• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Zeknurn

Manor got a sponsor.

5s7BdzA.jpg

Ark

I'm pretty sure the Honda boss man has mentioned it once or twice since Monaco. Though thinking about it, I might be getting confused with Renault. Either way, it's not surprising.

Also, Verstappen is quickly becoming the least likeable driver on the grid.

Juicy Bob

Yeah, I liked Verstappen until Monaco.

It could've been a lesson for him to help him mature but he's acting, quite literally, like a teenager about it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, I liked Verstappen until Monaco.

It could've been a lesson for him to help him mature but he's acting, quite literally, like a teenager about it.

It was a racing incident, if the data shows Grosjean didn't brake overly early compared to normal and Verstappen's data shows he didn't brake later than normal, then neither should feel the need to apologize. Massa had some harsh words for Verstappen, so him not being very diplomatic is indeed a sign of youthfulness, but I also can't really blame him for not rolling over.

To be fair, I like drivers that get pissy sometimes, guys like Senna, Schumacher and Hamilton. Most people dislike that, I know, but I see it as a good racing quality. Arrogance makes for better racers.

I'm sure Verstappen learned from the incident BTW, but I disagree he had anything to apologize for. But we've had that discussion.

Juicy Bob

Any one post this

https://instagram.com/p/3hIdu3r08Z/

Lewis had me in stitches
That was legit lolz. I hope no one kicks up a fuss about it though.

It was a racing incident, if the data shows Grosjean didn't brake overly early compared to normal and Verstappen's data shows he didn't brake later than normal, then neither should feel the need to apologize. Massa had some harsh words for Verstappen, so him not being very diplomatic is indeed a sign of youthfulness, but I also can't really blame him for not rolling over.

To be fair, I like drivers that get pissy sometimes, guys like Senna, Schumacher and Hamilton. Most people dislike that, I know, but I see it as a good racing quality. Arrogance makes for better racers.

I'm sure Verstappen learned from the incident BTW, but I disagree he had anything to apologize for. But we've had that discussion.
I agree. I'm not saying he should apologise, per say. I don't think he did anything outrageous or stupid - he just made a misjudgement. It happens. Rookie drivers do that sometimes, let alone 17-year-olds.

The problem I have is that rather than simply saying "oops, my mistake", or, "it's unfortunate but these things happen. I'll put it behind me and look forward to the next race blah blah", he actively entertained the idea that Grosjean deliberately brake tested him. Now, I've been critical of Grosjean before, but the idea that any driver out there (except maybe Maldonado or Alonso who brake-tested Doornbos in Hungary practice that time) would ever even consider doing something like that in a race is just ludicrous and pretty inappropriate, actually. Especially when the stewards examined the data and found Verstappen to be the one at fault.

Saying something like that after the stewards looked at the data and concluded Grosjean did nothing wrong is pretty poor form, IMO.

But anyway. I know it doesn't matter now so I'll drop it.

Mastah

Refuelling probably won't return:

The return of refuelling to Formula 1 appears to have been all but killed off, after team representatives expressed unanimous opposition to it in a meeting in Canada on Thursday.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-unite-against-refuelling-return-plan

A key piece of damning evidence was that in 2010, the year after refuelling was last banned, there were twice as many overtaking moves on track as in the previous year.

So they looked at the charts after all :D

Business

No offence but you keep repeating To be fair when your judgement is in my opinion evidently clouded by the fact Verstappen is Dutch like you.

Verstappen is behind and was behind the lap before, if it's true Grosjean braked at the same-ish spot, then it's Verstappen fault, nobody cares if he could brake later or if he did brake later in previous laps. Bringing up last's year crash to Massa would have been cheeky if Massa's crash would have been similar, but because it wasn't it just came across as silly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone see the Rally documentary on BBC4 last night? Was pretty interesting - all about the group B cars and how things got slightly out of hand with moar power etc.

mclem

It's a TV show. Had no idea it was coming back.

They're doing a one-off next week. Got Chris Evans (No, not that one) back for it, too.

There's a F1 Rewind on tomorrow on BBC2, if anyone's interested; Suzi Perry talking to Murray Walker about highlights of three of Senna's races.

Nothing to do with the heart-racing feature documentary from 2010; instead Formula One stalwart Murray Walker talks Suzi Perry through three of the Brazilian’s most famous drives. Walker picks out Suzuka 1989, Monaco 1992 and rain-drenched Donington in 1993 as the defining races of Senna’s tragically curtailed career.

The turbo-charge Voice of F1 is more of a motorway purr these days, but settled in his armchair Murray is as finely tuned as ever with his memories of the exhilarating racer. Rivals Alain Prost and Nigel Mansell pushed him hard, but Senna will always remain in pole position.

About this programme

Suzi Perry and Murray Walker introduce highlights of three career-defining races for Brazilian Ayrton Senna - the highly controversial 1989 Japanese Grand Prix, a defensive masterclass in Monaco in 1992 and a rain-soaked victory at the British GP of 1993.

Dilly

Banned
Seems like Max' ego is already inflating, it might not fit in the narrow streets of Monaco next year.

Of course, the Dutch love it. I'm starting to think the regular commentator on the Dutch F1 sites are seeing him as the second coming of Jesus.

Hasney

Seems like Max' ego is already inflating, it might not fit in the narrow streets of Monaco next year.

Of course, the Dutch love it. I'm starting to think the regular commentator on the Dutch F1 sites are seeing him as the second coming of Jesus.

yLNQPSz.png

Aiii

So not worth it
No offence but you keep repeating To be fair when your judgement is in my opinion evidently clouded by the fact Verstappen is Dutch like you

If you had read what I said after that "to be fair", you would have seen that I admitted that I kind of like arrogant drivers and as such admitted that my opinion was rose colored.

DBT85

anyone see the Rally documentary on BBC4 last night? Was pretty interesting - all about the group B cars and how things got slightly out of hand with moar power etc.

Grand Prix - The Killer Years http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14el38_grand-prix-the-killer-years-documentary_auto
Madness on Wheels - Rallyings Craziest Years http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xty1w4_bbc-madness-on-wheels-rallying-s-craziest-years_shortfilms

Both are required viewing for any motorsport fan I feel. Especially when someone says "Bring back the old Spa"

I think there is a third that I keep forgetting.

EDIT

There is also
1: Life On The Limit - Narrated by Fasbender - Not seen this yet
Deadliest Crash - The 1955 Le Mans Disaster http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlq9ml_the-deadliest-crash-the-le-mans-1955-disaster_auto

Nyx

Anyone saying what they think > Anyone saying ''media training'' bullshit.

Go Max.

Ark

Anyone saying what they think > Anyone saying ''media training'' bullshit.

Go Max.

Hamilton and Webber say what they think, and they do it with conviction because they're usually correct, and when they aren't they apologise.

Maldonado does the same thing, except he's the opposite. Right now, Verstappen is just as bad.

I've got nothing against Verstappen, it does annoy me that a 17 YO can race in F1 without issue, but the kid clearly has immense potential and I want to see him succeed. But his comments post-Monaco have really lacked any sporting professionalism.

John_B

Massa has been in a more than a few accidents over the last handful of seasons, and I can't remember him ever apologizing or taking any responsibility. He blamed Magnussen and railed against rookie drivers when he failed to leave enough space at the first corner of the German Grand Prix last season.

Verstappen was ultimately responsible for the accident. The obvious rookie move was how Verstappen and his camp handled their response after the race. I understand they want to prove and tell everyone that he is worthy of a seat in F1, but they are not making it easy for themselves this way. All they have to say that he is here to learn. Others will be there to sing his praises.

DD

I guess everybody saw that coming towards Verstappen. Being at the age of 17, you either are seen as the second coming of Jesus, or you are extremely overrated (strangely, I don't think that he's none of these things). Worse if you get involved in silly accidents, and even worse if you don't take responsibility for that when everyone is pointing the finger at you. But I guess that that's what happens when you have Jos around you.

If this happens again, I have no doubt that Max will be penalized. It took a race ban for Grosjean learn that he can't drive like an idiot, and he kept his head down an learn from it. There's no problem in making mistakes. Even experienced drivers do that. Max is good. The problem is his attitude, that may lead people tainting him like a new Perez or worse, a Maldonado. And, unlike these two, Max doesn't seem to have many millions from sponsors to keep his seat. What's in his side, though, is that Red Bull will never admit that they made a mistake putting a teenager to drive a F1 car.

Max deserves a place in F1, no question about it. But no more than Frijns, for example. I still think it is too early. But since the shit is done, he'll have to learn to deal with this kind of pressure in a better way before he gets burnt.

Top Bottom