• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

John_B

VSC was in effect on the whole track in the GP2 race. It looked very effective.

Seems fair though. Someone could get unlucky and spend more time in the zone. Also it greatly reduces the chances of another accident elsewhere on the track.

Hammer24

Banned
Isn't VSC only there for a sector where incident happened?

Also they turned VSC into SC in around 20 seconds...whatever it was precise reason it was still complete pit wall blunder no matter how you turn it.

No, and No. ;-)

VSC is always for the full track. But the emergency light from Verstappens car went on (too much g-force in his accident), which by rule makes it an automatic safety car incident, so they had to change.
The blunder happened, because no one felt able to take the decision to rescind the order to pit. They discussed too long between team, strat group and pit wall. By then the damage was done.

Kyougar

:( So, still no racing, just handling the tires. Fuck off Strategy group.

If refuelling would come back, the tires could be made durable again and the drivers could race.

Dilly

Banned

If refuelling would come back, the tires could be made durable again and the drivers could race.

I remember drivers not bothering going for overtakes, and waiting for the undercut a lot when refueling was not banned.

They could race now, if there were more durable tires.

Kyougar

I remember drivers not bothering going for overtakes, and waiting for the undercut a lot when refueling was not banned.

but without refueling and durable tires we dont have Pit-Stops and Formula 1 needs Pit-Stops now more than ever. Except for Honda and Renault the Cars are to reliable, the most fuckups happen at the pit-stop, our only chance for getting not bored.

Ark

No, and No. ;-)

VSC is always for the full track. But the emergency light from Verstappens car went on (too much g-force in his accident), which by rule makes it an automatic safety car incident, so they had to change.
The blunder happened, because no one felt able to take the decision to rescind the order to pit. They discussed too long between team, strat group and pit wall. By then the damage was done.

I know this gets thrown around a lot in the media, but would something like this have happened under Ross Brawn? I mean, even Ferrari wouldn't have made that mistake at Monaco.

Dilly

Banned
but without refueling and durable tires we dont have Pit-Stops and Formula 1 needs Pit-Stops now more than ever. Except for Honda and Renault the Cars are to reliable, the most fuckups happen at the pit-stop, our only chance for getting not bored.

So, fuel rigs being on fire is the only thing you still find interesting about the sport? Refueling won't make anything better, it's the only thing the Strategy group got right here. How about making the racing better, instead of inceasing chances of cars losing positions because the pit crew screwed up?

Ty4on

No we need racing like you said.
The issue is simple, the task for them is to fix it while messing up as little as possible. Implementing changes that have nothing to do with it like refueling won't help.

operon

We still have drivers going for the undercut rather than pass out on track, at least with refuelling it allowed different strategies, at least giving a car with is half a second slower a chance to win

Dilly

Banned
We still have drivers going for the undercut rather than pass out on track, at least with refuelling it allowed different strategies, at least giving a car with is half a second slower a chance to win

I'm sorry, but you're looking at the past through rose tinted glasses.

hadareud

The Translator
I too remember the days of durable tyres fondly.

It was amazing to watch a whole race with constant lap times and no fucking overtaking other than through pit strategy.

The good old days were amazing.

Deadman

Is the fake overtaking we have now better? Destroyed tyres vs brand new ones, with a magic button to make you go even faster.

I figured out how to make football more interesting, make the nets twice as high and twice as wide. Way more goals. Super fun.

Dilly

Banned
Is the fake overtaking we have now better? Destroyed tyres vs brand new ones, with a magic button to make you go even faster.

I figured out how to make football more interesting, make the nets twice as high and twice as wide. Way more goals. Super fun.

Well no, that's the point. But refueling isn't going to make that problem go away.

Ty4on

The tires also allow for different strategies. That way Hamilton didn't have to fight Vettel in Spain, just choose a different strategy and win because the car (and strategy) were faster.

I understand the random elements can mix the field like rain, but usually the result is some win by a lot because they were lucky and chose the right strategy.

Ark

Everyone's arguing over tyres when the real problem is aerodynamics.

You're all playing into Bernie's hand.

hadareud

The Translator

Surely there must be a healthy middle ground somewhere.

Re-fuelling aided artificial over-taking too. Not on the track, but in the pits - because without having to re-fuel, there was absolutely no reason to change your tyres.

DRS, however fake or artificial it may be, has made the sport a lot more interesting to watch. The tyres at some stage have helped too, though I too would prefer less nurturing and more full out racing.

Ty4on

Everyone's arguing over tyres when the real problem is aerodynamics.

You're all playing into Bernie's hand.

Thiiiiiiis.

If the tires were the issue, why aren't teams using more sets when they are available?
Soccer doesn't start with one team having an extra goal and nothing happening for 90 minutes.

Do people still think that DRS is an instant pass? or don't they still know what tire compound deltas are?

If you noticed in some races DRS does its job, negates the effect of 'dirty air' and puts a driver in a position to pass (if drivers are on similar life [and usually same compound] tires )
Many drivers don't make the move stick, but at least they can try.

The issue with the mixed compounds and DRS was they were introduced near the same time and have added a complexity not really needed.
We should have racer tires on normal circuits, Montreal Monza Sepang Suzuka COTA Interlagos etc.. where the cars should be on the limit and DRS can AID in overtaking and nullify dirty air. More durable tries on these circuits will limit the amount of marbles which again limit overtaking.

Circuits which has the reputation for 'overtaking is impossible', Monaco Hungary Singapore etc.. should have cheese tires which will add to the overtaking.

Zeknurn

qDkuvdG.jpg

FStop7

Banned
I'd be for bringing back refueling if they switched to gravity feed. Too many near-disasters with the high pressure systems.

Mastah

Was an eventful race last week. Showed good pace during the race with some overtaking in Monaco! After an unlucky pitstop I was charging through the field before I got brake tested and had a hard crash into turn1! Anyway those things happen and will make me stronger! Next time we will get those points we deserved... Even though we have a penalty. I know what to do for the upcoming races...

https://instagram.com/p/3KKmnkSqjv/

So he still wants to blame Grosjean for the accident. That's the influence from Jos, I guess.

Zeknurn

So he still wants to blame Grosjean for the accident. That's the influence from Jos, I guess.

Another Maldonado/Perez in the making.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-set-for-louder-engines-in-2016

Following a request from the FIA, Motorsport.com understands that all four engine manufacturers are working on a rule that will force them to make changes to the exhaust layouts of their cars for next year to improve the sound.

The plan is to make it mandatory for there to be two tailpipe exits rather than the current single one.

It is believed that this solution will help deliver a better sound for the engine as it will prevent the muffling effect caused by the current turbo wastegate and single exhaust exit.

Sources suggest that one exhaust will be used for the wastegate, while the other will deliver sound straight from the engine to help deliver more sound.

Aiii

So not worth it

Or from Hakkinen, perhaps?
Mika Häkkinen believes that it was wrong of the stewards to hand Max Verstappen a grid penalty for his clash with Romain Grosjean at the Monaco Grand Prix.

Toro Rosso rookie Verstappen flew over the rear Grosjean's Lotus and into the barriers at Sainte Devote in the closing stages of last weekend's race.

After reviewing the incident, the stewarding panel opted to give Verstappen a five-place grid drop for the next round in Canada and two penalty points.

"Grosjean did not drive on the same line or at the same speed as previous laps," double World Champion Häkkinen told Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat.

"Verstappen was looking for a chance to get past and kept a reasonably safe distance, but if the car in front of you changes speed and line, a collision is likely.

"In any case, Verstappen should not have been punished for the incident. I have experienced similar situations, and I think it was the wrong judgment."

It was a racing incident, nothing more.

Hammer24

Banned
I know this gets thrown around a lot in the media, but would something like this have happened under Ross Brawn? I mean, even Ferrari wouldn't have made that mistake at Monaco.

If you luck at the play-by-play, its (IMO) more of bad luck and a combination of things happening, than a clear cut "hey-you-messed-up" thing. Could have happened to anyone.

I'd love to see if there actually was a difference between the two laps. Grosjean says he broke 5 meters later, but obviously he could have coasted earlier.

Nyx

Grosjean DID brake a lot earlier than in previous laps, so....

Anyway, I hope Max keeps overtaking as much as possible, he was the sole reason the GP of Monaco was enjoyable in the end.

The Verstappen bandwagon has been one of the most annoying things in F1 this year. Ok, the kid is good, but he is not the messiah reborn, he can make mistakes too.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, you can either vilify the guy for having a crash, or you have to worship the guy and be on a bandwagon for him.

There is no middle ground where Grosjean was driving defensively and the driver behind him was caught by surprise and crashed? That's just not possible?

I think Verstappen misjudged the situation, I think Grosjean was driving too defensively and I think it was a racing incident that certainly didn't merit a grid penalty.

Of course there's a middle ground but the majority of the people online are going a bit nuts over it.

Altough, I don't think it was just a racing incident, he was going way too fast round that corner.

Kyougar

Toto Wolf said, that there will be no consequences for the staff after last weekend. They win as a team and they fail as a team.

Kyougar

So, it was Toto's or Niki's fault then?

I changed the wording, it looked like the sentence means himself. Nobody got canned for the decision.

Well, officially. Could be that he must scrub toilets now. But it was a decision from someone higher up, so i dont think thats that either.

I, myself think ,that they gave the people responsible a hefty wordy beating but no more.

John_B

The stewarts come down hard on the rookies. Magnussen was also penalized harhsly last season.

Any particular reason why Hamilton was up 20 seconds and Rosberg could not properly escape Vettel?

Ark

Toto Wolf said, that there will be no consequences for the staff after last weekend. They win as a team and they fail as a team.

I think Ferrari has showed everyone that firing people for fucking up just creates more problems.

Also, great interview with Franz Tost on Autosport about customer cars. I'd link it, but I'm on my phone.

Top Bottom