. Idk whether it'll be a survey for fans actually there or some online gig, but this is the first time anyone in F1 has made any level of effort to reach out to the fans AFAIK.

I'm all for it.

All those regular fans at Monaco.

I'm all for it.

The FIA, FOTA and individual teams have all been involved in a various fan survey schemes in recent years. It's what's done with the results that's the important bit though.

DBT85

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118955

Details of how prize money was distributed in 2014. Looks totally fair.

Utterly ridiculous

1431517175.jpg

Williams finish a place above Ferrari and get HALF the prize money, Mercedes beat Red bull and Ferarri and get $30m and $40m less respectively.

McLaren still getting "premium" money three and a half times higher than Williams despite winning fuck all since 2008 and no Constructors since 1998!

Jibbed

Alex Rossi (almost definite) and Gutierrez / Hulkenberg racing at Haas next year.

#rumours #willbuxton #heknowsthings #cantbearsedlinking #blessed

Bye bye Michellin:

Bernie Ecclestone: Michelin return would be bad for Formula 1

Neither of those suggestions interests Ecclestone, who told AUTOSPORT: "At the moment Pirelli have gone through a period where they know exactly what we want.

"That's always difficult for them because if they make a tyre that is a bit on the limit, as we know, they get slaughtered.

"But in the meantime they are prepared to do that.

"All Michelin would do is make a rock-hard tyre that you could put on in January and take off in December because they don't want to be in a position where they can be criticised.

"That would make absolutely 100 per cent sure, if there was a question mark about Mercedes winning, it would be removed.

"It would be all the things we don't want, and goes against all the things Pirelli have had the courage to do from what we have asked, which has made for some bloody good racing.

"Pirelli will always do what we ask them to do, and if we had to have an 18-inch rim they could do it.

"But we change things that don't need changing, and things that need changing we don't change.

"At the moment we don't need to change the tyres because what is currently working works well."

WWE formula confirmed.

Top Bottom