• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

DD

New Marussia layout:
CI7JcWmWoAAwKOy.jpg

Mastah

According to Sainz and Verstappen, Toro Rosso has 2nd best chassis this year:

Asked how good he felt the chassis itself was, Verstappen replied: "P3, behind Mercedes [drivers].

"We looked at the data and Turn 3 and Turn 9 in Barcelona, only Mercedes was quicker than us.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119788

No wonder they can shine and achieve great results, it's not a midfield car, but superb car with subpar power unit.

Mastah

No flexi floor and wing, no Red Bull [*]

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1 12m12 minutes ago

F1 clampdown on driver aids has been approved by Strategy Group - and will begin from Belgian Grand Prix. Full story soon.

Yes!

CI7SC4eXAAAPusC.jpg:large

My god, all sensible decisions :O

edit: But pls, don't change weekend format, with gimmicky sprint races or wacky quali, because what we have now is working.

dubc35

Yes!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CI7SC4eXAAAPusC.jpg:large[/IMG
[B]
My god, all sensible decisions[/B] :O[/QUOTE]

Seriously, wtf is going on?

edit, agree with your edit as well, qualy is frequently (IMO) the best part of the weekend. Maybe these changes are enough to get me to watch the GP this weekend since I haven't watched the last 3-4. (I know they are not being implemented this weekend; just more excitement for the future).

Mastah

The Buxton Blog ‏@thebuxtonblog 15m15 minutes ago

New 2016 weekend format being discussed. As I understand it, Qualifying would replace FP3 with a 1hr race Sat pm to set grid for Sunday.

Thanks, but nope.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Isn't 'significantly increased downforce' be a problem for the car's ability to overtake? I thought they wanted to primarily focus on increasing mechanical grip.

Anyway, the cars need to get faster, so that's good.

Zeknurn

Isn't 'significantly increased downforce' be a problem for the car's ability to overtake? I thought they wanted to primarily focus on increasing mechanical grip.

Yeah significantly increasing aerodynamic grip does not seem like a good idea unless they can lower the wake.

I wonder if they'll get around to removing start assistance as well. I want it to go back to the old days where a driver's start was about how well he could control the car rather than how well they'd calibrated the clutch for the auto feed in.

DBT85

Not specifically related to downforce, just how much of it is generated in such a way that happens to ruin the wake so hugely.

They talk about limits on dyno time which I think is wrong. Let the engine manufacturers have spend as much as they want, they just can't pass it on to anyone else. So the engines for a year are a fixed cost and that's that. If the manufacturer wants to spend millions making it better then good for them.

Yeah significantly increasing aerodynamic grip does not seem like a good idea unless they can lower the wake.
The FIA's Overtaking Working Group (OWC) did years of research to maintain sophisticated aerodynamic bodies whilst reducing wake and they came up with DRS so there's still no way to add aero downforce and maintain overtaking, just take a look at canada 2003 i believe, closing in closing in but not a chance in hell of overtaking

DD

Yeah, I'm also against downforce increase. One thing they could to to increase the interest is to reserve a few slots for races on very special, historical or simply different places. Imagine a F1 Race at Le Mans, for example.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, I'm also against downforce increase. One thing they could to to increase the interest is to reserve a few slots for races on very special, historical or simply different places. Imagine a F1 Race at Le Mans, for example.

A sprint race at Le Mans wouldn't be very interesting.

Aiii

So not worth it
Some really promising changes coming up, glad to see it. Belgian GP is gonna be very interesting, disabling some of the assists on that track instead of one of the "safer" Tilke tracks is certain to bring some fireworks.

Zeknurn

The FIA's Overtaking Working Group (OWC) did years of research to maintain sophisticated aerodynamic bodies whilst reducing wake and they came up with DRS so there's still no way to add aero downforce and maintain overtaking, just take a look at canada 2003 i believe, closing in closing in but not a chance in hell of overtaking

Well that does not seem encouraging. I hope they know what they are doing.
LOL

Thanks for the insight btw.

Ark

Seriously, wtf is going on?.

Hugely increased pressure on the strategy group from all angles to make the changes people are actually clamouring for.

I'd be interested to see how a qualy race would do. Not much would change though, it'd have the same results as qualy does now tbh; fastest cars first.

FP3 would be replaced by qualifying and quali would become qualifying race.

Just leave it alone like it is today, you tools :/

Ah, I see.

The concept of a qualifying race has potential, but it seems like it would a non-starter in a series as uncompetitive as F1. There would be very little difference in the results between qualifying, the qualifying race and the race proper. They'd need to fix the car's aero-dependence and the economics of the sport for that to even have a chance of working.

Aegus

I would think the more important detail would be how on earth they set the grid for the qualifying race.

What they might do is have 3 20 lap races on the Saturday. Each driver gets positioned in a front, middle, back position for each race. So say LH has to start at the very back for 1 race, pole 2nd race, 11/12 3rd race. Your position on Sunday the average of your Saturday results.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What they might do is have 3 20 lap races on the Saturday. Each driver gets positioned in a front, middle, back position for each race. So say LH has to start at the very back for 1 race, pole 2nd race, 11/12 3rd race. Your position on Sunday the average of your Saturday results.

Couple something like this with actually earning some championship points for each of the subraces and there may be some merit. But the risk of crashing is still so significant that they will still be highly conservative.

That's a nice start on things they can change quickly.

As long as there is a traditional qualifying of some sort, I'm perfectly fine with a Saturday race. I'd welcome it even. It's especially good for the ticket buyer.

RE: Additional downforce - You need more df to get the lap times back. It's not all power related. More df=less slip=better wear too, so that might be part of the plan to fix the tires.

Fisico

According to Sainz and Verstappen, Toro Rosso has 2nd best chassis this year:

No wonder they can shine and achieve great results, it's not a midfield car, but superb car with subpar power unit.

So...the Red Bull drivers are much better than them ?

Shaneus

So...the Red Bull drivers are much better than them ?
I have a feeling that the STR design was built to accommodate the Renault's shortcomings (including overheating or reliability or whatever) yet the RBR design was hoping to overcome them in different ways (and try to brute force it's way past). Maybe the design team can take some cues from them as clearly whatever it is RBR is doing, sure as shit ain't working.

Glad to read that stuff on Honda, too. So does that mean because they were penalised already, their next PU change won't incur one?

DD

According to french website Autonewsinfo, Renault decided to stay in F1, and not only that. They'll buy Lotus back.

yami4ct

Current Quali format seems like the fairest way to set the grid. I also find it fun to watch. Throwing that out sounds odd, but if it just comes down to a traditional quali with an additional race, that sounds cool.

Rule changes sound good overall. I'll be happy if most those get implemented. Also, Renault buying back Lotus sounds like a win-win situation as well. Renault having some skin in the game might be the incentive they need to get their act together.

Dilly

Banned
McLaren is limiting running during FP because they're on old engines?

How does any of that make sense for goodness sake?

Jezbollah

According to french website Autonewsinfo, Renault decided to stay in F1, and not only that. They'll buy Lotus back.

As much shit as Renault have got over the past couple of years, this is great news. I'm glad they're not grabbing their ball and going home.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Yes!

My god, all sensible decisions :O

edit: But pls, don't change weekend format, with gimmicky sprint races or wacky quali, because what we have now is working.

You don't want Fan Boost?

stryke

Oh, so for some stupid reason Fox and Channel 10 agreed it's better to have Austria on free to air instead of Silverstone.

Hasney

The rain forecast for tomorrow is going to miss he race by an hour... But this is England, we weren't forecast the massive thunderstorms we had last night.

Dilly

Banned
Sainz and Verstappen are very lucky to have such a good car in their rookie season now the reliability issues are solved.

Zeknurn

Everything seems to be against Rosberg this weekend.

#mercedesconspiracy.

Edit: Good news, it was a broken seal on Rosberg's gearbox and they have fixed it.

Bad news, Alonso's car has sprung a leak and McLaren are working on locating it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like Mercedes has the biggest advantage since China. 0.7 on soft and 1.2 second advantage on hard compound.

Top Bottom