• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

I disagree, tyres that are built to degrade like the Pirelli's shouldn't be in F1.

Even in endurance racing they are pushing more than in F1.

Anyway, Philip Morris has extended their "sponsorship" with Ferrari until 2018. 160 million a year.

I don't see what the problem with having tyres that don't degrade is.

Just make it mandatory that you need to make X number of stops per race with X number of compounds.

Let's the drivers push to the limit and destroy the tyres.

As for the payment distribution in 2014? Total and utter farce.

Also,

Bernie can go fuck himself.

Edit:

I know a few people on here already read his blogs but for the ones who don't this is definitely worth a read.

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/strategy-group-pah.html?m=1

Makes some good valid points about the sport and the directions to take. The comments are gold as well, especially the one about making F1 a contact sport and how Maldonaldo would react :p

Mastah

Ecclestone: Completely unequal and unfair revenue distribution amongst F1 teams is good for Formula 1 - coz I planned it, lol

Yesterday I was hopping through onboard races from 2010 and really it is night and day difference between then and what we have today. Sure, there weren't 100 "passes" every race as it is now, but damn, battles and driving itself were so intense. To watch Kobayashi chasing Petrov at Catalunya, not even remotely close to attacking him, but still braking at the limit and locking rears and then drifting and countersteering through chicane, or Alonso and Vettel fighting with others at Silverstone for several laps and finally succeeding in overtake, while carrying absolutely insane corner speeds is something I deeply miss :(

Also:

Allan McNish ‏@allanmcnish 6h6 hours ago

"Bernie Ecclestone: Michelin return would be bad for Formula 1" - Can’t say this is my experience of the last……18 years…..but everyone has their view

Heh.

Mastah

Formula 1 appears to have opened the door to the introduction of customer cars with plans for cost saving seemingly abandoned following Thursday's Strategy Group meeting, AUTOSPORT understands.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118979

They can go to hell.

Oh, wait:

Tobias Grüner AMuS @tgruener

#F1 Customer cars idea will never be realised. Strategy group just needed something to show for. In reality the meeting was a waste of time.

Hahahaha, great job, F1.

Zeknurn

@tgruener: Is BMW developing an LMP1 car to return to Le Mans? We think, it's more than a rumour. AMuS exclusive (in German): http://t.co/6MX1pEPVGp

At least WEC is on the up.

@adamcooperF1: Hearing that the plan for teams to choose their own compounds for each race in 2016 gained some momentum in the Strategy Group #F1
@adamcooperF1: There are some provisos - suitable lead time so tyres can be made, and no supersofts at Monza for example, for safety reasons

Jibbed

Tobias Grüner AMuS @tgruener

#F1 Customer cars idea will never be realised. Strategy group just needed something to show for. In reality the meeting was a waste of time.

This 'strategy group' is a complete waste of time. They clearly have their priorities in the wrong place, and any short-sighted changes they push through will damage the sport even further. We have all the top journalists and drivers singing the same tune of a more sensible revenue sharing system, tyres that let you push, more downforce, more power, wider cars, cost cap, DRS gone, etc etc etc...

Nope. Instead we have the FIA and leading team reps looking at more ways they can sell components to smaller teams. Fuck all done in regards to anything else.

Fucking monkeys, the lot of them.

Mastah

Refuelling back would be a disaster, complete disaster.

cSbJdVd.png

These people are really clueless :/

Hasney

I'd welcome refuelling back. I loved the strategy that went into how much fuel to use in Q3 and watching that play out.

Aiii

So not worth it
Refuelling back would be a disaster, complete disaster.

cSbJdVd.png

These people are really clueless :/

Yeah, it was tons of fun last GP with all those overtakes at the end of the long straight when people popped open their DRS and leisurely drove past the slower car.

I'd rather have a race fought out over strategic pit stops than weak ass DRS overtakes.

cmr-94

I'd welcome refuelling back. I loved the strategy that went into how much fuel to use in Q3 and watching that play out.

Qualifying is the one thing that doesnt need changing imo. I only started watching F1 at the end of 2010.

surely it would be better if Q3 can be done on low fuel then teams can choose any fuel load for the race to start?

Also, looking at that chart, what is more important: quality of overtakes/importance in terms of the actually race, or quantity

Tobe

I started following F1 last year why is refueling bad? Besides contradicting the whole moving onto being more fuel efficient and greener overall.

Aiii

So not worth it
Qualifying is the one thing that doesnt need changing imo. I only started watching F1 at the end of 2010.

surely it would be better if Q3 can be done on low fuel then teams can choose any fuel load for the race to start?

You start the race with whatever fuel load is left in your car at the end of Q3.

Meaning you can go for an early pitstop and get a great qualifying spot. Or qualify heavy and go for a late pitstop, hoping you won't lose too much time at the start of the race.

cmr-94

You start the race with whatever fuel load is left in your car at the end of Q3.

Meaning you can go for an early pitstop and get a great qualifying spot. Or qualify heavy and go for a late pitstop, hoping you won't lose too much time at the start of the race.

I'd still think qualy to be done on pure pace, rather than a means of strategy

Risgroo

I really liked qualifying with race fuel, a mixed up grid is better than the fastest cars starting first and just pulling away.

DBT85

I started following F1 last year why is refueling bad? Besides contradicting the whole moving onto being more fuel efficient and greener overall.

Its only bad in that in a bid to refuel as fast as possible there were a couple if incidents. One involved the fuel line being dragged down the pit lane, one i think involved the drivers trying to pull away with the hose and hose guys still attached, there are fire risks etc.

I'd be surprised if they brought it back, but tbh the sport is at the moment flopping more than an NBA star so by tomorrow they might well decide to host all races while wearing Orange because "thats what the fans want".

Ferrari with hose attached in 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHuhgC9tEyo

Williams fuel filler on fire, also 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6i2u7_vLoQ

Benneton fuel spill and fire in 1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCykFawdq40

Mclaren fuel line still attached spilling fuel onto the following Ferrari and causing fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvgjhfQLTNk

Incredibly it was actually Bernies Brabham team in 1982 that "invented" refuelling in F1 races.

Its all largely irrelevant if you can't follow behind the car in front through corners, something which used to be much more possible than it is today.

Hasney

Other than "more aggressive looks" (WTF are they going to do, paint sharks mouths on the cars?) I'll be very happy if all that gets implemented.

Mastah

Yeah, it was tons of fun last GP with all those overtakes at the end of the long straight when people popped open their DRS and leisurely drove past the slower car.

I'd rather have a race fought out over strategic pit stops than weak ass DRS overtakes.

I'm not talking about DRS drive-bys. I'm talking about how overtake numbers dropped when refuelling was introduced back in 1994 and how it increased again when it was gone in 2010.

Refuelling = less exciting races with less variable strategies

DBT85

Just dropping the cars from starting with 100kg of fuel and instead them probably starting with 30-40kgs is going to make them a lot faster and lighter.

Will be interesting to see how they are going to encourage the engine manufacturers to make the engines just as reliable but developing an extra 200+ HP with the tokens system currently in place.

EDIt: wait, they want to keep the 100KG used limit AND the 100KG flow limit, but want 200 more HP. trololol

The FIA said the "maximum race fuel allowance" of 100kg would be retained. The statement was not clear on whether the maximum fuel-flow rate of 100kg per hour would also stay, but a spokesman confirmed it would.

Aiii

So not worth it
Its only bad in that in a bid to refuel as fast as possible there were a couple if incidents. One involved the fuel line being dragged down the pit lane, one i think involved the drivers trying to pull away with the hose and hose guys still attached, there are fire risks etc.

It only really went wrong one time though, and that was after Benetton fucked about with the fuel nozzle, because cheating is what they did.

formula-1-fire-gif-1632727.gif

I'm not talking about DRS drive-bys. I'm talking about how overtake numbers dropped when refuelling was introduced back in 1994 and how it increased again when it was gone in 2010.

Refuelling = less exciting races with less variable strategies

They gradually dropped during the 90s and then suddenly massively increased when DRS came along.

Your cause and effect are probably not aligned here, is what I'm saying.

Mastah

They gradually dropped during the 90s and then suddenly massively increased when DRS came along.

Yes, there was gradual drop throughout years, because cars were gaining more downforce. But it doesn't change facts:

1993 and earlier the figure for 'average overtakes per driver and Grand Prix' was between 1.60 and 0.94; 1994 and later the same figure was between 0.95 and 0.53.

And the other way happened from 2009 to 2010. Ignore DRS years.

Ty4on

DRS was introduced in 2011 and the graph does show a big increase there, but there was no DRS in 2010.
hzKNDEE.png

They can easily make refuelling safe by having a mechanism at the fuel intake whereby the driver cannot pull away while said mechanism is engaged.

I welcome the other changes but I still feel that it isn't enough to entice other manufacturers to enter the fray.

Risgroo

And the other way happened from 2009 to 2010. Ignore DRS years.

I don't think the change from 2009 to 2010 is just about refuelling being banned. A few teams had F-ducts. HRT, Virgin and Lotus came into the sport. Some races had pretty mixed up grids(Malaysia at least). I think there were more wet races in 2010 as well, if those are included in the stats.
:p
No, but there was this. Which was the reason the DRS came in in the first place.

mc-laren-f-duct-2.jpg
This.

Zeknurn

This is the most apt reply. It's another set of band-aid fixes proposed by a group that's in standstill and stuck in the past.

Until they can get rid of the teams having control over the sport nothing will ever change.

edit: I can't wait for a teams weekend to be completely pointless after they picked the wrong set of tyres. Especially with how limited testing and running Pirelli get to do.

Jibbed

Christ, what have I missed this afternoon?

I like the sound of where this is going, but it's pointless if DRS and tyres still have so much of an impact on the actual racing.

I'd be surprised if they brought it back, but tbh the sport is at the moment flopping more than an NBA star so by tomorrow they might well decide to host all races while wearing Orange because "thats what the fans want".

Ferrari with hose attached in 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHuhgC9tEyo

Williams fuel filler on fire, also 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6i2u7_vLoQ

Benneton fuel spill and fire in 1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCykFawdq40

Mclaren fuel line still attached spilling fuel onto the following Ferrari and causing fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvgjhfQLTNk

Incredibly it was actually Bernies Brabham team in 1982 that "invented" refuelling in F1 races.

Its all largely irrelevant if you can't follow behind the car in front through corners, something which used to be much more possible than it is today.
Looking at all of those, we don't need refueling back. That Benneton one is grisly. I can only imagine what the FIA punishments today would be for some of these.

Aiii

So not worth it
There is something to be said for refueling making pit stops safer. I feel there have never been more occurrences of wheels being improperly put on cars then since refueling was banned and pit stops were reduced from 5~7 seconds to 2~3 seconds.

ramparter

Banned
I like how you can still fill your car to the end, so it's up to the team's strategy. F1 should be about freedom inside some red lines.

Faster cars is also good, the only thing missing is front/rear wings adjustments so cars can get closer. Then we can get rid of DRS.

Jibbed

I like how you can still fill your car to the end, so it's up to the team's strategy. F1 should be about freedom inside some red lines.

Faster cars is also good, the only thing missing is front/rear wings adjustments so cars can get closer. Then we can get rid of DRS.

There's no way a car is going to be competitive by fuelling to the end. The lap time difference alone will be huge.

There is something to be said for refueling making pit stops safer. I feel there have never been more occurrences of wheels being improperly put on cars then since refueling was banned and pit stops were reduced from 5~7 seconds to 2~3 seconds.
You would've thought that they would've proposed a mandatory minimum time for the pit stops after that cameraman got ran over by a loose tire in 2013, but they didn't.

Risgroo

I AM THE GHOST OF RULE CHANGES PAST, FROM THE YEAR 2009 A.D.
I hate the fact that there will be no refueling, fuel and pit strategies to me play a great part of the sport and I will sorely miss it. I also like the current size of the field, 26 cars in my opinion does not improve the quality of the sport at all. .

The no refueling thing is so, so lame, I can't believe they are going to go through with it. What if the cars just spread out, the races are going to be incredibly boring.

Seems like they are simplifying race strategy so Ferrari can have a chance again next season

refueling ban is a joke as well, all the strategy will basically be gone

its bad enough that we have this eight engine rule and rev limits, these cars should be pushing the edge of development

they are ruining this sport....are these rules locked in? or can the teams challenge them

operon

Refuelling would be great to have back really allowed strategy to overcome a lack in speed but if they still have a limit on fuel used we're still going to have taxi racing, just like at the moment where we get a few laps of hard pushing and then fuel saving

Top Bottom