• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Season |OT| Formula E Feeder Series

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Watching the replay right now.

Holy shit, these first laps are amazing.

Aiii

So not worth it
But a joke? Hardly.

Did you watch this race, literally everyone watching knew the strategy to take and even then Williams still couldn't.

When half the people in this thread are better at F1 than you are, you're pretty much screwed. And yes, a joke.

Since when did Williams become the joke of F1? Ridiculous.
Austria 2014. Cost Mercedes the sweep of poles for the year by locking out the front row & were 1-2 going into the pitstops. They even had a bonus gift of Hamilton starting 9th because he botched his Q3 runs AND Mercedes botched Lewis' first stop. I think both Mercedes had brake issues, too? I'm just running this on immediate memory. Anyway, despite that, Hamilton finished second behind Rosberg and was faster the entire race (just couldn't pull off a pass). Bottas third and Massa barely took fourth over Alonso. It was shocking that they could ruin their own race like that so completely. No mechanical problems or anything. No real problems with race pace. Bottas in third finished only 8 seconds back.

Just all sorts of epic fail on a race they could have won. Had it stayed dry today and Bottas allowed by in the first stint he could well have won this one, too. Fortunately, the pit wall screwing your race can happen regardless of conditions!

The entertainment value shoots up about 1000% just by having 4 cars in the shot of the front of the field instead of 2! When it became clear everyone was 1-stopping it seemed even more insane that all 4 were pushing that hard for that many laps and not wrecking their tyres. Just fantastic. There are a number of power circuits left this year. The Williams doesn't have any downforce at all, but at least it lets them give Mercedes some trouble on the faster tracks.

God damn Williams. Everytime they get near potentially winning a race their bottle crashes.

If i was head of strategy i'd have:

- Pitted Bottas first to allow him some clear air on his outlap as an undercut.
- Kept Massa out until the mercs caught him as the 'DRS zone' would be further away by taking Bottas out of the equation.
- Pitted Bottas when the guy said 'I need to pit' instead of holding out for what 5 fucking laps?

Total joke when it comes to strategy. How they go from 1st and 2nd to 4th and 5th is beyond me. Being the race leaders at the time they should have run their own race instead of worrying about what Merc was gonna do. they were reactive instead of being proactive.

It was ridiculous on all sorts of levels.

Had they pitted Massa early, they could have had Bottas holding up Hamilton (and Bottas would have been faster too) whilst Massa threw in some hot laps. Could have even pitted Bottas for a similar result.

Still, I reckon it would have been meaningless in the end given how bad their wet pace was.

FuturusX

It was ridiculous on all sorts of levels.

Had they pitted Massa early, they could have had Bottas holding up Hamilton (and Bottas would have been faster too) whilst Massa threw in some hot laps. Could have even pitted Bottas for a similar result.

Still, I reckon it would have been meaningless in the end given how bad their wet pace was.

Agreed. The wet race pace was not good at all. I think the Mercedes undercut threw them for a loop. They did not expect it. After that they were always reacting.

DieH@rd

Banned

Shame the Merc vs Will was decided not because of racing skill, but because of pit wall bullshitery. But at the end HAM made an excellent call by himself when he was in tough situation, so at least there was that.

hitgirl

Gosh, Williams strategy continues to suck. Merc has led for so long that everyone forgot how to lead a race.

Lewis hail marry pit stop shows that Lewis continues to create his own chances. While Nico sort of just waits for something to happen.

Shaneus

I'm only halfway through watching the race, and holy fuck... Williams team/pit strategy has completely fucked them AGAIN.

No idea who their strategist is, but they need to sack them something severe. After such a great start, they completely fucked it.

Edit: And holy shit, WIL also fucked up with the inters strategy around lap 43, giving Vettel a podium. Wow. Bottas must be looking at Ferrari thinking "Hmmm...".

Lego Boss

Austria 2014. Cost Mercedes the sweep of poles for the year by locking out the front row & were 1-2 going into the pitstops. They even had a bonus gift of Hamilton starting 9th because he botched his Q3 runs AND Mercedes botched Lewis' first stop. I think both Mercedes had brake issues, too? I'm just running this on immediate memory. Anyway, despite that, Hamilton finished second behind Rosberg and was faster the entire race (just couldn't pull off a pass). Bottas third and Massa barely took fourth over Alonso. It was shocking that they could ruin their own race like that so completely. No mechanical problems or anything. No real problems with race pace. Bottas in third finished only 8 seconds back.

Just all sorts of epic fail on a race they could have won. Had it stayed dry today and Bottas allowed by in the first stint he could well have won this one, too. Fortunately, the pit wall screwing your race can happen regardless of conditions!
The entertainment value shoots up about 1000% just by having 4 cars in the shot of the front of the field instead of 2! When it became clear everyone was 1-stopping it seemed even more insane that all 4 were pushing that hard for that many laps and not wrecking their tyres. Just fantastic. There are a number of power circuits left this year. The Williams doesn't have any downforce at all, but at least it lets them give Mercedes some trouble on the faster tracks.

Only if they get a start start like a DeLorean in Back to the Future. That was an anomaly, don't see it happening many times again this year.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Also, we are forgetting that WIL is utter crap in the rain. They sucked last year and they suck this year, car simply lost all DF in wet.

Plus their pit stops are slooow, Lewis gained whole second compared to Massa in the pits.

Not to wave my Kimi-Defence-Force badge, but I don't think Kimi deserves the bashing he's getting because of the tyre call

If you think of it, 5 other drivers pitted with him and got it wrong, Williams got it a bit too late, Hamilton's call only became "perfect" after he entered the pit, so he could've got it wrong as well. With rain it's always a 50/50 decision, if it rained when Kimi pitted he would've looked brilliant and Ferrari would've looked stupid for advising to keep the drivers out. Not that they don't have a fair track-record of bad strategy calls, especially with rain (e.g Malaysia 2009)

Kimi was brilliant throughout the weekend, and I have no doubt that he'll bounce back next race, but hopefully it's not too late

Staab

Not to wave my Kimi-Defence-Force badge, but I don't think Kimi deserves the bashing he's getting because of the tyre call

If you think of it, 5 other drivers pitted with him and got it wrong, Williams got it a bit too late, Hamilton's call only became "perfect" after he entered the pit, so he could've got it wrong as well. With rain it's always a 50/50 decision, if it rained when Kimi pitted he would've looked brilliant and Ferrari would've looked stupid for advising to keep the drivers out. Not that they don't have a fair track-record of bad strategy calls, especially with rain (e.g Malaysia 2009)

Kimi was brilliant throughout the weekend, and I have no doubt that he'll bounce back next race, but hopefully it's not too late
His performance has been abysmal this year, I don't think even one or two good GPs can turn it around for him.
It's sad, I used to be a big fan, but he has completely lost it (can't get to grips with tyres, new engines, whatever...).

Lego Boss

It will happen a lot this year with the new start rules.

I guess judging by your user name you would say that!

I think it remains to be seen. Obviously if they can get in front it looks like the Williams can hurt the MErcs, but I'm not convinced they can hold them off on the high speed Tilke circuits.

We'll see though, it was certainly an interesting race yesterday.

His performance has been abysmal this year, I don't think even one or two good GPs can turn it around for him.
It's sad, I used to be a big fan, but he has completely lost it (can't get to grips with tyres, new engines, whatever...).

If it's like 2009 he starts to drive great right after he gets booted lol.

Lego Boss

OMG only just seen the part of the Ron Dennis interview where he called Jordan the village idiot.
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...ron-dennis-calls-eddie-jordan-a-village-idiot

Dennis thought that Whitmarsh was doing a bad job, so undertook a coup to get rid of him.

Now, the team (and not just the engine), is really poor and that's got to be due to Dennis and as CEO he has to take responsibility for it and it's difficult to disagree with EJ on that one.

It's the blind leading the blind their at the moment: Boullier has no idea what's going on with Honda and now, even the drivers are taking each other out (even if it was by accident), it shows how far they have fallen: if they weren't at the back of the grid, it wouldn't happen.

Dilly

Banned
Aston Martin looking for a partnership with Williams, Force India or Lotus. Lots of rumours about AM entering regardless of what team, should be cool.

Juicy Bob

McLaren's brand has taken a direct hit because of Dennis's arrogance.

He might not control the engine or the car, obviously, but after how abysmal the team has performed over the last few years is it any wonder that no one is willing to pay top dollar to become a title sponsor for this team?

Trying to rebuild the brand, sales are down.

F1 has the kind of audience that buys Astons, so it makes a little sense at least.

It would be nice if it was more than a novelty, like the partnership between Infinity and Red Bull. Just having the logo and name on the car and team wouldn't do much, imo.

Dilly

Banned
It would be nice if it was more than a novelty, like the partnership between Infinity and Red Bull. Just having the logo and name on the car and team wouldn't do much, imo.

Yeah, it's pretty just sponsorship coming with an AM badge on a Mercedes engine.

Trying to rebuild the brand, sales are down.

F1 has the kind of audience that buys Astons, so it makes a little sense at least.

A better idea might be to build Astons people want.

They are good looking cars but from a driving, engineering and modernization standpoint, very far behind the competition.

McLaren's brand has taken a direct hit because of Dennis's arrogance.

He might not control the engine or the car, obviously, but after how abysmal the team has performed over the last few years is it any wonder that no one is willing to pay top dollar to become a title sponsor for this team?
I'm at the point where I think the ghost of Bruce McLaren is haunting Ron's office.

I've yet to see the race (not sure if I ever will, because I don't use torrents and don't know any other source), but it's interesting to see Williams being open like this.

WILLIAMS RACING ‏@WilliamsRacing 51m51 minutes ago

It's great to see so many messages of support still flowing in from the #BritishGP
And the less supportive messages: Team orders = negative reaction. Letting drivers race each other = negative reaction too. Can't please all

Ark

Hahahahaha.

I've yet to see the race (not sure if I ever will, because I don't use torrents and don't know any other source), but it's interesting to see Williams being open like this.

It's great to see so many messages of support still flowing in from the #BritishGP
And the less supportive messages: Team orders = negative reaction. Letting drivers race each other = negative reaction too. Can't please all

They're performing the best they've performed in a very long time and people are giving them utter shit for each decision they make. Arm chair strategists are aplenty lately.

Mohonky

Kjust watched the race. I think that is the first time I have ever seen a pit stop actually work in favour of or actually executed at the time right to Hamiltons advantage. After years of Mclaren fucking him in the pits and whatever that bullshit in Monaco was, he seemingly got the perfect pit window this time round. Usually if a pit is going to make or break a Hamilton race, its always a break.

Curious to know where his speed went when Rosberg was catching him; just wasnt able to make the tyres work like Rosberg in the interchangable conditions, run the tyres down to far, no idea, but the sifference between them was like two totally different cars despite them both pitting within a lap of one another, was odd.

Kimi continues to look like a chicken with its head cut off. I swear he's drunk most races.

Speaking of drunk, Williams strategists. No one can grab a loss from a victory quite like Williams. They probably were never going to finish ahead of the Mercs but how they let Vettel get between them and the Mercs is quite the mystery.

Alonso gets points.....yay? Total throw away season.

Lucius86

Banned
Did you watch this race, literally everyone watching knew the strategy to take and even then Williams still couldn't.

When half the people in this thread are better at F1 than you are, you're pretty much screwed. And yes, a joke.

Please. Just because I don't post here often these days (mainly because of the quality of discussion has gone down the pan in recent years) doesn't mean I don't watch the races.

People make bad judgment calls, and Williams missed theirs by pitting one lap too late. They have made poor decisions in the past. They are one of the weaker strategic teams, no doubt.

But does that warrant them to be branded as a joke team? No. They actually gave Mercedes a race on Sunday until the rain came along. Unlike Ferrari, FI, McLaren, Sauber, Manor, Lotus, Torro Rosso & Red Bull. So are they all a joke too in your eyes? Because they should be by your logic.

Talk about armchair fans...

Dilly

Banned
Please. Just because I don't post here often these days (mainly because of the quality of discussion has gone down the pan in recent years) doesn't mean I don't watch the races.

People make bad judgment calls, and Williams missed theirs by pitting one lap too late. They have made poor decisions in the past. They are one of the weaker strategic teams, no doubt.

But does that warrant them to be branded as a joke team? No. They actually gave Mercedes a race on Sunday until the rain came along. Unlike Ferrari, FI, McLaren, Sauber, Manor, Lotus, Torro Rosso & Red Bull. So are they all a joke too in your eyes? Because they should be by your logic.

Talk about armchair fans...

This! Calling a privateer team with a much, much smaller budget compared to manufacturers a joke because they nearly missed out on a win a joke to F1 is just ridiculous.

This joke of an F1 team beat Ferrari that poured 100mil into engine development alone for this season, that's probably pretty close to William's annual budget.

TCRS

Banned

hola unblocker + bbc i player = best F1 experience

DD

I wonder if Bottas has something already set with Ferrari, for calling out Williams like that and putting himself above his teammate. Or is he just getting cocky? Not that he was harsh or something, but he didn't seemed to have a clear overtaking chance, even with DRS open twice per lap. If Massa was really holding him back like he said, Hamilton would be all over him, and Rosberg over Lewis too. Felipe was faster then Valtteri on the qualifying, his fastest lap on the race was much better than Valtteri's, and he was much faster on hard tires too. So I don't know who he's trying to fool...

Watching the race (Hola on Chrome works) and the first few laps were great. On lap 16 now and what the hell is going on with Ferrari. It's easy to say that they developed backwards yet again, as much as Kimi claims otherwise. There's just no pace. Seb not getting past Kyvat at the beginning was funny, too.

e: Also, pretty bad stops by Ferrari so far. 3.1 and 3.3 seconds is not great.

I wonder if Bottas has something already set with Ferrari, for calling out Williams like that and putting himself above his teammate. Or is he just getting cocky? Not that he was harsh or something, but he didn't seemed to have a clear overtaking chance, even with DRS open twice per lap. If Massa was really holding him back like he said, Hamilton would be all over him, and Rosberg over Lewis too. Felipe was faster then Valtteri on the qualifying, his fastest lap on the race was much better than Valtteri's, and he was much faster on hard tires too. So I don't know who he's trying to fool...

Maybe I'm biased but since last year I noticed that he is a bit cocky, but he was still polite.

DD

Rubens didn't gave up his dream to return to F1. He won the South American Rotax Kart championship, which gave him the opportunity to drive at the World Rotax Championship, at Portugal. See you next year rocking with Formula 4s, Rubens! #Barrichello2021SauberProject

I finished the race and wished I didn't watch it at all. The short segment with the rain was nice and all, but I really wasn't excited throughout the whole race at all. Saying that it was the most exciting race of the season got my hopes up way too much. What a waste of time.

Ark

I finished the race and wished I didn't watch it at all. The short segment with the rain was nice and all, but I really wasn't excited throughout the whole race at all. Saying that it was the most exciting race of the season got my hopes up way too much. What a waste of time.

It was mega-intense as a live event. I'm impressed people even watch the full race if it's not live.

Top Bottom