• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

Aiii

So not worth it
That was a great final race. Formula E is pretty fun, has some big pros, like close racing and a good TV program that utilizes driver participation really well (in car interviews and such are pretty cool).

Still, there are some drawbacks. The pitstops are weird, the speed is low.

Regardless, looking forward to another season, this finale was great.

DD

Sad for di Grassi for losing the championship because that crap in Berlin. But happy for Piquet. He deserves it.

Fox Mulder

I will stop watching F1 if that happens. I loathe Sky, and nothing good can come of them having any stake in the sport at all.

Why is Sky so bad?

I'm in the US and have watched their broadcasts a few times. Way better than US racing coverage on nbc sports.

Spookie

Why is Sky so bad?

If you're like me and don't give a fuck about football it's super expensive to pay for a sports channel package which is half the price of my whole tv, fibre and phone package.

All the races used to be free on the BBC till those pricks came along. I've neglected watching F1 to watch other racing this year. For the cost of the F1 I can watch 5-6 other types of motor racing. :/

Fox Mulder

If you're like me and don't give a fuck about football it's super expensive to pay for a sports channel package which is half the price of my whole tv, fibre and phone package.

All the races used to be free on the BBC till those pricks came along. I've neglected watching F1 to watch other racing this year. For the cost of the F1 I can watch 5-6 other types of motor racing. :/

NASCAR is on premium channels a lot now too with NBC sports and fox sports 1. Sucks to wall off an audience.

DBT85

Why is Sky so bad?

I'm in the US and have watched their broadcasts a few times. Way better than US racing coverage on nbc sports.

When we are used to the BBC doing it excellently after the years of ITV shitshow, Sky coming along and upsetting the apple cart really was painful. Mostly I think the issue surrounds the main presenter who just doesn't seem to fit.

I among others would gladly have paid the BBC to continue doing what they were doing, but that wasn't an option.

Chris R

NASCAR is on premium channels a lot now too with NBC sports and fox sports 1. Sucks to wall off an audience.

10 FOX races and 6 FS1
7 NBC races and 13 NBCSN

The final 3 races (which decide the championship in the shitty new format NASCAR uses) are on NBC.

I think most basic cable packages have NBCSN and more are adding FS1 all the time. If you are just OTA then you are out of luck for half the season.

hadareud

The Translator
When we are used to the BBC doing it excellently after the years of ITV shitshow, Sky coming along and upsetting the apple cart really was painful. Mostly I think the issue surrounds the main presenter who just doesn't seem to fit.

I among others would gladly have paid the BBC to continue doing what they were doing, but that wasn't an option.

The beeb couldn't afford all the races, so it was Sky or nothing.

I think their coverage is just fine. I could do without Herbert, but all in all they're professional and informative. It's a high value production and certainly far better than you get in Germany, for instance.

I think their coverage is just fine. I could do without Herbert, but all in all they're professional and informative. It's a high value production and certainly far better than you get in Germany, for instance.

I still much prefer Jake Humphrey over Simon Lazenby.

Aiii

So not worth it

One week with the Dutch show and you would be thanking every single religion's God themselves for the Sky coverage. You guys have no idea how good your coverage is compared to elsewhere.

I'd kill for expert commentary from several F1 drivers and former WCs, along with hours of pre and post shows as well as extra stuff.

Addnan

With the added cost of having to pay for all the dog shit sports I don't want to watch, like the premier league and whatever other crap sky sports gives.

kharma45

Couldn't afford it my hole. It saved them a measly 150m over 7 years.

Shaneus

Not that it tackles the problem, but Star Sports in India have a ~$10AUD package just for F1 that covers qualifying and races. I get everything live (since the local FTA here stopped doing all races, cunts) and all I need is that subscription and a DNS geo-spoofing service so I can access it anywhere. And they have iOS apps as well as watching via the web.

NOKYARD

Wish TSN would pick it up.

TSN and a few other Canadian broadcasters do a good job with F1 and a handful of other series. I haven't missed (or paid to watch) a F1 race since Gilles Villeneuve thanks to TSN & CBC.

On the other hand they broadcast the LeMans pre-show but didn't show one lap of the actual race.

Mastah

Andreas Sutardi @andreasutardi
@alo_oficial what is your favourite battle or moment with kimi raikkonen? #askAlo

Fernando Alonso ‏@alo_oficial 8h8 hours ago
Probably 2014 season, where we had the same car both. That's my favorite moment.

:D

Hammer24

Banned
Interesting, the Ross+Qatar buys F1 deal seems to progress further than anticipated.
- they want 35,5% (the CVC ones)
- offer 8blnUS$
- Dieter Hahn (Leo Kirch protégée) pulling the strings, seems to want some % too (Constantin Medien AG, of former EM.TV fame)

Xun

Oh lovely (Sunday Times):

CIlhRQyWsAA2LBx.jpg
Fuck that.

I hope that doesn't happen, otherwise I'll just give up on the sport.

Addnan

What I realised yesterday was there are some seriously hardcore Formula E fans. I followed the season enough, but didn't care enough to get emotionally invested. Groups of great guys and girls met yesterday at my stand just hardcore FE fans. They seemed to care more about FE than F1 right at this moment!

“He is the guy who came within one point of the world championship. He didn’t get there by accident and the team let him down in that case in 2008. I make no bones about it, the team let him down; operationally we were really poor. He would have won the championship by 20 points which in today's money is about 40-50 points. So, that didn’t happen by accident.

I agree with that. Massa is a good guy and a good driver. He is not at his prime anymore, but I'd say that he is at the top 10 of current F1 drivers.

Austrian GP Japanese press Arai interview:

http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=1&no=66413

- New PU for FA and JB:

- We thought about when is the best timing strategy-wise to take a penalty by introducing new components, taking into consideration token introduction in future as well, so we decided to take it here. We exchanged all 4 major components in order to avoid taking penalty one by one every race in the future races. In either case it will be a big drop of grid so why not take all of them at once. We discussed with McLaren to the make the decision. Of course with drivers' consent as well. We're open and honest and share everything with drivers, that's why they give their all in driving.

- Alteration approved by FIA applied to Austria PU, but unable to get Canada issues fully addressed and sorted in time.

- We improved efficiency of the PU by introducing a new token upgraded MGU-H at Canada. It should have borne fruit here at Austria, but we encountered unexpected troubles at Canada so we are not able to verify the effect of the update yet, to be honest.

- Honda is slammed badly, labelled as having a lack of power, but as long as we analyze the GPS data, our power output is not at the bottom among the 4 makers.

- Changed all spark plugs for both cars before the race.

Button's race:

- Intake sensor detected abnormality, which automatically turned down the PU.

- Asked to adjust it by switching on steering wheel but couldn't fix it, car too slow to race so called him in to pit to retire

- The issue is something that hasn't been encountered before, have to open it up to find the cause.

Austria test and beyond:

- Extremely important. At the post-Spanish GP test we could gather good amount of data and make the car better. Development progresses a lot if you can cover long distance like that. We'd like to prepare well for GBGP and Hungary GP.

- It's tough at the moment. But the second half of the season will be mega. So please wait for it.

Non-gimped token upgraded MGU-H / Ks and rainbow shooting arses

dance2s3a4l.gif

Any viewing figures for Formula E on ITV yesterday? Saturday's race got 300k, which I think is about double what the previous race got on ITV4. Is that good or bad?

Geez Webber, what a funny view of the past. He was so calm after Multi-21? :D
http://www.pitpass.com/54178/Webber-lifts-the-lid-on-Red-Bull-rancour

The reality of his time at RBR is he didn't have worst luck than Vettel or Mechanical failures, their numbers are pretty equal on breakdowns.
He just choked at nearly every start, didn't have the decency or talent to finish 2nd in the WDC in the most dominant car and was simply too slow in many races.

Vettel for all his faults was dead right when he said that Webber didn't deserve to win in Malaysia, I was there at Turn 1 watching him try to put him into the wall defending, he was simply too slow.
That guy needs to get over it.

Vettel has said that he would like to keep Kimi as his teammate.

Regardless, Vettel is hoping to see the 2007 World Champion put pen to a new contract when his current deal expires at the end of the season.

"Kimi will soon return to being the driver we all know," Vettel has been quoted as telling Sky Italia.

"He is going through a season of ups and downs, but we are talking about a talent that can do his job to perfection.

"It's true that this year he has made some small mistakes, but in certain circumstances he was also unlucky, so I think the situation should be considered in proportion.

He added: "Obviously I'd like to continue with him. We have an excellent relationship and we motivate each other, but it's not for me to decide and I don't know the details."

Not really surprising, seeing that he isn't a real threat.

That guy needs to get over it.

I don't think that's ever going to happen. He can't accept that he could have driven better and he needs to blame others for what went on.

It's sort of sad, because he's having a reasonable run at Porsche right now and he doesn't need to keep referring back to his F1 days like a washed up prizefighter.

Zeknurn

I'd like this. Races early in the morning and late in the evening are my favorites because they don't disrupt your whole day.

Could just watch it recorded if you have plans. These days I tend to be out cycling on Sundays so I just watch it when I get in. No major hassle as long as I don't have the radio on.

Top Bottom